PDA

View Full Version : Survey: 4 in 10 say clergy should endorse candidates

BAMAPHIN 22
09-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Four in 10 Americans believe that religious leaders should be permitted to endorse political candidates from the pulpit without risking their organization's tax-exempt status, a new survey by the First Amendment Center shows.

Twenty-two percent of respondents "strongly" agreed and 18% "mildly" agreed that religious leaders should be able to make such endorsements, which are currently prohibited by IRS regulations.

In comparison, 39% strongly disagreed, 15% mildly disagreed and 6% didn't know or refused to answer.

The finding was based on a new question in the Washington-based center's annual "State of the First Amendment" national survey.

When asked to name specific rights guaranteed by the First Amendment, just 15% mentioned religion, the lowest percentage to recall that topic since 2000.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-09-19-clergy-candidates_N.htm

LouPhinFan
09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm one of the 6 that says they shouldn't.

ohall
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
If they want to give up the churches TAX status I say sure let them. Outside of that they have no business endorsing any politicians.

Tetragrammaton
09-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree with the general position of LouPhinFan and even ohall.

FinFatale
09-22-2008, 04:32 PM
"ditto" re: Mr. Ohall's comment

Dolphan7
09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I think churches are fine just sticking to what they are supposed to do, leading people to God through Jesus.

I get enough politics in my life, I don't want it at my church too!

Sometimes I need a break!

Tetragrammaton
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Sometimes I need a break!

Me too. I watch a lot of news, I have four classes on American politics, my parents talk about it, my friends talk about it, campaigns are calling me, every commercial is a campaign ad.

I can't take it!

Dolphan7
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Me too. I watch a lot of news, I have four classes on American politics, my parents talk about it, my friends talk about it, campaigns are calling me, every commercial is a campaign ad.

I can't take it!Take a break, go to church!:wink:

emeraldfin
09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Was very common over here until around 60 or 70 years ago for the cleragy to endorse politicans. Was a very powerful tool in getting people to go out and vote.

I could'nt see anything like that happen in the West these days. Of course in countries like Iran their whole political system is based on the Islamic faith, but I think in a country like the US, where their is such a vast amount of religions and cultures it probably would have little affect.

Blackocrates
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Take a break, go to church!:wink:

Just select the church carefully, some are political machines.

MDFINFAN
09-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Here's where I think the separation of church and state is a must..

Bumpus
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Perhaps I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but why in the world should any individual citizen - regardless of occupation - be denied the right to endorse a political candidate? I mean ... if any moronic celebrity is allowed to endorse the candidate of their choice, then why shouldn't a priest be allowed to do the same?

Now, if this is refering to an entire religion's stance (as opposed to an individual accociated with a religion) then I think the seperation of church and state - and tax status - should apply.

In any event, I still don't understand why it should matter. People should think for themselves and not simply follow another person's endorsement.