PDA

View Full Version : Obama Touts Failed Federal Program

FinFatale
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Senator Obama launched a major education counter-offensive today, in a speech laying out his vision for the future of American schooling (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/09/obama_education_speech_in_ohio.html). Calling for a renewal of the public school system to “meet the challenges of a new time,” Obama held up the National Defense Education Act of 1958 as a model for what he has in mind. He told the Dayton, Ohio crowd that “Eisenhower doubled federal investment in education after the Soviets beat us to space. That’s the kind of leadership we must show today.”
:unsure:http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/09/09/obama-touts-failed-federal-program/

MDFINFAN
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
:unsure:http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/09/09/obama-touts-failed-federal-program/

Isn't he talking more about the spirit of renewal of the school system, than the actual plan of the 50's, at least when I heard him said that, that's the impressiong I got..

ohall
09-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Isn't he talking more about the spirit of renewal of the school system, than the actual plan of the 50's, at least when I heard him said that, that's the impressiong I got..

What's the difference?

MDFINFAN
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
What's the difference?

As they always say the proof's in the puttin.. I don't think the actual ingredients will be the same as the 50's plan, but the idea of getting better shools will be..thus the spirit of the idea..:up:

Dolphan7
09-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Of course. But had McCain brought a failed education plan to bear on this election, the media, libs, dems and the lot would be having a field day with it.

Go figure.

Ok boys and girls - the word of the day is SPIN.

Can you say it?

Let's spell it together shall we? S - P - I - N.

Very good boys and girls.

MDFINFAN
09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Of course. But had McCain brought a failed education plan to bear on this election, the media, libs, dems and the lot would be having a field day with it.

Go figure.

Ok boys and girls - the word of the day is SPIN.

Can you say it?

Let's spell it together shall we? S - P - I - N.

Very good boys and girls.

That's very nonbais of you..:up: Thank you for that...like Obama never gets negative media reports, if that was the case then you wouldn't know anything about him except what he wanted you to know...so pleaaaassssse.
Opps, I'm suppose to be nice this week because the fins won...so let me rephase this..

I don't think that's fair, as both campaigns have fielded their share of unwanted and unnecessary media bais..so I think it's not right to keep the repub talking points of saying that only McCain get negative press..most of what you know, like or dislike about Obama came via media..:up:

Dolphan7
09-22-2008, 03:19 PM
That's very nonbais of you..:up: Thank you for that...like Obama never gets negative media reports, if that was the case then you wouldn't know anything about him except what he wanted you to know...so pleaaaassssse.
Opps, I'm suppose to be nice this week because the fins won...so let me rephase this..

I don't think that's fair, as both campaigns have fielded their share of unwanted and unnecessary media bais..so I think it's not right to keep the repub talking points of saying that only McCain get negative press..most of what you know, like or dislike about Obama came via media..:up:No one is saying it is only McCain getting negative press.

But it is more the point that Obama get to float this plan out there and the reaction is mild, but if McCain had done the same thing, the world would be turned on it's side to over-ridicule, over-analize, and over-expose it.

My point is that it is a double standard.

Where is the negative press for this from the libs, the media, the dems and the progressives and the moderates and the oh yeah the "independents"? Hmmm?

MDFINFAN
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
No one is saying it is only McCain getting negative press.

But it is more the point that Obama get to float this plan out there and the reaction is mild, but if McCain had done the same thing, the world would be turned on it's side to over-ridicule, over-analize, and over-expose it.

My point is that it is a double standard.

Where is the negative press for this from the libs, the media, the dems and the progressives and the moderates and the oh yeah the "independents"? Hmmm?

Well, McCain did float his plan last week and I don't remember an uproar..so let's keep it in prespective, you're doing the repub talking points about media, it's been going on for about 20 years now...so it can't just be Obama, according to the repubs it's every dem.. why should it be negative, his plan isn't any new he hasn't said before.. He's been for up grading schools for awhile now.. I think that's why there no real issue here, other than the right wing trying to make one.. As I said, I heard it as the spirit of what they were trying to do, not the exact same plan... So why is this particular media making more of it than it should be...Hmmmmmm.. We see what we want to see isn't that what you told me..

BlueFin
09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
As they always say the proof's in the puttin.. I don't think the actual ingredients will be the same as the 50's plan, but the idea of getting better shools will be..thus the spirit of the idea..:up:

Its all well and good to talk about improving this and improving that, but they are just words unless you can provide a viable plan as to how it will happen.

Any candidate can promise the moon to try to win elections, and politicians have been doing that since politics began.

The proof is in the pudding, but its not in empty campaign promises. I don't see anything in Obama's history that indicate to me he will accomplish what his speeches claim. In fact, all to often Obama couldn't figure out how to vote on subjects and just voted "present".

He certainly didn't clean up his party's politics in Chicago the way Palin did her's in Alaska for example.

Eshlemon
09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
While it was definately a gaffe (if it was McCain it wouldn't be a gaffe but because he's old and stupid:)) to tie the disappointing NDEA into his vision to successful education investment. But then again, what successful choices does he or any candidate have to compare their federal education programs from the last 50 years with? Including NCLB which while the jury's still out, it's dissapointments are many.

Dolphan7
09-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Well, McCain did float his plan last week and I don't remember an uproar..so let's keep it in prespective, you're doing the repub talking points about media, it's been going on for about 20 years now...so it can't just be Obama, according to the repubs it's every dem.. why should it be negative, his plan isn't any new he hasn't said before.. He's been for up grading schools for awhile now.. I think that's why there no real issue here, other than the right wing trying to make one.. As I said, I heard it as the spirit of what they were trying to do, not the exact same plan... So why is this particular media making more of it than it should be...Hmmmmmm.. We see what we want to see isn't that what you told me..So there is no media bias? Is that what you are saying? Aren't you using the dem talking points to say that it is the pub talking points who say it is bias in the media?

MD you really should know better. I don't subscribe to the pub news machine. I truly am an Independent. I favor neither party, and I am undecided in this election as I have stated all along. In fact I may just vote for myself, because no one can do things better than me I feel sometimes.

But that does not prevent me from seeing the bias in almost every post on this board and in the news in general.

I have D7 talking points, not anyone else's.

You have gone on record as hitching your wagon to the Obama train. Are you prepared to say that you maintain the full spectrum of objectivity required of an Independent?

Blackocrates
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't subscribe to the pub news machine. I truly am an Independent. I favor neither party, and I am undecided in this election as I have stated all along.

Come on D7, you do realize people are going to read this don't you? You don't favor any party? You may be independent as far as not assigning yourself a party but your not independent when it comes to political leanings. I'm the same way.

When you say your undecided, you're not talking about undecided between McCain and Obama right? You're talking about McCain and I guess Barr right?

Dolphan7
09-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Come on D7, you do realize people are going to read this don't you? You don't favor any party? You may be independent as far as not assigning yourself a party but your not independent when it comes to political leanings. I'm the same way.

When you say your undecided, you're not talking about undecided between McCain and Obama right? You're talking about McCain and I guess Barr right?No I mean between Obama and McCain. I am undecided.

Blackocrates
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
No I mean between Obama and McCain. I am undecided.

I can't tell if your being serious or not, I think it's safe to say you're not voting for Obama. You don't even come across as being moderate, neither do I for that matter. As conservative as your posts are I don't see what you'd like in Obama. Same goes for me about McCain. Plus what are you undecided about? Both candidates are opposites of each other. They've put their policy arguments out there a long time ago, what's left to decide?