PDA

View Full Version : Paul rejects McCain's plea for endorsement

Mr772
09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
This isn't going to really have much of an impact on the election but I know there are some Ron Paul fans around here.

WASHINGTON – Libertarian-leaning congressman Ron Paul said he has rejected John McCain's appeal for his endorsement.
At a news conference Wednesday, Paul said he received a surprise call from McCain's campaign on Tuesday asking for his endorsement. Paul, a Republican who abandoned his White House bid earlier this year, turned them down.
“The idea was that he would do less harm than the other candidate,” Paul said.
Paul won no primaries in the GOP nomination contest but developed a strong following on the Internet. He appeared at a news conference with third-party candidates, including Ralph Nader and former Rep. Cynthia McKinney, D-Ga. Paul suggested backing the non-major party candidates.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20080910-0940-2008racerundown.html

Tetragrammaton
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM
It wouldn't make sense for him to endorse McCain. He disagrees with him on many issues.

BlueFin
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I would vote Ron Paul in a heartbeat, but he can't win. So the only way to prevent having the most liberal Senator in Congress become president is too vote McCain, its that simple really.

More people should register independent or Libertarian, or whatever party they believe in, then we might start seeing more open elections and debates, and better candidates.

I am registered Libertarian, and will remain so, hoping that many others will join one day. But I doubt it will happen, there are too many in this country that want government to take care of them. Which as we know, never works. Eventually when everybody is suckling off the government nipple, there is nobody left to pay any taxes and the whole thing collapses.(See the USSR).

phinfan3411
09-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I love Ron Paul, and I wouldn't expect him to back McCain.

ih8brady
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
McCain's love for militarism, war and carnage is the antithesis of Congressman Paul and anyone else who believes in small government. Heck, Paul called this new brand of conservatism "soft fascism."

Mr772
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I would vote Ron Paul in a heartbeat, but he can't win. So the only way to prevent having the most liberal Senator in Congress become president is too vote McCain, its that simple really.

More people should register independent or Libertarian, or whatever party they believe in, then we might start seeing more open elections and debates, and better candidates.

I am registered Libertarian, and will remain so, hoping that many others will join one day. But I doubt it will happen, there are too many in this country that want government to take care of them. Which as we know, never works. Eventually when everybody is suckling off the government nipple, there is nobody left to pay any taxes and the whole thing collapses.(See the USSR).

Maybe one day we can vote for something other than Blue or Red and not feel like we are wasting our precious vote on someone who has no chance.

This isn't mean to be a pointed comment but it's funny how people can support someone's ideology and vote for someone who shares none of those ideas.

Dolphins9954
09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Here is the video of the press conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ7fcbst3VE

Here is a CNN interview with Paul and Nader together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J3-YoVPckk

Paul rejected both Mccain and Obama. And endorsed all third party candidates. He wants to get all the third party candidates to join together to make a new party. That will challenge the two party system. Great idea. I hope it works. Maybe in 2012 we could have someone that's worth voting for.

Dolphins9954
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
This would be the New Third Party platform. All third party candidates agreed to this and signed on. Check it out.

The Republican/Democrat duopoly has, for far too long, ignored the most important issues facing our nation. However, alternate candidates Chuck Baldwin, Cynthia McKinney, and Ralph Nader agree with Ron Paul on four key principles central to the health of our nation. These principles should be key in the considerations of every voter this November and in every election.

We Agree
Foreign Policy: The Iraq War must end as quickly as possible with removal of all our soldiers from the region. We must initiate the return of our soldiers from around the world, including Korea, Japan, Europe and the entire Middle East. We must cease the war propaganda, threats of a blockade and plans for attacks on Iran, nor should we re-ignite the cold war with Russia over Georgia. We must be willing to talk to all countries and offer friendship and trade and travel to all who are willing. We must take off the table the threat of a nuclear first strike against all nations.
Privacy: We must protect the privacy and civil liberties of all persons under US jurisdiction. We must repeal or radically change the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act, and the FISA legislation. We must reject the notion and practice of torture, eliminations of habeas corpus, secret tribunals, and secret prisons. We must deny immunity for corporations that spy willingly on the people for the benefit of the government. We must reject the unitary presidency, the illegal use of signing statements and excessive use of executive orders.
The National Debt: We believe that there should be no increase in the national debt. The burden of debt placed on the next generation is unjust and already threatening our economy and the value of our dollar. We must pay our bills as we go along and not unfairly place this burden on a future generation.
The Federal Reserve: We seek a thorough investigation, evaluation and audit of the Federal Reserve System and its cozy relationships with the banking, corporate, and other financial institutions. The arbitrary power to create money and credit out of thin air behind closed doors for the benefit of commercial interests must be ended. There should be no taxpayer bailouts of corporations and no corporate subsidies. Corporations should be aggressively prosecuted for their crimes and frauds.

