PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Palin and Muslim fundamentalists? Lipstick

BAMAPHIN 22
09-09-2008, 03:08 PM
John McCain announced that he was running for president to confront the "transcendent challenge" of the 21st century, "radical Islamic extremism," contrasting it with "stability, tolerance and democracy (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/Speeches/872473dd-9ccb-4ab4-9d0d-ec54f0e7a497.htm)." But the values of his handpicked running mate, Sarah Palin, more resemble those of Muslim fundamentalists than they do those of the Founding Fathers. On censorship, the teaching of creationism in schools, reproductive rights, attributing government policy to God's will and climate change, Palin agrees with Hamas and Saudi Arabia rather than supporting tolerance and democratic precepts. What is the difference between Palin and a Muslim fundamentalist? Lipstick. (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09042008/news/nationalnews/shes_a_pit_bull_with_lipstick_127420.htm)

McCain pledged to work for peace based on "the transformative ideals on which we were founded." Tolerance and democracy require freedom of speech and the press, but while mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, Palin inquired of the local librarian how to go about banning books (http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1837918,00.html) that some of her constituents thought contained inappropriate language. She tried to fire the librarian for defying her. Book banning is common to fundamentalisms around the world, and the mind-set Palin displayed did not differ from that of the Hamas minister of education in the Palestinian government who banned a book of Palestinian folk tales for its sexually explicit language (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/hamas-orders-book-of-palestinian-folk-tales-pulled-from-schools-439025.html). In contrast, Thomas Jefferson wrote, "Our liberty cannot be guarded but by the freedom of the press, nor that be limited without danger of losing it."

Palin argued when running for governor that creationism should be taught in public schools, at taxpayers' expense, alongside real science. Antipathy to Darwin for providing an alternative to the creation stories of the Bible and the Quran has also become a feature of Muslim fundamentalism. Saudi Arabia prohibits the study, even in universities, of evolution (http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61698.htm), Freud and Marx. Malaysia has banned a translation of "The Origin of the Species (http://www.freemedia.at/cms/ipi/freedom_detail.html?country=/KW0001/KW0005/KW0123/)." Likewise, fundamentalists in Turkey have pressured the government to teach creationism in the public schools (http://www2.truman.edu/%7Eedis/writings/articles/islamic.html). McCain has praised Turkey as an anchor of democracy in the region, but Turkey's secular traditions are under severe pressure from fundamentalists in that country. McCain does them no favors by choosing a running mate who wishes to destroy the First Amendment's establishment clause, which forbids the state to give official support to any particular theology. Turkish religious activists would thereby be enabled to cite an American precedent for their own quest to put religion back at the center of Ankara's public and foreign policies.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2008/09/09/palin_fundamentalist/

MoFinz
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Jesus...at least find some rocks, and not pebbles to throw will ya?

poornate
09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
banning books is a boulder to me....

Tetragrammaton
09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Banning books is HUGE for me as well. Why would you want to keep someone from obtaining information?

poornate
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Personal anecdote... My aunt, uncle, and cousins attended an Assembly Church and used to burn books and records after church... i have a distinct recollection of my cousin calling me and telling me not to loan my aunt any music... Lo and behold she showed up with a list of cassettes that she wanted to borrow... later I found out what for...

LouPhinFan
09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I grew up in an Assembly of God Church and we never burned anything. If someone suggested it, I would have refused. Banning and burning are Nazi tactics, and should not be Christian tactics.

Blackocrates
09-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I didn't realize she was that much of a radical. Fundamentalist are a threat to this country and a threat to our personal freedoms.

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
:sidelol:

I don't know which is funnier, that this was actually published or that people actually believe it.

I don't know.

phinfan3411
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
It is honestly funny how people act when their ship is sinking, not all, but some.

ohall
09-09-2008, 04:25 PM

I don't know which is funnier, that this was actually published or that people actually believe it.

I don't know.

I am almost speechless. And anyone that knows me that is almost and impossible thing to achieve.

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I am almost speechless. And anyone that knows me that is almost and impossible thing to achieve.Someone or something shut the mighty ohall down? No say it ain't so!

