PDA

View Full Version : Liberals finally have a voice in the media.

Tetragrammaton
09-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I could post a link, but most already know it. Rachel Maddow has been on for a few weeks now, and she is beating Larry King and Keith Olbermann in ratings. It really is incredible how well she is doing.

This site had a pretty spot-on analysis of her rise. She is crafting a style that liberals can actually use. The failure of liberal radio has a lot to do with their attempts to be the leftist version of Rush Limbaugh, a lot like Olbermann has. Instead, Maddow has done something completely different.
http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=channel_changer_08

I have been a Maddow fan for a long time, but unfortunately I haven't been able to watch her show yet. I have seen a few clips, but that is it.

poornate
09-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been watching it and really have enjoyed it... it is not snarky, or attackish... it has had a wide range of guests on... I've enjoyed it a lot... and had no idea who she was before catching the TV show... I hear that she is pretty well known....

Tetragrammaton
09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I've been watching it and really have enjoyed it... it is not snarky, or attackish... it has had a wide range of guests on... I've enjoyed it a lot... and had no idea who she was before catching the TV show... I hear that she is pretty well known....

She had an Air America show for some time. She was a commentator for some time, and subbed in for Olbermann a lot before she got her show. They fired the other guy specifically to get her in there.

poornate
09-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't watch talking heads so much... I've only seen Olberman a few times... I never listened to Air America... I'm sure it was on in DC... I don't do radio so much, either... I'm more of a music and book on cd type of guy.... I actually have her show on now... pretty good...

animay
09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Finally? Are you kidding me ? Besides fox what media outlets aren't liberal. CBS NBC ABC CNN MSNBC (redundant) CNBC headline news both also redundant all liberal all the time

poornate
09-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Finally? Are you kidding me ? Besides fox what media outlets aren't liberal. CBS NBC ABC CNN MSNBC (redundant) CNBC headline news both also redundant all liberal all the time

Really? Again?....

BillParFan
09-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I could post a link, but most already know it. Rachel Maddow has been on for a few weeks now, and she is beating Larry King and Keith Olbermann in ratings. It really is incredible how well she is doing.

This site had a pretty spot-on analysis of her rise. She is crafting a style that liberals can actually use. The failure of liberal radio has a lot to do with their attempts to be the leftist version of Rush Limbaugh, a lot like Olbermann has. Instead, Maddow has done something completely different.
http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=channel_changer_08

I have been a Maddow fan for a long time, but unfortunately I haven't been able to watch her show yet. I have seen a few clips, but that is it.

She has a Public policy degree from Stanford.A Rhodes scholarship got her a Doctorate in Political Science from Oxford.

McCain or Palin wouldn't dare go head to head with Maddow.

She would methodically bring them to their knees.:sidelol:

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 12:10 AM
She's just a more masculine version of Olbermann. Same smarmy sarcastic caustic voice as Olbertwitt.
No surprise she beats Olbertwitt....as soon as her novelty wears off, she will take the back seat to Olbertwitt again

poornate
09-25-2008, 12:15 AM
She's just a more masculine version of Olbermann. Same smarmy sarcastic caustic voice as Olbertwitt.
No surprise she beats Olbertwitt....as soon as her novelty wears off, she will take the back seat to Olbertwitt again

See... I don't think so... I can't watch Olberman because it's as bad as watching Hannity jsy on the other extreme... I think he reflects poorly on some things I believe in and I don't like him... I dislike Bush's policies, but he's still my president... I think Olberman goes to far in his commentary to tear down not build up... I have watched Rachel M. 3-4 times, and while she unabashedly offers her views, which are decidedly liberal, she doesn't do it in a smarmy way IMHO, nor is she talking at people, but more talking to them... I've enjoyed it as much as I enjoy any of the talking heads...

