PDA

View Full Version : McCain: Rich aides may work for $1 a year

The_Dark_Knight
09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
John McCain says he’d impose a little fiscal discipline on his Cabinet — by asking the best-off to work for one dollar per year
The vow, made in an interview taped with Bob Schieffer for CBS’s “Face the Nation,” fits with McCain’s new push to run as a reformer who would shake up Washington, where he has worked for the past 26 years.

Schieffer asked McCain whether he would put Democrats in his Cabinet.
“Sure,” McCain replied. “I don't know how many. But I can tell you, with all due respect to previous administrations, it is not going to be a single, ‘Well, we have a Democrat now.’”

That’s an apparent reference to the sole Democrat in President Bush’s Cabinet, former Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080907/pl_politico/13216

Dolphan7
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I believe he will do it too! I think Lieberman will have a place in this Aministration for sure.

Tetragrammaton
09-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I did the math, and it isn't exact, but the money saved from salaries for millionaires will be lost tenfold in his policies.

Dolphan7
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I did the math, and it isn't exact, but the money saved from salaries for millionaires will be lost tenfold in his policies.Wow, You think?

I think it is a matter of principle, not saving enough money to mean something.

Tetragrammaton
09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, You think?

The Governator donates his salary to charity.

I think it is a way to try and maintain that "public servant" look. Between the millions they already have and the millions they will pocket from special interests, I don't think they care. This goes for Obama if he tries this ploy too.

The_Dark_Knight
09-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Wow, You think?

It is a matter of principle and the principle, in my opinion sends a message..."you're not coming to Washington to make money...you're coming to work"

I didn't know that Schwarzenegger donates his salary to charity. GOOD FOR HIM!!! I do know that General Patton, already a millionaire when he went in to the Army, never took a salary from the Army.

To me, people who are already wealthy working for a buck,...that's a "change" I'd like to see.

MDFINFAN
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM

so basically McCain is op opting Obama's platform, why not Bush is..

Don't you guys see it...Everything Obama has said and preached the Repubs are now following, and that's the key, following..

If you saw Obama's economy team, he had a bi partisan group... Everything he's said, the repubs are now doing including McCain..

Why vote for the followings, when you can have the leader....it's obvious to me who's the maverick and who's the coattail swaggers....but we know, we know...most of you guys buy into the rheotric of the repubs....even though McCain's own website outline more bush in policies, you guys are willing to buy into the fast talk...talk about not making sense..I wish someone would really tell me why we want to go in the same direction we're going..read the facts, his website is up, this guy who says he doesn't know much about the economy, who puts up bush like econ plan, you guys think that person can get us out of the problems we're in economically wise when he himself admits to not knowing enough...come on...pls explain this in a logical way that I will understand with no way to ripped you for it..I promise I want if it makes sense.. A logical answer will get you a thank you from me, I promise.:up:

WSE
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I believe he will do it too! I think Lieberman will have a place in this Aministration for sure.

Leiberman is an independant, not a democrat.

ohall
09-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Only because the DEM PP wanted to punish him because of his correct stance on the Iraq war.

Shame DEM PP, shame!

Dolphan7
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Leiberman is an independant, not a democrat.It doesn't matter. He is NOT a Republican. It shows bi-partisanship.

The_Dark_Knight
09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
so basically McCain is op opting Obama's platform, why not Bush is..

Don't you guys see it...Everything Obama has said and preached the Repubs are now following, and that's the key, following..

If you saw Obama's economy team, he had a bi partisan group... Everything he's said, the repubs are now doing including McCain..

Why vote for the followings, when you can have the leader....it's obvious to me who's the maverick and who's the coattail swaggers....but we know, we know...most of you guys buy into the rheotric of the repubs....even though McCain's own website outline more bush in policies, you guys are willing to buy into the fast talk...talk about not making sense..I wish someone would really tell me why we want to go in the same direction we're going..read the facts, his website is up, this guy who says he doesn't know much about the economy, who puts up bush like econ plan, you guys think that person can get us out of the problems we're in economically wise when he himself admits to not knowing enough...come on...pls explain this in a logical way that I will understand with no way to ripped you for it..I promise I want if it makes sense.. A logical answer will get you a thank you from me, I promise.:up:
Let me tell you what I see the difference being MD. While these two have been out campaigning, Obama's been saying "change, change, change". Like the old Wendy's commerical, I kept asking, "where's the beef"? I kept looking for details and didn't get any. And whenever I would ask, I would get, "it's on his website". Well for ME MD....if you're campaigning, I don't want to be told, "Go to my website at www.voteforme.com (http://www.voteforme.com) and my plan is there on how..." TELL ME!!!

