PDA

View Full Version : NFL Sunday Ticket - Ordering Tips

Third Eye
07-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Hello fellow Dolphans, I am a longtime NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber and wanted to share my ordering tips, specifically on how to get the most for your ever decreasing dollar. A little history for you first: I have ordered Sunday Ticket every year since 1997 and last year upgraded to a new 61 inch Samsung HD DLP that is absolutely phenomenal. The downside is of course to get Sunday Ticket in HD, you need to order Superfan which I will get to right now..........

1. Sunday Ticket "discount" ordering is available right now; you can order Sunday Ticket for the discounted rate of $249.00 through July 31. This is likely $20 less than what you would pay after the discount ends - not really much of a discount.

2. If you have an HD compatible TV, you can order "Super Fan" which is another $100 and allows you to watch all the games in HD. This is an absolute must if you have a large TV like I do. Once you watch in HD, you will not ever want to go back. Therefore, Superfan is a must - but at $350 it is a huge cost.

3. Sunday, July 6, 2008 I made the 1-800-Directv call to order Sunday Ticket and get the most for my dollar. Tip 1: never order online or via the phone using the automated system. You will be billed and will not get to negotiate your best deal.

4. After dealing with the menu prompts for about 10 minutes, my initial goal of getting a live representative on the line came to fruition. This is where Tip 2 comes in: always be cordial and polite/friendly to the sales rep. This is the person who controls your destiny.

5. I asked for information on Sunday Ticket, and the rep said I was already automatically renewed (they do this for returning customers; you need to cancel your subscription to get out of the renewal). I said well lets wait a minute, how much is it? (I already knew but its time to play the game).

6. Tip 3: act shocked at the pricing, but in a nice way. Then after the initial shock wears off, ask if it includes HD. The rep will go into a discussion on Superfan, and this is where you can get even more shocked and say "its $350 now, that is just amazing." This is where you can say you just dropped $2500 on a new HD TV and can't believe this is what its going to cost, etc etc....

7. Once the shock discussion fades, you immediately go into "what can we do to improve this price" discussion. Tip 4: your goal is to get as much as possible for your Sunday Ticket Order. The rep wants you to commit to Sunday Ticket, and he/she is generally willing to concede something in return.

8. Tip 5: before you call for your order, first decide what you want in exchange for your Sunday Ticket order. Some ideas are: free Superfan, an additional free HD receiver upgrade, free HBO/Cimemax/Starz for 3-6 months, etc.

9. Ask the rep if there is anything they can do about the cost. Remember, if you are an HD viewer thru DirecTV, you have to subscribe to HD programming at an ADDITIONAL 9.99 a month on your bill. This is generally a commitment (one year, two years, etc). You can sign up for two years of HD programming in exchange for waiving the Superfan fee, for instance.

10. Continue to negotiate with the sales rep for as much as you can get in exchange for your offer. Do not overwhelm him with offers, just make one and see how it plays out. Tip 6: if you are getting nowhere with your sales rep, you can ask for his/her supervisor and go through the explanation again. If all else fails, politely hang up and say you need to think about it. Then call back later and you will get a different sales rep, hopefully with more success.

I have 4 TV's independently hooked up to DirecTV meaning I can watch 4 games if I want in different parts of the house (my family might kill me if I tried this)... All 4 are flat screen HD TVs however I currently only have HD receivers on two of the TV's (the other 2 TV's use standard DirecTV receivers therefore standard definition). My first two HD receivers were both free from DirecTV through negotiation and commitment to HD programming for two years. My first was last August in prep for the 2007 season, while my second free receiver was shipped to me in January of 2008 and now my sights were set on #3 for the kitchen. These are $100 receivers at Best Buy or through DirecTV.

My call yesterday ended up with a Sunday Ticket order at $249 to be billed monthly for 6 months along with free Superfan (the rep waived it without me signing up for anything additional) and a free HD receiver for only $19 shipping and handling (I asked for the rep's supervisor when the rep would not get this done for me). Flat out, they stated they are no longer shipping free HD receivers but I stated I was told I was eligible for a free HD receiver upgrade every 6 months - and 6 months was up - this was a fact in Jan 2008. Tip 7: negotiate one deal at a time. I did the Superfan discussion first then after my Sunday Ticket was ordered, I THEN brought up the receiver issue. My goal was a third upgraded receiver at no charge, which eventually happened but as I said, I had to go through his supervisor.

I just want everyone to be aware that everything is negotiable, especially at DirecTV. If you are considering HD upgraded prgramming and havent as yet, you hold a big negotiation card. Remember, you can exchange two years of HD programming commitment for something you want in exchange. Tip 8: plan on some time on the phone. My call was 70 minutes and that's what it took between discussion and various times of being placed on hold.

For any of you thinking I am swinding DirecTV, think again. I am merely getting the best deal I can from a company charging me $60 per month for HD programming from a satellite in the sky. It is in all of our best interests to try to get the best deal possible.

I hope this helps!! Good luck and go Fins.

Califin
07-08-2008, 05:50 AM
For any of you thinking I am swinding DirecTV, think again. I am merely getting the best deal I can from a company charging me $60 per month for HD programming from a satellite in the sky

$60 a month for just HD?

Isn't there a charge for operating additional recievers?

Geez Third Eye, sounds like you've got the works, just curious what sorta bill do you open up in August?

Clayton84
07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I just said i wasn't renewing Sunday Ticket becuase of the extra $100 for superfan and they agreed to waive it. 6 minute call lol.

eger
07-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I pay $100 and change for internet and cable per month. No chance in hell I am throwing another $350 away to pay for "digital airwaves" to the local cable or Satellite providers. Eventhough I just purchased a nice big HD set, I will watch whatever the Local Programming Gods have provided to us and Dolphin games. Besides, I only care about 1 team. Any othjer team I can watch highlights on SportsCenter, ticker at the bottom of my screen, halftime highlights, and Yahoo's fantasy tracker. :woot:

Just tired of getting raped by TV providers.

Mr772
07-08-2008, 11:23 AM
DirecTV and the NFL have a nice little exclusivity con going don’t they. Stifle any possibility of competition and raise the price every 20 minutes.

SuperMarksBros.
07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I called to cancel 2 weeks ago, citing the bogus $100 superfan fee. I mentioned I'd be willing to renew if he'd be willing to give me a break on superfan. He cancelled me without thinking twice.

I love my dolphins, but gas and food are through the roof. Nearly $400 is just too much. Guess I'll be watching the helmets move back and forth on nfl.com this season.

eger
07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I called to cancel 2 weeks ago, citing the bogus $100 superfan fee. I mentioned I'd be willing to renew if he'd be willing to give me a break on superfan. He cancelled me without thinking twice.

I love my dolphins, but gas and food are through the roof. Nearly $400 is just too much. Guess I'll be watching the helmets move back and forth on nfl.com this season.

Agreed, my FPL shot up to $250 this month and I only live in a 1400 ft Townhome.

Phorever Phins
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
If I have a HD reciever in the living room and wanted to upgrade and move the old one to the bedroom. Could I get one for free with a 2 year hd committment

Third Eye
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
$60 a month for just HD?

Isn't there a charge for operating additional recievers?

Geez Third Eye, sounds like you've got the works, just curious what sorta bill do you open up in August?

What I meant by $60 per month is my approximate monthly bill total without Sunday Ticket.

This would include:

Total Choice programming
HD package (9.99)
Four total receivers

Sunday ticket of $41 per month for 6 months is in addition to this bill.

This is why I have no problem getting all I can for my Sunday Ticket order...

Third Eye
07-08-2008, 12:47 PM

I understand your frustration. Before you give up, see my tips on calling back and getting a different sales rep and/or asking for the supervisor to discuss it.

Schleprock
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I should do this, I have come to the realization that I love DirecTV service and HD, but the price is getting smurfing ridiculous.

I have 3 plasma TVs. 2 are on HD receivers. 1 of the HD receiveers is HD-Tivo, the 1 SD receiver has regular Tivo. I pay $72.99 for the HD channel package. $4.99 lease fee for EACH HD receiver. $4.99 for EACH Tivo receiver. My bill is $93 a month for 3 TVs, 2 of which have HD. IMO, that's getting ridiculous. However, Comcast isn't any better price-wise and their HD isn't as good. Plus no Sunday Ticket.