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
This makes the Obama is a Muslim and a racist thing look like a Lifetime Achievement Award!

Tetragrammaton
09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
CBS News debunked the book banning rumor. It should be summarily dropped now.

Tetragrammaton
09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
This makes the Obama is a Muslim and a racist thing look like a Lifetime Achievement Award!

Hopefully we can drop those too. Bipartisanship at dropping debunked smears.

MoFinz
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Hopefully we can drop those too. Bipartisanship at dropping debunked smears.

I second that motion

Blackocrates
09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I stand corrected then, she's not as radical as I thought.

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Hopefully we can drop those too. Bipartisanship at dropping debunked smears.I would gladly drop any false propaganda that Obama or McCain was accused of, only I didn't ever make those claims. Not this poster. I try to steer clear of that stuff until it's proven out.

I am all for no more bogus threads attacking and tearing down candidates.

You got my support in that.:up:

Tetragrammaton
09-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I would gladly drop any false propaganda that Obama or McCain was accused of, only I didn't ever make those claims. Not this poster. I try to steer clear of that stuff until it's proven out.

I am all for no more bogus threads attacking and tearing down candidates.

You got my support in that.:up:

Oh, I am not saying it was you. You haven't done it from what I have seen. You are my third favorite conservative poster, after all.

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh, I am not saying it was you. You haven't done it from what I have seen. You are my third favorite conservative poster, after all.I know you didn't. And I was telling myself I should make that clear, after I hit send. I'm glad you brought it up though.

You are one of our best POFO posters. You have wisdom beyond your years, beyond some twice your age!

phinfan3411
09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I know you didn't. And I was telling myself I should make that clear, after I hit send. I'm glad you brought it up though.

You are one of our best POFO posters. You have wisdom beyond your years, beyond some twice your age!

I second that, I am older than Wayward, but I find myself wanting to follow his cool headed lead.

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Kumbaya my lord....kumbaya....

MDFINFAN
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

I don't know.

So, did she not do those things? I know she didn't have a list, but did she fire the librarian? Did she ask about banning books? So please show me those things aren't true.. The only thing I knew wasn't true was a list of books she supposive had..

Dolphan7
09-09-2008, 09:31 PM
So, did she not do those things? I know she didn't have a list, but did she fire the librarian? Did she ask about banning books? So please show me those things aren't true.. The only thing I knew wasn't true was a list of books she supposive had..You go check it out. One has already been debunked. Just give it time.

MDFINFAN
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
You go check it out. One has already been debunked. Just give it time.

I did check it out, the only thing not true was the list, everything else from what I've research happened.. I think this was the closet non bias article I could find.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/09/politics/animal/main4430259.shtml

ohall
09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Kumbaya my lord....kumbaya....

Is there an Un-"Thanks" button some where?

:)

WSE
09-10-2008, 04:50 AM
the evangelical movement is radical religion, just like Muslim fundamentalism is radical religion. That's where this comment is coming from

now, when a group uses terrorism it makes things a lot different. And when you say Muslim fundamentalism, you think terrorism, which shouldn't come to mind but does. That shouldn't be thought of in this comment. Nobody is comparing terrorism of both groups, just that both groups promote radical religion, and wants govt of their countries embracing that religion.

The_Dark_Knight
09-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Was just reading a headline on Yahoo! that Palin is being plagued by rumors and emails. I just find it deplorable that if someone doesn't know something about someone...and they WANT to know about them, start rumors and maybe something will come of it all. Kinda goes with the old adage...

"Tell someone a lie enough times, they'll believe it to be true"

ih8brady
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
the evangelical movement is radical religion, just like Muslim fundamentalism is radical religion. That's where this comment is coming from

now, when a group uses terrorism it makes things a lot different. And when you say Muslim fundamentalism, you think terrorism, which shouldn't come to mind but does. That shouldn't be thought of in this comment. Nobody is comparing terrorism of both groups, just that both groups promote radical religion, and wants govt of their countries embracing that religion.

Yes and instead of just laughing and not addressing the issue at hand, perhaps people should see what we do know about Sarah "Left Behind" Palin and her church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-RvcuY5luo