PDA

View Full Version : Merged x8: Who should we take with the #1 pick in 2009?

islanddolphin
09-07-2008, 04:18 PM
The Dolphins have no choice to go after a game breaking wide receiver with the first pick of the 2009 NFL draft. The tightends for the Dolphins actually played great, even Martin who every was trying to get rid of. However, our wide receivers cant get any seperation and look awful. If the Dolphins cant sign a big play receiver or trade for one then their first round pick will definitely be a wide receiver.

Dolphin1184
09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Knee jerk reactions are fun.

PerfectFinz72
09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Ummm, I was very skeptical about how this team would be. But I have to admit...with all the mistakes I was impressed with the way they hung in there and had a chance to win right at the end. This team is better than I thought and will NOT have the 2009 drafts 1st pick.

Finch83
09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Hopefully we can get Vontae Davis (CB out of Illinois)! :)

Vertical Limit
09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Already thinking about the 2009 draft? Holy ****ing **** dude, it's only been the first game of the season? Jeez, I wonder if Giants' fans had threads like this when they were down 0-2 after Week 2.

ChambersWI
09-07-2008, 04:21 PM

I thought so at first, but he wasn't saying first overall, he was saying with our fist pick. I kind of agree though, had Fasano and Martin not stepped up, we would've been toast so WR definatly becomes a top priority (unless we get a shot at Maualuga)

myke1072
I seriously believe we have the worst fans in the league This thread is indicative of that.

DownDolfin
i'm sure they did, it's still crazy

ZachThomas76
09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

I dont think the OP is making a knee jerk reaction. Most of us knew the wr core is pretty bad, and it is. I think Bess will be a good slot guy with some experience under his belt. Hagan sucks, and Camarillo is nothing more than a role player. Wilford is garbage, and expensive garbage at that now.

ZachThomas76
09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I seriously believe we have the worst fans in the league This thread is indicative of that.

so if you predict 12-4 every year, or say players that suck are good, that makes you a good fan? ill note that.

Elliott 1
09-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Already thinking about the 2009 draft? Holy ****ing **** dude, it's only been the first game of the season? Jeez, I wonder if Giants' fans had threads like this when they were down 0-2 after Week 2.

Do you have any idea how stupid this post is considering the fact that your on the draft forum??????????????

What do you think the threads on the the draft forum were going to be about???????????

TedSlimmJr
09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Do you have any idea how stupid this post is considering the fact that your on the draft forum??????????????

What do you think the threads on the the draft forum were going to be about???????????

lol

JT-forpresident
09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
i actually don't think we'll end up with the first pick....but i believe we'll draft

|
|
|
V

SR 7
09-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Ummm, I was very skeptical about how this team would be. But I have to admit...with all the mistakes I was impressed with the way they hung in there and had a chance to win right at the end. This team is better than I thought and will NOT have the 2009 drafts 1st pick.

yea. we messed up A LOT from punts to penalties to stupid ****. In so many ways we coudl have won the game or gone to OT.

Gonzo
09-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Judging from Parcells drafting history, we'll be going LB, then maybe WR, but most likely DB. Depends on what's available in the middle to end of the rounds though. :d-day:

dsipher13
09-08-2008, 02:24 AM
I just want Rey Rey. That man is a beast.

JT-forpresident
09-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Judging from Parcells drafting history, we'll be going LB, then maybe WR, but most likely DB. Depends on what's available in the middle to end of the rounds though. :d-day:

We'll without a doubt draft a safety, a OLB, a WR and a CB in the draft, i'm right there with ya, it depends which class is the deepest in talent ... safety seems pretty deep and we might've missed out on our opportunity this year to get a cornerback..there were a lotta good ones available when we chose phillip merling, they went by their draft chart and value obviously but a solid, young cornerback would've been a better pick IMO... especially with the Langford selection

Gonzo
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
We'll without a doubt draft a safety, a OLB, a WR and a CB in the draft, i'm right there with ya, it depends which class is the deepest in talent ... safety seems pretty deep and we might've missed out on our opportunity this year to get a cornerback..there were a lotta good ones available when we chose phillip merling, they went by their draft chart and value obviously but a solid, young cornerback would've been a better pick IMO... especially with the Langford selectionI disagree 100%. Langford is looking like he's going to be the steal of the draft where we drafted him and the two have allowed us to possibly square away one of the two most important parts of a team: the lines.