Ghostfx123
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I worked for DTV for about a year so there is a better trick. I would simply wait tell the middle of august when DTV offers the NFL Sunday ticket special. Which will get you every channel plus Sunday ticket for $60 a month. The only catch is you have to be a new customer. There are ways around that as well pm me if you want some options with that. My advice to anyone who hasn't ordered yet and is not a DTV subscriber already is to wait they will run the special don't wast your money.

DeeperImage
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I worked for DTV for about a year so there is a better trick. I would simply wait tell the middle of august when DTV offers the NFL Sunday ticket special. Which will get you every channel plus Sunday ticket for $60 a month. The only catch is you have to be a new customer. There are ways around that as well pm me if you want some options with that. My advice to anyone who hasn't ordered yet and is not a DTV subscriber already is to wait they will run the special don't wast your money.
Nice..I will follow your advice..I've been with Comcast for like 10 years. But I really want the Sunday ticket. I hate the fact that DTV has a damn monopoly on it.

Sofa_King_Drunk
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Agreed, my FPL shot up to $250 this month and I only live in a 1400 ft Townhome.

Add in another $20 next month for the 8% increase they got. Lucky us, they were asking for 16%!

phinfan40353
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Hello fellow Dolphans, I am a longtime NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber and wanted to share my ordering tips, specifically on how to get the most for your ever decreasing dollar. A little history for you first: I have ordered Sunday Ticket every year since 1997 and last year upgraded to a new 61 inch Samsung HD DLP that is absolutely phenomenal. The downside is of course to get Sunday Ticket in HD, you need to order Superfan which I will get to right now..........

1. Sunday Ticket "discount" ordering is available right now; you can order Sunday Ticket for the discounted rate of $249.00 through July 31. This is likely $20 less than what you would pay after the discount ends - not really much of a discount.

2. If you have an HD compatible TV, you can order "Super Fan" which is another $100 and allows you to watch all the games in HD. This is an absolute must if you have a large TV like I do. Once you watch in HD, you will not ever want to go back. Therefore, Superfan is a must - but at $350 it is a huge cost.

3. Sunday, July 6, 2008 I made the 1-800-Directv call to order Sunday Ticket and get the most for my dollar. Tip 1: never order online or via the phone using the automated system. You will be billed and will not get to negotiate your best deal.

4. After dealing with the menu prompts for about 10 minutes, my initial goal of getting a live representative on the line came to fruition. This is where Tip 2 comes in: always be cordial and polite/friendly to the sales rep. This is the person who controls your destiny.

5. I asked for information on Sunday Ticket, and the rep said I was already automatically renewed (they do this for returning customers; you need to cancel your subscription to get out of the renewal). I said well lets wait a minute, how much is it? (I already knew but its time to play the game).

6. Tip 3: act shocked at the pricing, but in a nice way. Then after the initial shock wears off, ask if it includes HD. The rep will go into a discussion on Superfan, and this is where you can get even more shocked and say "its $350 now, that is just amazing." This is where you can say you just dropped $2500 on a new HD TV and can't believe this is what its going to cost, etc etc....

7. Once the shock discussion fades, you immediately go into "what can we do to improve this price" discussion. Tip 4: your goal is to get as much as possible for your Sunday Ticket Order. The rep wants you to commit to Sunday Ticket, and he/she is generally willing to concede something in return.

8. Tip 5: before you call for your order, first decide what you want in exchange for your Sunday Ticket order. Some ideas are: free Superfan, an additional free HD receiver upgrade, free HBO/Cimemax/Starz for 3-6 months, etc.

9. Ask the rep if there is anything they can do about the cost. Remember, if you are an HD viewer thru DirecTV, you have to subscribe to HD programming at an ADDITIONAL 9.99 a month on your bill. This is generally a commitment (one year, two years, etc). You can sign up for two years of HD programming in exchange for waiving the Superfan fee, for instance.

10. Continue to negotiate with the sales rep for as much as you can get in exchange for your offer. Do not overwhelm him with offers, just make one and see how it plays out. Tip 6: if you are getting nowhere with your sales rep, you can ask for his/her supervisor and go through the explanation again. If all else fails, politely hang up and say you need to think about it. Then call back later and you will get a different sales rep, hopefully with more success.

I have 4 TV's independently hooked up to DirecTV meaning I can watch 4 games if I want in different parts of the house (my family might kill me if I tried this)... All 4 are flat screen HD TVs however I currently only have HD receivers on two of the TV's (the other 2 TV's use standard DirecTV receivers therefore standard definition). My first two HD receivers were both free from DirecTV through negotiation and commitment to HD programming for two years. My first was last August in prep for the 2007 season, while my second free receiver was shipped to me in January of 2008 and now my sights were set on #3 for the kitchen. These are $100 receivers at Best Buy or through DirecTV.

My call yesterday ended up with a Sunday Ticket order at $249 to be billed monthly for 6 months along with free Superfan (the rep waived it without me signing up for anything additional) and a free HD receiver for only $19 shipping and handling (I asked for the rep's supervisor when the rep would not get this done for me). Flat out, they stated they are no longer shipping free HD receivers but I stated I was told I was eligible for a free HD receiver upgrade every 6 months - and 6 months was up - this was a fact in Jan 2008. Tip 7: negotiate one deal at a time. I did the Superfan discussion first then after my Sunday Ticket was ordered, I THEN brought up the receiver issue. My goal was a third upgraded receiver at no charge, which eventually happened but as I said, I had to go through his supervisor.

I just want everyone to be aware that everything is negotiable, especially at DirecTV. If you are considering HD upgraded prgramming and havent as yet, you hold a big negotiation card. Remember, you can exchange two years of HD programming commitment for something you want in exchange. Tip 8: plan on some time on the phone. My call was 70 minutes and that's what it took between discussion and various times of being placed on hold.

For any of you thinking I am swinding DirecTV, think again. I am merely getting the best deal I can from a company charging me $60 per month for HD programming from a satellite in the sky. It is in all of our best interests to try to get the best deal possible.

Following your advice, I tried this tactic today.

I just recently bought a 42" Plasma. My first HDTV.

I've also just been billed my first installment of NFL Ticket (my 3rd year). I called to inquire about upgrading my base package to HD ($9.99/mo) and adding a second receiver ($4.99/mo).

After my first call, they gave me a $10/month credit toward my bill for the 6 billing cycles of NFL Ticket. I still got stuck with the $125 for the new HD receiver.

Upon the second call (much friendly and ACCOMODATING rep), I inquired about SuperFan (to get HD NFL Ticket). Told her I was upgrading to the HD package and "wondered" if my NFL Ticket subscription was in HD.

She said "no" and I "wondered" how much it would cost to upgrade NFL Ticket to HD. She said I'd have to get SuperFan for an additional $99. I complained how NFL Ticket had been going up in price each year and wasn't getting any additional "services" for the increase in fee. And, SHE offered to that "you might cancel your NFL Ticket subscription?". Almost like she had heard this so many times she wanted to cut to the chase. But, she was a super nice rep. I'll give her that.

She threw in SuperFan for FREE and gave me a 3 month trial of their HD Extra or any HD Movie Channel.

So, 2 phone calls and a little "playing dumb" later... I'm gonna get SuperFan for free, 6 months of HD programming upgrades for free and 3 months of a premium movie channel package for free.

I'm only out the $125 for the receiver. Not to mention, I'm getting a new dish and the installation is scheduled for this weekend.

So, I didn't get the sweetheart deal, but I am getting HD programming and NFL HD for the same price I was originally going to pay for just NFL ticket and normal programming.

I consider it a small victory.

Thanks!

phinfan40353
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice..I will follow your advice..I've been with Comcast for like 10 years. But I really want the Sunday ticket. I hate the fact that DTV has a damn monopoly on it.

Give it time...

DirecTV's days are numbered. If anyone has been paying attention, the NFL is about to become the first league to broadcast all of it's own games.

The NFL Network is in it's infancy. They're already broadcasting a few games each year. They will start to increase their game shares slowly. But, I envision "Sunday Ticket" will eventually fade away. Instead, I see NFL Network expanding to about 20 channels during NFL season and broadcasting their own games.

Like I say, this "business model" is in it's infancy. But, I realized when NFL Network was launched, the NFL was telling the TV world the end was coming.

The NFL has licensed, branded and monopolized it's own product more than any other sport. This is the next step for the NFL product.

So, in the near future, I see "Sunday Ticket" being a NFL Network programming add-on available through Dish, DirecTV or any other major provider.

DirecTV's days are numbered.

Schleprock
07-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Give it time...

DirecTV's days are numbered. If anyone has been paying attention, the NFL is about to become the first league to broadcast all of it's own games.

The NFL Network is in it's infancy. They're already broadcasting a few games each year. They will start to increase their game shares slowly. But, I envision "Sunday Ticket" will eventually fade away. Instead, I see NFL Network expanding to about 20 channels during NFL season and broadcasting their own games.

Like I say, this "business model" is in it's infancy. But, I realized when NFL Network was launched, the NFL was telling the TV world the end was coming.

The NFL has licensed, branded and monopolized it's own product more than any other sport. This is the next step for the NFL product.

So, in the near future, I see "Sunday Ticket" being a NFL Network programming add-on available through Dish, DirecTV or any other major provider.

DirecTV's days are numbered.
Nope.

People were saying this 5 years ago, DirecTVs contract expired, and the NFL renewed with them because no other service wanted to pay a substantial amount for the Sunday Ticket. We've got cable networks causing a big problem with just the NFL Network....imagine if it were the Ticket or games.

The NFL will NEVER broadcast its own games in its entirety. WAAAAAY too much money in it for the NFL NOT to have the broadcast networks pay THEM to broadcast their games.

MikeO
07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
When you have ESPN paying the NFL $1.1 billion just for Monday Night games and ESPN not requesting any playoff games or a super bowl,......the plan of the NFL broadcasting their own games went out the window.

What the NFL will do is take over the broadcasts though. Maybe be the ones hiring all the announces and having rights over all broadcasts. So they can start charging to air games over the internet, cell phones...etc and circumvent CBS, FOX, NBC...etc.

FINS4LIFE16
07-09-2008, 09:44 AM
You are absolutely right about everything being negotiable with directv, I got my son and myself free HD DVR's from directv because we were premium customers (all movie channels etc..). Although it took a real fight to get it.

Dphins
07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks I just got Superfan for Free!

phinfan40353
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
When you have ESPN paying the NFL $1.1 billion just for Monday Night games and ESPN not requesting any playoff games or a super bowl,......the plan of the NFL broadcasting their own games went out the window.

What the NFL will do is take over the broadcasts though. Maybe be the ones hiring all the announces and having rights over all broadcasts. So they can start charging to air games over the internet, cell phones...etc and circumvent CBS, FOX, NBC...etc.

Which is why I say, give it time. They are milking the current setups to the max as they, basically, allow the other networks to pay for NFL Network's eventual investment into supporting their own broadcasts.

Think about all the expendentures the networks have in moving the equipment, setting it up and other overhead associated with broadcasting the game. Why? Because their in the NFL's house.

IF you're the NFL, you set up the equipment in 32 sites: DONE. No moving, no setup.

Oh sure, it's far off. But, I'm just saying... the road is being paved with other networks' money. And, let's not forget the earning potential the NFL will have with commercial rights and other advertisement revenue during their broadcasts.

I still see this happening one day. Because, after all, the NFL is the most innovative and directed professional sports league in America.

The NFL is a business. Successful businesses grow vertically (broadcasting, merchandising, etc) and horizontally (international games, Thursday Night games, etc) in order to remain a profitable ongoing concern.

The NFL Network was just a toe dipping into the water. There's bigger plans unfolding.

dramaMEAN
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
^interesting post.. i think it sounds logical..

does anybody have any tips on removing DirecTV and or lowering the bill.. i recently separated and my wife - who is still at the house - has no need for the service.. i am paying a ****load of money for nothing.. i d like to strip it down to basics but when i go online it doesnt seem to save me much money to do so...

sn9ke.eyes
07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
^interesting post.. i think it sounds logical..

does anybody have any tips on removing DirecTV and or lowering the bill.. i recently separated and my wife - who is still at the house - has no need for the service.. i am paying a ****load of money for nothing.. i d like to strip it down to basics but when i go online it doesnt seem to save me much money to do so...

your best chance is to call and see if you are still in contract, if so cancel, if not ask what the early termination fee is and price that vs. what you are paying every month for the rest of the contract.

you can also call the movers service and have your service "moved" to your new location if they will let directv put up a dish there.

Phins Rock
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey, does anybody know....I have comcast btw, and they don't offer a football package, I know, BS.....if there's any place that i can see the games online, and live obviously??

Thanks

rickfinsfan
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
I have been able to do this for 3 straight years now!!! First my name next year my wifes name then again with my name. I Then cancel direct tv and go back to comcast a month after the football season. I will be making my annual call next month.

PhinSoldia
07-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I just wonder why this thread hasnt been banned because trying to short up the system is clearly against Directv Policy and thus against FCC guidlines to run a site showing tidbits on how to "beat the man"

you want my opinion..no i dont like the fact that we monopolize sunday ticket because competition makes us all the more better at what we do and who we are...but i can talk about the cards im dealt and chase carey makes the decisions on what we do and who we can or cannot manopolize
Im actually saddened by reading all of this...yes i am working for the company and i have worked damn hard to be a supervisor so really reading this mess from Finfans just shows me the world i Live in...

Just to let you know ricksfins

there is a winback department that doesnt have the sunday ticket as a returning cust now so if you want to activate a new account with new equipment and thus have a new commitment dont waste your time...sorry

Ghost your loyalty in my eyes are shot so i can really not accept anything you say on this messsage board....

and No phinfan Directv's days are not numbered unless because if you havent noticed once the NFL can make more money by manopolizing they will. so unless you want to pay for internet streams through yahoo and then its like 300 dollars i think you can...

IM not done with this thread because im too pissed off to breathe i have work to do

PerfectFinz72
07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
I just wonder why this thread hasnt been banned because trying to short up the system is clearly against Directv Policy and thus against FCC guidlines to run a site showing tidbits on how to "beat the man"

you want my opinion..no i dont like the fact that we monopolize sunday ticket because competition makes us all the more better at what we do and who we are...but i can talk about the cards im dealt and chase carey makes the decisions on what we do and who we can or cannot manopolize
Im actually saddened by reading all of this...yes i am working for the company and i have worked damn hard to be a supervisor so really reading this mess from Finfans just shows me the world i Live in...

there is a winback department that doesnt have the sunday ticket as a returning cust now so if you want to activate a new account with new equipment and thus have a new commitment dont waste your time...sorry

Ghost your loyalty in my eyes are shot so i can really not accept anything you say on this messsage board....

and No phinfan Directv's days are not numbered unless because if you havent noticed once the NFL can make more money by manopolizing they will. so unless you want to pay for internet streams through yahoo and then its like 300 dollars i think you can...

IM not done with this thread because im too pissed off to breathe i have work to do

I have to say, you're not gonna find too many people crying for Directv. I've had (as have many others I know personally) many BAD experiences with directv. So I dont wanna hear about how wronged they are. Directv has some of the rudest, ignorant and poorest customer service departments you'll ever encounter. And yes...those are the nicest things I can say about them.

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Following your advice, I tried this tactic today.

I just recently bought a 42" Plasma. My first HDTV.

I've also just been billed my first installment of NFL Ticket (my 3rd year). I called to inquire about upgrading my base package to HD ($9.99/mo) and adding a second receiver ($4.99/mo).

After my first call, they gave me a $10/month credit toward my bill for the 6 billing cycles of NFL Ticket. I still got stuck with the $125 for the new HD receiver.

Upon the second call (much friendly and ACCOMODATING rep), I inquired about SuperFan (to get HD NFL Ticket). Told her I was upgrading to the HD package and "wondered" if my NFL Ticket subscription was in HD.

She said "no" and I "wondered" how much it would cost to upgrade NFL Ticket to HD. She said I'd have to get SuperFan for an additional $99. I complained how NFL Ticket had been going up in price each year and wasn't getting any additional "services" for the increase in fee. And, SHE offered to that "you might cancel your NFL Ticket subscription?". Almost like she had heard this so many times she wanted to cut to the chase. But, she was a super nice rep. I'll give her that.

She threw in SuperFan for FREE and gave me a 3 month trial of their HD Extra or any HD Movie Channel.

So, 2 phone calls and a little "playing dumb" later... I'm gonna get SuperFan for free, 6 months of HD programming upgrades for free and 3 months of a premium movie channel package for free.

I'm only out the $125 for the receiver. Not to mention, I'm getting a new dish and the installation is scheduled for this weekend.

So, I didn't get the sweetheart deal, but I am getting HD programming and NFL HD for the same price I was originally going to pay for just NFL ticket and normal programming.

I consider it a small victory.

Thanks!

That is great work! I am glad I could help.

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM

"...trying to short up the system is clearly against Directv Policy and thus against FCC guidlines..."

Just because something is against DirecTV policy does not mean it is therefore against FCC guidelines. There is absolutely nothing in this thread that has any FCC violation whatsoever - not even close.

Calling up to "cancel" your subscription, then calling back soon after and "re-applying" is not against any policy at DirecTV nor is it against any FCC guidelines. It may not be the most honorable thing in the world, but if DirecTV had an issue with it, they could easily stop it by cross referencing a phone number or billing address. The fact is DirecTV does not care enough about it because every subscription is more money in their coffer.

The point of this thread was to point out ways to get the most of your Sunday Ticket purchase. If that means a free HD receiver thrown in, a waiver of Superfan, Skin-e-max for a year, or a half pound of jelly bellies fergawdsake, more power to the consumer.

It's no different then going to buy a new box spring and mattress at Sofa King: it's all negotiable. It is in the best interest of every consumer to politely negotiate fair pricing and the best deal possible.

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
I have to say, you're not gonna find too many people crying for Directv. I've had (as have many others I know personally) many BAD experiences with directv. So I dont wanna hear about how wronged they are. Directv has some of the rudest, ignorant and poorest customer service departments you'll ever encounter. And yes...those are the nicest things I can say about them.

You havent had comcast before have you? For one let me say im still in apartment complex and i dont have a line of sight if i was ever on the phone and i said some of the things i would have lost my job easily...but you get some good csrs and some bad everywhere you go....

oh and one more nugget of info for you guys the retention "trick" will cease to work soon because we are now tracking free offers and credits based on how much times yuo threaten to cancel...but dont take my word for it...ask your next retention agent the next time you "want to cancel"

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 12:47 AM
"...trying to short up the system is clearly against Directv Policy and thus against FCC guidlines..."

Just because something is against DirecTV policy does not mean it is therefore against FCC guidelines. There is absolutely nothing in this thread that has any FCC violation whatsoever - not even close.

Calling up to "cancel" your subscription, then calling back soon after and "re-applying" is not against any policy at DirecTV nor is it against any FCC guidelines. It may not be the most honorable thing in the world, but if DirecTV had an issue with it, they could easily stop it by cross referencing a phone number or billing address. The fact is DirecTV does not care enough about it because every subscription is more money in their coffer.

The point of this thread was to point out ways to get the most of your Sunday Ticket purchase. If that means a free HD receiver thrown in, a waiver of Superfan, Skin-e-max for a year, or a half pound of jelly bellies fergawdsake, more power to the consumer.

It's no different then going to buy a new box spring and mattress at Sofa King: it's all negotiable. It is in the best interest of every consumer to politely negotiate fair pricing and the best deal possible.

i guess consumer logic like that is why gas prices are so low and places like Directv havent raised thier rates in 10 years

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 12:56 AM
i guess consumer logic like that is why gas prices are so low and places like Directv havent raised thier rates in 10 years

It goes without saying that every consumer item is not necessarily negotiable. We all wish gas would be, but it isn't. The fact is many things are negotiable, and many of these are items people would not necessarily think are at first glance. Furniture for one most definitely is, just like Sunday Ticket. Gas and candy bars are not. You get my drift.

DirecTV raises their rates on Sunday Ticket every year because they (and more importantly) the NFL have the consumer by the short hairs. Clearly more competition from rivals such as Dish Network would drive the cost of Sunday Ticket down. But the NFL wants no part of that. This is why the NFL signed exclusively with DirecTV - they know the product is so highly in demand that people like me will fork it over to watch their team play 16 times. It's basic supply and demand economics.

This is where my thread comes in. We as consumers can and should get as much as we can for our subscriptions. It's only right in a free trade society.

MikeO
07-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Which is why I say, give it time. They are milking the current setups to the max as they, basically, allow the other networks to pay for NFL Network's eventual investment into supporting their own broadcasts.

Think about all the expendentures the networks have in moving the equipment, setting it up and other overhead associated with broadcasting the game. Why? Because their in the NFL's house.

IF you're the NFL, you set up the equipment in 32 sites: DONE. No moving, no setup.

Oh sure, it's far off. But, I'm just saying... the road is being paved with other networks' money. And, let's not forget the earning potential the NFL will have with commercial rights and other advertisement revenue during their broadcasts.

I still see this happening one day. Because, after all, the NFL is the most innovative and directed professional sports league in America.

The NFL is a business. Successful businesses grow vertically (broadcasting, merchandising, etc) and horizontally (international games, Thursday Night games, etc) in order to remain a profitable ongoing concern.

The NFL Network was just a toe dipping into the water. There's bigger plans unfolding.

Your right and wrong.

WRONG in that the NFL will never leave the NETWORKS. I mean they need the networks to air the SUPER BOWL each year!!!

Also WRONG that congress COULD step in any time now and blow up the NFL NETWORK and how the NFL air's games there. Why do you think Goodell put the Pats-Giants Week 17 game on CBS and NBC. Because he is a nice guy?????????????????? NO. To get Congress off his back cause you can't beat Congres and the NFL is in the "wrong" on the NFL NETWORK dealings.

The NFL wants to be able to start broadcasting games online, via cell phones./blackberrys and a million other new ways. OnDemand. Stuff like that. They still need to play-ball with the Networks. But they might take less money from the Networks to gain more control over the content and more ownership rights.

FOR EXAMPLE:::: I mean if your CBS and you just paid $800 mill for the rights of AFC games you dont' want the NFL to put those games ONline. Where CBS won't get the add money and stuff like that for commericals. CBS is now hurt. Now, if the NFL only asks CBS for some $400 mill for the same rights, then maybe CBS turns a blind eye to such new ventures like OnDemand and Internet Feeds. The NFL will make up that lost money 10Xfold in those other ventures adn everyone wins

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 03:03 AM
It goes without saying that every consumer item is not necessarily negotiable. We all wish gas would be, but it isn't. The fact is many things are negotiable, and many of these are items people would not necessarily think are at first glance. Furniture for one most definitely is, just like Sunday Ticket. Gas and candy bars are not. You get my drift.

DirecTV raises their rates on Sunday Ticket every year because they (and more importantly) the NFL have the consumer by the short hairs. Clearly more competition from rivals such as Dish Network would drive the cost of Sunday Ticket down. But the NFL wants no part of that. This is why the NFL signed exclusively with DirecTV - they know the product is so highly in demand that people like me will fork it over to watch their team play 16 times. It's basic supply and demand economics.

This is where my thread comes in. We as consumers can and should get as much as we can for our subscriptions. It's only right in a free trade society.

actually the company raises thier rates because little weasels like you try hard to manipulate the system

Swantoon
07-10-2008, 05:46 AM
I used to work at Directv and Customers that called up and complained like that really got on my nerves. It is an option take it or don't. Quit working the system. I guess the thing that really got on my nerves is that jerks like this get what they want while people who use common sense and don't start crap have to deal with it.

If I had taken your call and you asked for a supervisor you would have been placed on hold while I took a little break maybe read a book for awhile, just do anything until you finally gave up and hung up. Of course you would then call back and get some wimp who would give you what you want.

clownfish
07-10-2008, 08:31 AM
actually the company raises thier rates because little weasels like you try hard to manipulate the system

Wow, don't you think you and Swantoon are over reacting a little here? DTV has monopolized NFL games and we as consumers have ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE, but to subscribe to their programming if we wanna watch our favorite teams in the comfort of our own homes. They overcharge the consumer so they can pay Peyton and Eli Manning millions of dollars to do commercials for them. Why would I have any sympathy for this company whatsoever? They rip me off, so I will attempt to rip them off in any way I can.