The_Dark_Knight
09-25-2008, 04:00 AM
I don't know who Rachel Maddow is. For her to be beating Olbermann in the ratings doesn't say much seeing his on air demeanor and sarcastic antics, but for her to be beating Larry King in the ratings in my view gives her legitamacy.

It would be nice to actually see a liberal voice on air that debates issues with facts and do so without the rancor, sarcasm and condescention that is so prevelent with Olbermann.

Just a question since I don' know who she is...does she have opposing guests on her show when debating issues (ie O'Reilly) or does she have pundits who agree with everything she says (ie Olbermann?)

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't know who Rachel Maddow is. For her to be beating Olbermann in the ratings doesn't say much seeing his on air demeanor and sarcastic antics, but for her to be beating Larry King in the ratings in my view gives her legitamacy.

It would be nice to actually see a liberal voice on air that debates issues with facts and do so without the rancor, sarcasm and condescention that is so prevelent with Olbermann.

Just a question since I don' know who she is...does she have opposing guests on her show when debating issues (ie O'Reilly) or does she have pundits who agree with everything she says (ie Olbermann?)

The times ive seen her...definitely more Olbermannish.....i dont deny she seems very intelligent, but she plays to a particular audience. She isn't interested in opposing views or finding a common ground. It's all lefty, all the time.

Tetragrammaton
09-25-2008, 08:42 AM

Well, so far McCain campaign advisors and McCain himself have refused to go on her show. She actually ran a long list of McCain advisors who had denied requests to come on.

Mr772
09-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Big supprise there I guess she dosen't coddle McCain enough to get a ticket for the front of the McCain bus.

Maybe they can go find which press shelter Palin is hiding under and and see if she can deny another interview too.

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Big supprise there I guess she dosen't coddle McCain enough to get a ticket for the front of the McCain bus.

Maybe they can go find which press shelter Palin is hiding under and and see if she can deny another interview too.

Yeah, right after the debate Fox news gets to host.....:lol:

Tetragrammaton
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, right after the debate Fox news gets to host.....:lol:

That is old news. Obama, the nominee, went on the main program of the network. When will McCain do the opposite?

LouPhinFan
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
That is old news. Obama, the nominee, went on the main program of the network. When will McCain do the opposite?

Obama had an agreement with Fox News on how the interview would go, that's the only reason he was on O'Reilly's show.

Do you seriously think that the liberal dog house that is MSNBC is ever going to make such an agreement with McCain? Riigghhtt...

The_Dark_Knight
09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, so far McCain campaign advisors and McCain himself have refused to go on her show. She actually ran a long list of McCain advisors who had denied requests to come on.
Okay...that's ONE. Let me ask this way. Does she regularly have pundits who support her political point on the show or does she have a balance of opposing viewpoints as well??

MoFinz says no.

FinFatale
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Okay...that's ONE. Let me ask this way. Does she regularly have pundits who support her political point on the show or does she have a balance of opposing viewpoints as well??

MoFinz says no.

If you run a " search " on her you will see clips of her show. As far as a balance, I didn't see it when I watched some of her clips.

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Obama had an agreement with Fox News on how the interview would go, that's the only reason he was on O'Reilly's show.

Do you seriously think that the liberal dog house that is MSNBC is ever going to make such an agreement with McCain? Riigghhtt...

Plus, Obama got seen by more than twice the audience on Fox than McCain would be seen by on MSNBC....tell me how that makes sense too ;)

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
The times ive seen her...definitely more Olbermannish.....i dont deny she seems very intelligent, but she plays to a particular audience. She isn't interested in opposing views or finding a common ground. It's all lefty, all the time.

