PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

ABrownLamp
09-13-2008, 12:05 PM
In response to the following questions in the Palin Interview thread...

What is the hottest year on record?

What decade has 3 or 4 of the hottest years on record?

Is the average temperature now increasing or decreasing?

Do you agree that the earth has warmed many times before the days of "carbon credits"

What carbon exactly is the "bad" one? From exhaust, from 6 billion people exhaling, from cow flatulence?

I am not promoting pollution, even though most guys like you would like to think that. I am for conservation, renewable energy sources, alternate energy sources etc, I just don't like to be lied to, so we can get there.

In case you have not figured it out, global warming is big, big big business. Tons of money ride on there being a problem, thousands of jobs depend on there being a problem. Over the last 100 years there has been (according to the media) alternating problems with either warming or cooling, please check this out if you do not believe me.

In the end, I do not know the "real answer", I just know I will not believe a word that comes out of that trolls mouth Al Gore. You want to believe him, get in line, he's counting on you.

Ok. Global warming does not mean we are going to be experiencing an increase in temperature every year. It is about an average increase. And not just an average increase locally, but an average increase of GLOBAL temperatures. Now if we were to have an exponential increase in temperaturature every year, we would be in serious trouble. Very serious. But anyone w access to Google can see that termperature graphs have peaks and valleys with general trends upwards or downwards. If over the last decade there was a downward trend you would have a point, but that is not the case.

The earth has been warmer in the past but that has nothing to do with whther or not man is CURRENTLY contributing to a net warming effect on whatever natural baseline temp earth is currently going thru.

There are many different gasses that contribute to the greenhouse effect, 90% of which is water vapor. The difference is that unlike methane and water vapor which stay in the atmosphere for a short amount of time and fall back down to earth (as rain for instance), the carbon emissions from fossil fuels stay in the atmosphere for up to a century, so its important to make that distinction.

And as far as making big bucks off of global warming, I would like to point out that professors in universities get their aychecks from the university, so getting rich off this stuff doesnt make any sense at least as far as 90% of those studying it goes.

The science involved behind the conclusions that man contributes to global warming are supported not just by the IPCC and virtually every scientific body, but by the NSF-- and one thing you cant do is say about the NSF is that they push sham sciennce.

Ok I gotta get out of here. Ill check in on reponses later tonight

Dr. Phin
09-14-2008, 04:01 AM
I've been looking for an environmentalist know-it-all type to answer the following question about Al Gore's famous CO2 vs. temperature graphs.....

How come the temperature changes actually preceed the CO2 changes by about 800 years???

Please, I have yet to get a good explaination on that one...go ahead...please explain it....

ohall
09-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I've been looking for an environmentalist know-it-all type to answer the following question about Al Gore's famous CO2 vs. temperature graphs.....

How come the temperature changes actually preceed the CO2 changes by about 800 years???

Please, I have yet to get a good explaination on that one...go ahead...please explain it....

It all has to do with Methane, and our ever increasing consumption of meat. Cows and pigs are the biggest reason our climate is changing. The larger the worlds population increases it's obvious what will take place.

To make myself clear I have no issue with going green. But I wish ppl would deal with reality not some fantasy that we can some how control our environment to the ends they think we can.

It's beyond arrogant IMO.

ABrownLamp
09-14-2008, 06:17 PM

You're missing a pretty crucial point - historically when atmospheric CO2 levels were following ~800 years behind global warming, the planet had a pretty constant trend (warming or cooling) for the 800 year period.

http://www.grida.no/climate/vital/02.htm

As you can see, the little bumps in the data don't match up - only the long-term trends do. Over the past 800 years, the planet spent most of the time cooling rather than warming:

As the oceans warm, eventually they begin to release CO2 because carbon dioxide is less soluble in warmer water. Rather than absorbing CO2, at a certain temperature the oceans begin to emit CO2, which then increases the greenhouse effect and amplifies global warming.

Now humans are emitting CO2 independent of the global temperature, which is why there's not currently an 800 year delay between atmospheric CO2 concentrations and global warming.

You're missing a pretty crucial point - historically when atmospheric CO2 levels were following ~800 years behind global warming, the planet had a pretty constant trend (warming or cooling) for the 800 year period.

http://www.grida.no/climate/vital/02.htm

As you can see, the little bumps in the data don't match up - only the long-term trends do. Over the past 800 years, the planet spent most of the time cooling rather than warming:

As the oceans warm, eventually they begin to release CO2 because carbon dioxide is less soluble in warmer water. Rather than absorbing CO2, at a certain temperature the oceans begin to emit CO2, which then increases the greenhouse effect and amplifies global warming.

Now humans are emitting CO2 independent of the global temperature, which is why there's not currently an 800 year delay between atmospheric CO2 concentrations and global warming.

ABrownLamp
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
It all has to do with Methane, and our ever increasing consumption of meat. Cows and pigs are the biggest reason our climate is changing. The larger the worlds population increases it's obvious what will take place.

To make myself clear I have no issue with going green. But I wish ppl would deal with reality not some fantasy that we can some how control our environment to the ends they think we can.

It's beyond arrogant IMO.

Methane contributes to the greenhouse effect, but unlike fossil fuel emissions only remain in the atmosphere for a short amount of time. So youre right that the larger our pop increases, the greater the damage we will do, but not for the reasons youve stated.