PDA

View Full Version : Prayer in school

The_Dark_Knight
09-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I got this in an email and it's funny how sometimes COMEDY puts things into perspective.

After being interviewed by the school administration, the teaching
prospect said, 'Let me see if I've got this right: 'You want me to go
into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior,
observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor
their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.

You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride. 'You want me to teach them patriotism and good
citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote,
balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.

You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial be behavior, and make sure that they all pass the state exams. 'You wan t me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.

You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a
bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that
qualifies me for food stamps. You want me to do all this and then you
tell me.................'I CAN'T PRAY?'
We sure do ask alot from our teachers. Makes you kind of wonder, huh? :up:

Gonzo
09-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Wonder why they're paid so little, yep.

MDFINFAN
09-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I got this in an email and it's funny how sometimes COMEDY puts things into perspective.
We sure do ask alot from our teachers. Makes you kind of wonder, huh? :up:

It's one of the reason I never considered being a teacher, I had a famility to raise and that salary wasn't going to cut it, even thought I love teaching..

FinFatale
09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
It's one of the reason I never considered being a teacher, I had a famility to raise and that salary wasn't going to cut it, even thought I love teaching..

Well MD at least you stopped to consider the payscale for that job before you decided to become a teacher.......many don't. I feel that if you are going to take on a career you really should be aware of the pay you recieve for that job and if you don't feel you can make it on that pay then don't study that field.

WSE
09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
well, I definitely don't think there should be prayer in schools in any form whatsoever, but I think its easy to agree teachers are underpaid and underappreciated. We ask them to do a lot, and give them very little incentive.

The_Dark_Knight
09-20-2008, 03:53 AM
I just find it humorously ironic...

The Soviet Union falls and they invite God into their society...we win the Cold War and kick God out of ours.

ih8brady
09-20-2008, 08:00 AM
I just find it humorously ironic...

The Soviet Union falls and they invite God into their society...we win the Cold War and kick God out of ours.

Not ironic considering our Constitution never once mentions, let alone declares a loyalty to, God.

The_Dark_Knight
09-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Today's Final Jeopardy category is American Colonial Government and here's the clue:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
30 seconds players...good luck!!

ih8brady
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Today's Final Jeopardy category is American Colonial Government and here's the clue:

And the response is:

What is "that's not in the Constitution at all"?

Yes, we would have also accepted Wrong Document and Wrong Author.

FinFatale
09-20-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't see where Mr.Darkknight says that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness " is in the our Constitution.........it is in the Declaration Of Independence.....howeverrrrrrr .............

Dolphins9954
09-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Declaration of Independence. Not the Constitution. We have freedom of religion in this country. And freedom from religion as well. Even though the majority of the founding fathers were Christians. They did not believe at all in Establishing Christianity as the religion of this country. In fact one of the many reasons the Constitution took so long to be ratified. Was that certain states wanted to make it law that elected officials had to be Christians. The founding fathers said no and this went on for a while until finally these states caved in. The founding fathers felt that this would amount to an establishment of Religion. Which is why there were against it.

That being said. I myself am not a religous person at all. But when I read the lines of the Declaration of Independence. My thoughts are that we have these rights regardless of the Constitution. That we are born with these rights. And that no one can take them away. Unless it's our current government. It can do whatever it wants. The hell with God and the Constitution.

The_Dark_Knight
09-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW it wasn't in the Constitution. I know it was the Declaration of Independence, but here's where you all are missing the point. The SAME MEN who drafted the Declaration were the SAME men that drafted the US Constitution. These were men of faith. These were men who wanted the freedom to practice their religion. These were men who in the first OFFICIAL document of the United States (for practical purposes) acknowledged their "Creator"...not God...not Allah...not Jehovah...not whatever name a person of any other faith calls God. They acknowledged a "Supreme Being"...their "Creator".

And yet here we are, 237 years later playing Monday morning quarterback as to what the intent of the establishment clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution meant. Adams, Madison, Jefferson, Monroe, Henry, Franklin, Washington, Hamilton...they wanted freedom OF religion...not freedom FROM religion.

It astounds me the arrogance of people today. We cite the First Amendment and the establishment clause and twist it's words and meaning around to suit the desires of the vast MINORITY in declaring freedom FROM religion and yet there are COUNTLESS historical documents from these founding fathers acknowledging God and the only logical assumption is that they did want a repeat of England when Henry VIII established the Anglican Church as the OFFICIAL church of England. They did not want to see the establishment of the Church of the United States and the persecution of those who did not subscribe to any such established church. That was the reason they travelled across the ocean to the colonies and left England in the first place, to escape religious persecution.

Today, Christians of every denomination, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Wiccans and all other faiths practice their religion FREELY without any interference from the governemnt due to the establisment clause...except of course, when the government rules that your religion offends me and tells says you can't celebrate Christmas or Hannikah or Eid al Faya...because we don't want to offend those who aren't of your religion.

That's the Constitution guys...not conservatism...not liberalism...not republican, not democrat...but the Constitution, which is cited so frequently...and yet so little is known about the document itself, nor the intent of the men who wrote it. Cherry picking to fit what someone wants.