Come on, she's had Pat Buccanon on her show a couple of times already and she's just starting out, she's tried to get some of McCain's ppl in, but they turn her down..so TDK, yes she has opposing views on her show..man I don't know why you guys just can't answer honestly... If you put Pat B. on your show and you're a liberal, that defintely represent Opposition...:rolleyes:

FinFatale
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Come on, she's had Pat Buccanon on her show a couple of times already and she's just starting out, she's tried to get some of McCain's ppl in, but they turn her down..so TDK, yes she has opposing views on her show..man I don't know why you guys just can't answer honestly... If you put Pat B. on your show and you're a liberal, that defintely represent Opposition...:rolleyes:

Pat Buchanan is a political analyst and regular contributor on MSNBC. He isn't exactly loved by fellow conservatives.............why wouldn't she have him on????

poornate
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
... She does have conservative viewpoints on her show... but she doesn't opt for that whole Fox fake balance thing... she is liberal and makes no bones about it... but where she differs is that she is not on that constant "I'm smarter than you" type of tirade that I see the liberal pundits fall into... I like the show... It is smart and funny, without being condescending... I am drawn to any of the intelligent pundits... doesn't matter what side of the fence they are on... I loved Buckley, Jr... I like Gergen...I like smart people that say smart things... Even when I disagree....

poornate
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Pat Buchanan is a political analyst and regular contributor on MSNBC. He isn't exactly loved by fellow conservatives.............why wouldn't she have him on????

Pat b. isn't loved by his mother, so what's the point... he's still a hardline conservative...

The_Dark_Knight
09-25-2008, 12:08 PM
As long as she's not another Olberman. I stare at my Glock when I force myself to watch him and ask myself, "would a bullet REALLY hurt my head?" :lol:

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm being dishonest? Wow.....lemme know next time you're in my house watching the tube with me, i'll make sure i keep the beer on ice you enjoy.

I admitted i have watched her a handfull of times, and she hasn't had anyone i'd consider an opposing viewpoint on yet. I believe you if you say she had Buchannan on, sorry you don't believe me when i tell ya what i've seen.
:(

phinfan3411
09-25-2008, 12:12 PM

MD, I believe what we are trying to find out would be, are their opposing views on every show, or does she just want a conservative to beat up on once a month?

When I had hbo, I used to think Politically Incorect was funny, he used to have one conservative guest a week, along with two liberal guests. I enjoyed watching it, honestly. I have not watched this show, like many conservatives on this site, and I gather they were trying to figure out what is what.

Speaking of being honest, I remember you telling me how "conservative" you were (remember that?), and that you supported Ron Paul etc..... What I have observed is you taking the left wing on every arguement on this forum, am I mistaken?

So, I guess I will agree with you, why can't you guys answer honestly?

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 12:14 PM
MD, I believe what we are trying to find out would be, are their opposing views on every show, or does she just want a conservative to beat up on once a month?

When I had hbo, I used to think Politically Incorect was funny, he used to have one conservative guest a week, along with two liberal guests. I enjoyed watching it, honestly. I have not watched this show, like many conservatives on this site, and I gather they were trying to figure out what is what.

Speaking of being honest, I remember you telling me how "conservative" you were (remember that?), and that you supported Ron Paul etc..... What I have observed is you taking the left wing on every arguement on this forum, am I mistaken?

So, I guess I will agree with you, why can't you guys answer honestly?

From what I've seem she pretty much has the same format every night, that includes trying to have opposing views, hince is why Buccanon has been on so much, she can't get mcCain's ppl to come on, so she has to scamble and get what ever conservative she can, and Pat's been her most consistent player, and you guys know Pat is Pat..

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM

so Obama made an agreement that O'Reilly could jump up and down and push him more than O'Reilly went after H. Clinton and McCain.. I assumed you saw his interview with them, now contrast that with the interview with Obama, do you think Obama got a softball interview compared to the other 2.. Please answer honestly.. I'm waiting to hear this.. Who do you think had the hardest interview, especially since fox thinks all Obama's interviews have been softball, like the ones they do with McCain.

ohall
09-25-2008, 01:45 PM

What is that supposed to prove? That's like saying Scarborough is still a CON.

ohall
09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Pat b. isn't loved by his mother, so what's the point... he's still a hardline conservative...

He's far right, very far right. People like him give CON's a bad name. Most CON's do not share his views when it comes to trade and the border.

That's why MSNBC has him on their air ways. He is there to make CON's look like they would eat babies.

LouPhinFan
09-25-2008, 02:02 PM
so Obama made an agreement that O'Reilly could jump up and down and push him more than O'Reilly went after H. Clinton and McCain.. I assumed you saw his interview with them, now contrast that with the interview with Obama, do you think Obama got a softball interview compared to the other 2.. Please answer honestly.. I'm waiting to hear this.. Who do you think had the hardest interview, especially since fox thinks all Obama's interviews have been softball, like the ones they do with McCain.

It was widely reported that Obama made an agreement with Murdock before going on O'Reilly's show. I'm not saying it was good or bad, I'm just saying that paved the way for Obama to be on FNC. The peacock network isn't inclined to make such an agreement with McCain.

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 02:36 PM
It was widely reported that Obama made an agreement with Murdock before going on O'Reilly's show. I'm not saying it was good or bad, I'm just saying that paved the way for Obama to be on FNC. The peacock network isn't inclined to make such an agreement with McCain.

But if you can't say what the agreement was, how can you say msnbc isn't willing to do the same for McCain...I don't get it.. we have to know details in order to make that assessment.

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 02:39 PM
But if you can't say what the agreement was, how can you say msnbc isn't willing to do the same for McCain...I don't get it.. we have to know details in order to make that assessment.

Really? cuz we don't have details, but you sure want to bash McVain for suspending ops and dealing with the crisis at hand

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Really? cuz we don't have details, but you sure want to bash McVain for suspending ops and dealing with the crisis at hand

Okay, back to my original question to you, what can McCain do about this situation?

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
As long as she's not another Olberman. I stare at my Glock when I force myself to watch him and ask myself, "would a bullet REALLY hurt my head?" :lol:

is that the same affect when you watch hannity?

MoFinz
09-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Okay, back to my original question to you, what can McCain do about this situation?

Asked and answered, in the thread it was asked in of course. Although, since you seem to think me intellectually dishonest, i doubt you'll have much to say other than OBAMATRON....MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE

But seriously..how important are details to you? Is it just for one side and not the other....because Obama is about as detailed as an abstract piece of art

The_Dark_Knight
09-25-2008, 03:02 PM
is that the same affect when you watch hannity?
I'm not getting up at 4am to watch Hannity. I get up that early only if I have to go to work early.

BUT...no, Hannity doesn't have the same effect on me. What has the same effect is when thier show turns into a political Jerry Springer and I can't hear a word either Hannity, Colmes or their guests are saying. That's why I don't watch it even when I am up that early.

MDFINFAN
09-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Asked and answered, in the thread it was asked in of course. Although, since you seem to think me intellectually dishonest, i doubt you'll have much to say other than OBAMATRON....MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE

But seriously..how important are details to you? Is it just for one side and not the other....because Obama is about as detailed as an abstract piece of art

Thanks I read and responded to your post, and details are very important to me, that's why I'm supporting Obama this go round.. I don't think details are important to those supporting McCain...that's just mho...doesn't mean it's true, but as I digest McCain's moves and his judgement, it doesn't add up..and I've made long posts on McCain foreign credentials vs Obama's judgement in foreign affairs...I feel I was correct, as I could back up each point with facts..

Eshlemon
09-25-2008, 03:09 PM

When the Senate Majority Leader states "No one knows what to do"...question is why every Senator doesn't come running back to DC.

BillParFan
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
When the Senate Majority Leader states "No one knows what to do"...question is why every Senator doesn't come running back to DC.

It's bee so long since McCain showed up for a Senate vote, he must have lost his way.

How else can you explain why McCain ended up in NY this morning to give a speech while other senators at 10am were working on the bill?

Guess he forgot he "suspended" his campaign.