PDA

View Full Version : Pats put 12 on PUP list

VAMinnow
07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Just saw this scroll on the bottom of ESPN. Some of the players are Wes Welker, Rodney Harrison, and Nick Kazcur.

My question is:
Are they allowed more than 80 players in camp if these players are on the list. Or are they down to 68 players practicing in camp right now?

satz
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
68 the total is allowed now , this is training camp PUP which is not the inseason PUP they come back any time and do count against 80.

HughC
07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are two kinds of PUP, active and reserved.

With the active-PUP, a player can come off that list at any time. The roster spot does count against the 80-man roster as well as the salary cap.

With the reserved-PUP, a player cannot come off that list till after the sixth week of the season. It does not count against the 80-man roster (or 53-man in-season roster.) After the sixth week the player either needs to be activated or go on Injured Reserve.

A player can only be placed on PUP at the start of training camp. In theory, it is a designation for players who failed their physical. They still get paid and can attend team meetings but are not allowed to go on the field and practice.

I think it's more of an insurance for a team that would like to prevent a potential injury settlement if a player that is not 100% gets injured in training camp. I don't think it's a sneaky way to get around the 80-man roster limit, and I doubt any team would let one of these guys practice since these practices are open to the media and public.

satz
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM
One more point on the reserved list. A player can come off the list and pratice for 21 days before a team has to make a decision if he counts towards the active list.so their is no real rule against praticing Active PUP players after the 6th to 9th week of a season .

Last year their is a big piece how its illegal to pratice a active pup players but in reality it is only illegal to pratice them after 21 days removed from the list and not added to the active list.