PDA

View Full Version : Atheist soldier sues Army for 'unconstitutional' discrimination

BAMAPHIN 22
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/07/artjeremyhall-1.jpg

Army Spc. Jeremy Hall, who was raised Baptist but is now an atheist, says the military violated his religious freedom.

Army Spc. Jeremy Hall was raised Baptist.

Like many Christians, he said grace before dinner and read the Bible before bed. Four years ago when he was deployed to Iraq, he packed his Bible so he would feel closer to God.

He served two tours of duty in Iraq and has a near perfect record. But somewhere between the tours, something changed. Hall, now 23, said he no longer believes in God, fate, luck or anything supernatural.

Hall said he met some atheists who suggested he read the Bible again. After doing so, he said he had so many unanswered questions that he decided to become an atheist.

His sudden lack of faith (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Religion), he said, cost him his military career and put his life at risk. Hall said his life was threatened by other troops and the military assigned a full-time bodyguard to protect him out of fear for his safety.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/08/atheist.soldier/index.html

TedSlimmJr
07-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Should have asked the other atheists to answer his unanswered questions for him...

ih8brady
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Should have asked the other atheists to answer his unanswered questions for him...

Thanks for "supporting the troops" :rolleyes:

X-Pacolypse
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
That's strange. I was in the Navy for four years, and I knew a lot of Atheists. With the exception of the Mormons, I never saw any other religious groups give Atheists a hard time about their beliefs. I certainly never gave them a hard time about it, people can believe what they want to believe. The only religious group that I ever saw take a lot of crap and grief were the Wiccans.

Gonzo
08-21-2008, 04:14 PM
That's strange. I was in the Navy for four years, and I knew a lot of Atheists. With the exception of the Mormons, I never saw any other religious groups give Atheists a hard time about their beliefs. I certainly never gave them a hard time about it, people can believe what they want to believe. The only religious group that I ever saw take a lot of crap and grief were the Wiccans.
I had the exact same experience, except for the Wiccans, somewhat. Most were treated like everybody else, except my unit's Wiccan chaplain's assistant who took a lot of grief from the Chaplain and eventually requested and was allowed a unit transfer.

ohall
08-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for "supporting the troops" :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?

Marino613
08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I had the exact same experience, except for the Wiccans, somewhat. Most were treated like everybody else, except my unit's Wiccan chaplain's assistant who took a lot of grief from the Chaplain and eventually requested and was allowed a unit transfer.

Any insight into why Wiccan's specifically?

Gonzo
08-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Any insight into why Wiccan's specifically?
Sorry, I could have worded that better. Most of the Wiccans I knew were treated just like everybody else with the exception of getting more questions about their faith (none argumentative, just curious). The only exception was our chaplain's assistant. He was there for about 2 years with no problems until we got a new chaplain, who was a douche in general and felt that the Army didn't have the time or money to "recognize every religion."

X-Pacolypse
08-28-2008, 09:23 AM

The two ships that I was on never had a Wiccan Chaplain. Wiccan services were run by a few believers, and anybody else that wanted to come was welcome.

ih8brady
09-05-2008, 04:41 AM
What are you talking about?

He mocked a soldier discriminated against because of his personal beliefs. I don't like hypocrisy. Either you support all those who serve honorably or you don't. This guy doesn't.

Gonzo
09-05-2008, 03:06 PM
The two ships that I was on never had a Wiccan Chaplain. Wiccan services were run by a few believers, and anybody else that wanted to come was welcome.I should have worded that better. The assistant was Wiccan, not the Chaplain. From what I understand, meetings is all they have. They don't require a chaplain role or building. They were given the space if they needed or wanted it, but the ones I knew prefered to be at someone's house or in the woods. That's from what little I remember, so I could be wrong.