PDA

View Full Version : Son of Hamas Leader Embraces Christianity

LouPhinFan
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,402483,00.html

JONATHAN HUNT: Have you been threatened?

MOSAB HASSAN YOUSEF: No, not really. Honestly, most Muslims and Muslim leaders here in the U.S. community, European communities, they are trying to get ahold of me. They are calling my famiily, my mother, and asking for my contacts. They are telling her, 'We want to help him.'

JONATHAN HUNT: They think you need help?

MOSAB HASSAN YOUSEF: Yeah, they think that Christians took advantage of me, and this is completely wrong. I've been a Christian for a long time before they knew, or anyone knew. I love Jesus, I followed him for many years now. It wasn't a secret for most of the time, and this time I just did it to glorify the name of God and praise him.
They're not dealing with a regular Muslim. They know that I'm educated, they know that I studied, they know that I studied Islam and Christianity. When I made my decision, I didn't make it because someone did magic on me or convinced me. It was completely my decision.

Sounds like the guy read and studied about both religions and made his choice. I find it disturbing that the rest of his family and religious leaders think that we Christians used our magic mojo on him.

This is the one big thing about the Middle Eastern Muslims that scare me to death. The only thing the majority of Middle Eastern Muslims know about Chrisitanity, Judaism, and the west in general is what they're told by the religious leaders and governments. It seems that independent thought is frowned upon.

emeraldfin
08-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Something you dont hear to often, Muslims converting to Christianity. Reason for the backlash, IMO is because Muslims and the Islamic faith want to create an entirely Muslim world or society. So seeing one of their flock stray away from them could be pretty hard to take.

Marino613
08-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Something you dont hear to often, Muslims converting to Christianity. Reason for the backlash, IMO is because Muslims and the Islamic faith want to create an entirely Muslim world or society. So seeing one of their flock stray away from them could be pretty hard to take.

My 2 cents:
Is that "world order" drive fundamentally different than most religions? Gotta wonder why there are catholics in Peru...

I am not saying this to bash Catholicism either, but I think the problem is acculturating religious communities to a non-theocratic and democratic society. It may be anecdotal, but I know western Muslims who are equally as comfortable as any baptist is when one of their children rejects their religious values. (and this guy, while the son of a terrorist, is a much bigger deal to muslims because he is the son of a heavily identified religious person. I would never call Billy Graham a terrorist, but if his kid converted to say Judaism, we would all know about it).

Islam as represented by much of its political leaders today is about as bad as Catholicism was a few centuries ago.

[Edit: to add - the description of western Muslims trying to help this guy in this very article may be indicative of what a more tolerant Islam that is used to living in a place where their religion is not tied up with political power can be.]

Bumpus
08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
My 2 cents:
Is that "world order" drive fundamentally different than most religions? Gotta wonder why there are catholics in Peru...

I am not saying this to bash Catholicism either, but I think the problem is acculturating religious communities to a non-theocratic and democratic society. It may be anecdotal, but I know western Muslims who are equally as comfortable as any baptist is when one of their children rejects their religious values. (and this guy, while the son of a terrorist, is a much bigger deal to muslims because he is the son of a heavily identified religious person. I would never call Billy Graham a terrorist, but if his kid converted to say Judaism, we would all know about it).

Islam as represented by much of its political leaders today is about as bad as Catholicism was a few centuries ago.

[Edit: to add - the description of western Muslims trying to help this guy in this very article may be indicative of what a more tolerant Islam that is used to living in a place where their religion is not tied up with political power can be.]

:up:
Well stated.

Dolphan7
08-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Good for MOSAB HASSAN YOUSEF! He found truth over the reality of Islam.:up:

emeraldfin
08-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Good for MOSAB HASSAN YOUSEF! He found truth over the reality of Islam.:up:

What do you mean by that D7?

Dolphan7
08-22-2008, 09:47 PM
What do you mean by that D7?I am a Christian, what do you think I meant?

DearbornDolfan
08-22-2008, 10:11 PM
My 2 cents:

Same reason the rest of the continent is Catholic, maybe? I mean, the Conquistadors did export Catholicism.

