PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek: GOP is working to keep eligible African-Americans from voting in several st

finataxia24
09-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Jim Crawford’ Republicans

The GOP is working to keep eligible African-Americans from voting in several states.
Jonathan Alter
Newsweek Web Exclusive
Updated: 2:37 PM ET Sep 11, 2008

It was a mainstay of Jim Crow segregation: for 100 years after the Civil War, Southern white Democrats kept eligible blacks from voting with poll taxes, literacy tests and property requirements. Starting in the 1960s, the U.S. Supreme Court declared these assaults on the heart of American democracy unconstitutional.

Now, with the help of a 2008 Supreme Court decision, Crawford vs. Marion County (Indiana) Election Board, white Republicans in some areas will keep eligible blacks from voting by requiring driver's licenses. Not only is this new-fangled discrimination constitutional, it's spreading.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/158392/output/print (http://www.newsweek.com/id/158392/output/print)

MoFinz
09-12-2008, 03:41 PM

The GOP is working to keep eligible African-Americans from voting in several states.
Jonathan Alter
Newsweek Web Exclusive

It was a mainstay of Jim Crow segregation: for 100 years after the Civil War, Southern white Democrats kept eligible blacks from voting with poll taxes, literacy tests and property requirements. Starting in the 1960s, the U.S. Supreme Court declared these assaults on the heart of American democracy unconstitutional.

Now, with the help of a 2008 Supreme Court decision, Crawford vs. Marion County (Indiana) Election Board, white Republicans in some areas will keep eligible blacks from voting by requiring driver's licenses. Not only is this new-fangled discrimination constitutional, it's spreading.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/158392/output/print (http://www.newsweek.com/id/158392/output/print)

I don't understand how this is an issue....when i vote, i have to show them my ID.....it's common sense, it prevents fraud....oh, wait....where is Obama from again?

Nevermind...makes sense now:rolleyes:

jerseyphin
09-12-2008, 03:43 PM
wow they actually have to know its you before you can vote what communism

poornate
09-12-2008, 03:46 PM
... it is a poll tax.... you have to invest to vote and it is wrong... There are other ways that it can be done that are not wrong... Registration could supply a voter ID... Simple...

MoFinz
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
... it is a poll tax.... you have to invest to vote and it is wrong... There are other ways that it can be done that are not wrong... Registration could supply a voter ID... Simple...

Can you go in a bank and cash a check without ID? Can you do much of anything legally without ID?

ID's are not expensive, and for all the grandstanding about how many voters theyve registered, you can register for free at DMV, who supply....ID cards...i just cant see this being a huge issue, because much like the people who knew Katrina was coming for a week, if you know somethings coming in advance, it cant be somebody elses fault if you fail to prepare

poornate
09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Can you go in a bank and cash a check without ID? Can you do much of anything legally without ID?

ID's are not expensive, and for all the grandstanding about how many voters theyve registered, you can register for free at DMV, who supply....ID cards...i just cant see this being a huge issue, because much like the people who knew Katrina was coming for a week, if you know somethings coming in advance, it cant be somebody elses fault if you fail to prepare

It affects the elderly as well... It is the point of having to pay... I was in the DMV with my two year old and one year old for FOUR hours on Wednesday just to get a copy of my drivers license....

MoFinz
09-12-2008, 04:16 PM
It affects the elderly as well... It is the point of having to pay... I was in the DMV with my two year old and one year old for FOUR hours on Wednesday just to get a copy of my drivers license....

My point is made. If you can go, with 2 kids, and wait, whats to say everyone cant? Wouldnt the same elderly person have to venture out to vote as well?

poornate
09-12-2008, 04:19 PM
My point is made. If you can go, with 2 kids, and wait, whats to say everyone cant? Wouldnt the same elderly person have to venture out to vote as well?

The point is not that it is over arduous, it is just that it is wrong... This isn't a political belief really, it is just a belief... It affects the elderly, who are more conservative, as well... Why can't registration provide an ID...?

MoFinz
09-12-2008, 04:24 PM
The point is not that it is over arduous, it is just that it is wrong... This isn't a political belief really, it is just a belief... It affects the elderly, who are more conservative, as well... Why can't registration provide an ID...?

quite simply...how would they validate the person to whom they are giving the ID? I know you believe in this, but i believe the opportunity for fraud with no ID far outweighs the opportunity to "disenfranchise" the black and the elderly.

poornate
09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
quite simply...how would they validate the person to whom they are giving the ID? I know you believe in this, but i believe the opportunity for fraud with no ID far outweighs the opportunity to "disenfranchise" the black and the elderly.

Fraud may still be an issue, but I don't really think it affects national politics...

Verification... verification... don't know... I guess it has to be thought about... picture with your voter registration is required?

MoFinz
09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Fraud may still be an issue, but I don't really think it affects national politics...

Verification... verification... don't know... I guess it has to be thought about... picture with your voter registration is required?

Fraud doesn't affect national politics? Check out the Daly's and Chicago politics.

And for a drivers license or ID in Va., you have to present 2 valid forms of ID. Dont have to be picture, but does have to be a utility bill and or another valid ID, like SS card or passport.

WISfinfan13
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I love how the heading makes the GOP sound like racists....

poornate
09-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Fraud doesn't affect national politics? Check out the Daly's and Chicago politics.

And for a drivers license or ID in Va., you have to present 2 valid forms of ID. Dont have to be picture, but does have to be a utility bill and or another valid ID, like SS card or passport.

It's no problem for me personally... without sounding like a hippie or something, as with all things, i am trying to think of others...

ih8brady
09-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Any surprise from the candidate who didn't think MLK Jr. deserved his holiday?

poornate
09-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Well, there is always that, uh, ugly little factoid...

MDFINFAN
09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
They're doing more than this, in this area, we had repub pose as early voter guys, have ppl vote and disgard the vote....there will be a lot of voter fraud this election, we can be assure of that, I'm use a lot of americans won't have their votes count...this particular subject we've discussed before.

MDFINFAN
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't understand how this is an issue....when i vote, i have to show them my ID.....it's common sense, it prevents fraud....oh, wait....where is Obama from again?

Nevermind...makes sense now:rolleyes:

Oh wait, this isn't just a ID question, it's saying you have to have a DRIVER's license, that's a little different from having a ID card don't you think.

Oh, wait, ...where is McCain from again..

Nevermind...it seem to always make sense when you close your eyes..:rolleyes2:

Eshlemon
09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
There was a thread earlier about Indian's <<:lol:Edit:should be Indiana's>>voter ID and believed African-Amercian discrimination.

I say again, this is a smokescreen to who is really being targeted, old Catholic nun anti-abortionists.

WASHINGTON – At least 10 retired nuns in South Bend, Ind., were barred from voting in Tuesday's Indiana Democratic primary election because they lacked photo IDs required under a state law that the U.S. Supreme Court upheld last week.

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/918857.html

phinfan3411
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I believe you should have to have some type of official picture ID to vote. The fact that this turns into a racial issue reaffirms(sp?) my thoughts on how ridiculous it has become nowadays.

woody1351
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
everytime ive gone to vote ive had to have my ID with me.

MoFinz
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh wait, this isn't just a ID question, it's saying you have to have a DRIVER's license, that's a little different from having a ID card don't you think.

Oh, wait, ...where is McCain from again..

Nevermind...it seem to always make sense when you close your eyes..:rolleyes2:

In Crawford, the court upheld an Indiana law essentially requiring a passport or driver's license in order to vote. But more than two thirds of Indiana adults have no passports and nearly 15 percent have no driver's licenses. These eligible voters, disproportionately African-American, will need to take a bus or catch a ride from a friend down to the motor vehicles bureau to make sure they obtain a nondriver photo ID. Otherwise, they cannot vote in Indiana this year.

R.I.F my friend:rolleyes:

MDFINFAN
09-12-2008, 10:35 PM
In Crawford, the court upheld an Indiana law essentially requiring a passport or driver's license in order to vote. But more than two thirds of Indiana adults have no passports and nearly 15 percent have no driver's licenses. These eligible voters, disproportionately African-American, will need to take a bus or catch a ride from a friend down to the motor vehicles bureau to make sure they obtain a nondriver photo ID. Otherwise, they cannot vote in Indiana this year.

R.I.F my friend:rolleyes:

Based on what you just stated, a ID will not do it, they will have to get a driver's license or passport, a ID card is completely different..so why get a ID card when the requirement is a DRIVER'S LICENSE OR PASSPORT. I thought the basic idea behind voting is to prove who you are.. a birth certificate with a city issue ID should do that..why make someone get a driver's license when they're not driving.. Just let the city verify who the ppl are..or the state in which they live.. I'm not really against anything here, except using tactics to stop someone from voting, if they can show these ppl aren't american citizens, then find...but if they're clearly american citizens, I have a problem with anyone trying to stop them from voting..

milldog
09-12-2008, 10:42 PM
If you pay taxes, you should be able to vote....period! Why not accept your property tax statement. Another ploy to shut people up!

Dolphan7
09-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Jonathan Alter
Newsweek Web Exclusive

What a hit job this article is. Making such strong accusations with no proof whatsoever.

The issue isn't to prevent people from voting, it is to prevent voter fraud.

Some people, as this writer does, want to make this about race. It has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with identifying who you are when you vote.

Dolphan7
09-12-2008, 10:54 PM
If you pay taxes, you should be able to vote....period! Why not accept your property tax statement. Another ploy to shut people up!My guess is the same people who don't have ID's, probably don't own property.

MoFinz
09-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Based on what you just stated, a ID will not do it, they will have to get a driver's license or passport, a ID card is completely different..so why get a ID card when the requirement is a DRIVER'S LICENSE OR PASSPORT. I thought the basic idea behind voting is to prove who you are.. a birth certificate with a city issue ID should do that..why make someone get a driver's license when they're not driving.. Just let the city verify who the ppl are..or the state in which they live.. I'm not really against anything here, except using tactics to stop someone from voting, if they can show these ppl aren't american citizens, then find...but if they're clearly american citizens, I have a problem with anyone trying to stop them from voting..

Read it again friend. The WRITER stated the voters had to have an id, when the law clearly states a state issued id will work.

You're getting hung up on semantics the author introduced as fact which wasn't a fact at all. The fact is, with proper id, anyone can get a state issued id card if they are ineligible for a drivers license. And the state id card is what the banks and state agencies use for validating their customers identity.

I really can't believe you don't get that:rolleyes:

MDFINFAN
09-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Read it again friend. The WRITER stated the voters had to have an id, when the law clearly states a state issued id will work.

You're getting hung up on semantics the author introduced as fact which wasn't a fact at all. The fact is, with proper id, anyone can get a state issued id card if they are ineligible for a drivers license. And the state id card is what the banks and state agencies use for validating their customers identity.

I really can't believe you don't get that:rolleyes:

Reread my post, I think you missed my point, I was reading and responding to your post..I said I didn't have a problem, if you indicated a non driver Id, I missed that and sincerely apologized.. I agree with you...my name is mdfinfan and I approve this message..:lol:

Now you last statement wasn't necessary, if I didn't see the non driver id, I think that was enough..don't you..:up:

ohall
09-13-2008, 01:09 AM

Not for the reasons you are implying.

MDFINFAN
09-13-2008, 01:17 AM
My guess is the same people who don't have ID's, probably don't own property.

:sidelol::sidelol: that's tough one to argue with..:up:

ih8brady
09-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Not for the reasons you are implying.

I'd love to know why the greatest American citizen in our hirstory doesn't deserve recognition.

This ought to be good...

MoFinz
09-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I'd love to know why the greatest American citizen in our hirstory doesn't deserve recognition.

This ought to be good...

Who doesn't recognize the greatness that is Don Shula? Blasphemers

ohall
09-13-2008, 10:23 PM

This ought to be good...

From what I understand he took one if his pork stances on the bill.

What ppl like you forget however, I mean you IND thinkers, is that he has apologized and said he was wrong. He said he should not have played that game with that holiday.

But you and the other IND thinkers can imply he's racist all day long. It's funny to watch.

Dr. Phin
09-14-2008, 04:47 AM
I love how the heading makes the GOP sound like racists....

I believe that is the whole intent...regardless of the person's "oh we just don't want to disenfranchise anyone" load of horse manure...

Dr. Phin
09-14-2008, 04:57 AM

This ought to be good...

MLK being the greatest is your opinion...which is wrong of course...but your entitled to it...

Washington was the greatest IMO...there wouldn't be a country without him...

Should MLK have a holiday...NO...but don't expect a debate. No sense arguing over something which is already done, and that really isn't a big deal anyway...