PDA

View Full Version : GG Jets Fans: Gholston Is Regressing...

BLITZKRIEG
08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=35073

They don't sound very pleased / excited about their 2008 first round draft pick over there. I guess only time will tell if he can make it at this level, but heading into week one, this is promising news for Jake considering his past difficulties against him in college....

PHINZ RULE!!!

CitizenSnips
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Gholston will be a great player in this league. Its just a matter of time. He's playing an entirely new position right now against much better competition, so it doesn't surprise me that he hasn't lookd like an all-star just yet. However, rushing the passer is something he'll be able to handle, so Jake will still have his hands full.

SeasonsMusic
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
lols

feelthepain
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Past difficulties? He gave up 1 sack to Gholston in his college career. Hoenstly I'd rather Jake face the best players in the league, not hope we get lucky every week.

BLITZKRIEG
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Past difficulties? He gave up 1 sack to Gholston in his college career.

He was the only player that Jake struggled against in college, so you know what I meant...

PHINZ RULE!!!

gromet76
08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
fantastic

Canadianfishfan
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Well there is one less thing to worry about come week one.

DolphinsFan23
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
That'll be an interesting matchup .... Gholston vs. Jake Long. Just like old times with Michigan vs. Ohio State ... in the big leagues of the NFL in the season opener. It'll be a bit of drama for Jake I'm sure. He'll probably work his butt off to make sure Gholston doesn't get past him.

Mr772
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Gholston will be a great player in this league. Its just a matter of time. He's playing an entirely new position right now against much better competition, so it doesn't surprise me that he hasn't lookd like an all-star just yet. However, rushing the passer is something he'll be able to handle, so Jake will still have his hands full.

Sounds like he is missing tackles. Tackling is just a basic fundamental of football.

Mr772
08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
That'll be an interesting matchup .... Gholston vs. Jake Long. Just like old times with Michigan vs. Ohio State ... in the big leagues of the NFL in the season opener. It'll be a bit of drama for Jake I'm sure. He'll probably work his butt off to make sure Gholston doesn't get past him.

I would be willing to guarantee that if Gholston goes up against Long one on one he will never get around him to the QB.

Mcganiel
08-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I watched all the jets games this preseason and Gholston is struggling keeping backs from turning the corner. Coachable stuff but i think we can take advatage of this this week..

ZILLA
08-29-2008, 10:46 AM
any bad news for the jets is good news to me!

tmny99
08-29-2008, 10:50 AM
any bad news for the jets is good news to me!

I second that.

Nublar7
08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Still to early to make a decision on him, but I think out of all the first rounders from 08' he had the biggest bust potential.

dolpns13
08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
There must be better steriod testing in the NFL than in the NCAA

ChambersWI
08-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I love how everybody says Jake struggled against Gholston when in the 2 years he's gone up against Gholston he got beat once. Hell I remember NFLN showing highlights of the two during the draft and Jake pancaked Gholston quite a bit (It was Steve Schilling, a RS freshmen who was injured that Gholston dominated).

Anyways, not saying Gholston will be a bust. You all should know that over the last 5 first rounders we've had, the only ones that haven't gotten threads made about them being busts in preseason are the Big 10 Boys (Teddy Ginn and Jake Long). Everybody panicked when Carey got beat out by John St. Clair, everybody panicked after Ronnie, everybody panicked about Allen (who I'm puzzled might not be starting as he has looked very good).

The thing with Gholston is he is a project that was a top 10 pick because of great combine numbers and a need for pass rushers. While very very good his last 2 years at O$U, he does not have a refined pass rush. He relied mostly on god given talent, and an overall lack of dominant OTs to go up against (only elite guys he's gone up against in the Big 10 were Jake and Levi Brown). Guys like Ware,Wimbley, and Merriman (who came in right away and made a difference in the 3-4) all had a wide variety of pass rushing moves and (in the case of Ware and Merriman) were more athletic than Gholston. Had Gholston went to a 4-3 team, I think you would see him look a lot better.

FinaticalOne
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Here's another site where they feel the same way...

http://jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175858

Fullerboy
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah but what about Sony.. I mean Howie kid, How is he doing? you hear very little from him.

ChambersWI
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah but what about Sony.. I mean Howie kid, How is he doing? you hear very little from him.

according to the Ram fans I've talked to he's been alright. He hasn't been showing up on the stat sheets, but he's being asked to be a strongside defensive end, and he's done that fairly well.

nyjunc
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=35073

They don't sound very pleased / excited about their 2008 first round draft pick over there. I guess only time will tell if he can make it at this level, but heading into week one, this is promising news for Jake considering his past difficulties against him in college....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Anyone who expected him to contribute right away wasn't being realistic. He's a top 5 pick but he's still a bit of a project and we have good players playing inf ront of him now anyway(thankfully). I'll be worried if he's still having similar difficulties next preseason.

feelthepain
08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I love how everybody says Jake struggled against Gholston when in the 2 years he's gone up against Gholston he got beat once.

sigh,....I know.

Fullerboy
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
according to the Ram fans I've talked to he's been alright. He hasn't been showing up on the stat sheets, but he's being asked to be a strongside defensive end, and he's done that fairly well.

I know he wouldnŽt be a bust but was he worthy of his draft status as of yet, or do he need more time?

ZachThomas76
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
If the Phins had drafted Gholston, people on here would be talki ng him up as the next Lawrence Taylor. I guess a bit of perspective is out of the question here. Timmons and Woodley barely even saw the field last year for the Steelers. It takes time for some guys to convert out to 3-4 olb.

ChambersWI
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
If the Phins had drafted Gholston, people on here would be talki ng him up as the next Lawrence Taylor. I guess a bit of perspective is out of the question here. Timmons and Woodley barely even saw the field last year for the Steelers. It takes time for some guys to convert out to 3-4 olb.

Woodley actually saw the field quite a bit coming off the bench, he just didn't put up big numbers. He did have some experience as an OLB though because Michigan used to play a 3-4. Timmons was hurt in preseason, and this year I think they decided to move him to ILB instead of OLB.

I know he wouldnŽt be a bust but was he worthy of his draft status as of yet, or do he need more time?

every rookie deserves a chance in the regular season.

Fullerboy
08-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Knowing what we know up till this point, I can say IŽam more than happy to have big Jake!

djfresh47
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Anyone who expected him to contribute right away wasn't being realistic. He's a top 5 pick but he's still a bit of a project and we have good players playing inf ront of him now anyway(thankfully). I'll be worried if he's still having similar difficulties next preseason.

Yeah but everybody wants instant gratification. A guy will have a bad game as a rookie and he's a bust. I thought Gholston was raw coming out. He's more of a project but his upside I think is tremendous.

HurriPhin
08-29-2008, 10:23 PM
What did you expect??? Of course he's gonna be a bust. He was drafted by the Jests in the 1st round. Thats just how things go with them. :sidelol:

nyjunc
08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
What did you expect??? Of course he's gonna be a bust. He was drafted by the Jests in the 1st round. Thats just how things go with them. :sidelol:

Unfortunately we haven't been able to draft as well as the dolphins which is why they been so great this decade:lol: