PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 2 vs Guitar Hero World Tour

bigwalt18
08-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Thoughts?????????

maccachief
08-30-2008, 01:07 AM
rock band 2 easily. way more DLC plus songs that are actually charted right. neversoft just seems to like to throw notes at a dartboard and hope they stick for their note charts.

not to mention, at release, rock band 2 will have 84 on-disc songs, plus 20 free downlodable songs on the day of release. also...most of the 58 songs from rock band 1 will be transferable to rock band 2, for a $5 fee, so that's pretty much like 160-ish songs at launch, not counting the 200-ish DLC songs available right now, with a promise of at least 500 DLC songs by years end

GHWT? they have 85 on-disc songs, and no backlog of DLC. neversoft has claimed to back DLC more with ghwt, but i'll believe it when i see it. the studio mode, imo, will amount to nothing more than 12 year olds charting "dragonforce" songs. unless you're EXTREMELY creative, the studio mode will be pretty worthless. plus...the neversoft guys like to think they created guitar hero, when actually it was harmonix (who now does rock band) and neversoft also likes to trash talk whenever possible.

if you had to get one, get RB2. if you can afford it, i'd get both (like i'm going to do). i already have rock band 1, so i won't need to get instruments (rb1 instruments play on rb2 and ghwt). and for what it's worth, i've been playing these games since gh1, so pretty much know what i'm talking about

Get Up And Go
09-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm getting GH:WT. I like the visual presentation a lot better.

footballer
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
i havent yet jumped on the whole music bandwagon-
however, i have been eyeballing the rock band 1 set up-
i have a 6 year old and and 4 year old, and their both money with the sticks-

but...... i dont want to play the rock band by myself if its too hard for them-
do you have to have 4 people to play the rock band?
is its guitar play as good as gutiar hero?

maccachief
09-11-2008, 05:39 PM
no, you don't have to have a full band to play rock band. you can do it solo.

as far as the guitar..it depends. the guitar plays as well as guitar hero 2 did (because harmonix made gh2) but it is a LOT easier than the guitar in gh3 (because neversoft did gh3, and they suck at making note charts)

DisturbedShifty
09-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Guitar Hero WT. They have Tool.

Edit: Offical track list was announced today. Here they are.

30 Seconds To Mars--The Kill
311--Beautiful Disaster
Airbourne--Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast
The Allman Brothers Band--Ramblin' Man
Anouk--Good God
The Answer--Never Too Late
At the Drive-In--One Armed Scissor
Beastie Boys--No Sleep Till Brooklyn
Beatsteaks--Hail To The Freaks
Billy Idol--Rebel Yell
Black Label Society--Stillborn
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club--Weapon of Choice
blink-182--Dammit
Blondie--One Way or Another
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band--Hollywood Nights
Bon Jovi--Livin' on a Prayer
Bullet for My Valentine--Scream Aim Fire
Coldplay--Shiver
Creedence Clearwater Revival--Up Around the Bend
The Cult--Love Removal Machine
Dinosaur Jr.--Feel the Pain
The Doors--Love Me Two Times
Dream Theater--Pull Me Under
The Eagles--Hotel California
The Enemy--Aggro
Filter--Hey Man, Nice Shot
Fleetwood Mac--Go Your Own Way
Foo Fighters--Everlong
The Guess Who--American Woman
HushPuppies--You're Gonna Say Yeah!
Interpol--Obstacle 1
Jane's Addiction--Mountain Song
Jimi Hendrix--The Wind Cries Mary
Jimi Hendrix--Purple Haze (Live)
Jimmy Eat World--The Middle
Joe Satriani--Satch Boogie
Kent--Vinternoll2
Korn--Freak on a Leash
Lacuna Coil--Our Truth
Lenny Kravitz--Are You Gonna Go My Way
Linkin Park--What I've Done
The Living End--Prisoner of Society
Los Lobos--La Bamba
Lostprophets--Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)
Lynyrd Skynyrd--Sweet Home Alabama (Live)
The Mars Volta--L'Via L'Viaquez
MC5's Wayne Kramer--Kick Out the Jams
Metallica--Trapped Under Ice
Michael Jackson--Beat It
Modest Mouse--Float On
Motorhead--Overkill
Muse--Assassin
Negramaro--Nuvole e Lenzuola
Nirvana--About A Girl [Unplugged]
No Doubt--Spiderwebs
NOFX--Soul Doubt
Oasis--Some Might Say
Ozzy Osbourne--Crazy Train
Ozzy Osbourne--Mr. Crowley
Paramore--Misery Business
Pat Benatar--Heartbreaker
Radio Futura--Escuela De Calor
R.E.M.--The One I Love
Rise Against--Re-Education Through Labor
Sex Pistols--Pretty Vacant
Silversun Pickups--Lazy Eye
Smashing Pumpkins--Today
Steely Dan--Do It Again
Steve Miller Band--The Joker
Sting--Demolition Man (Live)
The Stone Roses--Love Spreads
Stuck in the Sound--Toy Boy
Sublime--Santeria
Survivor--Eye of the Tiger
System Of A Down--B.Y.O.B.
Ted Nugent--Stranglehold
Ted Nugent--Original Guitar Duel Recording
Tokio Hotel--Monsoon
Tool--Parabola
Tool--Schism
Tool--Vicarious
Trust--Antisocial
Van Halen--Hot For Teacher
Willie Nelson--On The Road Again
Wings--Band on the Run
Zakk Wylde--Original Guitar Duel Recording

NC Fins Fan
09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
TOOL for the win

muscle979
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Rock Band 2. It's not even close. And this is from someone who has played every Guitar Hero game [and owns 1-3] up to this point. Rock Band revolutionized this genre. I was skeptical but I broke down and bought Rock Band last April [I had bought GuitarHero 3 as soon as it was released], I haven't regretted it for a second. I have about 90 songs on RB right now and with the new game and backwards compability I will have an insane amount once RB2 comes out. Not to mention they keep the DLC coming every week. GH3 sucked with DLC. They hardly ever released anything worth looking at. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. If RB wasn't the best out there GH wouldn't be copying them with this new game.

SpaceMountain16
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I am really liking Rock Band 2, especially since RUSH's Moving Pictures album came out today.

PhinsPhan
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
the real question should be if I should get Rock Band 2, when I already have 1. Is there a big enough upgrade or are the tracks worth the $60+$5 (transfer fee) when I play it sparingly with friends over.

BARF
10-31-2008, 08:50 PM
does anybody know if the rock band drums are compatible with rock band 2 game and if also the gh2 and gh3 guitars compatible with rb2. i know the gh3 guitar is compatible with rb1, but i do not know if they carried that over

Dolphin1184
11-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Rock Band 2. It's not even close. And this is from someone who has played every Guitar Hero game [and owns 1-3] up to this point. Rock Band revolutionized this genre. I was skeptical but I broke down and bought Rock Band last April [I had bought GuitarHero 3 as soon as it was released], I haven't regretted it for a second. I have about 90 songs on RB right now and with the new game and backwards compability I will have an insane amount once RB2 comes out. Not to mention they keep the DLC coming every week. GH3 sucked with DLC. They hardly ever released anything worth looking at. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. If RB wasn't the best out there GH wouldn't be copying them with this new game.

It IS close actually... more like the other way around. The drumset on GH:WT is MUCH better than Rock Band 2. Not to mention that it is compatible for BOTH games.

maccachief
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
does anybody know if the rock band drums are compatible with rock band 2 game and if also the gh2 and gh3 guitars compatible with rb2. i know the gh3 guitar is compatible with rb1, but i do not know if they carried that over
everything from the GH series is compatible with rock band 1 and 2. everything from the RB series is compatible with GHWT, except for maybe the strat. i threw mine away cause it sucks

and for what it's worth...everything from rock revolution is supposed to work with rb/ghwt, but that game blows so i haven't actually met anyone whose played it

the only think that works on rb but not on ghwt right now is the ION drumset, but that's not made by hmx/ea/mtv/whoever, but by another 3rd party

SpurzN703
11-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I bought the Wii last week and we bought Guitar Hero Legends of Rock yesterday. I dunno anything about Rock Band but I do know that Guitar Hero ****ing rules so far.

Really glad I got the Wii :D

maccachief
12-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I bought the Wii last week and we bought Guitar Hero Legends of Rock yesterday. I dunno anything about Rock Band but I do know that Guitar Hero ****ing rules so far.

Really glad I got the Wii :D
see...i thought gh3 was the worst one out of the entire series, but to each his own

and now, after playing ghwt and rb2 extensively, i must say rb2 wins this round hands down. i'm talking about the game itself, not about instruments (since all instruments are compatible). for me, there just aren't that many songs on ghwt that i really enjoy playing (for those interested: expert guitar/bass, hard drums). sure i enjoy playing the tool songs, the jimi songs, muse and stranglehold, but that's really about it, while rb2 has many songs on-disc that i like to play, as well as tons of dlc that i have for the game, and the rb1 setlist (-3 songs).

