PDA

View Full Version : Republicans fret as John McCain tries to show he is ‘prolier than thou’

BAMAPHIN 22
09-21-2008, 11:51 PM
The right fears its man is dumbing down too far in his battle with Barack Obama for working-class votes

REPUBLICANS are concerned that John McCain’s presidential campaign is running on empty populist rhetoric now that a postconvention bounce in the polls provided by the selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate is over.

The White House race has entered a new phase with Republicans and Democrats vying to be “prolier-than-thou” in their appeal to working people.

Palin, the governor of Alaska, still thrills the crowds, but the cultural war unleashed by the moose-hunting hockey mom has led some conservatives to wonder whether the savaging of America’s snooty, overeducated liberal “elite” has gone too far.

McCain’s attack on Wall Street “greed and corruption” and call for greater regulation in response to last week’s financial crisis has added to concerns about the tenor of his campaign. A Wall Street Journal editorial warned that he would “never beat Obama by running as an angry populist like Al Gore, circa 2000”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4794845.ece

MDFINFAN
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
The right fears its man is dumbing down too far in his battle with Barack Obama for working-class votes

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4794845.ece

People always talked about Obama kicking people under the bus, McCain is going so far to distance himself from Bush, that he's kicking all the repub's stances under the bus with the repubs..even the McCain and associates commercials are starting to make me laugh, where he's calling congress associates insteading saying Me, and the repubs in congress.. He's not even calling for them to get voted for...that's burying them under the bus..

Tetragrammaton
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
The Palin-convention bounce didn't last. It is almost October and Obama polls an average of 5 points ahead. McCain is just playing for the history books at this point.

Dolphan7
09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I think the debates will be the final indicator as far as the polls and the outcome of this election. I still think it will be a close one.

MDFINFAN
09-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I think the debates will be the final indicator as far as the polls and the outcome of this election. I still think it will be a close one.

I agree. it's close the debates and whatever October suprise will sway this thing one way or the other... this time we've had a September suprise.. that's help sway it Obama's way for the time being.

BlueFin
09-22-2008, 04:18 PM
The Palin-convention bounce didn't last. It is almost October and Obama polls an average of 5 points ahead. McCain is just playing for the history books at this point.

Thats laughable, all anyone needs to remember is recent history to know that the left wing biased polls always slant towards the Dem's. And in spite of that, the more respected polls show a margin of 1-4 %, not 5, and of course they all carry a margin of error that eliminates the difference all together for all practical intent.

We all remember the large poll leads of Gore and Kerry this time 4 and 8 years ago, any left winger who thinks they have this in the bag is fooling themselves.

ohall
09-22-2008, 11:16 PM

The 527's IMO will decide this election. They did the job the last election and that is probably how it will go from now on until the rules are changed. These groups can go places the candidates are un-willing to go. If we didn't have 527's we wouldn't have found out the truth when it came to John Kerry.

As far as it being close, the only way it is close is if Obama is ahead 6-7 points in the national polls. I think there is a hidden vote going on here. I think a lot of ppl are saying they are going to vote one way when asked by pollsters and will vote another way when they are alone voting. I think there are a lot of Americans that have major concerns with Obama and the whole Rev. Wright thing and how often Obama plays the race card. He did it again this past weekend on 60 minutes. His comments about certain ppl clinging to their guns and bibles won't help him either.

Tetragrammaton
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Thats laughable, all anyone needs to remember is recent history to know that the left wing biased polls always slant towards the Dem's. And in spite of that, the more respected polls show a margin of 1-4 %, not 5, and of course they all carry a margin of error that eliminates the difference all together for all practical intent.

We all remember the large poll leads of Gore and Kerry this time 4 and 8 years ago, any left winger who thinks they have this in the bag is fooling themselves.

I find it ironic that you mention that Gore led national polls. Of course he did, he won the vote nationally!

And you are either misinformed or making up your information about Kerry. At this time in the election, Kerry was down 52 to 44 by Gallup, the same "liberal poll" that has Obama with a 6-7 point lead.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/special/polls/index.html

The_Dark_Knight
09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I get such a laugh out of some of you when it comes to poll numbers. When your guy is up in the polls, you're quick to point it out and brag the point how your guy is going to win because of that poll.

When your guy is down in the polls, you point the electoral poll and how this number reflects this, that, or the other.

Personally, I think national polls have a bearing on the election as the coverage that's given to these rallies those whose guy in down in the polls to get out and vote.