PDA

View Full Version : New treatment for spine problems, especially scoliosis

Miamian
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
The Scorpion (http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?enDispWho=Articles^l2184&enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=object&enVersion=0&enZone=Health)

Doctors normally treat patients with spinal injuries and congenital defects by fusing vertebrate with devices and springs held down with straight screws. This method limits motion and the screws are prone to coming loose over time. Sometimes these straight screws even fall out, explains Steve Rhodes, the CEO of the Misgav Venture Accelerator, an Israeli incubator investing in Scorpion's technology, who spoke to ISRAEL21c at Israel's annual Biomed convention in Tel Aviv.

This is especially true in "dynamic fixation" spinal operations that intend to preserve spinal motion, he says.

"We've developed a curved implant that is implanted with a curved drill," says Rhodes. "The result is an implant that pulls together vertebrate in a triangular shape which is "strong and resistant to vibration and loosening."

Dolphan7
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Excellent breakthrough in technology. I have scoliosis, and although it does not hinder me too much today, at 46 years old, I think by the time I am 70 I will really be hobbled by it.

Miamian
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Excellent breakthrough in technology. I have scoliosis, and although it does not hinder me too much today, at 46 years old, I think by the time I am 70 I will really be hobbled by it.I hope that the new implant will help you.

ralphthedog
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I have a fusion that may benefit by this. This may help a lot of us with pinal problems.