PDA

View Full Version : Odd Creationist Teacher in Ohio

ih8brady
07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,369549,00.html

:err::err::err:

Why not just carve a Jesus fish into the kids' foreheads?

Tetragrammaton
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Hearing about creationsism in schools is always frightening, but now its in Ohio? I expect this from Alabama and South Carolina, but not something above the Mason-Dixie.

ch19079
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
To me, this story is about 2 seperate events. First, the guy burned his students. This could be very serious (since he burned a minor) or nothing at all (if it didnt hurt, just leaving a mark). That is something for the police to look in to. However, it seems they used child abuse as a nice headline to draw attention to the writers real story about teaching creationism in class. :shakeno:

The second event is teaching creationism in science class. I thaught all public schools had to teach basically the same thing. They are supposed to teach evolution because its a major scientific theory and based on the scientific method that is used world wide. They are not supposed to teach religion in science class, because there is nothing scientific about it.

However, the article says that he was doing this for a long time. The school saying they couldnt move him because he didnt have training in any other subject is complete bull. Hes a science teacher who refuses to teach the approved material. That would be like hiring a athiest to teach your bible study class. He should either teach what he is supposed to teach, learn another subject, or quit/be fired. How hard is that?

Dolphan7
07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I can't believe he actually presented evidence debunking the C14 dating. Probably not the best move for his career, but - WAY TO GO ANYWAY!

This guy would probably be best to teach science in a Christian school, where they actually show both sides of the story and promote free thought and objective learning.

Tetragrammaton
07-19-2008, 12:51 PM
However, the article says that he was doing this for a long time. The school saying they couldnt move him because he didnt have training in any other subject is complete bull. Hes a science teacher who refuses to teach the approved material. That would be like hiring a athiest to teach your bible study class. He should either teach what he is supposed to teach, learn another subject, or quit/be fired. How hard is that?

Maybe there are math teachers that don't use zeros or English teachers that don't use exclamation marks. But I doubt it highly.

The schools either:
a. Don't monitor the class, or
b. Encourage creationism.

In a place like Ohio, I would say a. In Alabama or Arkansas, I would say b.

ih8brady
07-27-2008, 12:53 PM
To me, this story is about 2 seperate events. First, the guy burned his students. This could be very serious (since he burned a minor) or nothing at all (if it didnt hurt, just leaving a mark). That is something for the police to look in to. However, it seems they used child abuse as a nice headline to draw attention to the writers real story about teaching creationism in class. :shakeno:

I disagree. Although the severity of the burn does matter(for instance, if it was a very deep burn versus a minor burn), but even if it was superficial, it was very wrong! What if this was some political wacko who burned an elephant into kids' arms? Let's forget a second that he was even burning. What if he used a black sharpie? Would that make it right? No! Imagine if this wasn't a cross but rather a Star of David, a Jainist swatsika, or a pentagram written in black marker? Would the teacher have the right to deface the student's body? Ask yourself that.