Now, with McCain, at least he's given me specifics. He's SAID what he's going to do. He's said what he wants to do with the economy...with Iraq...with immigration...how he wants democrats, independents and republicans alike in his cabinet. I've heard specifics. Obama's message of "Change" has been so vague in his campaign stops that even Jay leno had to do a spoof on it...Obama with the belt worn changer giving change to a lady...because that's the only thing he's said...change.

Here's the thing. The President has made some mistakes. Some more than others, but not everything he has done has been a failure. Some conservative policies (conservative, NOT Bush) would carry over to a McCain administrations. Others would be revamped...some would be scrapped all together. You often refer to the same economic policies that the President has, mainly taxes...but Obama himself just said that you wouldn't raise taxes right away anyhow if the economy was headed into a recession. Well, according to the democratic drumbeat, we're already in a recession...so if that's the case, then the BUSH tax cuts would remain in place. One main difference though between Obama/Bush (that's right..no typo) and McCain. McCain wants to CUT spending. Obama wants to increase spending, just like the President has during his adminstration.

No MD, McCain isn't opting for any of Obama's plans. McCain has a 26 year record in the congress and the senate that clearly illustrates he is his OWN man...26 years of being a maverick even through the Bush administration. The problem though...too many pundits see something in his plan that's conservative and autmotically label it "Bush" and want to say that McCain is another 4 years of Bush...where if you actually look at political and economic history...McCain wants to do the same thing for the economy that Ronald Reagan did...and I think we can all agree that George W Bush is no Ronald Reagan.

The_Dark_Knight
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Leiberman is an independent only by political registration. He still considers himself a democrat...or did you not watch his speech at the RNC?

Tetragrammaton
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Leiberman is an independent only by political registration. He still considers himself a democrat...or did you not watch his speech at the RNC?

He says that the Democratic Party has abandoned the principles he believed in. I guess I am a Republican because they had good policies from 1860-1908 or so.

Parties change. The members either change with them or change parties.

WSE
09-08-2008, 02:26 PM

he tends to side with dems more on the social issues, but overall with the war favors the Republican side

he could consider himself what he wants- he is not registered as a dem, and is an independent. He leans republican in national security issues, and dem in social issues.

if we are talking of dems on McCain's cabinet position, he does not count.

The_Dark_Knight
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
He says that the Democratic Party has abandoned the principles he believed in. I guess I am a Republican because they had good policies from 1860-1908 or so.

Parties change. The members either change with them or change parties.
So I take it then the answer is no...you DIDN'T watch Leiberman at the RNC?? Come on Wayward!! Hell I'm in Iraq and I saw it.

Why did he run as an Independent Wayward? Because he was snubbed by the same democrats who were loyal to him in 2000 as VP Gore's running mate and they abandoned him and got another democrat the states democratic nominee. He ran for public office...and since he couldn't run as a democrat...and obviously couldn't run as a republican, he ran as a democrat...and the people of Connetetcut (ooo, I slaughtered that spelling) snubbed the democratic party by sending the man THEY wanted back to Washington. He didn't change his democratic ideology. The democratic party and their partisan rancor changed the face of the party.

Tetragrammaton
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
The democratic party and their partisan rancor changed the face of the party.

That is what I said. Parties do change. It is very fluid.

And I did watch the speech.

He ran as an Independent because he lost the primary. He won the election because primaries are usually more activist, which tend to be more hardline in their ideology. Also, Republicans abandoned their candidate to support Lieberman because he was more acceptable to them than Lamont was.

He can call himself a Democrat, but it isn't really reality. I could say I am a Republican, except I disagree on all of their stances. It doesn't mesh.

Reagan was a Democrat once and left the party because he felt they had changed. From then on, people called him what he was, a Republican.

The_Dark_Knight
09-08-2008, 02:56 PM
That is what I said. Parties do change. It is very fluid.

And I did watch the speech.

He ran as an Independent because he lost the primary. He won the election because primaries are usually more activist, which tend to be more hardline in their ideology. Also, Republicans abandoned their candidate to support Lieberman because he was more acceptable to them than Lamont was.

He can call himself a Democrat, but it isn't really reality. I could say I am a Republican, except I disagree on all of their stances. It doesn't mesh.

Reagan was a Democrat once and left the party because he felt they had changed. From then on, people called him what he was, a Republican.
On that note, we're going to have to agree to disagree...even though his voting record since being elected as an Independent has been pretty consistent with democrats in the senate...we'll just agree to disagree.