PDA

View Full Version : The State of American Politics

Dolphan7
09-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I find myself struggling to breath sometimes in this battleground called the American Presidential Election. The air is so thick it is as if my visibility is limited by thick clouds of smoke. Just like on a real battlefield, I find myself involved in hand to hand combat from time to time, taking out my sabre and loping off a head or an arm occasionally. The attacks coming from many directions it seems. The left, the right, the middle. It seems there is no end to the battle, nor victory in sight for either side. My guy is this, your guy is that. He's a muslim, She's a book burner. He's a racist, He's too old. He said this, no he said that. I was for something before I was against something. The body count is rising. The funeral pires are burning. Nobody can see the bigger picture, having been too involved in the trenches. Meanwhile.....

I find a way to escape to the top of a hill, a good vantage point to see the battle raging below me. I see body parts occasionally hurtling upward above the smoke and haze, just momentarily until gravity brings them back to the earth. Yet the battle rages on, unstoppable it seems. It's soldiers oblivious to anything else. War, this kind of war, is just as horrible as real war. I find it refreshing to be on top of this hill. Away from the battle. But ocasionally I will venture down to the battle again to lope off a few more heads and arms I am sure. But for what?

In the end an ultimate winner will be determined, but at what price? A winner will suddenly emerge from the battle field, come out of the smoke and haze, wounded, limping, bleeding, barely able to stand, carrying what is left of a torn and tattered American Flag. A Flag that although once had 50 stars on it, sadly only represents half of them. What did he win? And what did it cost?

This is the sad state of American Politics. Every election cycle I wonder if it could ever get any worse, and it never let's me down. What used to pass for honest statesmanship seems to be a lost art. What used to pass for honest journalism, seems to be a thing of the past we well.

We tend to over-analize things. With the advent of CNN, enter the era of 24 hours a day news. Where once we would reveiw the news of the day from a local newpaper, and once a day in the evening after supper we would listen to our favorite news anchor tell us the important news of the day, just as if it were just news, not opinions, and questions, and doubts, and accusations and innuendo. Today we are constantly barraged with new, news, and more news. So much news that now the news people have to create news to fill in the 24 hours time slots. That is way too much news. We have the internet, and internet bloggers, we have network TV, we have cable news.....we have news on our iphones and cellphones. How much news does one person need in a day? We just don't seem to have enough time these days to do our own news gathering, it is already provided for us, and wala it comes with a built in opinion of the news as well....what a deal!

No I think we really need to step back a little, let the battle rage on the battleground down in front of us, get up on a hill, take a breather, let the dust settle a bit. Gather our wits. See the bigger picture. Stop fighting each other.

America is a divided country. United we have stood for over two centuries. Divided we will fall in less than one.

What the United States of America needs is to be The United States of America, not the United States sometimes of America and sometimes for only half of America.

No matter who you vote for this year, I don't think the country will fall apart. If we lived through Jimmy Carter, we can live though anything.

May God continue to Bless the USA!

shula_guy
09-14-2008, 02:28 AM
make a statement and vote bob barr

phinfan3411
09-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Let me be the first to say that, obviously everyone knows who I am supporting, but if Obama wins, he will be MY PRESIDENT, I will support him, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I will also hold MD to everything he claims about him.

MoFinz
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Let me be the first to say that, obviously everyone knows who I am supporting, but if Obama wins, he will be MY PRESIDENT, I will support him, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed...unlike some on the far left that stomp their feet and disown the President they didn't vote for, i too will call Obama President if he wins. And if he turns out to be what i think he is, i will also refer to him as King James Carter II.

But this "your President" nonsense, and it is nonsense, should stop. Talk about being divisive:(

phinfan3411
09-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Agreed...unlike some on the far left that stomp their feet and disown the President they didn't vote for, i too will call Obama President if he wins. And if he turns out to be what i think he is, i will also refer to him as King James Carter II.

But this "your President" nonsense, and it is nonsense, should stop. Talk about being divisive:(

I don't really understand, are you referring to me? There is something wrong with me thinking even if the candidate I did not support got in, that I should in turn, support him? Making him, My President?

MoFinz
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't really understand, are you referring to me? There is something wrong with me thinking even if the candidate I did not support got in, that I should in turn, support him? Making him, My President?

Nope...notice the first word in my reply. Agreed. I agree with everything you said. I dont buy into this "your President" garbage the sore losers in this country espouse.
You and me....were on the same page :up:

shula_guy
09-14-2008, 12:01 PM
it is funny how the left claims to be the party of tolerance yet show so little of it towards philosphies that differ from theirs

Dolphan7
09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Yes No matter who wins, he will be my President too. And I will want him to be successful for America.

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
it is funny how the left claims to be the party of tolerance yet show so little of it towards philosphies that differ from theirs

The funny thing about " tolerance" is it's always much easy to advise than to actually practice..........lol

shula_guy
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
The funny thing about " tolerance" is it's always much easy to advise than to actually practice..........lol

amen to that

ih8brady
09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I disagree completely. Blind optimism doesn't do anyone or anything any good, it only prevents real vigilance and the solving of actual problems. We need to be realistic about where are country is and where it can or should go.

As for the President/leaders in D.C., I do not owe them a single thing! The government should be loyal to me, not the other way around. I pay their salary and they ought to do their job of upholding the Constitution. This goes for Obama or McCain or any other president there ever was or will be.

Oh, and God can't bless America. He's too busy helping Reggie White win football games. ;)

phinfan3411
09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I disagree completely. Blind optimism doesn't do anyone or anything any good, it only prevents real vigilance and the solving of actual problems. We need to be realistic about where are country is and where it can or should go.

As for the President/leaders in D.C., I do not owe them a single thing! The government should be loyal to me, not the other way around. I pay their salary and they ought to do their job of upholding the Constitution. This goes for Obama or McCain or any other president there ever was or will be.

Oh, and God can't bless America. He's too busy helping Reggie White win football games. ;)

I really wasn't talking about "blind loyalty" more along the line of I will support you until you really screw me. I have that relationship with our governor, he isn't a guy I would have picked, made many mistakes in the past, but since taking over for Spitzer, I have been moderately impressed, he seems to take our fiscal crisis seriously...we'll see.

MDFINFAN
09-17-2008, 11:00 PM

I agree p3411, the president is all our president, I have to accept that Bush was president...ahhhh, I hate the sound of that.. but I would never call for harm to him, he was my president and I just didn't like him.. That's not something new...the fact that we keep going is what makes us unique.. We agree to disagree in America, and yet we'll still Americans.. A lot of countries don't get that luxury, they vote, the half that don't get who they wanted actually try killing the person who won... So I'm happy with our situation.

Now as for you holding me for all of Obama's claims, whew...but you know what.. I think he will do just fine.. I think he has the intelligents, the common sense, the determination, and drive needed to succeed. And where we're at in history in terms of our economy, foreign affairs, his guy's economy team and foreign affairs team that he consults has already shown me he has good judgement.. plus I just don't think he'd be asleep at the wheel.... I expect obama to be so gray by the end of his 2nd year because he has worked so hard to get us out of this mess.. To be honest, with as bad as it's gotten economically, I don't expect much the 1st year of the next president.. they've got to get the economy going first before they can keep any claims.

Eshlemon
09-17-2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other-views/story/689470.html

There is no truth to the rumor . . .
By LEONARD PITTS, JR.

For the record:

Sarah Palin did not call dinosaurs ''lizards of Satan.'' Barack Obama is not a Muslim. That list of books that Palin supposedly wants to ban is a fake. Obama doesn't refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance. The picture of Palin wearing a flag bikini and hefting a gun is a fraud. Obama is, too, a U.S. citizen. Palin doesn't want Alaska to secede.

These and other rumors are, of course, busily bouncing all over the Internet. I dispute them only for the aforementioned record and not from any expectation that doing so will make the slightest bit of difference to the willingness of people to believe whatever they want. I just need to hear truth spoken aloud, need to be able to testify to future generations that it was stated in black and white somewhere in the midst of the maelstrom of mendacity, of lies and damned lies, that now dominates the political debate.

Over the last 20 months, we've all seen the next step on this downward spiral. Meaning the right-wing campaign to paint Obama as Osama bin Laden in a suit. But the chorus of prevarication attending Sarah Palin's arrival on the national scene should dispel any notion that one ideology has a monopoly on mendacity.

Factor in the mistrust (both conservative and liberal) of what used to be regarded as the ultimate arbiters of fact -- i.e., news media -- and you have to wonder whether truth still has a future here.

Already the political sides in this country talk past each other like Mars and Venus. If the games of obfuscation and fabrication political hacks play really are becoming common among real people, it can only get worse.

They think they're helping a candidate win an election. Truth is, they're helping all of us lose a whole lot more.

I really liked the veracity of this article regarding the state of American Politics. And would add the overwhelming aminosity is also derived from individual narcism of it being inconceivable that somebody likes something I don't. And if the don't, the only reason that you can't smell the rosie aroma of my farts and not smell their **** stinking is because of white privelage, racism, sexism, etc

Liked the last part for a book title idea: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus, and Politicians from Uranus".