And for you to take so much pride in a job that is COMPLETELY meaningless to the progression of society is laughable.......:lol:<---------that's me and a bunch of other Phin fans laughing! Hooray for DirecTV losing money! You should fight for cleaning up the environment or animal rights or something a bit more noble, but apparently you don't like weasels and you probably don't recycle.

burger13
07-10-2008, 09:03 AM

are people weasels who negotiate the prices they pay for cars too?

You act as if DirectTV doesn't have a choice in this....they have the option to stick to their price and not negotiate.....but they choose to. A consumer that doesn't negotiate a negotiable deal is not a smart consumer.

I used to work at Directv and Customers that called up and complained like that really got on my nerves. It is an option take it or don't. Quit working the system. I guess the thing that really got on my nerves is that jerks like this get what they want while people who use common sense and don't start crap have to deal with it.

If I had taken your call and you asked for a supervisor you would have been placed on hold while I took a little break maybe read a book for awhile, just do anything until you finally gave up and hung up. Of course you would then call back and get some wimp who would give you what you want.

you're a real winner. you had a SIMPLE job and you couldn't even handle that. Customer service. Service the customer. Apparently you couldn't even handle that. Hopefully those people called back and did get a supervisor and reported your incompetence.

'People who used common sense' were not the ones who 'don't start crap'....they are the ones who negotiated and got the best price. Again, to go back to my car example, I guess you think using common sense includes walking onto a car lot and paying sticker price? Brilliant!

clownfish
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
are people weasels who negotiate the prices they pay for cars too? Again, to go back to my car example, I guess you think using common sense includes walking onto a car lot and paying sticker price? Brilliant!

Right on Phin brother! Power to the people. Screw the Man.

Didn't you guys know that it's the consumers fault that gas price are up like 300% in 2 years. It has nothing to do with the corrupt government or the greedy oil companies. Screw the little guy. Let a few powerful people run the world and make decisions for all of us. Yay! Hooray or corruption and greed!

PhinzN703
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Sounds great dude but I'd never have the patience or desire to be on the phone for 70 minutes just to still pay 249.99 for something.

I'm cheap. Sue me :lol:

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 12:03 PM

would have been written up lol but thats classic

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Right on Phin brother! Power to the people. Screw the Man.

Didn't you guys know that it's the consumers fault that gas price are up like 300% in 2 years. It has nothing to do with the corrupt government or the greedy oil companies. Screw the little guy. Let a few powerful people run the world and make decisions for all of us. Yay! Hooray or corruption and greed!

yes you actually have a choice get it or dont...if you havent actually noticed the NFL sunday ticket is designed for A people who are hard fans of an out of market team and B people who can AFFORD it...its clear some of you cant...not our fault

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
are people weasels who negotiate the prices they pay for cars too?

You act as if DirectTV doesn't have a choice in this....they have the option to stick to their price and not negotiate.....but they choose to. A consumer that doesn't negotiate a negotiable deal is not a smart consumer.

you're a real winner. you had a SIMPLE job and you couldn't even handle that. Customer service. Service the customer. Apparently you couldn't even handle that. Hopefully those people called back and did get a supervisor and reported your incompetence.

'People who used common sense' were not the ones who 'don't start crap'....they are the ones who negotiated and got the best price. Again, to go back to my car example, I guess you think using common sense includes walking onto a car lot and paying sticker price? Brilliant!

your trying to negotiate something thats NON negotiable is then turned into you trying to manipulate the system...using your car example which is classic i simply wont walk into a car lot and want that Escalade if i cant afford it....and i wont slash the tires and drain the battery to get a cheaper deal the bottom line is either i can afford it or not

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
And for you to take so much pride in a job that is COMPLETELY meaningless to the progression of society is laughable.......:lol:<---------that's me and a bunch of other Phin fans laughing! Hooray for DirecTV losing money! You should fight for cleaning up the environment or animal rights or something a bit more noble, but apparently you don't like weasels and you probably don't recycle.

and for your information i take pride in EVERYTHING i do...and i am loyal to who i work for period and at the time its the fact that i work for Chase Carey and Directv...and i do love the environment and i do love animals...so whats your point

PerfectFinz72
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM

As I said in a previous post...customers may be a pain but the service reps at directv are just as ridiculous at times. I'm telling you...if I had the opporuntity to explain ALL the terrible, TERRIBLE experiences I've had with them you would understand.

Like calling back and having to talk to a different person each time when you're trying to get something resolved. And being trasnferred 150 times thru each phone call after you've explained your situation over and over and over. And then you have to keep explaining until someone actually helps you and doesn't transfer you. And why is it that NO ONE can put notes in your account when they bring it up once the call starts? That makes NO SENSE to me. I shouldnt have to explain whats going on every freakin time...yet I have too. Poor, poor, POOR service over and over. The one thing you can certainly count on is not being satisified.

Oh and one more thing, my favorite interaction of all time:

Directv rep: Thank you for calling directv, my name is <name> and how are you today?

Me: Ehh, not so great. (I said that because of how frustrated I was with them at this point and I even said it in a normal manner....not all angry)

Directv rep: Well, thats good to hear.

Yehhhhhhhhhhhhh. :rolleyes2:

EDIT: And its also good to know thats how you would handle a customer that annoys you....put them on hold and jerk them around till they go away. I think you made my point for me about how ridiculously poor, rude, ignornant and useless Directv customer reps are.

burger13
07-10-2008, 12:49 PM
your trying to negotiate something thats NON negotiable is then turned into you trying to manipulate the system...using your car example which is classic i simply wont walk into a car lot and want that Escalade if i cant afford it....and i wont slash the tires and drain the battery to get a cheaper deal the bottom line is either i can afford it or not

I don't see where whether you can afford something factors in??? Obviously I can afford the car I choose to buy, but I'm still negotiating for the best price I can get. Same with DirectTV. I can afford a lot more than $350 per year for the package, but if a little negotiating can get the price down to $250, then that's what I'm going to do.

You say it's non-negotiable, but if the original poster was able to call up and get a better deal then what they originally offered, then obviously it is. He didn't lie or cheat or anything....he just drove a hard bargain and got the best deal he could. good for him and anyone else who follows his lead.

mike_vee
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I pay $100 and change for internet and cable per month. No chance in hell I am throwing another $350 away to pay for "digital airwaves" to the local cable or Satellite providers. Eventhough I just purchased a nice big HD set, I will watch whatever the Local Programming Gods have provided to us and Dolphin games. Besides, I only care about 1 team. Any othjer team I can watch highlights on SportsCenter, ticker at the bottom of my screen, halftime highlights, and Yahoo's fantasy tracker. :woot:

Just tired of getting raped by TV providers.
hey whats parcels saying in you sig? is it love you ????? :d-day:

MikeO
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Just remember, if the day ever comes (and it won't) that the NFL ever lets the SUNDAY TICKET go to cable, dish network, and removes the "exclusive" rights away from DIRECTV.........the price for Sunday Ticket will probably DOUBLE!! if not Triple!!

Because now the NFL has you by the you know what. You can get it anywhere, so they can set the price. And if you want it you get it, if not you don't.

With DIRECTV having "exclusive" rights they want to bring as many people under the "DIRECTV TENT" so to speak and get them to switch over. So they will bend over backwards and go above and beyond to give ya a break here or there on price and what not when it comes to Sunday Ticket. If Sunday Ticket were available to all TV providers.......the NFL will jump the price, set a price, and there would be no reason for anyone to "give ya a break" on anything. If ya want it you pay if ya don't ya don't.

But that day will never come. The NFL SUNDAY TICKET will never go to cable. That is the NFL's worst nightmare on so many levels. But thats a different story for a different time.

sn9ke.eyes
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I think there is a lot of over reaction on both sides of this.
I don't agree with trying to rip off anybody, but with the exception of a few, I don't think that is what is going on in this thread.

Most people just want to get the best deal they can by honest means. Sure there are some who will be dishonest, but not everyone. Negotiating is not dishonest. If directv doesn't want to negotiate, then they don't have to. What directv has is a training issue, because you can call 10 times and get 10 different answers.

I do not advocate being deceitful, and if you threaten to cancel, you should be prepared to do so. However, if I call and directv will send me a new hd dvr for free and my buddy calls and has the same programming and contract status, but they tell him the best price is $199, how can you expect him to take that ? The csr he talked to probably didn't know what they were doing or weren't aware of what deals were available.

As for the Sunday ticket, if it's all about serving the out of market fan, then why not offer it on a per team basis ? $249 for the full package or $79 for only Dolphins games or whatever team you are interested in.

Why not let me cancel my package halfway through the season ? Directv will offer a rest-of-the-season price at the halfway point, but they won't let me cancel at the halfway point and get a half season refund.

I happen to like directv, and I've been a customer for years now, but between the cost of the ST and the fact that the new dvrs do not have tivo software, I'm not a lock to remain a customer in the future. My contract is up and I plan on staying month to month so that I do have financial flexibility.

I don't expect directv to shed a tear over me, but they also need to continue to listen to their customers or else people will leave.

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't see where whether you can afford something factors in??? Obviously I can afford the car I choose to buy, but I'm still negotiating for the best price I can get. Same with DirectTV. I can afford a lot more than $350 per year for the package, but if a little negotiating can get the price down to $250, then that's what I'm going to do.

You say it's non-negotiable, but if the original poster was able to call up and get a better deal then what they originally offered, then obviously it is. He didn't lie or cheat or anything....he just drove a hard bargain and got the best deal he could. good for him and anyone else who follows his lead.

because he manipulated the system which is wrong...through and through and yes he cheat and yes the nfl sunday ticket isnt supposed to be negotiated its either 249 for early or 269 if your late THATS it...there is no ive been a great customer because 9 times out of 10 you havent there is no the installer messed this up so you owe me...there is no WHINING and complaining...if you didnt like Directv if you didnt like our CSR's if you wanted to go to DIsh Network SO BAD you would and leave flat out and saying anything or doing anything otherwise is immoral and wrong spin it how you want to but a family member of mine had sunday ticket and Directv illigally for that matter for years before i got my job so i know both sides

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I think there is a lot of over reaction on both sides of this.
I don't agree with trying to rip off anybody, but with the exception of a few, I don't think that is what is going on in this thread.

i dont think so i just think people are so "down for the movement" that they are appalled that someone is actually sticking up for "the man"

Most people just want to get the best deal they can by honest means. Sure there are some who will be dishonest, but not everyone. Negotiating is not dishonest. If directv doesn't want to negotiate, then they don't have to. What directv has is a training issue, because you can call 10 times and get 10 different answers.

your absolutely right is one thing we Do have a training issue no arguments about that you cant the point of the thread is to do things dishonestly and yes anybody can call back 10 times to get a different answer or a different deal because people are there to make money people have no loyalty they are not correctly trained both at home and at the company

I do not advocate being deceitful, and if you threaten to cancel, you should be prepared to do so. However, if I call and directv will send me a new hd dvr for free and my buddy calls and has the same programming and contract status, but they tell him the best price is $199, how can you expect him to take that ? The csr he talked to probably didn't know what they were doing or weren't aware of what deals were available.

he has to take it because its a case by case basis...the retention program is to reward customer loyalty take this formula for instance you have been with Directv since Primestar say 1998..on your credit report for the past 5 years have acumulated say 250 dollars in credit for various reasons...you have reached the retention devision once in that same time...sir you would have gotten that free hd dvr plus 10 dollars off your bill for a year and another HD reciever for free(ofcourse case by case basis seen through the eyes of the CSR)- or take your friend(not saying this is his case)Been with Directv since Primestar 1998 same as you..but his credit report for the past 5 years over 1000 dollars in credit...he has threatened to cancel on 7 or 8 different times with in that same span and he has had his services turned off for neglect about 5 or so times a year for the last ten years....he gets nothing he deserves nothing and everytime he asks to speak to a supervisor or hangs up and calls again or thinks he is going to get over on Directv by threatening to cancel all the time

Why not let me cancel my package halfway through the season ? Directv will offer a rest-of-the-season price at the halfway point, but they won't let me cancel at the halfway point and get a half season refund.

if you have a baby with down syndrome can you give it back??(poor analogy i know but you get my point)

I happen to like directv, and I've been a customer for years now, but between the cost of the ST and the fact that the new dvrs do not have tivo software, I'm not a lock to remain a customer in the future. My contract is up and I plan on staying month to month so that I do have financial flexibility.

pay your bills on time and dont complain too often and you will be rewarded handsomely...and for the record tivo tried to f**** everybody over with thier eqp why do you think EVERYBODY dropped tivo one right after the other?

I don't expect directv to shed a tear over me, but they also need to continue to listen to their customers or else people will leave.

we do listen thats why ST is on 6 pay instead of 4 pay to make yet again more affordable for "the little man" who complains all the time

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
the fact remains the people who think they are getting on directv slowely but surely tie thier own noose around thier own necks and hang themselves with a 300+ commitments-it NEVER fails...seasoned CSR's know the difference between a whiner and some one who has been loyal and does not want to leave...thats what the retention program is there

dolfan19
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM

What a joke. Get over yourself. The simplistic point of view you have is utterly ridiculous. Why are you so offended by someone trying to get a better deal for themself? Is it coming directly out of your pocket? And if it is, tough luck. Go ask for a raise because of all the jackasses you have to deal with every day on the phone. Oh, wait...That's right! You guys need us - THE CONSUMER!

This world started under the premise that the fittest survive. That's what this is...

If my buddy gets a raise, I don't b**** and moan because he got a raise and I didn't. Maybe he deserved it, maybe not. But he got it. Props to him.
If someone gets an HD receiver, or a better price on their programming - Props to them. Don't get all p****d off because someone else has the nads to negotiate a better deal. I seriously doubt DirecTV is hurting too bad on the deal.

And BTW, since you're the next great Dolphins sports journalist - learn some punctuation. Thanks.

ncdolfan
07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
There's a middle ground here guys. You can get a good deal without being a jerk or asking for a supervisor.

I've been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for a few years now. I called this week to upgrade to the HD package and as the rep is telling me the price, I asked if there were any special deals available.

He came back and said they would be give me a $100 credit and 3 months of Showtime, etc. I asked that instead of the Showtime, could they give me the SuperFan package for the year. He let me go for a minute or so and then said they would give me the $100 credit and SuperFan. I came away very pleased with the transaction - felt like I got a good deal and felt the rep was very courteous and respectful of me as a consumer.

As far as DirectTV, they've got a product and you can choose to buy it or not. It's a business - in my opinion, they've got a good product that is worth paying for.

mike_vee
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM

i got a tip for you, get free to air satelite then you won't have to pay them ever again... and yes they do have recievers in HD as well...

PhinSoldia
07-10-2008, 10:45 PM
What a joke. Get over yourself. The simplistic point of view you have is utterly ridiculous. Why are you so offended by someone trying to get a better deal for themself? Is it coming directly out of your pocket? And if it is, tough luck. Go ask for a raise because of all the jackasses you have to deal with every day on the phone. Oh, wait...That's right! You guys need us - THE CONSUMER!

This world started under the premise that the fittest survive. That's what this is...

If my buddy gets a raise, I don't b**** and moan because he got a raise and I didn't. Maybe he deserved it, maybe not. But he got it. Props to him.
If someone gets an HD receiver, or a better price on their programming - Props to them. Don't get all p****d off because someone else has the nads to negotiate a better deal. I seriously doubt DirecTV is hurting too bad on the deal.

And BTW, since you're the next great Dolphins sports journalist - learn some punctuation. Thanks.

i guess typing on my cellphone might not account for much but thank you for the insult...it was noted and flushed down the toilet...

as for getting a better deal...again you can't try to negotiate something non negotiable sir. No one has a gun to your head saying you HAVE to get ST or anybody else for that matter and yes if Directv hurts if 70% of its customer base only signed on since Directv got rights to ST and of that 90% doesnt like the price of it...and most of that are all into jerking Dtv's chain to get a better deal...no sir its not negotiating...s

since we have come down to insulting punctuation...im done I have said all i could about the issue and will always feel about that even when im on YOUR directv screen talking about the Dolphins

DanStillStands
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
People with the sunday ticket..Did you get your Sunday ticket kickoff packit in the mail? Nothing really but a cool picture of Ronnie and the schedule on the back.

Stefins
07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
wow.... Did this thread get out of control!!!

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM

Just wondering, but why when I personally attack someone in here I instantly get a private message from a MOD and people like this get away with it? Just wondering, must be a low post count as the reason.

You can see why my post count is so low as I generally choose not to deal with the incompetence.

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 11:38 PM
wow.... Did this thread get out of control!!!

You got it brotha. I had no idea the hail storm I would cause by starting this thread (just was trying to help my fellow man), but little did I know that former and current DirecTV employees are in here under the guise of Dolfans.

I sure hope my negotiation didn't hurt the 2008 DirecTV Christmas Bonus.....oh wait, let me guess.... The insane profit margins are saved for the board of directors while the peons in "customer service" (please note the quotation marks, because I use those words sarcastically) do not get one.

At least somebody is getting rich at DirecTV.

Power to the People.

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
i got a tip for you, get free to air satelite then you won't have to pay them ever again... and yes they do have recievers in HD as well...

Now that just might cross the line to "stealing", but I am not one to judge. As a consumer, I will pay for the product, but I will negotiate the fairest deal.

I take the same stance on music - I gave up peer to peer like Kazaa and Limewire on principle - the artist should get paid for their work, even if it's a buck a song and the band nets a dime. I would only want that if I was in a band as awesome as, say... TOOL for instance (weak plug for the band, sorry).

Please, let's not now digress the thread into peer to peer music debate - I just wanted to make a point.:)

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
i guess typing on my cellphone might not account for much but thank you for the insult...it was noted and flushed down the toilet...

as for getting a better deal...again you can't try to negotiate something non negotiable sir. No one has a gun to your head saying you HAVE to get ST or anybody else for that matter and yes if Directv hurts if 70% of its customer base only signed on since Directv got rights to ST and of that 90% doesnt like the price of it...and most of that are all into jerking Dtv's chain to get a better deal...no sir its not negotiating...s

since we have come down to insulting punctuation...im done I have said all i could about the issue and will always feel about that even when im on YOUR directv screen talking about the Dolphins

"as for getting a better deal...again you can't try to negotiate something non negotiable sir"

Not negotiable? That's funny because they negotiate with me every time. I strongly suggest studying some macro-economics and the history of a free trade society.

Third Eye
07-10-2008, 11:55 PM

This may be the most telling post in this entire thread. It is spoken from a representative of a true monopoly. Think about it people... I don't blame this poster at all, but it is so telling that I could not have made my point without it.

A corporate monopoly will have this exact attitude toward the consumer: take what we give you, how we give it to you, at the quality level we give it to you, and deal with it because we know you need/want the product.

Thank you so much Swantoon for making my point crystal clear.

Competition breeds better pricing and fairer trade position for the consumer. Because there is no competition, it is in our God given American right living in a democratic free trade society to negotiate (cue the God Bless America song right here...).

Oh and by the way, if you kept me on hold more than 5 minutes, I would have hung up and called back to get a different customer service rep who actually remembered that without the customer, they wouldn't have a job.

rogue13
07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
seasoned CSR's know the difference between a whiner and some one who has been loyal and does not want to leave...thats what the retention program is there

i guess Direct TV deserves some credit for something. according to this guy, they have competent "CSR's" (love the professional lingo BTW). that makes them the first US company to accomplish that.

i wager that you won't gain much support by defending a multi-billion dollar company that has monopolized a sport near to the heart of many. however, i am also guessing that your loyalty to the company means more to you than life itself. make sure your smoke break doesn't last longer than 15 minutes guy.

Third Eye
07-11-2008, 12:15 AM

This post is so laughable, I don't know where to begin. You actually are arguing that DirecTV and the NFL raise their rates because people like me negotiate a deal?

I think you are right, obviously, why didn't I think of it??? All along I was thinking it was stupid old Supply and Demand economics from a corporate monopoly. I was so insane to think it went like this:

2005 pricing = 209.99
2005 home subscriptions = 850,000
Competitor pricing = no competition

2006 pricing = 219.99
2006 home subscriptions = 950,000

2007 pricing: 234.99
2007 home subscriptions = 1,175,000

2008 pricing: 249.99
2008 home subscriptions = 1,400,000

(Disclaimer: figures are estimates but reflect a true trend in both metrics)

Wow, how idiotic could I have been to not realize the price increases were from negotiation from weasels like me. LESSON LEARNED TIME: never, and I mean NEVER, underestimate the intelligence of the common weasel.:hi5:

Third Eye
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
There's a middle ground here guys. You can get a good deal without being a jerk or asking for a supervisor.

I've been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for a few years now. I called this week to upgrade to the HD package and as the rep is telling me the price, I asked if there were any special deals available.

He came back and said they would be give me a $100 credit and 3 months of Showtime, etc. I asked that instead of the Showtime, could they give me the SuperFan package for the year. He let me go for a minute or so and then said they would give me the $100 credit and SuperFan. I came away very pleased with the transaction - felt like I got a good deal and felt the rep was very courteous and respectful of me as a consumer.

As far as DirectTV, they've got a product and you can choose to buy it or not. It's a business - in my opinion, they've got a good product that is worth paying for.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Never ONCE did I advocate being a jerk. But when a CSR (hey I love the lingo, I am using it now) from 6 months ago says I can get a free HD receiver upgrade in 6 months if I commit to 2 years of HD programming at 9.99 a month, you can bet your a$$ I will call back in 6 months and finish the deal. If the new CSR doesn't follow through, I will ask for a supervisor.

One of my tips was to be polite and courteous to the CSR. I learned a long time ago you can attract more bees with honey.

Third Eye
07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Just remember, if the day ever comes (and it won't) that the NFL ever lets the SUNDAY TICKET go to cable, dish network, and removes the "exclusive" rights away from DIRECTV.........the price for Sunday Ticket will probably DOUBLE!! if not Triple!!

Because now the NFL has you by the you know what. You can get it anywhere, so they can set the price. And if you want it you get it, if not you don't.

With DIRECTV having "exclusive" rights they want to bring as many people under the "DIRECTV TENT" so to speak and get them to switch over. So they will bend over backwards and go above and beyond to give ya a break here or there on price and what not when it comes to Sunday Ticket. If Sunday Ticket were available to all TV providers.......the NFL will jump the price, set a price, and there would be no reason for anyone to "give ya a break" on anything. If ya want it you pay if ya don't ya don't.

But that day will never come. The NFL SUNDAY TICKET will never go to cable. That is the NFL's worst nightmare on so many levels. But thats a different story for a different time.

I disagree. More choice will bring down the price. If they triple the rate, and get only 25% of their former subscriptions, they make less money. Supply and demand.

Third Eye
07-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Wow, don't you think you and Swantoon are over reacting a little here? DTV has monopolized NFL games and we as consumers have ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE, but to subscribe to their programming if we wanna watch our favorite teams in the comfort of our own homes. They overcharge the consumer so they can pay Peyton and Eli Manning millions of dollars to do commercials for them. Why would I have any sympathy for this company whatsoever? They rip me off, so I will attempt to rip them off in any way I can.

Damn, dude - that post was cash money in the bank. I couldnt agree more. "Look at me on my CSR Soapbox....I am doing my part to save the billionaire company I work for from the greedy consumer while I make 9 bucks an hour as a 'seasoned' CSR." How friggin noble.

Swantoon
07-11-2008, 04:48 AM

Lol I never said I was a good employee just that I worked there. The big difference is people's ideas of customer service vary greatly depending on who you talk to. My idea of customer service is the customer is having a problem you solve the problem. Not my idea of customer service: The customer thinks something is too expensive so you give them whatever they want.

I just got to the point where I was so sick of people trying to scheme free stuff out of me that I just couldn't take it anymore. And I am very lucky I didn't get fired before I quit lol.

Anyway I will not derail this thread anymore, sorry.

clownfish
07-11-2008, 06:38 AM
yes you actually have a choice get it or dont...if you havent actually noticed the NFL sunday ticket is designed for A people who are hard fans of an out of market team and B people who can AFFORD it...its clear some of you cant...not our fault

I CAN afford it, but the prices are inflated and you cannot deny that. Will I get Sunday ticket regardless of the price? Yes. Am I happy about? No, and I will do what I can to stick it to da man. Your logic is so flawed it is not even funny. Why would anyone in their right mind pay full price for anything if they could negotiate the price down? Even someone who was filthy rich would be a complete moron to do that. You're just upset cause their is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Accept it and move on, dude.

Oh and I'm glad you take pride in everything you do. Next time you take a crap, you can look down in the toilet when you are finished and be proud of your poop. Congratulations on your new bouncing baby turd! Hooray for poop!

clownfish
07-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Damn, dude - that post was cash money in the bank. I couldnt agree more. "Look at me on my CSR Soapbox....I am doing my part to save the billionaire company I work for from the greedy consumer while I make 9 bucks an hour as a 'seasoned' CSR." How friggin noble.

CSR soapbox...lol. Hilarious. :sidelol:

And nice Tool reference for your screen name. Tool is one of my top 10 bands of all time.

CANDolphan
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
I still can't believe that someone who has worked so hard to become supervisor at a company as large as DirecTV doesn't understand what a "non-negotiable" good is... then compares attempting to get a free HD upgrade to that of going on a car dealership and SLASHING THE TIRES of the vehicle.

No, if we were asking about a free HD upgrade and then going to the local DirecTV station and lighting it on fire, then you'd have a point

MikeO
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I disagree. More choice will bring down the price. If they triple the rate, and get only 25% of their former subscriptions, they make less money. Supply and demand.

That's BS. They know this SUNDAY TICKET is a drug to all gamblers, fantasy football players, and die hard NFL fans. They keep raising the rates now and people keep paying.

Nothing will change......people will always fork it over. Just like as teams keep raising ticket prices and season ticket sales go up each year across the board, same here. People find a way to get their "fix" for there "habit"

Swantoon
07-12-2008, 04:46 AM
This may be the most telling post in this entire thread. It is spoken from a representative of a true monopoly. Think about it people... I don't blame this poster at all, but it is so telling that I could not have made my point without it.

A corporate monopoly will have this exact attitude toward the consumer: take what we give you, how we give it to you, at the quality level we give it to you, and deal with it because we know you need/want the product.

Thank you so much Swantoon for making my point crystal clear.

Competition breeds better pricing and fairer trade position for the consumer. Because there is no competition, it is in our God given American right living in a democratic free trade society to negotiate (cue the God Bless America song right here...).

Oh and by the way, if you kept me on hold more than 5 minutes, I would have hung up and called back to get a different customer service rep who actually remembered that without the customer, they wouldn't have a job.

You are actually right. I used to get so mad when I saw the new prices coming out, knowing that I would have to explain them to people and try to make it sound justified.

Customer service just really made me hate customers lol.

dolfan06
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
we don't have any problem with "dish network", the only problem there is they don't have NFL ticket. when you order "dish" just make sure you have a relative close by with "direct" and a big scren TV. lol

MikeO
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
we don't have any problem with "dish network", the only problem there is they don't have NFL ticket. when you order "dish" just make sure you have a relative close by with "direct" and a big scren TV. lol

I have only heard good things about DISH Network. I am a DIRECTV man myself. Just because it has everything I want and I never have to worry about the games the "cable companies" play. Like adding stations; removing stations. With DIRECTV once they add a station, it's there for life esentially. I like that. Plus DIRECTV has everythig I want out of my TV viewing experience (sunday ticket, mlb extra innings, nfl network..etc). They partner up with Verizon so I can one-bill my internet, phone..etc with them. And now that they just added ONDEMAND at DirecTV I will probably never switch. No reason too really....at least for me

dolfan06
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I have only heard good things about DISH Network. I am a DIRECTV man myself. Just because it has everything I want and I never have to worry about the games the "cable companies" play. Like adding stations; removing stations. With DIRECTV once they add a station, it's there for life esentially. I like that. Plus DIRECTV has everythig I want out of my TV viewing experience (sunday ticket, mlb extra innings, nfl network..etc). They partner up with Verizon so I can one-bill my internet, phone..etc with them. And now that they just added ONDEMAND at DirecTV I will probably never switch. No reason too really....at least for mebasically my wife likes "dish" but sometimes they piss me off. they were showing the NFL channel for about 6 months, then they made it a premium channel and wanted you to pay for it. they have done that quite a bit, get you started on something then take it away.

Third Eye
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
That's BS. They know this SUNDAY TICKET is a drug to all gamblers, fantasy football players, and die hard NFL fans. They keep raising the rates now and people keep paying.

Nothing will change......people will always fork it over. Just like as teams keep raising ticket prices and season ticket sales go up each year across the board, same here. People find a way to get their "fix" for there "habit"

Yes season ticket sales may go up, but remember there are only so many season tickets available. A stadium with 65,000 seats and 65,000 season tickets sold with 200,000 people on a waiting list (see Green Bay) can jack prices as they wish. The demand is greater than the supply.

My theory is that if there are other satellite companies who carry Sunday Ticket, the competition for subscriptions goes way up and it drives the price down, or at least slows down the increase. There are no limits ( therefore no supply limits ) to ordering DirecTV as there is in the above Green Bay season ticket example. The satelite supply is limitless, however with more options the consumer should get better pricing even with increasing demand.

Third Eye
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
CSR soapbox...lol. Hilarious. :sidelol:

And nice Tool reference for your screen name. Tool is one of my top 10 bands of all time.

Tool is my #1 of all time - I have seen them live a crazy 16 times since 1997. I know, its a disease, just like the Fins are to me. I couldnt live without either, lol. :D

Third Eye
07-12-2008, 08:08 PM
You are actually right. I used to get so mad when I saw the new prices coming out, knowing that I would have to explain them to people and try to make it sound justified.

Customer service just really made me hate customers lol.

Thanks for being rational and understanding my point.

Everyone needs to understand I was not starting a thread to rip off the signal illegally or screw DirecTV in any way. I am merely pointing out how the consumer can and should fight for his right, in a professional and polite way, to get a fair deal when against a monopoly situation.

MikeO
07-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes season ticket sales may go up, but remember there are only so many season tickets available. A stadium with 65,000 seats and 65,000 season tickets sold with 200,000 people on a waiting list (see Green Bay) can jack prices as they wish. The demand is greater than the supply.

My theory is that if there are other satellite companies who carry Sunday Ticket, the competition for subscriptions goes way up and it drives the price down, or at least slows down the increase. There are no limits ( therefore no supply limits ) to ordering DirecTV as there is in the above Green Bay season ticket example. The satelite supply is limitless, however with more options the consumer should get better pricing even with increasing demand.

Your missing the point. The day the Sunday Ticket is available to everyone, the NFL will set the price. Not the cable/satelite companies. And there will be no more wiggle room for consumers. Remember, the NFL doesn't want everyone to have the Sunday Ticket. In fact they want as few people as possible to have it. Cause if EVERYONE or a TON of people got it, then the NFL's deal with CBS and FOX goes down the toliet as they are worthless.

Third Eye
07-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Your missing the point. The day the Sunday Ticket is available to everyone, the NFL will set the price. Not the cable/satelite companies. And there will be no more wiggle room for consumers. Remember, the NFL doesn't want everyone to have the Sunday Ticket. In fact they want as few people as possible to have it. Cause if EVERYONE or a TON of people got it, then the NFL's deal with CBS and FOX goes down the toliet as they are worthless.

You raise a good point, I had not looked at it that way. But you have to understand that over 95% of the people watching the NFL product on TV through either networks or Sunday Ticket are doing it the free way via the networks. The majority will never buy the product and it will always stay that way.

The NFL wants the perfect balance of networks on one hand bidding against each other for the viewing pleasure of the bulk of the fans, then for the avid fan a pay per view scheme that is exclusive to one satellite provider. Even if the NFL opened it up to Dish Network and other satellite companies, the majority would still be watching networks. My point is that the margins (margin meaning the % of the fees per subscriber that the satellite company keeps) that DirecTV and the rival satellite companies would shrink as they try to attract the avid fans. This would help control the overall charge even though the 500 pound Gorilla (NFL) still gets their take.

Thanks for raising such a good point.