JT-forpresident
09-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I disagree 100%. Langford is looking like he's going to be the steal of the draft where we drafted him and the two have allowed us to possibly square away one of the two most important parts of a team: the lines.

yeah i wasn't questionning the Langford pick, rather the selection of merling AND Langford. We have a lotta bodies in the trenches and it's a good thing, but i would rather have one more young corner out there than having 2 rookie D-ends (3 actually, with Dotson), especially with the randy starks signing

zach8111
09-09-2008, 01:24 AM
i actually don't think we'll end up with the first pick....but i believe we'll draft

|
|
|
V

i also would love to have him with our first rounder. we wont have the #1 overall pick but we should be high up there, high enough to get crabtree.

Zandimd
09-09-2008, 01:33 AM
not sure where we will be in the draft next year we wont be number 1 though....hope its not a WR in the first round though even though we need a roster full of new ones....personally i hope we go db or possibly o-line again in the first round

SR 7
09-09-2008, 01:42 AM

I think we will go LBer as often as we went linemen and we will go CB and a S for sure and WR with a possible TE as they have a tendency to constantly draft TEs for some reason.

Also have an eye out for a RB in the late rounds again.

a NT isnt out of hte question either.

TedSlimmJr
09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
not sure where we will be in the draft next year we wont be number 1 though....hope its not a WR in the first round though even though we need a roster full of new ones....personally i hope we go db or possibly o-line again in the first round

I agree to an extent...

If we're in position to grab the top offensive tackle again (Michael Oher or Andre Smith) I wouldn't rule it out....especially if Carey's contract isn't extended...I think Oher is a better prospect than Jake Long anyway...

I'd like to build the most dominant offensive line in the league for Chad Henne and Ronnie Brown...

If Satele doesn't improve....I wouldn't rule out the top center prospect (Alex Mack) either....I haven't seen a guy get to second level like this kid since Kevin Mawae came out of LSU.....amazing player this guy is....immediate starter and future pro bowler at center for some team IMO.

DOC33
09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
There are to many OLB/DE types for BP to pass on assuming that we are drafting between 5-15 in this draft and assuming that the Jr OLB come out. I could see us going for a couple of OLB's in the first 3 picks. This draft is deep with the hybird types that fit our scheme well and frankly we are very weak long term at both of those positions. I think our first three picks will be defense OLB, CB and OLB or NT. WR is a position that we will target in FA.

NorFlaFin
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Mathew Stafford

ghostface95
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
my pick for our 1st round selection in the draft next year:

VONTAE DAVIS

we need a DB to compliment WILL on the other side or WOULD YOU BE SAFE WITH GOODMAN OR GOD KNOWS WHOEVER ELSE WE HAVE???

MiamiDolfan85
09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
my pick for our 1st round selection in the draft next year:

VONTAE DAVIS

we need a DB to compliment WILL on the other side or WOULD YOU BE SAFE WITH GOODMAN OR GOD KNOWS WHOEVER ELSE WE HAVE???
:boohoo:

ghostface95
09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
my point exactly Miami..I'd pretty damn close to feeling that way now as Sunday approaches. Will can only do but so much against Boldin, aww hell they'll switch both him and Fitz THE ENTIRE GAME TO EXPLOIT OUR WEAKNESS. Damn I'm gonna have to drink myself into a stupor Sunday morning. FINGERS CROSSED THE SECONDARY PLAYS "SOLID" AT BEST!!!:(

StarvingArtists
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/09/306220971_52160ae780_o-1.jpg

He should be our first round pick...

NorFlaFin
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Per Mike Mayock; this years draft will feature a number of quality ILB's and OLB's.

Brown42000
09-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Rey Mauluga will be the Fins first round pick if available.

PENNDOLPHAN
09-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I want rey Maulagua and Michael Hamlin. Also, Pick up Karlos Dansby, Roy williams and Chris Gamble

BigCityCat
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I think we should draft the best defensive tackle there is. I know our defensive backs and safeties are terrible. I know our wide receivers are ****, and I know we are soft at center but I feel that we really need a massive defensive tackle. Then we can use rounds two on db and wide receiver. After that we should probably go after more defensive backs. So I say go like this....

1. Defensive tackle
2. The best player available between wide receiver and DB
2. See Line 2.
3. Center

What do you think?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
doubt we pick #1, St. Louis looks much worse, but we need to go CB or DT.

since1970
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:
so who do we pick in april with the #1 pick of the draft????? i know i know it's only 2 games,but we are going backwards not forward. i believe our secondary looks good in practice because our wr's stink!!!! tuna lets the heart and soul of our defense go to the nfc east.the o-line can't open a hole to save their lives.we have the best 2 backs in the league and they barely break a total of 50 yrds. lord help us....

#1dolphinsfan
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
If ended up getting the #1 pick i would take Malcolm Jenkins in a second

BigCityCat
09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeh I agree. I really meant 1st round. We probably will have a top 5 pick though and then we have 2 second rounders. Maybe Henne makes our wide receivers look better. Then we could focus on DT and DB and safety.

