PDA

View Full Version : Patriots getting rings for "perfect season."

Roman529
08-18-2008, 02:04 AM
I know this doesn't exactly have anything to do with the Dolphin's but I think it is a total joke for them to think they had a perfect season, or compare it to our 1972 Season. I know Mercury Morris would get a nice chuckle out ot this. :sidelol:

http://www.east-coast-bias.com/2008/08/patriots-commemorate-failure.html

The pats are going to hang up a 16-0 banner next to their Superbowl banners
here is the full story from the Globe including talking about making the regluar season longer

An imperfect solution
There was the journey toward a 16-0 regular season and the AFC championship, then the bitter ending of a crushing defeat in Super Bowl XLII. When top Patriots officials gathered this off season, they pondered the best way to celebrate a season that had such exhilarating highs and one crushing low.

In the end, after declaring the season the fourth-greatest achievement in team history, they elected to have a private ceremony to commemorate it last Monday at Gillette Stadium.

Owner Robert Kraft and team president Jonathan Kraft presented the players with rings. On one side of the ring, it reads "16-0 -- perfect season." On the other, it reads "18-1, AFC Championship."

In addition, a banner was made to commemorate the season, and it was unveiled at the ceremony, with Kraft pulling a rope as it came down from the ceiling. It will be displayed at Gillette Stadium, next to the team's Super Bowl banners.

"I think there were two things going on from last year - and one was that it was an extraordinary year that I don't think we got to savor and enjoy," Kraft said.............

Phinsfan210
08-18-2008, 02:16 AM
A ring that says 18-1 on one side. HA!

Spiff
08-18-2008, 02:35 AM
I think it's a good idea. It's still quite an accomplishment to go undefeated during the regular season - in case they didn't cheat along the way.

Phinsfan210
08-18-2008, 02:38 AM
I think it's a good idea. It's still quite an accomplishment to go undefeated during the regular season - in case they didn't cheat along the way.

Means nothing if you cant finish it off. Im sorry but I would rather go 10-6 and be a wild card and lose in the first round then go 18-0 and lose that last game that means the most.

Spiff
08-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Means nothing if you cant finish it off. Im sorry but I would rather go 10-6 and be a wild card and lose in the first round then go 18-0 and lose that last game that means the most.
You would rather lose in the wild card games than in the big game? What?

While I agree that it's devastating to lose in the SuperBowl, especially after an 18-0 run, I would take the 16-0 season over a wild card loss any given day.

Wild card losers are nothing special, 16-0 teams are. They are only the second team in history to go undefeated during the regular season. Now, that's saying something.

gerblack
08-18-2008, 03:30 AM

While I agree that it's devastating to lose in the SuperBowl, especially after an 18-0 run, I would take the 16-0 season over a wild card loss any given day.

Wild card losers are nothing special, 16-0 teams are. They are only the second team in history to go undefeated during the regular season. Now, that's saying something.

wrong they are the fourth two other teams lost in the end just like they did. one was the bears waaaaay back in the day and I can't remember who the second one was.

ojmcduffy
08-18-2008, 03:34 AM
how much you wanna bet every ring has a camera in it.

xxAQUA JOSHUAxx
08-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Haha "Perfect Season" yea right more like perfect REGULAR season.

Dolphins7273
08-18-2008, 03:51 AM

I guess that makes them special losers. :lol:

xxAQUA JOSHUAxx
08-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Did they forget to put a asterisk on the ring *

Califin
08-18-2008, 04:06 AM
16-0 is indeed a considerable feat that imo should of been properly observed when it was accomplished.
Sadly, in New England's (and the League's for that matter) grand aspiration to "one up" our perfect season, the appropriate moment of opportunity, passed with little if any acknowledgment.

I believe their decision to recognize it privately was wisely made.

emeraldfin
08-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Wow, imagine having a ring that brings back the memories of how you lose the biggest game of the season and how close you were to becoming THE greatest team in history. But now that team will always go down in history as..................

The Perfect Losers

Layfield
08-18-2008, 04:52 AM
It is still a great accomplishment to go 18-1. Even if the only loss was in the super bowl. It isnt a bad idea for the team to acknowledge it. Its an important part in team history.

emeraldfin
08-18-2008, 05:10 AM
It is still a great accomplishment to go 18-1. Even if the only loss was in the super bowl. It isnt a bad idea for the team to acknowledge it. Its an important part in team history.

I dont know how any professional sportsman would actually be proud of that ring. Do you think Brady will wear that one ahead of the Superbowl ones he has?

That ring is a symbol of all there hard work ending in defeat. Was 18-1 a great acheivement, of course it was. But to those players that ring will mean noting because the only thing they will think of when they look at the ring is "How did we lose that game?"

Dolfan4life!
08-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Nicely done. Thanks for the laugh.

JC
08-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Have you ever heard the statistic that the average person shows up on camera 100 times a day?

With the Patriots impressive inventory of cameras that number jumps in the billions.

ZachTaylor
08-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Yea they should have a Banner that says 18 and OH NO!

BladeRunner
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Ah.....More superfluous meaningless drivel from the Cheatriots organization.

A special banner = :sidelol:

dolpns13
08-18-2008, 08:10 AM
haha.. let them celebrate their mediocrity. Their end result last season was the EXACT same as ours, and we sure didnt have a perfect season.. Good job for having a failed season Ratriots.. Im glad that banner will remind you, everytime you look at it, that you were the best offensive team in NFL history not to win a superbowl.

I love the fact they are still bitter and crying like girls instead of acting like men. They just cant suck it up and take defeat. You failed Kraft, get over it!

Man, I think its great.. Another thing for us to laugh at them about.

CitizenSnips
08-18-2008, 08:35 AM
wrong they are the fourth two other teams lost in the end just like they did. one was the bears waaaaay back in the day and I can't remember who the second one was.

Green Bay i believe. Or it might have been Chicago twice.

Etuoo33
08-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Classy move for a classy organization. I liked the camera thing too. I also would rather loose in the playoffs then in the big bowl. That's too devastating.

CedarPhin
08-18-2008, 09:07 AM
What a bunch of sore losers. If they had finished it off, that'd have been one thing, but they choked when it mattered most.

feelthepain
08-18-2008, 09:12 AM

Kiick72
08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Green Bay i believe. Or it might have been Chicago twice.

It was Chicago twice.

DeeperImage
08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. But as a previous competitor, I would hate that ring. It would be a constant reminder of we failed to close the deal.

6r3yf0x
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Well the 1940's Browns and Bears need to add banners to their stadiums too... they like the Patriots won the season but choked in the championship game.

The Pat's are not perfect, they can lie all they want, in order to be perfect you MUST win the Super Bowl.

PerfectFinz72
08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
HA! Thats just pathetic on the Patriots part. You know the main reason why they are doing that crap is because they came up small in the biggest possible spot. And all that 1 win could have meant....really takes away from their season. Not winning the Super Bowl, I think its difficult to fully recognize them as a great team. In fact, they shouldnt be.

nosleep
08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Shouldn't it be:

16-0*

ah too late :( ;)

CedarPhin
08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
They should put an image of a guy choking on that ring too.

PhinsPhan122
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. But as a previous competitor, I would hate that ring. It would be a constant reminder of we failed to close the deal.
I think that's partly why they made it. It's supposed to remind them and hopefully spur them on to victory and finishing the deal. At this point, who cares what they do? The point is that they lost and the perfect season is still ours.

dolpns13
08-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I think that's partly why they made it. It's supposed to remind them and hopefully spur them on to victory and finishing the deal. At this point, who cares what they do? The point is that they lost and the perfect season is still ours.

And if it remindeds them of how good of a season they had, it will certianly remind them that they were failures. I love it

FinsFan74
08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I know this doesn't exactly have anything to do with the Dolphin's but I think it is a total joke for them to think they had a perfect season, or compare it to our 1972 Season. I know Mercury Morris would get a nice chuckle out ot this. :sidelol:

here is the full story from the Globe including talking about making the regluar season longer

An imperfect solution
There was the journey toward a 16-0 regular season and the AFC championship, then the bitter ending of a crushing defeat in Super Bowl XLII. When top Patriots officials gathered this off season, they pondered the best way to celebrate a season that had such exhilarating highs and one crushing low.

In the end, after declaring the season the fourth-greatest achievement in team history, they elected to have a private ceremony to commemorate it last Monday at Gillette Stadium.

Owner Robert Kraft and team president Jonathan Kraft presented the players with rings. On one side of the ring, it reads "16-0 -- perfect season." On the other, it reads "18-1, AFC Championship."

In addition, a banner was made to commemorate the season, and it was unveiled at the ceremony, with Kraft pulling a rope as it came down from the ceiling. It will be displayed at Gillette Stadium, next to the team's Super Bowl banners.

"I think there were two things going on from last year - and one was that it was an extraordinary year that I don't think we got to savor and enjoy," Kraft said.............
Since when does a season not include playoffs and a Super Bowl?

TomBradyWoot
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
You guys are morons. Every AFC and NFC Champion gets a ring. Nowhere on the ring does it say "perfect season". They're going to place a 16-0 banner in the stadium. Big deal. You can't just act like 16-0 didn't happen. Whether they won the Super Bowl or not, there has only been one 16-0 season in history.

djfresh47
08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

An imperfect solution

I think Mercury Morris is an embarassment. I was told the Colts put up an AFC finalist banner a few years ago. Teams in other sports put up division title banners. Personally I think it's all ridiculous. Though nothing is as ridiculous as Mercury Morris.

MattM
08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
As a Bills fan, this is the kind of thing that Pats* fans would just laugh and laugh at if it was someone else doing it (especially a team that's lost 4 SB and shall remain nameless), so here goes:

:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

PS This plays perfectly into my theories on the Krafts--they just can't stand to lose and need to win at all costs in an almost psychotic way. Who knows, maybe Big Bob will flash this ring under Putin's nose, too.....

HurriPhin
08-19-2008, 03:33 AM
You guys are morons. Every AFC and NFC Champion gets a ring. Nowhere on the ring does it say "perfect season". They're going to place a 16-0 banner in the stadium. Big deal. You can't just act like 16-0 didn't happen. Whether they won the Super Bowl or not, there has only been one 16-0 season in history.

Trust me, I definitely want to remember that the patsies went 16-0! All in all, I couldn't have asked for a more "perfect" season myself. It was beautiful watching the patsies gloat on through the season, running up the score with no class, only to sputter 14 pts (yeah Brady, only 14) in the game that mattered most.

Let me ask you: Will anyone remember that the '05 SB champion Steelers went 11-5 during the regular season? Or that the '06 SB champion Colts went 12-4? How 'bout the '07 SB champion Giants going 10-6? Chances are people will only remember that they won the Super Bowl.

There is no significance behind the Patsies going 16-0 if they didn't win the Super Bowl. There is nothing "perfect" about it. (Though, the ironic situation here is that everyone will remember your regular season record this year b/c you lost the SB)

So fly that banner with pride and hold it high so everyone can be reminded of the patsies ultimate failure!

Itsdahumidity
08-19-2008, 08:58 AM
^^^ HurriPhin perfectly perfected summarizing the imperfect pats* quest to perfection..............:D

Perfectville!!!

phins4ever64
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
you're killing me --roflmao

HughC
08-19-2008, 06:19 PM
haha.. let them celebrate their mediocrity. Their end result last season was the EXACT same as ours
I think their organization doing anything to "celebrate" last season - rings, or banners, for example - is extremely lame. However, I don't know that we can call 16-0 or 18-1 mediocre, and if we do, I can't imagine what label would be affixed to 1-15.

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't understand why sports fans feel compelled to point fingers and laugh at whatever team loses a championship (not just New England, and not just football.) For example, why the Broncos (before they finally won) and Bills were always laughed at as losers, while nobody says a word about teams like the Lions or Cardinals.

I just don't get the logic of how a losing season and not making the playoffs is better than winning your conference but losing the championship. And I don't follow the reasoning of why so many want to dwell on a favored team that lost, labeling them chokers, rather than focusing on the story of the underdog that overcame the odds and won.

In spite of all that, I do still feel that rings and a banner are lame (just like a banner for making the playoffs or winning a four-team division is lame.)

Iroquois Joe
08-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Just another example of how rules are made for every other oragnaization but theirs.

Or is it just a case of changing the rules to suit their particular agenda as they go along, feeling no one has the right to question them.

shula_guy
08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I think the idea of a ring and a banner is insultanting to everyone on that team. Kraft is an idiot if he does that. All season long all we heard from them was "the season would be meaningless without a superbowl win". Why would they make a ring or fly a banner to commemerate a meaningless season?

MR NFLFAN
08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2343_A_quick_look_back_at_the_2007_Patriots.html

MOST DOMINANT TEAMS OF THE SUPER BOWL ERA

HurriPhin
08-21-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2343_A_quick_look_back_at_the_2007_Patriots.html

MOST DOMINANT TEAMS OF THE SUPER BOWL ERA

Is that your "bandaid" ?:sidelol:

I guess if that makes the bleeding stop and the pain subside than more power to you.

Qwik Q: How is losing 14-17 dominating???

You also might want to add,

BIGGEST FAILURE IN THE SUPER BOWL ERA