the drum charts in rb2 are more fun to play for me too. so far, all of the drum songs i've played on ghwt have been basic tempo beats. nothing really fun about it, but repetitive instead. granted, with drums, you're gonna be repeating a lot anyway...but not EVERY song is gonna have the same basic beat/tempo, and ghwt seems to have that problem on many of the songs i've played

plus...rb has the weekly dlc to contend with. and most of the dlc i've enjoyed (i'm up to nearly 350 out of almost 500 total songs, that's about 213 songs that i've downloaded). the dlc released for ghwt so far has not held my interest at all (i've picked up the jimi pack and the no rain single)

for those that play in full 4-player bands, i think rb also wins in that category, for the simple fact that you can "save" a bandmate when/if they fail. granted, in ghwt, the star power is bandwide (meaning that a vocalist can earn star power, and anyone else in the band can use it) so someone in trouble could use the other bandmate's star power to help them, but it just doesn't feel as fun as rb's style, especially since the "fail meter" is pretty out of the way to look at when you're playing anything besides vocals and guitar

Dolpfan_72
12-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Rock Band 2 with GH: WT drumset. the end.

Get Up And Go
12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I just played Rockband 2 and I still think GH: WT is way better.

Dolphins9954
12-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm in a fix right now. RB2 or GHWT? I've always been a fan of guitar hero. And I really want to get GHWT because the drum set looks 10x better. But at the same time I hear a lot of good things about RB2. I play both guitar and drums. I'm more of a drummer than anything. Will I be disappointed with RB2's drums? GHWT drum set is the only selling point for me right now, But the good talk about RB2 really has me stuck with which one to buy. Help me please. I got money burning a hole in my pocket.

SpurzN703
12-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Can you use Guitar Hero's guitars with Rock Band?

maccachief
12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
yes, you can use gh's guitars with rb, and the gh guitars are the best ones to use. i still use my x-plorer for all guitar gaming needs

and as for which drumset to use, you can't really go wrong with either one. they both have their plusses and minuses, from what i've heard/read. but i enjoy my rb2 drums

and also...if you're more of a drummer, i recommend rb2. like i said in a previous post, the drum charts on ghwt just seemed not nearly as fun as the ones on rb2. they were just too repetitive. remember...ghwt is a guitar game first with other instruments added on. rb was made from the ground up as a full band game, even though the guitar still seems to get a lot of the spotlight shown on it

Dolphins9954
12-07-2008, 04:38 PM
yes, you can use gh's guitars with rb, and the gh guitars are the best ones to use. i still use my x-plorer for all guitar gaming needs

and as for which drumset to use, you can't really go wrong with either one. they both have their plusses and minuses, from what i've heard/read. but i enjoy my rb2 drums

and also...if you're more of a drummer, i recommend rb2. like i said in a previous post, the drum charts on ghwt just seemed not nearly as fun as the ones on rb2. they were just too repetitive. remember...ghwt is a guitar game first with other instruments added on. rb was made from the ground up as a full band game, even though the guitar still seems to get a lot of the spotlight shown on it

Are the drums the same for RB1 and RB2. They got a killer deal here to buy RB1 with everything for $99. I was thinking to buy RB1 then buy RB2 disk only. Is that a good idea?

SpurzN703
12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Do you need to have drums to play GHWT or is it an added bonus if you do? I only ask b/c currently I only have the two guitars from GH Legends of Rock.

At some point I'll throw down the money for drums but not yet

Get Up And Go
12-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm in a fix right now. RB2 or GHWT? I've always been a fan of guitar hero. And I really want to get GHWT because the drum set looks 10x better. But at the same time I hear a lot of good things about RB2. I play both guitar and drums. I'm more of a drummer than anything. Will I be disappointed with RB2's drums? GHWT drum set is the only selling point for me right now, But the good talk about RB2 really has me stuck with which one to buy. Help me please. I got money burning a hole in my pocket.

I like world tour A LOT better. I recently rented Rock band 2 and I returned it the next day.

maccachief
12-09-2008, 11:54 PM
you don't have to have the drums to play either game. you could use both games for guitar play only

and as for the rb1 set for $99...that's not that bad of a deal, but consider these opinions of mine:
1) the rb1 guitar blows. don't even bother with it, go buy a used x-plorer gh2 guitar (assuming you have a 360, if you don't, go buy a used wireless sg)
2) the rb1 drums aren't THAT bad out of the box, but with a little modification, they are a lot better. i went out and bought a sheet of adhesive foam and a sheet of adhesive felt. cut the foam out to fit the drumpads, stuck the foam on the pads, then stuck the felt on the foam. this makes the pads quieter and also allows for more bounce on your sticks. also..don't play too hard with the pedal, or it might break. i recommend some sort of reinforcement

even if you did get that bundle for rb1, and then bought the other guitar and the mod for the drums, it's less than a full rb2 bundle

and i gotta wonder get up and go, what level difficulty you play on?