Kdawg954
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Selvie or Malugula look like the best bets . . . both are LB's, and both would fit what we are trying to do in the 3-4. Outside shot at a Tackle, depending on the Carey situation.

Namor
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
A wideout that can get seperation.

thecoordinator
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I think we should draft the best defensive tackle there is.

screw that we need someone who can score points.

BigCityCat
09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Selvie or Malugula look like the best bets . . . both are LB's, and both would fit what we are trying to do in the 3-4. Outside shot at a Tackle, depending on the Carey situation.

We do need some help at line backer. I know the trifecta like the linebacker spot, but Ferguson is not cutting it. We do have free agency to work with. I hope we nab a huge defensive tackle.

Who is the best DT in college that will be in the draft?

NorFlaFin
09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Mathew Stafford

#1dolphinsfan
09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
if we pick High in the draft again like we are going to i say pick malcolm jenkins

MiamiDolfan85
09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I think we should draft the best defensive tackle there is. I know our defensive backs and safeties are terrible. I know our wide receivers are ****, and I know we are soft at center but I feel that we really need a massive defensive tackle. Then we can use rounds two on db and wide receiver. After that we should probably go after more defensive backs. So I say go like this....

1. Defensive tackle
2. The best player available between wide receiver and DB
2. See Line 2.
3. Center

What do you think?
I agree we need a DT,but no DT in next eyars draft is worth a top 5 pick...

LOOK AT MY SIG...'NUFF SAID!

phinphan4life
09-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Mathew Stafford

Matt Stafford may not even be the best player at his position, much less the #1 pick overall.

BigCityCat
09-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Well it looks like there are not really any top Dt in the 2009 draft. We can probably pick one up in round 2.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009DT.php

JT-forpresident
09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
IMO we need a CB, a safety, a Big WR (crabtreeeee) and an elite pass rusher are the most pressing needs...an ILB would be good but not necessary... the thing is... which one would have the biggest impact and potential for a long professional career ? i'm not sold on crabtree from those standpoints but talent-wise, he's the best bet for us along with rey maualuga

thefranchisedef
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
why dont we think rey maualuga? without a doubt the best player in college football.. you can get a gem at wide in the 2nd round. this team has a ways to go, at least we solved our run defense... two good showings in a row.. kendall langford is looking better every day!

ac_lanham
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Mathew Stafford

I don't think he's top 10 material quite yet.

tartan y fronts
09-14-2008, 07:54 PM
if we do get the #1 pick, trade it for more even if we have to sell it cheaper than we'd like. we've far too many holes to have 2 #1 picks on board with all the risk that brings.

MrEd
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Nah, WR will be added via free agency or by trade. Can't have too many rookies, need some proven players, or we will be in the cellar again.

BigCityCat
09-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeh I agree. After looking at the prospects. It looks like DT would be a waste with a high pick. We need to see if Henne can make our wide receivers look better. If so, we may can take a wide receiver in a later round. If we have a shot at Maualuga then I guess you have to take him. Otherwise I would work on the defensive backfield.

DanTheManFinFan
09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Well.....

I pray it's too early to start but given what we've seen so far.....who do we take with the 1st pick in the 2009 draft?

Clipse
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
DT? Lol, we're fine on d-line. We need Vontae Davis people. Our secondary is horrendous.

ChambersWI
09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I cannot stress how much I want Rey Mauluga on this team. However, after watching the game today, Vontae Davis is looking really good (Malcolm Jenkins would be fine too, I just prefer Davis)

PENNDOLPHAN
09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Rey Maulagua!

Minnphin
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I've gotta think that Parcells will be looking for his elite rush linebacker. Don't know if there's one out there, but I've heard Selvie's name tossed around a little bit. Don't know anything about him, but looking at the measurables and the stats, he'd seem to make sense. I wouldn't count out Maualuga or one of the DB's either, but I just think he'll be looking for his LT/Ware.

I definitely think we need to address WR early, as well. Whether or not Ginn pans out, you can't have too many targets. We need that big athletic playmaker. Would be great if we could unearth a Greg Jennings in round 2 or 3.

I don't see them taking a center. Despite the fact that Satele has been plenty shaky, I still think they can turn him into a player.

Don't worry...we got at least 5 long term starters out of this draft, including key positions LT, QB, and 2 DE's. Do it again next year and we're well on our way.

umpalu
09-14-2008, 10:33 PM
St Louis and KC both look worse than we do and you can possibly throw the Bungles in to that group too.

SR 7
09-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Id love to get Rey Rey but what I wonder is this...say we have top 3 pick and we stay, and if all 4 of these players shine who do we go for, crabtree? need at WR? Rey? or a Selvie? a CB such as vonte or jenkins? thats whats going to make it tough.