Tetragrammaton
08-22-2008, 10:15 PM
He still hasn't joined the best club. I could send him brochure literature.

emeraldfin
08-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I am a Christian, what do you think I meant?

How can you condem one religion as being wrong when its basis is the same as the one you believe?

Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the same God, they just go about how they worship God differently.

LouPhinFan
08-23-2008, 10:20 AM
How can you condem one religion as being wrong when its basis is the same as the one you believe?

Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the same God, they just go about how they worship God differently.

But that doesn't mean as Christians we have to accept Islam as being valid. In today's PC society the terms "tolerance" and "acceptance" have been confused. As a Christian I can be tolerant of Islam and their views and their rights to practice that religion, but I do not have accept their views as equally valid to my own.

Tolerance is not acceptance. Its more or less patience with their ways.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 14:5-7

That is one of the most powerful verses in the Bible. It leaves zero doubt how to get to God.

Marino613
08-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Same reason the rest of the continent is Catholic, maybe? I mean, the Conquistadors did export Catholicism.

Forgive me, I am not sure of the nature of your response (backing me up? Correcting me? fundamentally disagreeing with me? etc.). I agree with the historicity of what you are saying, and I think it simply backs up my point that one should see Islam today in context of how similarly other religions have acted in terms of "exporting" (through violence, political and economic pressures to attain converts -- much like those conquistadors) religion.

Marino613
08-23-2008, 10:49 AM

I would disagree that they share the same basis. a) Religion is often more than just believing in God and b) there is strong reason to believe that they don't necessarily believe in the same God even if there are, shall we call them "narrative" similarities between the Gods represented.

For "a" I will point to understandings of ethics, religious responsibility, accepted religious narratives and the like. For all of the below, I am assuming a mainstream, fundamentalist or orthodox approach to the traditions. It is fundamental to Christianity that Jesus is the Messiah and the Son of God, two points that are not accepted by Islam and Judaism. It is fundamental that Mohammad is the last and greatest of prophets (with Jesus just being a prophet) to Islam, but his prophecy is not accepted by Judaism and Christianity. It is fundamental to Judaism that Moses was the greatest of prophets, that true prophecy basically ended about 450 years before Jesus, and that any prophet that preaches changes in the Law of Moses (or Torah law) based on being "told by God" is a false prophet. That is just one example of how these traditions fundamentally disagree with each other, although there are many more.

For "b" - a hardcore muslim or Jew would NEVER accept that God takes physical form or that Gods ultimate unity would be divisible by 3 (I know Christians have answers for this and I am not trying to argue the relative merits of these traditions, but their answers generally aren't accepted by Jews or Muslims). It may have been that some Jews were more open to the idea of a physical God at one point in history, or that some variations of a "divisible but unified" God also found their way into their tradition (like some understandings of the sefirot in kabbalah), but mainstream Judaism ad Islam would reject these viewpoints as heretical. Of course Christianity would believe rejecting these ideas was heretical.

Anyway, I agree with your general sentiment on an emotional level as I am happy for people to be spiritually fulfilled, but I believe D7 certainly has every right and basis to say what he said, just as I have the right to shrug my shoulders and hope that this subjective religious choice makes the guy happy because I don't personally see any reason to believe he discovered the one true religion.

emeraldfin
08-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Firstly the point I was trying to make was that those three religions are all based on blind faith in a surperior being. Not one of those religions has any concrete proff that this surperior being exists. So my point is how can a Christian suggest that Islam is the wrong faith when they dont even know if their's is the right one?

I dont expect any Christian, Muslim or Jew to agree with that because they believe (blindly) their faith is the right one. I have complete respect and tolerence for every single religion that exists, people have the right to believe what they want to believe. I just find it amazing that people will defend their faith and believe so strongly when it comes under attack from an atheist or Agnostic. Yet they can then turn around and say another faith is wrong.

Marino613
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Just a quick point - not all members of these faiths are blind to their shortcomings, can't see room for disagreement, or assume full certainty to the extent that they must invalidate the religious intuitions of another.

emeraldfin
08-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Just a quick point - not all members of these faiths are blind to their shortcomings, can't see room for disagreement, or assume full certainty to the extent that they must invalidate the religious intuitions of another.

Not saying everyone does that dude, far from it.