EDIT: forgot to mention to dolphins9954, if you buy that rb1 set for $99, you can then export 55/58 of the rb1 songs and put them on your harddrive for $5 (as long as you're online to get the update/download code). then, you could take the rb1 disc and trade it in towards rb2. then, you'll have all the rb1 songs available to play on rb2, as well as all of the rb2 stuff. the only 3 songs you can't export and transfer over are "enter sandman" by metallica, a cover of "paranoid" by black sabbath, and a cover of "run to the hills" by iron maiden. if you do export the rb1 songs into rb2, you could then go into your harddrive later and delete any rb1 songs that you don't care to play, so then you won't have to worry about them being played randomly in rb2

Dolphins9954
12-10-2008, 10:40 AM
you don't have to have the drums to play either game. you could use both games for guitar play only

and as for the rb1 set for $99...that's not that bad of a deal, but consider these opinions of mine:
1) the rb1 guitar blows. don't even bother with it, go buy a used x-plorer gh2 guitar (assuming you have a 360, if you don't, go buy a used wireless sg)
2) the rb1 drums aren't THAT bad out of the box, but with a little modification, they are a lot better. i went out and bought a sheet of adhesive foam and a sheet of adhesive felt. cut the foam out to fit the drumpads, stuck the foam on the pads, then stuck the felt on the foam. this makes the pads quieter and also allows for more bounce on your sticks. also..don't play too hard with the pedal, or it might break. i recommend some sort of reinforcement

even if you did get that bundle for rb1, and then bought the other guitar and the mod for the drums, it's less than a full rb2 bundle

EDIT: forgot to mention to dolphins9954, if you buy that rb1 set for $99, you can then export 55/58 of the rb1 songs and put them on your harddrive for $5 (as long as you're online to get the update/download code). then, you could take the rb1 disc and trade it in towards rb2. then, you'll have all the rb1 songs available to play on rb2, as well as all of the rb2 stuff. the only 3 songs you can't export and transfer over are "enter sandman" by metallica, a cover of "paranoid" by black sabbath, and a cover of "run to the hills" by iron maiden. if you do export the rb1 songs into rb2, you could then go into your harddrive later and delete any rb1 songs that you don't care to play, so then you won't have to worry about them being played randomly in rb2

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the new RB2 bundle. I read that the guitar and drums are better than the first RB1. I rented GHWT. It's pretty fun but I've played all of the Guitar Hero's and I'm looking for something new. RB2 will do that for me. Thanks for your time.

maccachief
12-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the new RB2 bundle. I read that the guitar and drums are better than the first RB1. I rented GHWT. It's pretty fun but I've played all of the Guitar Hero's and I'm looking for something new. RB2 will do that for me. Thanks for your time.
no problem. i don't know your financial situation, but one of the main draws to the rb series is the DLC. be sure to check that out. lots of stuff there

SpurzN703
12-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the insight friend ;)

Perfect23
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Rock Band 2

zackmandude63
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
i dont know if its just my guitar, but for RB, the damn thing never goes into overdrive. On a side note: anyone play GH:Metallica yet? I haven't but i remember rerading somewhere that the drum set can use two pedals. How insane is that?!

maccachief
04-21-2009, 05:00 AM
i dont know if its just my guitar, but for RB, the damn thing never goes into overdrive. On a side note: anyone play GH:Metallica yet? I haven't but i remember rerading somewhere that the drum set can use two pedals. How insane is that?!
if you like metallica, gh:m is really good. i've gone as far as saying that it is my favorite on-disc plastic instrument game yet (by on-disc, i mean not counting DLC, since only the "death magnetic" album works for gh:m). my favorite plastic instrument game is still rb2 though, because of the dlc

and yeah..i have that problem with my guitar too (not going into overdrive, or i have to almost turn it 100 degrees for it to activate). i credit that to the guitar being a few years old with a few loose mechanics and what not. still the best guitar though (x-plorer from 360 gh2)

and yeah...you can use 2 pedals for gh:m. actually...it is possible to use 2 pedals for any of the music games, it's just that gh:m is the only one that has double bass actually charted (only if you play on expert+, for drums only). there are a few retail drum pedals out there that come with a splitter (i like the metal pedal personally) that you can hook up to your drumset to get double bass. if i remember correctly though, you still can't have one pedal pressed down and try to press down on the other pedal. you can only have one pedal pressed down at a time to get credit for the notes, so that takes some getting used to

SpaceMountain16
04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I still haven't played GH: WT but i heard it sucks.