TheBow305
09-15-2008, 02:17 AM
If we are picking in the Top 3, I say Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech, for our Rush Linebacker. Anywhere outside of that, we need either Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins BADLY!!

bill54
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
any good receivers out there?

JCfinfan
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
any good receivers out there?

Yes, Crabtree is awesome. However we can't afford to be picking 1st overall again. We will be in cap hell in a few years if we continue picking at the top.

CitizenSnips
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
we're bad. But I don't think we're worse then the Rams just yet. Possible though.

I want Taylor Mays or Rey Rey. So...as long as we go USC im happy.

DrunkenFan
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I'd be hard pressed to argue that the Lions or the Bengals wouldn't roll us.

hemidemon
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
That's easy. We should pick the best player on the board. Who that is, who knows it's still way to early to be talking about next years draft when you still have a very long season to go through.

Farmer
09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Yea, Crabtree is pretty nasty. i doubt we'll be top pick though. we'll definitely be top 10 though, i think everyone knew that even before the blow out yesterday

Dfan06
09-15-2008, 01:01 PM
rey mauluga, Roy Williams, T. Suggs in FA

SR 7
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
we're bad. But I don't think we're worse then the Rams just yet. Possible though.

I want Taylor Mays or Rey Rey. So...as long as we go USC im happy.

i think ellison makes more plays then mays in teh secondary or at least thast what it seems lke when i watch the game.

shadpop
09-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Judging by most of the posts after the first two games, Who do we like for the 1st pick in next years draft. If we are going to give up on them this early let's plan for next year now.

MustangFinFan
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
tooo early to decide, but i really think we need some defensive backs. I firmly believe we will be picking in the top 7....IF we do, and a top notch CB is in the top, i say we gotta take him.

I think we are fit at most positions on offense, we just need to give them time to grow better, they are all young. We added tons of DE and LBs, so i definitely think CB is our 1st, and if im coach, 2ND round picks.

CitizenSnips
09-15-2008, 06:36 PM
we have a forum for draft talk.

CCMiamiDolphins
09-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Michael Crabtree?

shadpop
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Right and if I was talking about the 2008 draft as the Forum states I would have put it there.

PENNDOLPHAN
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
No, i want Rey Maulagua to replace Channing Crowder. But if we took Michael CrabTree i wouldnt be mad.( i wish we had calvin Johnson)

SR 7
09-15-2008, 07:10 PM
you gotta go crabtree, rey rey 100%, an OLB, davis at CB or jenkins.

TheBow305
09-16-2008, 01:11 AM
We need Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins, bottom line.

Zandimd
09-16-2008, 01:12 AM
id like to see what henne can do if he will bust or not...cause i realy wouldnt want to pass up on a player like tebow

TheBow305
09-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Either Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins. We need corners bad.

J-REMEDY
09-16-2008, 03:16 AM
I'd rather not spend another high pick on a reciever. What does everyone think about Mauluga and Laurinaitis? Who would you rather have? Having only watched a couple games, Laurinaitis seems involved in every tackle/play but Mauluga is making the big plays.

jbyrd423
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
If were picking in the top 7 these are some of the guys ide look at in no specific order, not all will be available obviously

rey rey
michael johnson
crabtree
whoever emerges as the top cb(davis or jenkins) i like davis cause hes real physical

ChambersWI
09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't know if I'd say we're the worst team in the league yet. KC has looked really bad, as has St. Louis, and you can even make a case for Detroit. We looked awful against Arizona yes, but we didn't look horrible against the Jets (minus the 2 TDs).

I really want Rey Mauluga on this team, but after watching our 2 games, I might have to swallow my pride and say we have to take either Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins.

RoninFin4
09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll cast another vote for Vontae Davis. As a Buckeye fan, I'll admit that Malcolm Jenkins is a bit overrated. He was shredded by a few lesser WR's last year, and there's a lot of talk that he may be a better FS prospect than a CB prospect given his ability to play the run. In the first half against USC, he made a few plays vs. the run which were pretty nice, but he didn't look good in pass coverage the entire game. I think Davis is a more physical cover CB, and if we re-sign Will Allen, we have a nice 1 - 2 combo there.

RoninFin4
09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
We need Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins, bottom line.

Really like your mock draft. Is Brace similar in style to B.J. Raji? I know they're both BC products with similar size, but living in Cincy, we don't see much BC action.

Nappy Roots
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I'll cast another vote for Vontae Davis. As a Buckeye fan, I'll admit that Malcolm Jenkins is a bit overrated. He was shredded by a few lesser WR's last year, and there's a lot of talk that he may be a better FS prospect than a CB prospect given his ability to play the run. In the first half against USC, he made a few plays vs. the run which were pretty nice, but he didn't look good in pass coverage the entire game. I think Davis is a more physical cover CB, and if we re-sign Will Allen, we have a nice 1 - 2 combo there.

see, i think the opposite, i watched for Jenkins on purpose and i saw 1 pass on him in the first half and Jenkins hit the WR as the ball got there, he had good coverage on it.

chillwill3000
09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Looks to be another long season for us, might as well start looking at the 09 draft prospects now. Who do we take with the first pick?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/

fishypete
09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
This should be in the draft forum.

GoonBoss
09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Any of the top CBs would be fine, but, boy......Maguluga...OR however it's spelled from USC looks really, really, really good. And he'd fill in for Crowder nicely. Dude looked GREAT on Saturday night.

fatkirstyalley
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Crabtree going 15th....uh I dont think so

Timmy54
09-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Tim Tebow leaving after is junior year, i dont think so. and isnt Knoshown M. only a soph this year, dont think he can even make the draft.

SabanHater
09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
I think we'll be able to pick anyone we want being that we'll be picking #1 again.

utahphinsfan
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
My 2 cents; Jaison Williams WR Oregon. 6'4" 225 and runs 4.4 40 if memory serves.

utahphinsfan
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I think we'll be able to pick anyone we want being that we'll be picking #1 again.

Both Missouri teams s/b ahead of the phins IMO.

Detroit as well. :lol:

DefensiveEnd76
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Lets hope we don't have a bunch of idiots for scouts like we have had over the years. We don't need any more big-time flops in the draft!!!

ChambersWI
09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Tim Tebow leaving after is junior year, i dont think so. and isnt Knoshown M. only a soph this year, dont think he can even make the draft.

Moreno,Crabtree and Macklin are all sophomores, BUT they are RS sophomores so they can enter if they want to as they are all 2 years removed from HS.

Crabtree going 15th....uh I dont think so

He's putting up insane numbers yes, but a lot of WRs have put up insane numbers at Texas Tech. Plus he has the same questions other tall WRs will have; can he get separation. Mike Williams (a guy many considered the best player in his draft) could not and is now out of the league. If Crabtree runs a slow 40, he will fall.

SR 7
09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't know if I'd say we're the worst team in the league yet. KC has looked really bad, as has St. Louis, and you can even make a case for Detroit. We looked awful against Arizona yes, but we didn't look horrible against the Jets (minus the 2 TDs).

I really want Rey Mauluga on this team, but after watching our 2 games, I might have to swallow my pride and say we have to take either Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins.

I reallllllllllllllly like Rey Rey. I watch him every week and man is he someone that changes the face of a team. he sets a nice tone. Also Jenkins is i think a bit overrated. Ive seen him play and he doenst do anythign where I see him as a top 5-10 pick for some reason. We still have 9 more games to check him out so we'll see.

I see holliday gone as starks is making more of an impact then holliday which is great, merling will start at RE next year 100%, I think Porter is gone next year cuz I see miami drafting 2 Lbers next year, a MLB and an OLB and one of roth or porter will be replaced via FA and the other via draft. I want to see RB # and cap space cuz i haev a feeling he might be gone next year for a pick w/e we can get cuz he is under contract year i believe after that. JA will be cut. Hagan is goodbye sanchez. wilford as well. You will see lots of capspace freed up for sure as if we dindt already. I suspect about 40 mill to spend if not a bit more. we alreayd have i think 19 mill under righT?

Davis on the other hand, all i hear is he will be hte next shut down corner in the nfl but i haven't seen him play so im not sure. I can't comment yet on that. I wonder if miami will spend the money on Asomugha since we have lots of $ to spend already and lots of cuts will be on the way im sure.

Elliott 1
09-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Hopefully we can get Vontae Davis (CB out of Illinois)! :)

A true potential Hall of Famer. Vontae Davis should defintely be the Fins choice.

TheBow305
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I reallllllllllllllly like Rey Rey. I watch him every week and man is he someone that changes the face of a team. he sets a nice tone. Also Jenkins is i think a bit overrated. Ive seen him play and he doenst do anythign where I see him as a top 5-10 pick for some reason. We still have 9 more games to check him out so we'll see.

I see holliday gone as starks is making more of an impact then holliday which is great, merling will start at RE next year 100%, I think Porter is gone next year cuz I see miami drafting 2 Lbers next year, a MLB and an OLB and one of roth or porter will be replaced via FA and the other via draft. I want to see RB # and cap space cuz i haev a feeling he might be gone next year for a pick w/e we can get cuz he is under contract year i believe after that. JA will be cut. Hagan is goodbye sanchez. wilford as well. You will see lots of capspace freed up for sure as if we dindt already. I suspect about 40 mill to spend if not a bit more. we alreayd have i think 19 mill under righT?

Davis on the other hand, all i hear is he will be hte next shut down corner in the nfl but i haven't seen him play so im not sure. I can't comment yet on that. I wonder if miami will spend the money on Asomugha since we have lots of $ to spend already and lots of cuts will be on the way im sure.

I guess Rey Rey is more likely a possibility now because the management has refused to extend Crowder's contract. I guess things could change but it's not looking good for Crowder being a Phin past this year! :(

On the other hand, I would love to sign Asomugha and still draft Vontae Davis. That would solve our CB problems for sure.

TheBow305
09-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Personally, I'd be happy with either, but the fact that Vernon Davis has been a little bit of a bust in SF despite all his god-given ability makes me a little weary of Vontae. I know that is kind of an elementary reason to be weary, but I can't help being a tad concerned. Also, you say that Jenkins is a tad overrated, but even so, OSU is a factory for corners in the NFL and haven't put out a whole lot of bad ones IMO. Even Youboty, who didn't look all that special his first couple years, is finally catching on and looks like a nice young player now for Buffalo.

Really like your mock draft. Is Brace similar in style to B.J. Raji? I know they're both BC products with similar size, but living in Cincy, we don't see much BC action.

I'd say they are about identical in stature, style, and productivity from what I've seen of BC in the last couple of years. Both are perfect NT candidates for our 3-4.

DeeperImage
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Since we are pretty much going to have the #1 pick again, who are some of players you'd like to see come in here and help us turn this around? :boohoo: I feel like we are the Titanic, sitting on the Ocean floor at over 2,000ft deep looking up, can't even see light, trying to rise to the surface.

Phinnhedd
09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
we definitely won't have the number one pick. maybe 3rd or 4th. wouldn't mind picking a receiver like michael crabtree. i looked at some mock drafts and some have us picking matthew stafford the quarterback. why would we do that when we clearly picked henne this last draft?

we definitely need some more defensive help especially in the secondary.

GoonBoss
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Draft forum......

But I think we're top 5 and the pick is Malugala ILB from USC.

DeeperImage
09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
we definitely won't have the number one pick. maybe 3rd or 4th. wouldn't mind picking a receiver like michael crabtree. i looked at some mock drafts and some have us picking matthew stafford the quarterback. why would we do that when we clearly picked henne this last draft?

we definitely need some more defensive help especially in the secondary.
Matt Stafford? :sidelol:

I'd rather take a stab at it with Beck (I'm a Henne fan) than touch that guy. The way things are going, I don't think we are going to win any games for quite sometime.

Lorenzo Rules
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
the best blocking te Brandon Pettigrew would be awesome with Fasino and I would get rid of two wrs and trade for a big wr then this will free up for a cb and maybe we ought to get 2 wrs and 2 safeties.

phinfan33
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Draft forum......

i agree,and Mauluga is who i hope we get,that guy is a playmaker at MLB.

Phinnhedd
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Matt Stafford? :sidelol:

I'd rather take a stab at it with Beck (I'm a Henne fan) than touch that guy. The way things are going, I don't think we are going to win any games for quite sometime.

same here. this season is a blessing in disguise, our weaknesses are magnified being this lousy, and chad henne gets to play in garbage time. what more can you ask for. at least we know where we need to upgrade positions come next year.

Phinnhedd
09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
i agree,and Mauluga is who i hope we get,that guy is a playmaker at MLB.

From what i've read about him and seen, the guy seems like a bonafide NFL playmaker. heres a draft bio (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/rey_maualuga.htm) about him.

GoonBoss
09-18-2008, 03:30 PM
From what i've read about him and seen, the guy seems like a bonafide NFL playmaker. heres a draft bio (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/rey_maualuga.htm) about him.

Dude looked like a demon possessed football seeking nuclear weapon vs OSU last week. My wife was watching halfway with me while she was reading on the couch...She looks up one time when he was running the INT back for a TD and she goes..."He scares me. He looks crazy." :lol:

HenneCannon7
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Crabtree all day, I'm officially on the bandwagon.

Phinnhedd
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Dude looked like a demon possessed football seeking nuclear weapon vs OSU last week. My wife was watching halfway with me while she was reading on the couch...She looks up one time when he was running the INT back for a TD and she goes..."He scares me. He looks crazy." :lol:

THAT is definitely the type of guy we need on the team. The team needs that emotional leader that plays with intensity. Watching the game last week i could tell the wind was totally out of the sails from both sides of the ball. We need a culture change and a guy that has his skills should be a firestarter or at least just the spark we need.

