PDA

View Full Version : Favre asks Jets for changes in playbook size

Dtronic
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
In a radio interview Monday afternoon, Brett Favre (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/brett-favre-PESPT002187.topic) said he had spoken with Eric Mangini about hopefully reaching some kind of "middle ground," in terms of the amount of information being fed the quarterback from the bulky Jets (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/new-york-jets-ORSPT000199.topic) playbook.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/ny-spjets205808305aug20,0,332433.story

Poor Brett:boohoo:

Iroquois Joe
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Large Print?
That could bulk his up a tad.

SpaceMountain16
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Brett Favre runs his own chuck it up offense. He doesn't need a big playbook.

JetsFanNY
08-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Don't worry about Brett he'll beat the dolphins twice this year

HurriPhin
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Don't worry about Brett he'll beat the dolphins twice this year

We'll be able to figure out the 3-5 plays he is able to run in the 1st quarter. The only way Fickle Favre will beat any Dolphins is if he goes deep sea fishing.

JetsFanNY
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
We'll be able to figure out the 3-5 plays he is able to run in the 1st quarter. The only way Fickle Favre will beat any Dolphins is if he goes deep sea fishing.

Do you actually believe what you're saying...we could run the same 3-5 plays and still tear you apart

uecker
08-20-2008, 07:48 PM
and then he'll start crying at the press conference, saying how hard it was.
Favre will throw 22 TD passes this year, 15 will be of the 1-4 yard variety just like every other year. And then in the most crucial situation of the year he'll rip the hearts out of every Jet fan with an ill-advised lob pass into triple coverage that gets picked. I've watched him every Sunday up here in Wisconsin and now they're trying to get as many NYJ games here as well. He's great and all but man the drama...

FINSFAN2781
08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Whats the difference when your going to be throwing up picks all day.

shula_guy
08-21-2008, 08:13 AM
He never ceases to amaze me. He whines about everthing! He is a so unprofessional. I can understand them using a watered down playbook to give him some time to catch up but damn he is demanding. He forced his way into being reinstated and now is unwilling to put the effort into learning what he needs to. Farve needs to stop talking to the media, evertime he does he embarasses himself.

HurriPhin
08-21-2008, 02:32 PM
:rotfl1:

Do you actually believe what you're saying...we could run the same 3-5 plays and still tear you apart

Sorry Mr 2posts, but you jests are in for a long season. Ask the Redskins what is was like a couple of years ago for them when they blew all there money on supposedly talented washed up veteran free agents. Football isn't like baseball or basketball where you can buy championships with the purchase of players. Brett never wanted to play for the gang green (who does) and now that his arrogance has landed him there his Alzheimer's has finally kicked in and he needs a color-by-numbers playbook. At least the NFL will able to relish in the extension of his NFL records. Though I don't see why interceptions are any cause for celebration.

jetsman
08-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Sorry Mr 2posts, but you jests are in for a long season. Ask the Redskins what is was like a couple of years ago for them when they blew all there money on supposedly talented washed up veteran free agents. Football isn't like baseball or basketball where you can buy championships with the purchase of players. Brett never wanted to play for the gang green (who does) and now that his arrogance has landed him there his Alzheimer's has finally kicked in and he needs a color-by-numbers playbook. At least the NFL will able to relish in the extension of his NFL records. Though I don't see why interceptions are any cause for celebration.

I'm REALLY looking forward to September 7,2008..............:):):wink::up:

JetsFanNY
08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

as a dolphin fan you have no right to tell anyone that there team is in for a long season...one of the best moments of my life was being in miami last december for the dolphin jet game singing na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na goodbye to dolphin fans as they left dolphin stadium

burger13
08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
as a dolphin fan you have no right to tell anyone that there team is in for a long season...one of the best moments of my life was being in miami last december for the dolphin jet game singing na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na goodbye to dolphin fans as they left dolphin stadium

you my friend must have lived a really pathetic life.....your team wrapping up an amazing 4-win season, beating a pathetic 1-win team ranks right up there for you, huh? I feel for you.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/08/favre_jetssuckcopy-1.jpg

JetsFanNY
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
you my friend must have lived a really pathetic life.....your team wrapping up an amazing 4-win season, beating a pathetic 1-win team ranks right up there for you, huh? I feel for you.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/08/favre_jetssuckcopy-1.jpg

no my life has been really great thanks for asking though...and good luck to the dolphins this year maybe you can double your win total from last year

burger13
08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
no my life has been really great thanks for asking though...and good luck to the dolphins this year maybe you can double your win total from last year

good to hear....I guess those other best moments were REALLY good and perhaps that lackluster sounding 'best moment' you mentioned above just made the bottom of your best moments list. Either way, I'm happy to hear that your life isn't as pathetic as you originally led us to believe. :)

as for doubling our win total....I don't think that there is a 'maybe' about. I'd bet all my finheaven credits on it!! maybe we even triple or quadruple our wins from last year......but doubling? i put that in that LOCK category, and that's a good feeling.