Sounds good to me.

phinfan3411
09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Maybe one day we can vote for something other than Blue or Red and not feel like we are wasting our precious vote on someone who has no chance.

This isn't mean to be a pointed comment but it's funny how people can support someone's ideology and vote for someone who shares none of those ideas.

I vote for the best (imo) that I am presented with. I do not agree with the rules the way they are. I hate this two party system, and I believe, with the way it is set up, it does not give guys like Paul a chance. I believe Paul would garner much support from independents, but in my state, and i'm sure many others, you can't even vote in a primary if your an independent, so I register as a republican.

In the primary, hands down imo Paul was the best, this time around, we have much less to choose from, yes McCain /Palin is a far stretch from Paul, but Obama/Biden is even further away.

I was not excited about McCain prior to him picking a vp, I honestly was not even sure I was going to vote believe it or not, I was so upset with my choices.

Palin got me interested again, and with the character assasination in progress, you could not in your wildest dreams keep me away from that voting booth in our town library.

MDFINFAN
09-12-2008, 12:42 AM
I vote for the best (imo) that I am presented with. I do not agree with the rules the way they are. I hate this two party system, and I believe, with the way it is set up, it does not give guys like Paul a chance. I believe Paul would garner much support from independents, but in my state, and i'm sure many others, you can't even vote in a primary if your an independent, so I register as a republican.

In the primary, hands down imo Paul was the best, this time around, we have much less to choose from, yes McCain /Palin is a far stretch from Paul, but Obama/Biden is even further away.

I was not excited about McCain prior to him picking a vp, I honestly was not even sure I was going to vote believe it or not, I was so upset with my choices.

Palin got me interested again, and with the character assasination in progress, you could not in your wildest dreams keep me away from that voting booth in our town library.

it's funny that palin character assasination excites you to the booth, but the character assasination of Obama you ate up....funny how things go that way...with obama, it's about everyone he knows, even though he's done nothing in terms of any of the ppl idealogy in his 8 years in chicago or as US senator.. He's been a model citizen, and yet we make judgement from none of his polices, but from ppl he knows... wow... now we see that palin isn't the maverick that the repubs set her up to be, and that interview today should say it all.. this lady in her own interview showed she knew nothing and was well rehearsh on the buzz words..and this is what we want, and that's not character assasination.. but honestly what can she be criticized about, the repubs have set the media up and again you guys go for it...this is exactly would the repubs were setting up before the convention and during the convention and afterward, a shield and you guys are eating it up and not even asking questions about her qualifications yourselves...think about it.. Is this lady ready to be president and why...

BlueFin
09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
I love Ron Paul, and I wouldn't expect him to back McCain.

No, and you can rest assured he won't back Obama either.

poornate
09-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I am endlessly amused by these "two-party" conversations.... It is all a myth that the two party system is a polar whitewash of similarly idealized partisan politicians... The two parties just exist so that people who do not bother to educate themselves can have an umbrella idea of what someone under a label normally stands for on certain key issues... Within either party there is a rainbow of differing opinions... we really just elect independents in this nation anyway, who mostly choose to stand under a red or blue flag... Libertarian ideals exist within both parties... Green party ideas live in both parties... You elect individuals... that's it...

Dolphins9954
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I am endlessly amused by these "two-party" conversations.... It is all a myth that the two party system is a polar whitewash of similarly idealized partisan politicians... The two parties just exist so that people who do not bother to educate themselves can have an umbrella idea of what someone under a label normally stands for on certain key issues... Within either party there is a rainbow of differing opinions... we really just elect independents in this nation anyway, who mostly choose to stand under a red or blue flag... Libertarian ideals exist within both parties... Green party ideas live in both parties... You elect individuals... that's it...

I would have to disagree 100%.

Which party is against Big government?
Which party is for less taxes and spending?
Which party is against debt?
Which party is against the war in Iraq?
Which party is against the Patriot Act and FISA?
Which party is against war with Iran?
Which party is Anti-War?
Which party believes in the Constitution?
Which party is against the war on drugs?
Which party is against the IRS?
Which party is against the Federal Reserve?
Which party will end the current fiscal and monetary crisis we are in?
Which party would restore and defend our liberties?

The fact remains that the two-party system does not represent all the people. What we have are two parties that are the same. And controlled by the same special interests and business ties. Americans are fooled into believe that they have a choice in the matter. That there really is a difference between the two parties. The result will be the same. More Big Government. More Debt. More loss of Liberty. Until we get a true independent and not a stromtrooper dressed up like a rebel. Or a strong third party and candidate. Things will not change at all. It would only get worse.

poornate
09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I would have to disagree 100%.

Which party is against Big government?
Which party is for less taxes and spending?
Which party is against debt?
Which party is against the war in Iraq?
Which party is against the Patriot Act and FISA?
Which party is against war with Iran?
Which party is Anti-War?
Which party believes in the Constitution?
Which party is against the war on drugs?
Which party is against the IRS?
Which party is against the Federal Reserve?
Which party will end the current fiscal and monetary crisis we are in?
Which party would restore and defend our liberties?

Well... that sounds like Ron Paul's stump speech... he ran for the presidential nomination this year, but didn't appeal to enough people. He's a Republican... he represents one of many various views found within the party labels... you should check him out... :up:

Dolphins9954
09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Well... that sounds like Ron Paul's stump speech... he ran for the presidential nomination this year, but didn't appeal to enough people. He's a Republican... he represents one of many various views found within the party labels... you should check him out... :up:

So in other words. The answer is "No Party". I knew you would refuse to answer.

Paul is gathering all third party candidates to create a third party with a platform that is different than the two parties. All signed on and agreed. Here it is.

We Agree

Foreign Policy: The Iraq War must end as quickly as possible with removal of all our soldiers from the region. We must initiate the return of our soldiers from around the world, including Korea, Japan, Europe and the entire Middle East. We must cease the war propaganda, threats of a blockade and plans for attacks on Iran, nor should we re-ignite the cold war with Russia over Georgia. We must be willing to talk to all countries and offer friendship and trade and travel to all who are willing. We must take off the table the threat of a nuclear first strike against all nations.
Privacy: We must protect the privacy and civil liberties of all persons under US jurisdiction. We must repeal or radically change the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act, and the FISA legislation. We must reject the notion and practice of torture, eliminations of habeas corpus, secret tribunals, and secret prisons. We must deny immunity for corporations that spy willingly on the people for the benefit of the government. We must reject the unitary presidency, the illegal use of signing statements and excessive use of executive orders.
The National Debt: We believe that there should be no increase in the national debt. The burden of debt placed on the next generation is unjust and already threatening our economy and the value of our dollar. We must pay our bills as we go along and not unfairly place this burden on a future generation.
The Federal Reserve: We seek a thorough investigation, evaluation and audit of the Federal Reserve System and its cozy relationships with the banking, corporate, and other financial institutions. The arbitrary power to create money and credit out of thin air behind closed doors for the benefit of commercial interests must be ended. There should be no taxpayer bailouts of corporations and no corporate subsidies. Corporations should be aggressively prosecuted for their crimes and frauds

As you see neither party is offering this to the American people. This represents true change and independence. Something you won't get with the two parties. I will guarantee you that come 2012. We will have a strong thrid party and candidate. To bad it's not know. But after Obama or Mccain wreck this country more than it is now. Many Americans will look for true change. Ron Paul along with the help of Nader and the rest of third party candidates will offer the American people a real choice and difference from the two party system. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. And I'm proud to say that. Because both parties have destroyed our nation. One day we will have a choice.

poornate
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
So in other words. The answer is "No Party". I knew you would refuse to answer.

As you see neither party is offering this to the American people. This represents true change and independence. Something you won't get with the two parties. I will guarantee you that come 2012. We will have a strong thrid party and candidate. To bad it's not know. But after Obama or Mccain wreck this country more than it is now. Many Americans will look for true change. Ron Paul along with the help of Nader and the rest of third party candidates will offer the American people a real choice and difference from the two party system. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. And I'm proud to say that. Because both parties have destroyed our nation. One day we will have a choice.

Really? Really 9954... cuz it seems to me that our nation was built under a political system developed during the "run" of these two parties... Our nation wasn't really a NATION until after the Civil war... Maybe if Nader and Paul join up the threat of all of the liberals coming in will drive off some of the more unsavory elements that have been attracted to Paul's campaign (and, no, i definitely am not referring to you before the thought police pop in)...

I wish you well in your quest... just don't bank on changing a pretty entrenched system.... Remember, the Republicans always have Paul... you should look into him... I mean I know you said you have no party, but it sounds like there are some politicians who work in the system that match up pretty close to your beliefs...

Dolphins9954
09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Really? Really 9954... cuz it seems to me that our nation was built under a political system developed during the "run" of these two parties... Our nation wasn't really a NATION until after the Civil war... Maybe if Nader and Paul join up the threat of all of the liberals coming in will drive off some of the more unsavory elements that have been attracted to Paul's campaign (and, no, i definitely am not referring to you before the thought police pop in)...

I wish you well in your quest... just don't bank on changing a pretty entrenched system.... Remember, the Republicans always have Paul... you should look into him... I mean I know you said you have no party, but it sounds like there are some politicians who work in the system that match up pretty close to your beliefs...

Ron Paul and Dennis Kuncinich match up pretty well to my beliefs. But you see how their parties treat them. They are cast out and marginalized. And aren't given any voice or power. The two parties make sure no one screws up the status quo. But now with Paul and Nader along with the other third party candidates. We will have a new voice and new representation. Their platform is orginal and unique. No party is offering what they are. A poll came out recently saying that 60% of the American people aren't happy with the current candidates and want a third party. After Obama or Mccain. Look for that number to grow.

poornate
09-12-2008, 06:25 PM
...so what you are saying is that there, between Kucinich and Paul, is a spectrum of beliefs? That comes to a point where the Conservative and liberal ideals begin to meet.... hhmmm.... weird... almost as if there were already a lot of views from center... in both directions...

BTW... they are marginalized because they believe and operate in the margin... that isn't hard to see...

Dolphins9954
09-12-2008, 06:39 PM
...so what you are saying is that there, between Kucinich and Paul, is a spectrum of beliefs? That comes to a point where the Conservative and liberal ideals begin to meet.... hhmmm.... weird... almost as if there were already a lot of views from center... in both directions...

BTW... they are marginalized because they believe and operate in the margin... that isn't hard to see...

We Agree

The Federal Reserve: We seek a thorough investigation, evaluation and audit of the Federal Reserve System and its cozy relationships with the banking, corporate, and other financial institutions. The arbitrary power to create money and credit out of thin air behind closed doors for the benefit of commercial interests must be ended. There should be no taxpayer bailouts of corporations and no corporate subsidies. Corporations should be aggressively prosecuted for their crimes and frauds

Both of them agree on this. And so do the third party candidates. It's not weird at all. What's weird is a two party system that doesn't agree or offer this platform. Which is why 60% of Americans are not happy with the current candidates. Which is why we need a new party. Because regardless of your faith in the two parties. The American people are not represented when none of the parties offer a difference or choice. Both parties are the same. How is that representation?

ih8brady
09-12-2008, 09:13 PM

So you are so excited by Palin, but originally like Paul? I mean it doesn't get any more big government or irresponsible than endless wars directed by God all the while eliminating taxes for plutocrats.

Is this a case where you just like her "personality" and that's what got you excited?

Dolphins9954
09-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Here is a statement from Nader about Ron Paul and organizing a third party.

Today, along with other third party candidates, I joined Congressman Ron Paul to endorse a common agenda (http://www.votenader.org/weagree/) that stands up for the US Constitution by ending illegal wars, and protecting the privacy and civil liberties of all persons under US jurisdiction. We also jointly called for an immediate halt to the increase in the national debt, an end to corporate subsidies and taxpayer bailouts of corporations, and to start aggressively pursuing prosecution of corporations that commit crimes and frauds.

Both Congressman Paul and I also support holding President Bush and Dick Cheney to account for their transgressions against our Constitution.

Today's coming together of third party candidates marks the beginning of the realignment of American politics.

While Congressman Paul and I do not agree on all things -- such as health and safety regulations and health insurance systems and how to handle areas where the market fails or is not up to the task of getting the best outcomes for the American people -- on the overriding foreign policy, reckless waste financed by deficit spending, and civil liberties issues of the day, we stand together. He is a stalwart who has consistently stood up for what he believes in and never wavered when he is opposed by the legions of commercial interests and lobbyists that swarm the Capitol.

Congressman Paul said today, "the strongest message can be sent by rejecting the two-party system, which in reality is a one-party system with no possible chance for the changes to occur which are necessary to solve our economic and foreign policy problems." He also called on his supporters to vote for Nader/Gonzalez or one of the other non-establishment, principled candidates, who support the joint statement issued today.

For all the millions of people who have broken free from the establishment parties' domination over our dwindling democracy, Nader/Gonzalez presents a clear choice for those who want to support a candidate who will stand up against the war and stand up for personal liberties and privacy that have been trampled on by the notorious, misnamed, PATRIOT Act, the FISA 'snoop' Bill, and the unilateral dictates of the Bush/Cheney regime.

Some unfairly paint the Nader/Gonzalez candidacy as being for big government. Nothing could be more untrue.
Nader/Gonzalez supports a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We agree with Congressman Paul that government is rife with waste and corporate demands, and needs to be scaled back in many areas -- most of all the bloated, wasteful US military budget, which is half of the government's total operating budget.

We are also against big government doling out hundreds of billions in corporate welfare, subsidies, and bailouts to companies.

We support abolishing income tax on the first $50,000 of income to be made up with a fraction of a percent Wall Street speculation tax, especially on derivatives.

http://www.votenader.org/blog/2008/09/10/statement-to-ron-paul-supporters/

This is a start to something big. Between Paul, Nader and all other third party candidates. We could have a third party that will have any where from a 15% to 20% voting base. This would be a great start and foundation to have a strong viable third party in our nation. And we could have a strong candidate for 2012. To bad it's not for this election. But finally Americans will have a opposition party. That will offer a clear difference and choice from the two-party system. A party that believes in the Constitution. Our rights and liberties. Against war. A party that is against Big Government and Debt. And against the Federal Reserve. That is something that the two-party system does not offer us. It's about time a party did.

MDFINFAN
09-13-2008, 11:39 AM
What I feel parties do effectively is frame issues and make them the central themes to us and WE buy it. Red and Blue works because we the ppl don't think outside the box and we follow..rules are workable if their enforceable..who's the force behind our rules, we the ppl are..our elected leaders can only make rules we stand behind..and the way they get away with rules is we don't question it forcefully enough, we don't hold them accountable, so they basically do what they want, thus we have a 2 party system, that we don't always agree with.. but ppl lash on to a party and support it no matter what, even chosing a canidate and sticking with them when we all know that person isn't the best for our country..we close our eyes and go with it...Ron Paul is a good mix of Obama and McCain is a small way, where he has both their ideas in him, that's why he was so appealing to me.. I don't think McCain or Obama are far from him, but neither encompass all of him, because they still deal with party politics too much.. If both broke from their parties and adopted his platform we'd be better off.

Dolphins9954
09-13-2008, 02:48 PM
What I feel parties do effectively is frame issues and make them the central themes to us and WE buy it. Red and Blue works because we the ppl don't think outside the box and we follow..rules are workable if their enforceable..who's the force behind our rules, we the ppl are..our elected leaders can only make rules we stand behind..and the way they get away with rules is we don't question it forcefully enough, we don't hold them accountable, so they basically do what they want, thus we have a 2 party system, that we don't always agree with.. but ppl lash on to a party and support it no matter what, even chosing a canidate and sticking with them when we all know that person isn't the best for our country..we close our eyes and go with it...Ron Paul is a good mix of Obama and McCain is a small way, where he has both their ideas in him, that's why he was so appealing to me.. I don't think McCain or Obama are far from him, but neither encompass all of him, because they still deal with party politics too much.. If both broke from their parties and adopted his platform we'd be better off.

Which is why a third party or a truly independent candidate is the best chance we have. Because both parties are not offering solutions at all. Only more Big Government and Debt. We really need dramatic change in this country. To overcome the disaster that is coming. The two parties have failed us. The government has failed us. True change will not come for the Dems or the GOP. Smoke and mirrors is what they got.