South Florida
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM

Is this gentleman not a Sophomore?

MiggeMadness
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Has a team ever had the #1 pick two years in a row?

I'm hoping for Mauluga as well.

although, Laurinaitis is an Animal....:foundout:

phinfan33
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
i agree,we do need WR in a big way,but if Mauluga falls right into our laps come draft day,i don't see how we can pass on him. like Baltimore did with Ray Lewis,i feel our defense can be built around Mauluga. he brings good football instincts,monsterous hard hitting,and the kind of energy that his team mates will feed off. his partner Brian Cushing is another LB i think will be good in the Pros also.

phinfan33
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
i agree,we do need WR in a big way,but if Mauluga falls right into our laps come draft day,i don't see how we can pass on him. like Baltimore did with Ray Lewis,i feel our defense can be built around Mauluga. he brings good football instincts,monsterous hard hitting,and the kind of energy that his team mates will feed off of. his partner Brian Cushing is another LB i think will be good in the Pros also.

GoonBoss
09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Is this gentleman not a Sophomore?

Redshirt Sophomore

Gonzo
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Draft forum......

:gonzo:

Dolphin39
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I definitely DON'T want us drafting a WR with our first pick next year. :refuse:

Stick with a stud defensive player who can help solidify the team for many years. :up:

SR 7
09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
I guess Rey Rey is more likely a possibility now because the management has refused to extend Crowder's contract. I guess things could change but it's not looking good for Crowder being a Phin past this year! :(

On the other hand, I would love to sign Asomugha and still draft Vontae Davis. That would solve our CB problems for sure.

Check this out...Rey Rey! at MLB, Orakapu at OLB in round 2, and get yourself a WR wiht the 2nd pick in round 2.

On Def. you have Merling at RE, Langford at LE, Solai at NT and Starks has been playing very well for us this year so far, as the back up. You got yourself hte base foundation of the front 7. All you need is to build the secondary and it can start with Asomugha in FA. Picking him up, allen at #2, and a draftee in round 3 as your 3rd if not 4th behind lehan cuz allen is a FA after next year but so far he'd be a great resignee. and the best part is, this D right there is PHYSICAL, STRONG, and very fast.

TheBow305
09-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Check this out...Rey Rey! at MLB, Orakapu at OLB in round 2, and get yourself a WR wiht the 2nd pick in round 2.

On Def. you have Merling at RE, Langford at LE, Solai at NT and Starks has been playing very well for us this year so far, as the back up. You got yourself hte base foundation of the front 7. All you need is to build the secondary and it can start with Asomugha in FA. Picking him up, allen at #2, and a draftee in round 3 as your 3rd if not 4th behind lehan cuz allen is a FA after next year but so far he'd be a great resignee. and the best part is, this D right there is PHYSICAL, STRONG, and very fast.

I'd be ok with that. My main concern though, is getting that secondary upgraded and squared away. Rey Rey is a solid pick obviously, but I am not sold yet on Orakpo. I need to see more of this guy before I jump on board with him. I would much rather have Everette Brown at this point or Brian Cushing if he was available. That all goes out the door if we don't sign Asomugha though, because then we need Vontae over Rey, no question about it. If we don't re-sign Crowder, then I can still live with Ayodele and Torbor in the middle. But I can't deal with another year of Will Allen and Andre Goodman outside!

SR 7
09-19-2008, 03:04 AM
i havn'te heard/seen much of brown. whats his game like etc? strenghts weaknesses?

NRA
09-19-2008, 04:59 PM
as long as folks keep getting suckered into this "defense wins championships"
nonsense, we will be picking top 3 for YEARS to come!!

MICHAEL CRABTREE should ABSOLUTLEY be the top pick.

ok, several have said "i dont want a wr early".

we have followed that thought for YEARS now.

and we have averaged 17 points a game in that time span.

and probably less this year!

even when our core derfense with zack and jt and surtain and
maddison were here, we DID NOT WIN! we did NOT make the playoffs!

because we had NO talent at wr!! we could NOT put any points on the board
and our guys scared NO ONE!!

if we keep saying dont take a wr early, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, we will
be the same kind of team we are now.

when SKILL POSITIONS fall into your hands, you TAKE IT! qb, wr, rb, whatever.

and we have been BURNED over and over by passing it up.

WR and or DB should be the absolute focus in the coming draft and free
agency.

i LOVE ray maluaga [sp?]. but he will not change the score board one
bit. ok, maybe we lose 27-10 instead of 31-10.

if we had boldin and fitz, all these players, both on offense and defense
would be looking so much different.

MP08!!

Gonzo
09-19-2008, 05:08 PM
as long as folks keep getting suckered into this "defense wins championships"
nonsense, we will be picking top 3 for YEARS to come!!

MICHAEL CRABTREE should ABSOLUTLEY be the top pick.

ok, several have said "i dont want a wr early".

we have followed that thought for YEARS now.

and we have averaged 17 points a game in that time span.

and probably less this year!

even when our core derfense with zack and jt and surtain and
maddison were here, we DID NOT WIN! we did NOT make the playoffs!

because we had NO talent at wr!! we could NOT put any points on the board
and our guys scared NO ONE!!

if we keep saying dont take a wr early, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, we will
be the same kind of team we are now.

when SKILL POSITIONS fall into your hands, you TAKE IT! qb, wr, rb, whatever.

and we have been BURNED over and over by passing it up.

WR and or DB should be the absolute focus in the coming draft and free
agency.

i LOVE ray maluaga [sp?]. but he will not change the score board one
bit. ok, maybe we lose 27-10 instead of 31-10.

if we had boldin and fitz, all these players, both on offense and defense
would be looking so much different.

MP08!!
You mean like the Giants got suckered into winning the SB last year with their defense against the most successful offense ever? Or like the Dolts got suckered into finally winning one when they developed a good defense rather than relying on one of the most potent offenses ever? I could give more examples if you like.

A WR taken high again would be a huge mistake, particularly if it's a WR from a gimmick offense like TT.

SR 7
09-19-2008, 05:51 PM
You mean like the Giants got suckered into winning the SB last year with their defense against the most successful offense ever? Or like the Dolts got suckered into finally winning one when they developed a good defense rather than relying on one of the most potent offenses ever? I could give more examples if you like.

A WR taken high again would be a huge mistake, particularly if it's a WR from a gimmick offense like TT.

true but the difference is they ALL have a number 1 WR. we dont. plax for the giants, harrison/wayne for the colts, etc etc.

Defense will get us more opportunities to score on offense BUT you need playmakers on offense too and we dont have it. so its hand in hand for THIS team. you take BPA no matter what b/c we are head and shoulders below many teams in the league. If we go Asomugha in FA and Colombo at RT, we can then let carey walk and not drop the amount he'll ask for especially for a guy thats 350 and can't block neone so far this season.

now you can go LBer round 1, a OLB rounder 2A and a WR 2B or vic versa. either way we need LBers, CB, and WR more hten ever before.

and for those taht say Bell is a playmaker he isnt THAT good. watch teh TD vs the cards, he "tripped" and was "out of position" to make the INT. as usual with our DB's for the past 23423 years.

Nappy Roots
09-19-2008, 05:57 PM
why the hell would we down grade at RT with someone 2 years older?

Gonzo
09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
true but the difference is they ALL have a number 1 WR. we dont. plax for the giants, harrison/wayne for the colts, etc etc.

Defense will get us more opportunities to score on offense BUT you need playmakers on offense too and we dont have it. so its hand in hand for THIS team. you take BPA no matter what b/c we are head and shoulders below many teams in the league. If we go Asomugha in FA and Colombo at RT, we can then let carey walk and not drop the amount he'll ask for especially for a guy thats 350 and can't block neone so far this season.

now you can go LBer round 1, a OLB rounder 2A and a WR 2B or vic versa. either way we need LBers, CB, and WR more hten ever before.

and for those taht say Bell is a playmaker he isnt THAT good. watch teh TD vs the cards, he "tripped" and was "out of position" to make the INT. as usual with our DB's for the past 23423 years.
Yes, eventually we need a solid #1 WR (and I still haven't given up on Ginn), but I place LB, DB, and possibly even another OL above WR. I don't like drafting WR's very high in the first place. Yes, occasionally you get a game-changing WR like Moss, but it's rare, and even then I put a good defense as more important, especially on a rebuilding team.

My ideal draft isn't centered on one person. I'm hoping for an LB or DB in the first round, and a LB, DB, OL, or WR in the second round (so glad we have 2).

PENNDOLPHAN
09-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Heres what id love to see happen.

First round, draft rey Maulagua. Second round draft Michael Hamlin AND Ricky sapp.
Third Round, draft Domonique johnson( 6-2 200 IBs runs a 4.40).

In FA, sign roy williams, re-sign vernon carey(or sign jordan gross), sign Karlos Dansby, chris gamble, and re-sign Will allen(nothing big, maybe 2-3 year extension). Also, if JA proves nothin this year and gets the boot, we should take a look ak Dawan Landry from the ravens.

To me, this is a PERFECT offseason plan, But i dont know if we have the cap space to do it. And i dont know what to with the NT position. Hopefully, Jason Ferguson plays for one more year.