Unfortunately, I give the Jests a far lesser chance at doubling their win total from last year....'maybe' they can match it. :up:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/08/favre_winscopycopy-1.jpg

JetsFanNY
08-22-2008, 03:22 PM
well we have a guaranteed two from the dolphins so that's a good start

PhinzN703
08-22-2008, 04:06 PM

I think I'll wait until you have at least 100 posts to begin even thinking about giving a **** with what you have to say pal :)

djfresh47
08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not a big Favre fan. Though it's an obvious upgrade for the Jets. He gets away with things because he's Brett Favre. He held the Packers hostage the last few seasons and took forever to decide whether he wanted to comeback. Then he retired and couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted to comeback. As a Dolphins fan I can't really criticize a team for not being very good. Though I think the Jets are a 3rd place team in a pretty average division.

It's easy to remember Favre from last year. He was great but the Favre in 2006 and 2005 was at best very average. With going to a new system and having a late start I think Favre will be closer to being the average player we saw in 2006 and 2005 not the MVP candidate of 2007.

The Jets went for it and made a splash by getting Favre. Which I can't fault them for. Though he's still going to turn the ball over. For every gunslinger moment that gets Madden aroused he'll have a bonehead play that gets ignored.

Expectations are going to be high if the Jets win 8 games it theoretically would be a good season because they doubled their win total. Though because of the money spent and bringing in Favre I think the NY media will eat the Jets alive.

JetsFanNY
08-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I think I'll wait until you have at least 100 posts to begin even thinking about giving a **** with what you have to say pal :)

You were thinking about what I said when you wrote that post pal :)

KlausC
08-23-2008, 02:26 AM

What the Jets did this off season was different than what Schneider used to do IMO. Why? Every player they added via FA/Trade (prior to Favre) was a trench player with the exception of Pace who will be used part time in the trenches to stop the run. The pickups addressed obvious areas of need.

They got bigger, stronger and more talented on the O and D line. Schneider used to go after the flashy skill guys for the most part. Remember the Jets won 10 games 2 years ago with a lot less talent and a similar schedule coming off a 4-12 season. If they play well together big things could happen with this team. They had more new starters in '06 than they will in '08 - unless Lowery gets the nod at CB2, then it will be equal to '06.

Parcells is doing a lot of the same in Miami (upgrading the trenches), but he's not spending the money the Jets did. Their are plusses and minuses to each side. The Jets get proven NFL players who are closer to 30 and will probably only be around for a few years. The fins get younger guys who have their entire career in front of them but haven't proven a thing at this level yet. They (fins) also have a better salary cap situation. Obviously both teams didn't get only players that meet my descriptions, but the general trend matches.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Jets o-line has performed significantly better at pass protection and run blocking in the preseason than last season. Their front 7 on defense are also performing significantly better in stopping the run. Last season we all saw both of these units doing ****ty all preseason. Granted, it's been a limited sample so far. We'll find out a lot about these units when they face the Giants today with probably a half being the starters.

Brett wanted to play football. His first choice was not the Jets, but that's where he ended up. I'd be willing to bet that at least half the guys that got drafted this year preferred to play for another team. That's not going to stop them from playing their ***** off. Why? Because they love the game and are competitors who want to win and be the best at what they do. I'm not worried at all about the effort that's going to be put forth by Brett Favre playing with a chip on his shoulder. He loves football and wants to win every game.

As for the smaller playbook, I think what he actually asked for was to simplify the terminology, not shrink the playbook. The current CS has gone on record before Favre ever came here saying they only use 10-15% of the playbook in each game, and the selection of plays they use are game planned throughout the week prior to the game. My point here is that I don't think the number of plays will be an issue. The terminology on the other hand could be. Especially since there is a crossover of terms from GB to the NYJ where the same term means completely different things.

I am a bit worried about him knowing the offense (terminology) very well at the beginning of the season. He said he knew only about 15 plays for last weeks game. Of course he had only been on the Jets for 9 days at that point. We'll see how the Giants game looks ... maybe it will be ugly, maybe it won't.

And please stop with the INT record. First of all, Pennington has a worse TD/INT ratio than Favre over the last 5 years (Penny 1.18 TD/INT, Favre 1.28 TD/INT). Also, Penny's picks are almost always short passes. Favre's are more often deep passes. INT's don't always result in a score by the opposing team, especially when they're thrown further downfield. 10 TD's and 10 INT's is better than 5 TD's and 5 INT's because the net points scored is greater if you assume the same percentage of scores by the opposition when getting an INT.