I'd have more respect for those who want the government, federal, state or local to have nothing to do with religion to come right out and say just that...and propose a Constitutional Amendment that states just that rather than trying to decypher what men of faith who drafted the document intended in the first place.

Dolphins9954
09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW it wasn't in the Constitution. I know it was the Declaration of Independence, but here's where you all are missing the point. The SAME MEN who drafted the Declaration were the SAME men that drafted the US Constitution. These were men of faith. These were men who wanted the freedom to practice their religion. These were men who in the first OFFICIAL document of the United States (for practical purposes) acknowledged their "Creator"...not God...not Allah...not Jehovah...not whatever name a person of any other faith calls God. They acknowledged a "Supreme Being"...their "Creator".

And yet here we are, 237 years later playing Monday morning quarterback as to what the intent of the establishment clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution meant. Adams, Madison, Jefferson, Monroe, Henry, Franklin, Washington, Hamilton...they wanted freedom OF religion...not freedom FROM religion.

It astounds me the arrogance of people today. We cite the First Amendment and the establishment clause and twist it's words and meaning around to suit the desires of the vast MINORITY in declaring freedom FROM religion and yet there are COUNTLESS historical documents from these founding fathers acknowledging God and the only logical assumption is that they did want a repeat of England when Henry VIII established the Anglican Church as the OFFICIAL church of England. They did not want to see the establishment of the Church of the United States and the persecution of those who did not subscribe to any such established church. That was the reason they travelled across the ocean to the colonies and left England in the first place, to escape religious persecution.

Today, Christians of every denomination, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Wiccans and all other faiths practice their religion FREELY without any interference from the governemnt due to the establisment clause...except of course, when the government rules that your religion offends me and tells says you can't celebrate Christmas or Hannikah or Eid al Faya...because we don't want to offend those who aren't of your religion.

That's the Constitution guys...not conservatism...not liberalism...not republican, not democrat...but the Constitution, which is cited so frequently...and yet so little is known about the document itself, nor the intent of the men who wrote it. Cherry picking to fit what someone wants.

I'd have more respect for those who want the government, federal, state or local to have nothing to do with religion to come right out and say just that...and propose a Constitutional Amendment that states just that rather than trying to decypher what men of faith who drafted the document intended in the first place.

They intended no Establishment of Religion. Which I think is clear. I don't think the government should be involved with church or Religion. Just as much as I don't think Church and Religion should be involved with the government. You don't need a Constitutional Ammendment for that. School Prayer is a trivial issue. That gets overblown and used a Political Wedge tool. No Establishment of Religion is the intention. If you want to pray then pray. I don't think it's the government responsibility to set up the time and place for you to pray. Isn't a "moment of silence" enough?

Gonzo
09-21-2008, 12:04 AM
I never saw this thread going in this direction...:lol:

shula_guy
09-21-2008, 12:52 AM
the thread title is very misleading. The point has nothing to do with religion being taught in schools and if I was a good mod I would give you an infraction for such deceptive behavior. Because we are discussing politics I'm letting it slide because deception is not only accepted but expected as well, in politics.

The humor nor did the point of your post go unnoticed however. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and more then likely be in the minority with my opinion. The politically correct line of speech is " those poor underpaid teachers being asked to achieve the impossible".

My own story illustrates my point better then I can explain so here it goes:

I am a high school drop out with a college degree. I did not drop out because I was forced too. I was a cocky arrogant smart Aleck. Plain and simple not stupid but a punk. I defied authority and challenged rules. Honestly some of my deviant behavioral tendencies were linked to my attempt to be socially accepted. In other words I was more motivated to be disruptive then I was to excel in classes. My story by the way, is not novel or unusual, I hear it often. I was not inspired to excel and be an excellent student.

When I left school I was elated to be free from the uselessness of it. Then one day out of dumb luck, I was put into a situation where I needed to return to school. I approached it with the same arrogant attitude that I developed from my past, but something new happened. I was enrolled in college now, it was different from the school I knew. I found myself being treated as an adult. I was learning in a new format. The safety net was no longer in place. I was expected to either demonstrate comprehensive skills or fail at my own expense. I was no longer a prisoner to the system. I was now a volunteer who willingly signed on for it. I was no longer killing time while I waited for teachers to stop reviewing things for slower students. I was now in a position of challenge to keep up because I knew tomorrow's lessons was going to be an elaboration on yesterdays class. I knew no one was waiting for me to catch up. I was expected to keep up or get left behind.

Anyways I'm rambling on n on. My point is this. Underpaid, under qualified teachers is not the problem here. The problem is that teachers are handcuffed into trying to teach kids to learn using a broken system. Now I'm not exactly advocating changing elementary school formats to match college's, but I am advocating reevaluating and repairing antiquated techniques that no longer posses viable qualities to keep our youth competitive with the rest of the world.

Everyone needs to wake up, put their "America's the greatest" ego aside, and accept we need to make changes and look at the systems in other countries that are surpassing us in results. I can go on but this is beginning to turn into a mini manifesto so I'll stop it here. I think I got my point across at least I hope I have.

Sincerely I hope this post moves your ideas about our educational system away from a fiscal matter and into a technique problem.