PDA

View Full Version : The Big 'What If'

BAMAPHIN 22
09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
The hopes of black America ride on his shoulders. But the outcome's way up in the air.

Political gravity would seem to favor the Democratic candidate after two terms of Republican control of the White House (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/The+White+House?tid=informline). Yet the possibility is very real: Barack Obama could lose.

If that happens, then what? How will I feel? How will other black Americans feel? How should people like me feel?

Whether black onlookers believe that this election was decided "on the real issues" and that Obama was "judged fairly" will be shaped in part by future developments, including the nature of the campaign in its closing weeks (will race-baiting intensify?) and the demographics of the final voting tally (will people who have traditionally voted Democrat vote differently this time around?).

I anticipate that most black Americans will believe that an Obama defeat will have stemmed in substantial part from a prejudice that robbed 40 million Americans of the chance to become president on the day they were born black. They will of course understand that race wasn't the only significant variable -- that party affiliation, ideological proclivities, strategic choices and dumb luck also mattered. But deep in their bones, they will believe -- and probably rightly -- that race was a key element, that had the racial shoe been on the other foot -- had John McCain (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/John+McCain?tid=informline) been black and Obama white -- the result would have been different.

This conclusion will be accompanied by bitter disappointment, and in some quarters, stark rage. In the early stages of the Obama campaign, his rival, Hillary Clinton (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Hillary+Clinton?tid=informline), outpolled him among blacks in part because many didn't believe that he stood a chance of prevailing. Then came Iowa. And the near-victory in New Hampshire. When blacks realized that Obama's candidacy represented a serious drive for electoral power with an appreciable chance of success, they gravitated overwhelmingly to the Illinois senator.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091202414.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I view this opinion piece as a prime example of " race baiting ". I am hoping like myself, people from all races will base their choice on principle and policy not on the race of the candiate. Most of these opinon pieces I have seen have not once stopped to consider that Senator Obama is half white..........

The_Dark_Knight
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
I view this opinion piece as a prime example of " race baiting ". I am hoping like myself, people from all races will base their choice on principle and policy not on the race of the candiate. Most of these opinon pieces I have seen have not once stopped to consider that Senator Obama is half white..........
I agree with you 100%!! I can't stand OpEds like this as it plants a seed of doubt. Whether the seed takes hold or not is entirely up to those who read them, but as you said there have been numerous "seeds" planted. One of these seeds are going to take and no matter what, if Obama does lose the election, a racial rage will follow. To what degree, I can't say but with these OpEds baiting the race card...

Now as for Obama being half white, this is something I've never understood...and that's a whole other can of worms I don't even feel like getting in to. For some, it's hard to "discuss" that topic without feelings being bruised.

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
lol Bruised??? I agree!

ABrownLamp
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Well most dems will vote for a dem whose been nominated to represent them regardless of race. And the same is true for pubs. The small percentage that are independant are the issue. And most say they dont take race into consideration when they are polled but we have no idea what goes thru their heads when they enter the voting booth. I think race definitely will play a factor among a marked percent of those people come time to vote. I dont know why theres such a big issue being made about how America is so beyond that when racism is obviously still present today