You guys keep trying to make yourself feel better about us having Favre. It's funny how Penny, the guy we cut, gets all kinds of praise from you clowns but you somehow keep finding silly things to try and say Favre isn't good. There's no comparison between the two QB's. Penny upgrades the fins QB position but he's not in the same universe as Favre. Henne is clearly the most talented QB on your roster.

And yeah, from what I've seen of your secondary Favre probably could run only 3-5 pass plays all game and pick them apart. He could probably tell your secondary the exact play and still pick them apart. If the fins are able to run all over us they can win the game, and they do seem to have a very capable run blocking o-line with 2 very good backs running behind them.

It's easy to remember Favre from last year. He was great but the Favre in 2006 and 2005 was at best very average. With going to a new system and having a late start I think Favre will be closer to being the average player we saw in 2006 and 2005 not the MVP candidate of 2007.
The quality of the team around him had a lot to do with the difference in his performance. The new GB CS also worked with him to play smarter and rely on his team mates more. In 2005 he threw up a bunch of ridiculous passes trying to win games that his injury riddled team had no business winning. He played poorly, I'm not saying he didn't, but their were some factors involved that hopefully don't exist on the Jets. As the GB team got better, Favre got better. The same could be said for most QB's including guys like Montana and Elway. My opinion is that this NYJ team is closer to the talent on the 2007 packers than the 2005 or 2006 packers. I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with that, but I will stand by what I said.

HurriPhin
08-23-2008, 11:22 AM
What the Jets did this off season was different than what Schneider used to do IMO.....
I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with that, but I will stand by what I said.

Very well said and very intelligent post, especially in response to my sarcasm and jest (no reference to Jets intended :)). I agree on your take on how the Jets have improved differently than how the Redskins raided the free agency cabinet. Though congrats on landing Favre, you also have to realize we're stoked on Penny because, well, anything is better than starting McClown on opening day. You can attest to Penny's leadership, experience and professionalism, all are qualities we have lacked at the position for quite some time. We're hoping all of these attributes are passed on to Henne. Also, despite Penny's lack of arm strength his accuracy is second to none.

I really hope everyone in the AFC East improves (with, of course, the exception of the Patsies). It would be good to see the AFC East go back to being the strongest division in football again and I think we could be back on that track.

nyjunc
08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not a big Favre fan. Though it's an obvious upgrade for the Jets. He gets away with things because he's Brett Favre. He held the Packers hostage the last few seasons and took forever to decide whether he wanted to comeback. Then he retired and couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted to comeback. As a Dolphins fan I can't really criticize a team for not being very good. Though I think the Jets are a 3rd place team in a pretty average division.

The Jets went for it and made a splash by getting Favre. Which I can't fault them for. Though he's still going to turn the ball over. For every gunslinger moment that gets Madden aroused he'll have a bonehead play that gets ignored.

Expectations are going to be high if the Jets win 8 games it theoretically would be a good season because they doubled their win total. Though because of the money spent and bringing in Favre I think the NY media will eat the Jets alive.

8 wins will NOT be a good seaon, we won 10 just 2 seasons ago so on the field anything less than 10 would be a major disappopintment despite how bad we were a year ago. I thought we'd win around 10 w/ Chad so we better win more w/ Favre. I think favre gives us a higher ceiling but a lower floor. If he gets it and plays like close to the way he played last year we could have a great season BUT if he cannot pick up the system quick enough and shows his age we could really struggle. I think he'll be fine but I don't know which is why I didn't want to make the move.

djfresh47
08-23-2008, 12:33 PM
8 wins will NOT be a good seaon, we won 10 just 2 seasons ago so on the field anything less than 10 would be a major disappopintment despite how bad we were a year ago. I thought we'd win around 10 w/ Chad so we better win more w/ Favre. I think favre gives us a higher ceiling but a lower floor. If he gets it and plays like close to the way he played last year we could have a great season BUT if he cannot pick up the system quick enough and shows his age we could really struggle. I think he'll be fine but I don't know which is why I didn't want to make the move.

Which is the point i'm trying to make. I like when teams "go for it." So I don't think it's a bad move. Really what it tells me is that they've given up on Clemens. Though I think Pennington would've won the job and Favre is huge upgrade over Pennington. I'm not going to predict how much longer Favre decides to play but I think it'll be at most this season and next. So the Jets have a 2 year window in which they've gotta make a run. They and the Bills are very much improved IMO. Coupled that with the hope the Pats can't go on Braves like division winning streak and i'm hoping one of them tops the Pats off. I'm not betting on it though.

burger13
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM

done....as promised!! :)

jetsman
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
done....as promised!! :)
I hope you had higher aspirations than that..........:wink: