PDA

View Full Version : Obama challenges McCain on abortion

BAMAPHIN 22
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Republican John McCain, an abortion rights opponent with a conservative Senate record on the issue, seems content with the public's perception that he's more moderate on the issue. Democrat Barack Obama, who supports abortion rights, is only too happy to remind voters where McCain stands, but he tries to make his case without attracting too much attention.

Both candidates are gingerly trying to strike the right chord on abortion as they reach out to a critical voting group independents and moderates, primarily women in swing-voting suburban regions of crucial states such as Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio.

The candidates' carefully targeted ads on abortion and stem-cell research, topics that enflame passions among both abortion-rights proponents and opponents, illustrate how Republicans and Democrats alike are tailoring their messages to specific groups of voters.

Obama is challenging McCain in ads that say the GOP nominee takes an "extreme position on choice" and "will make abortion illegal." He is spreading his message through low-profile radio ads and campaign mailings, though, hoping to avoid being tagged as too liberal on a woman's right to choose to end a pregnancy.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-18-Obama-abortion_N.htm

LouPhinFan
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Fun stuff. I don't care who is elected, what the fact of the matter is abortion will never be outlawed. Its pretty much here to stay. Whether you believe in "choice" or "life" doesn't matter, abortion is going anywhere. As horrible as abortion is...:(

Dolphan7
09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Can't argue with you there Lou. The only way Abortion is made illegal in this country is if Congress makes a law that says it is illegal, and then it will have to pass Supreme Court Muster in order to become law of the land. The POTUS has little control or influence in this, so Obama is using fear tactics as usual.

Sadly it is something that should never have happened (Roe v Wade), but we are stuck with it.

MDFINFAN
09-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Can't argue with you there Lou. The only way Abortion is made illegal in this country is if Congress makes a law that says it is illegal, and then it will have to pass Supreme Court Muster in order to become law of the land. The POTUS has little control or influence in this, so Obama is using fear tactics as usual.

Sadly it is something that should never have happened (Roe v Wade), but we are stuck with it.

No Obama's not using fear, McCain stated what type of justices he'd put on the supreme court..and wade vs roe maybe in trouble if done...

“There are estimates and, I don’t know if they’re true or not, that there are going to be a couple of vacancies on the Supreme Court in the next presidential term. I am proud to have played a role in the appointment of some great justices to the Court. I am very proud to have played a role in the appointment, nomination of two great Supreme Court justices Roberts and Alito," McCain said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/02/11/politics/fromtheroad/entry3819847.shtml

So people who are pro choice do have a decision..

Like you I wish abortions go down or go away..but I do think it's the right of the individual to make that choice..

WSE
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM

its true its up to legislature and ultimately the supreme court

remember though, Bush has put judges on against abortion (Alito and Roberts) and McCain has pledged to do the same (no activist judges was his quote). Republicans against abortion are trying to put the SCOTUS in position to make a judgment in the future against abortion rights.

So, it probably wont happen under McCain, but he will definitely try and if a couple judges retire, it will be a lot closer to happening.

ohall
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM

It can be corrected to leave it up to each state however. That is how it should be. The current law is simply bad law. Hopefully when McCain wins he will appoint SCJ's that will correct this wrong.

MoFinz
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I can't listen to Obama on this matter....it's above his pay grade.

Yeah....he Changed....i forgot, but i believe

Dolphan7
09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
No Obama's not using fear, McCain stated what type of justices he'd put on the supreme court..and wade vs roe maybe in trouble if done...

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/02/11/politics/fromtheroad/entry3819847.shtml

So people who are pro choice do have a decision..

Like you I wish abortions go down or go away..but I do think it's the right of the individual to make that choice..It is fear tactic. Most people don't understand how hard it would be to end Roe v Wade. Puting SP Justices on the bench won't do it. Many other things need to happen first.

Obama is playing on peoples fears and you know it, and support it. He is telling people that McCain "will make abortion illegal" according to the original article referencing the latest ad of Obama.

MDFINFAN
09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
It is fear tactic. Most people don't understand how hard it would be to end Roe v Wade. Puting SP Justices on the bench won't do it. Many other things need to happen first.

Obama is playing on peoples fears and you know it, and support it. He is telling people that McCain "will make abortion illegal" according to the original article referencing the latest ad of Obama.

putting the right justices into place is a good start to reversal D7, you have to acknowledge that. Our SC hasnt exactly not been patisan in their decisions..:up: The rest is getting a bill thought congress, Bush had a good chance to do that his first 6 years..but didn't.. I think a filerbuster is the only record if the dem's don't have the numbers if the repub take over again.

Dolphan7
09-18-2008, 05:42 PM
putting the right justices into place is a good start to reversal D7, you have to acknowledge that. Our SC hasnt exactly not been patisan in their decisions..:up: The rest is getting a bill thought congress, Bush had a good chance to do that his first 6 years..but didn't.. I think a filerbuster is the only record if the dem's don't have the numbers if the repub take over again.Most people don't know this MD. Most people will think that McCain will make abortion illegal becasue they heard it on a Obama campaign ad. It is fear mongering.

It is the same type of ploy pubs use with gay marriage to get people to the polls.

Or when we put the fear into our Seniors that SS will go way.