PDA

View Full Version : Obama Campaign: McCain 'Perverse'

BAMAPHIN 22
09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
McCain released an ad yesterday that criticized Barack Obama for voting yes to a comprehensive sex education program that included "age appropriate" education for kindergartners. Setting aside the dubious wisdom of the McCain/Palin ticket lecturing anyone about sex education, McCain dishonestly, and creepiliy, implied in the ad that Obama favored going the full monty with toddlers, as opposed to its real purpose: teaching them things like "bad touch" and "stranger danger."

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/09/10/obama-campaign-mccain-perverse/

Dolphan7
09-11-2008, 12:42 AM
This is one of those questions that should be asked in a POTUS debate.

Exactly what type of sex education should our schools be teaching our kindergartners?

If any at all?

Tetragrammaton
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Obviously, kids in kindergarten cannot comprehend sex education, nor should they be subjected to it. But I think that a seminar on where one shouldn't be touched is too bad. When I was in elementary school, we were never explicitly told where, but the resource officers would visit at least once a month and tell us about sexual predators, which is what Obama had originally advocated.

ohall
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/09/10/obama-campaign-mccain-perverse/

How is what you described as what Obama supported sex education?

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Telling children about inappropriate touching by adults is a good way to prevent child predators from harming children. Good on Senator Obama.

And shame on McCain for lying and twisting this to make Obama look like he is exposing children to sexuality.

ohall
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Telling children about inappropriate touching by adults is a good way to prevent child predators from harming children. Good on Senator Obama.

And shame on McCain for lying and twisting this to make Obama look like he is exposing children to sexuality.

He is if you go by what sex education actually is. What your side is saying Obama supported is not sex education.

Dolphan7
09-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Obviously, kids in kindergarten cannot comprehend sex education, nor should they be subjected to it. But I think that a seminar on where one shouldn't be touched is too bad. When I was in elementary school, we were never explicitly told where, but the resource officers would visit at least once a month and tell us about sexual predators, which is what Obama had originally advocated.I don't think that they should be exposed to anything sexual at that age unless it is by their parent.

Yes it is nice to warn them of pedophiles, but the chances of them being abused is small, where as now we have jaded the whole class.

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't think that they should be exposed to anything sexual at that age unless it is by their parent.

Yes it is nice to warn them of pedophiles, but the chances of them being abused is small, where as now we have jaded the whole class.

Child abuse is a serious and widespread crime. We're not talking of some obscure abuse, its very real and I know firsthand. Of all the cases that are reported, think of the possible amount of cases that aren't reported because pedophiles trick children into thinking it's ok or intimidate them. It's a great cause to let children know that there are adults who will help them if they are abused. Maybe I wouldn't suffer from PTSD if I wasn't afraid to tell others about being abused when I was growing up.

As for calling it sex education, I don't care if it's called decoupage class as long as children are given tools and knowledge needed to warn them and let them know what to do in case of an emergency.

ohall
09-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Child abuse is a serious and widespread crime. We're not talking of some obscure abuse, its very real and I know firsthand. Of all the cases that are reported, think of the possible amount of cases that aren't reported because pedophiles trick children into thinking it's ok or intimidate them. It's a great cause to let children know that there are adults who will help them if they are abused. Maybe I wouldn't suffer from PTSD if I wasn't afraid to tell others about being abused when I was growing up.

As for calling it sex education, I don't care if it's called decoupage class as long as children are given tools and knowledge needed to warn them and let them know what to do in case of an emergency.

I doubt they would stop at just teaching K kids about bad touching. Can you imagine the questions those kids would ask? I think it would be naive to think teaching such things to a K kid wouldn't lead to other things.

It's one thing to teach a K kid to not talk to strangers and to not get into their cars, but this is a totally different thing. Schools have no business going here. It's offensive.

When did we become Russia?

Dolphan7
09-11-2008, 01:37 AM

As for calling it sex education, I don't care if it's called decoupage class as long as children are given tools and knowledge needed to warn them and let them know what to do in case of an emergency.That is what good parenting does. It just irks me to no end how we want to dump all this stuff on our teachers and our schools when it is the parents job to teach their kids about values and morals and sex.

I don't mean to minimize the issue, I know it exists. It is a problem in our society.

But for the love of God how much more are we going to take away from the parent and dump on the schools.

Might as well just have the government raise them...Oh wait....Oh that's right Hillary isn't running! Whew!

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 01:52 AM
So what precautions should schools take for preventing abuse? Anything?

Dolphan7
09-11-2008, 02:06 AM
So what precautions should schools take for preventing abuse? Anything?Vigilance. Keep their eyes and ears open. Watch the kids, and the parents. Look for signs of abuse. Report it. That is what good citizens should do, and what good communities do.

I don't think you taint every child. Believe it or not most kids grow up without any abuse at all.

I don't think you start talking to a child about things they have no idea about. Like Ohall says -it will just lead to more questions and more questions and then soon it isn't what it was intended for.

ohall
09-11-2008, 02:10 AM
So what precautions should schools take for preventing abuse? Anything?

It's not the schools place IMO to teach K kids this subject. They have parents it's their job.

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 02:21 AM
So. Should schools also not warn about bullying, crossing the street, or strangers luring them with candy?

And as for parents, look around. A lot of parents nowadays suck, so what about children who are born to parents too dumb or wimpy to address important issues?

Dolphan7
09-11-2008, 02:38 AM
So. Should schools also not warn about bullying, crossing the street, or strangers luring them with candy?

And as for parents, look around. A lot of parents nowadays suck, so what about children who are born to parents too dumb or wimpy to address important issues?Those are things schools can and do teach very well. Nothing sexual about those things.

I know that there are a lot of not so good parents. Are you advocating we abdicate their responsibilities? Sad as it may sound but isn't it your right to be a bad parent if you so choose, barring anything illegal of course.

I mean where do you want to draw the line here "Big Brother" ?

Instead of trying to force the schools to take over for poor parenting, maybe the goal should be to help parents learn how to be parents.

I don't know. Just a thought.

ohall
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM

And as for parents, look around. A lot of parents nowadays suck, so what about children who are born to parents too dumb or wimpy to address important issues?

I can't even believe you typed that!

lol

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't even believe you typed that!

lol

Well, those are all lessons good parents teach their children anyways, so why should the school teach them?

My point is that a government has a responsibility to take preventive measures against vulenrable children from being abused. I hate government and I hate big government even more, but for the time being it is a necessity as are it's responsibilities.

And back to the original point, this is a L-I-E told by McCain that Obama is replacing Dr. Suess with the Karma Sutra.

ohall
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, those are all lessons good parents teach their children anyways, so why should the school teach them?

My point is that a government has a responsibility to take preventive measures against vulenrable children from being abused. I hate government and I hate big government even more, but for the time being it is a necessity as are it's responsibilities.

And back to the original point, this is a L-I-E told by McCain that Obama is replacing Dr. Suess with the Karma Sutra.

McCain didn't tell any lie. Obama supports sex education for K kids. By your very definition it is sex education. I tried to give you an out on this but you wouldn't take it. I don't think what some describe as what Obama supports is really sex education.

I'd like to have more answers as to what he really supports. If they are going to describe body parts and body functions then that is sex education and is very inappropriate for a K kid. If they describe something like no one at school should touch you in certain places and this is who to go to if this happens then I think that may be appropriate.

FinFatale
09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
McCain didn't tell any lie. Obama supports sex education for K kids. By your very definition it is sex education. I tried to give you an out on this but you wouldn't take it. I don't think what some describe as what Obama supports is really sex education.

I'd like to have more answers as to what he really supports. If they are going to describe body parts and body functions then that is sex education and is very inappropriate for a K kid. If they describe something like no one at school should touch you in certain places and this is who to go to if this happens then I think that may be appropriate.

This is a very delicate and difficult subject because you can't be definite in how any child will react.......some may have issues of abuse and some may want to know WHY?????????????TOUCH ME HOW??????????
but to leave it up soley to a parent, guardian........how dangerous is that............you could be sending the child back to the abuser........and that abuser sure as heck isn't going to make that child feel anything but shame....then suddenly an innocent child is carrying around a huge " secret" that the longer it burdens him, feeling he has no one to go trust his secret with, the longer it will burden him.........
it's a difficult call for sure.............infact my personal jury is still out on this one.............

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM
This is a very delicate and difficult subject because you can't be definite in how any child will react.......some may have issues of abuse and some may want to know WHY?????????????TOUCH ME HOW??????????
but to leave it up soley to a parent, guardian........how dangerous is that............you could be sending the child back to the abuser........and that abuser sure as heck isn't going to make that child feel anything but shame....then suddenly an innocent child is carrying around a huge " secret" that the longer it burdens him, feeling he has no one to go trust his secret with, the longer it will burden him.........
it's a difficult call for sure.............infact my personal jury is still out on this one.............

Very good point. Abusers are often personal figures of authority (parent, older sibling, neighbor, priest, etc.) and it is irresponsible to ignore this sad fact.