PDA

View Full Version : Even GOP says McCain must accept earmarks

MDFINFAN
09-17-2008, 04:23 PM
This is what I was talking about D7 in another thread..say one thing on the campaign trail, but he knows the truth..

Out on the stump, John McCain gets wild applause each time he promises as president to veto every spending bill that contains an earmark.

But McCain will find it almost impossible to live up to his vow, and gridlock would result if Congress refused to go along with such an executive branch power grab.

And that’s what members of McCain’s own party are saying.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13525.html

WSE
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
its sad, but true

Earmarks are a huge part of our political system. Its Congress doing their jobs- getting all they could get for their states by attaching it to important bills.

The Supreme Court ruled line item vetoes unconstitutional, so to pass important legislation, you have to accept the whole bill, including earmarks.

He can reject it all he wants, but all the bills he gets will come with it- because it is Congress doing their jobs, representing their states trying to get the most money for them as they could. They aint gonna stop, and shouldn't be expected to. With the way the system is, there is no way to stop earmarks

the line item veto was the best hope, but without that, its done.

ohall
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
If McCain accepts this, this will be the 1st time he has ever done so. I'll take his word on this. There is a 26-year record to backup his intentions.

WSE
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
If McCain accepts this, this will be the 1st time he has ever done so. I'll take his word on this. There is a 26-year record to backup his intentions.
there is a 26 year old records of him not signing bills with earmarks (except some small ones)

he has never been president, in the position where he has no choice but to accept bills congress gives to him

there is no record with him veteoing bills, because he has never been in position to do so

and he is going to have to accept bills with earmarks as president because is going to be attached to important legislation, and doing that will be the only way to get important legislation passed (like his billions needed for Iraq)

Congress will do it because its their job to get the most they can for their states (they represent their states) and McCain as president would need to get things passed. Without the line item veto, there is no way to stop it.

MDFINFAN
09-17-2008, 04:42 PM

See I understand that for McCain's personal interest..i.e., he personally won't accept earmarks for Az...but as president can he stop his party and the dem's from doing it...if he veto, he'll have to veto every bill and nothing will get done.. I don't think McCain has the standing in his own party to pull this off, and he surely doesn't have the standing in the Dem party..

Eshlemon
09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
See I understand that for McCain's personal interest..i.e., he personally won't accept earmarks for Az...but as president can he stop his party and the dem's from doing it...if he veto, he'll have to veto every bill and nothing will get done.. I don't think McCain has the standing in his own party to pull this off, and he surely doesn't have the standing in the Dem party..

No President can control Congressonial spending unless a line item veto is available...but comes with it's own problems.

WSE
09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
No President can control Congressonial spending unless a line item veto is available...but comes with it's own problems.
yep...what I said and 100% agreed.

Eshlemon
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
yep...what I said and 100% agreed.

:oops:

Twice and I still missed. Sorry, happens sometimes when I'm quick viewing at work.

:goodpost:

ohall
09-17-2008, 07:07 PM

I would think he would be far less likely to accept anything with earmarks in it.

I have no idea what Obama may or may not do. He has no record.

WSE
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I would think he would be far less likely to accept anything with earmarks in it.

I have no idea what Obama may or may not do. He has no record.

but what you dont get is that he will have no choice- it will be attached to important bills- like the budget and war financing. He wont get presented anything important without pork attached. And if he rejects it, more will come with pork. Its the way politics work, and both parties do it. Pork is one thing that cant be stopped in its current form

now, I realize McCain has a great history when it comes to pork. He barely does any for Arizona. Literally, he has probably the least out of any Senator. Also, he cosponsored the line item veto bill, which passed in Congress, but was later ruled unconstitutional, which by far was the best way to limit pork

as a Senator, he did his best to limit pork, but as president, when he doesn't make the bills and the bills are instead presented to him, when both parties send bills with pork, he will have no choice but to sign it into law if he wants anything passed.

ohall
09-17-2008, 11:22 PM
but what you dont get is that he will have no choice- it will be attached to important bills- like the budget and war financing. He wont get presented anything important without pork attached. And if he rejects it, more will come with pork. Its the way politics work, and both parties do it. Pork is one thing that cant be stopped in its current form

now, I realize McCain has a great history when it comes to pork. He barely does any for Arizona. Literally, he has probably the least out of any Senator. Also, he cosponsored the line item veto bill, which passed in Congress, but was later ruled unconstitutional, which by far was the best way to limit pork

as a Senator, he did his best to limit pork, but as president, when he doesn't make the bills and the bills are instead presented to him, when both parties send bills with pork, he will have no choice but to sign it into law if he wants anything passed.

I understand what you are saying. What you don't understand is I'm saying he may be the one man that may push this issue. I honestly think he hates earmarks that much. Hopefully we'll find out.

MDFINFAN
09-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I understand what you are saying. What you don't understand is I'm saying he may be the one man that may push this issue. I honestly think he hates earmarks that much. Hopefully we'll find out.

We've seen this before and it's called a shutdown government... I just don't think McCain wins this, especially when he's fighting his own party as well as the dems....generally this is one party vs the other... that's the only reason I don't think he wins this.

poornate
09-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Hopefully we won't... can you imagine the federal gridlock? ...and thank God there is no line item veto.... What we need is the national initiative...