PDA

View Full Version : Is it ageism???

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd like to read some thoughts on whether or not YOU think that Senator Obama is perhaps concentrating TOO much on the age of Senator McCain.......is he offending middle of the road senior voters????????
I am bringing this up because I spoke to a neighbor just this a.m who is 69 and really feels like Senator Obama , by going after McCain re: to his age
and inexperience with computers, he is saying that older people are just not in touch......this guy is a democrate but he was really annoyed when I spoke to him this morning, he said to me that's it, I am voting for McCain.
I was surprised. I said have you found some material I may be interested in reading in regards to Senator McCain, he said NO, nothing new. I am just sick of tired of Senator Obama thinking old people are out of touch.
Now perhaps younger people don't precieve it as such but I am just recounting how one older person I know has precieved it.

MDFINFAN
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I'd like to read some thoughts on whether or not YOU think that Senator Obama is perhaps concentrating TOO much on the age of Senator McCain.......is he offending middle of the road senior voters????????
I am bringing this up because I spoke to a neighbor just this a.m who is 69 and really feels like Senator Obama , by going after McCain re: to his age
and inexperience with computers, he is saying that older people are just not in touch......this guy is a democrate but he was really annoyed when I spoke to him this morning, he said to me that's it, I am voting for McCain.
I was surprised. I said have you found some material I may be interested in reading in regards to Senator McCain, he said NO, nothing new. I am just sick of tired of Senator Obama thinking old people are out of touch.
Now perhaps younger people don't precieve it as such but I am just recounting how one older person I know has precieved it.

Why don't you try telling your neighbor Obama isn't going after older citizens, just McCain with his 9 houses, yacht invitions, golf course cart rides, and elite club.. He's saying McCain's out of touch.. I know I'm asking a lot of you, but can you inform your neighbor of the truth..

Dolphan7
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I have heard similar things from some of our senior citizens. Obama does run the risk of not only ticking off women voters, but also seniors. Should probably be a little more careful with the rhetoric.

ohall
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Why don't you try telling your neighbor Obama isn't going after older citizens, just McCain with his 9 houses, yacht invitions, golf course cart rides, and elite club.. He's saying McCain's out of touch.. I know I'm asking a lot of you, but can you inform your neighbor of the truth..

This from the other millionaire candidate Obama? You'd have to be really gullible to think Obama can lecture McCain about being an out of touch rich person.

Gonzo
09-15-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't expect my grandfather to know how to email, but he isn't running for president (though he does know how to). He's saying McCain is out of touch, it's only ageism on the part of the smearer if you assume that is talking about all seniors. That approach is no different than assuming every negative statement against Obama is a statement against African-Americans.

And I thought these smear tactics would have died with the "lipstick on a pig" fiasco...

ABrownLamp
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
See this is the problem w petty politics in America. People get so wrapped up in the way someone said something or about lipstick or how many houses a person has or any of the other meaningless bs that the issues themselves or how a presidential candidates policies will directly affect the US go to the wayside.

Obama was poking at mccains inability to lead and knowledge of the modern world and you get testimony from people saying they think thats a personal attack against them. Its absurd, and exactly why negative campaigns work, because people in this country base their decisions on petty bs like that

phinman1
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Now Obama hates old people? Darn it. I guess we can add that to the list.

Obama hates women, white people, old people, is secretly Muslim and wants to destroy America, and wants Kindergardeners to have sex.

Oh, the ridiculousness of it all. The GOP and their supporters always so mindful of feelings, yet they continue to be the biggest purveyors of slime and lies.

Dolphan7
09-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, Obama is using McCain's age as an issue, saying that because of his age he is out of touch, and therefore not fit to be POTUS.

These are the facts.

ABrownLamp
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, Obama is using McCain's age as an issue, saying that because of his age he is out of touch, and therefore not fit to be POTUS.

These are the facts.

Barack Obama hates old people!

I mean seriously. I understand what you are saying, but the statement I made above is essentially the underlying argument behind pointing something like this out. It's silly. Its just ashame people fall for it

Gonzo
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM

These are the facts.
I would like to see where he says that he is out of touch because he is old. He has said such because of his stances on issues (the addressing of which is effectively avoided by the use of these petty tactics) and, yes, because of his lack of interest in learning things such as email, one of the most common methods of communication today, regardless of age.

I suppose it's easier to just smear it as ageism than it is to actually address these valid concerns. And sadly, as ABL points out, it's very effective.

MDFINFAN
09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
This from the other millionaire candidate Obama? You'd have to be really gullible to think Obama can lecture McCain about being an out of touch rich person.

Yea, like Obama's been rich as long as McCain's has..pleaseeeee, Obama still lives in the city, not way out on a ranch away from everyone..McCain said himself, you get out of touch when you're in Washington away from the everyday interacting of people...Obama hasn't been in Washington long enough to have that feeling.. Come on Ohall..McCain's still saying the basics of the economy is sound, he said that just this morning in a rally in FL, were you there or something?

Dolphan7
09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Barack Obama hates old people!

I mean seriously. I understand what you are saying, but the statement I made above is essentially the underlying argument behind pointing something like this out. It's silly. Its just ashame people fall for itLook, you are certainly welcome to form your own opinions, but you are not welcome to form mine. That is not what I said, I am simply stating the facts, which is Obama has made McCain's age an issue. You can determine for yourself what that means, but please pen your own name to it, not mine.

Dolphan7
09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I would like to see where he says that he is out of touch because he is old. He has said such because of his stances on issues (the addressing of which is effectively avoided by the use of these petty tactics) and, yes, because of his lack of interest in learning things such as email, one of the most common methods of communication today, regardless of age.

I suppose it's easier to just smear it as ageism than it is to actually address these valid concerns. And sadly, as ABL points out, it's very effective.
Well....when I hear "old" people taking Obama's words as just what I posted, then that is what he is saying to these old voters; that they are out of touch because they are old and don't use email and computers and such. That is the message as it is received by them.

All I am saying is that Obama should be careful not to tick off this large voting block by comments like that.

Gonzo
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Well....when I hear "old" people taking Obama's words as just what I posted, then that is what he is saying to these old voters; that they are out of touch because they are old and don't use email and computers and such. That is the message as it is received by them.

All I am saying is that Obama should be careful not to tick off this large voting block by comments like that.So...he didn't say it then. Didn't think so. It's sad that people take things out of context and twist them into conforming with their preconceived notions, but I don't know how to solve that. It's also sad to see politicians on both sides of the aisle catering to it and sad to see people accusing others of saying things they never did.

I've talked to seniors on both sides and the only ones who believe that he said such things (which he never did...speaking of putting words in someones mouth) are the ones that were never going to vote for Obama in the first place.

It's all nothing but pathetic smear and avoidance of talking about the issues that actually matter. American politics at it's finest.

ABrownLamp
09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Look, you are certainly welcome to form your own opinions, but you are not welcome to form mine. That is not what I said, I am simply stating the facts, which is Obama has made McCain's age an issue. You can determine for yourself what that means, but please pen your own name to it, not mine.

I am responding to your analysis of Baracks statement and its implications.

Heres the quote:
""It's extraordinary," he said, "that someone who wants to be our president and commander in chief doesn't know how to send an e-mail."

Ok...so theres no mention of age anywhere in there.

So this quote of yours ...

These are the facts.

...is at the very least questionable. But more than likely, just incorrect

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 06:20 PM

I think I may insult him MD. My neighbor owns an apartment complex in New Tampa, belongs to an elite golf club himself. To say it shortly, he isn't hurting.....................and I do not believe that Senator McCain's age and what he owns is what Senator Obama is going after him about.

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't expect my grandfather to know how to email, but he isn't running for president (though he does know how to). He's saying McCain is out of touch, it's only ageism on the part of the smearer if you assume that is talking about all seniors. That approach is no different than assuming every negative statement against Obama is a statement against African-Americans.

And I thought these smear tactics would have died with the "lipstick on a pig" fiasco...

I didn't post MY thoughts on this. I posted what a senior neighbor said to me. Lets keep in mind that not every person in American keeps themselves appraised daily on the election issues or investigates everything they HEAR................often a snipet from a commercial, overhearing someone else relate something can cause someone to form their opinion..........not everyone researches their party candidates. Some people vote the way they vote because their " family has always been " ......

MDFINFAN
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
I think I may insult him MD. My neighbor owns an apartment complex in New Tampa, belongs to an elite golf club himself. To say it shortly, he isn't hurting.....................and I do not believe that Senator McCain's age and what he owns is what Senator Obama is going after him about.

It wasn't, I was trying to make a point...as long as you know what Obama was going after that's all that matters..but I wish you would have stated your opinion to the guy.. I hate to say it, but it does seem like he was haven't a senior moment if he thought Obama was going for a age issue..

ohall
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Yea, like Obama's been rich as long as McCain's has..pleaseeeee, Obama still lives in the city, not way out on a ranch away from everyone..McCain said himself, you get out of touch when you're in Washington away from the everyday interacting of people...Obama hasn't been in Washington long enough to have that feeling.. Come on Ohall..McCain's still saying the basics of the economy is sound, he said that just this morning in a rally in FL, were you there or something?

Did you say as long as?

ROFL

Gonzo
09-15-2008, 08:06 PM
I didn't post MY thoughts on this. I posted what a senior neighbor said to me. Lets keep in mind that not every person in American keeps themselves appraised daily on the election issues or investigates everything they HEAR................often a snipet from a commercial, overhearing someone else relate something can cause someone to form their opinion..........not everyone researches their party candidates. Some people vote the way they vote because their " family has always been " ......
Which is why smear campaigning is so effective. Put the info out there regardless of whether it is true. It goes with what I say in a later post in that the people who believe this stuff were most likely not going to vote for Obama anyways.

And I used 'you' in the broader sense, not referring to you personally. Probably should have used 'one' to avoid confusion.

FinFatale
09-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Which is why smear campaigning is so effective. Put the info out there regardless of whether it is true. It goes with what I say in a later post in that the people who believe this stuff were most likely not going to vote for Obama anyways.

And I used 'you' in the broader sense, not referring to you personally. Probably should have used 'one' to avoid confusion.

hey no prob!

Gonzo
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Did you say as long as?

ROFLis that reverse ageism? :lol: