PDA

View Full Version : Obama Handled the Situation Perfectly

BAMAPHIN 22
09-26-2008, 04:51 PM
What a contrast yesterday. First, out comes McCain, looking drawn, jittery, and (to my admittedly jaundiced eye) guilty, with his announcement that he doesn’t want to debate on Friday because the financial crisis is too awful for a thing like politics to occur. He reads his statement and exits quickly. A couple of hours later, Obama appears. He looks and sounds like a President of the United States. He is preternaturally calm. He explains the chronology of the day: he called McCain at 8:30, the call was returned at 2:30, they discussed the idea of putting out a joint statement about the crisis. He says not a word about postponing the debate.

Then, unlike McCain, Obama takes questions. It becomes a full-fledged press conference. He eventually mentions the postponement. He says that during their phone call McCain had said it was something that ought to be looked at, and he had replied that they should get their joint statement out first. He makes it clear, in an offhand way, that McCain had blindsided him, but he does it without rancor. Perhaps there was a miscommunication, he suggests generously. He stresses his agreement with McCain that the crisis is neither Republican nor Democratic but American. He outlines some conditions he would like to see attached to the bailout bill but adds that both parties should refrain from loading it up with extraneous desiderata. He mentions a couple of specific examples of Democratic pet causes, including bankruptcy protection, that he doesn’t think should be in the bill. His manner with respect to the crisis is grave and businesslike, but he treats McCain’s debate-postponement demand as a minor matter that need not be taken too seriously. He notes dryly that both candidates have big airplanes with their names emblazoned and can easily travel to Oxford, Mississippi. He suggests that a potential President ought to be able to cope with more than one problem at a time.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/hendrikhertzberg/2008/09/an-eventful-day.html

MDFINFAN
09-26-2008, 06:45 PM
That about summed it up...

Dolphins9954
09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Obama can cure cancer and Aids at the same time. While personally fighting in the front lines of war with Iran and Pakistan. And solve the Israeli/Palestinian conflict in one second. Solve the problems of Africa, Dafur and poverty around the world. Fix our Healthcare and Social Sercurity. Fix our Economy, Stock Market and Dollar. No more Debt and Inflation. And do it all with a Balanced Budget.

Obama should just change his name to Jesus already.

MDFINFAN
09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Obama can cure cancer and Aids at the same time. While personally fighting in the front lines of war with Iran and Pakistan. And solve the Israeli/Palestinian conflict in one second. Solve the problems of Africa, Dafur and poverty around the world. Fix our Healthcare and Social Sercurity. Fix our Economy, Stock Market and Dollar. No more Debt and Inflation. And do it all with a Balanced Budget.

Obama should just change his name to Jesus already.

have you forgotten McCain can fix everything...he's been repeating that over and over....Does it bother you that one man has handle himself with some restaint and one has been all over the map... what do you want..

Dolphins9954
09-26-2008, 08:50 PM
have you forgotten McCain can fix everything...he's been repeating that over and over....Does it bother you that one man has handle himself with some restaint and one has been all over the map... what do you want..

Their both the same. Stop trying to fool yourself.

Finfang
09-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Honestly both of these candidates scare the hell out of me. They are both shady.

I have grown tired and weary over trying to decipher the lesser of two evils.

You guys decide.

I'll just sit back and watch it all unravel. :(

Dolphins9954
09-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Honestly both of these candidates scare the hell out of me. They are both shady.

I have grown tired and weary over trying to decipher the lesser of two evils.

You guys decide.

I'll just sit back and watch it all unravel. :(

I've decided that both are evil. And I will not waste my vote on the lesser of two evils. Because voting for the lesser of two evils is still evil. This election is a joke and charade. The only thing that we can hope for besides a revolution. Is that Americans will finally wake up and realize that both parties have nothing to offer us but the same thing.

MDFINFAN
09-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I've decided that both are evil. And I will not waste my vote on the lesser of two evils. Because voting for the lesser of two evils is still evil. This election is a joke and charade. The only thing that we can hope for besides a revolution. Is that Americans will finally wake up and realize that both parties have nothing to offer us but the same thing.

I would call neither evil, they're both American's trying to deal with the complexities of this nation, neither is perfect, but they're trying...If you guys can do a better job, then run for president...

Dolphins9954
09-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I would call neither evil, they're both American's trying to deal with the complexities of this nation, neither is perfect, but they're trying...If you guys can do a better job, then run for president...

Their both trying to solve the problem by doing the same exact thing. This election is a lesser of evils. Like so many before. Evil to me is a Government that taxes to much. Spends to much. Puts us in debt. Takes away our freedom and liberty. And ignores the Constitution. That's evil to me.

MDFINFAN
09-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Their both trying to solve the problem by doing the same exact thing. This election is a lesser of evils. Like so many before. Evil to me is a Government that taxes to much. Spends to much. Puts us in debt. Takes away our freedom and liberty. And ignores the Constitution. That's evil to me.

We're there d9954 and now we have to work our way out.. so this election isn't about lesser of evils it's about direction of our country.. I understand what you're saying but i think the language is bad..

Dolphins9954
09-26-2008, 10:51 PM
We're there d9954 and now we have to work our way out.. so this election isn't about lesser of evils it's about direction of our country.. I understand what you're saying but i think the language is bad..

So telling the truth is bad?

How is this about the direction of the country when both candidates will take us in the same direction?

milldog
09-26-2008, 11:34 PM

How is this about the direction of the country when both candidates will take us in the same direction?

Love them or hate them, its all we got. If were going to come together as a whole we have to accept there is no other alternative. I know I've been guilty of acting childish on some occasions, but so have many of you. If we desire to become the sound, positive country we once were, we ALL need to stop the partisan politics and help come up with a solution that will put us back into good standing with the rest of the world. I yearn for the day that we can put aside politics and stop beating each other up! Look where its got us. I'm sure many of you can't stand me and ditto but......it aint helping! I'll be the first to tell you I'm not always right and sometimes wrong. Why can't we all just get along? Maybe I'm naive but I still believe we live in the best country of all and things will get better! To those of you I've insulted, I'm sorry. Some of you have the ability to push my buttons, I think you know who you are. We're all here because we are fans and we post on these political forumns because we feel strongly about our opinions. We may not like each other but at least in America we can speak our minds. I offer a truce.:beer1:

Dolphan7
09-27-2008, 12:25 AM
[/b]

Love them or hate them, its all we got. If were going to come together as a whole we have to accept there is no other alternative. I know I've been guilty of acting childish on some occasions, but so have many of you. If we desire to become the sound, positive country we once were, we ALL need to stop the partisan politics and help come up with a solution that will put us back into good standing with the rest of the world. I yearn for the day that we can put aside politics and stop beating each other up! Look where its got us. I'm sure many of you can't stand me and ditto but......it aint helping! I'll be the first to tell you I'm not always right and sometimes wrong. Why can't we all just get along? Maybe I'm naive but I still believe we live in the best country of all and things will get better! To those of you I've insulted, I'm sorry. Some of you have the ability to push my buttons, I think you know who you are. We're all here because we are fans and we post on these political forumns because we feel strongly about our opinions. We may not like each other but at least in America we can speak our minds. I offer a truce.:beer1:United we stand, and divided we will fall.

Good post!

:up:

Mr772
09-27-2008, 03:50 AM

You don't understand the fundamentals if you think these two parties are the same. The past 7.5 years of bush policy have been drastic I'm surprised we still have a constitution after that bum.

I can understand your thinking in that they are both politicians but the pictures they paint of our nation are very different.

Dolphins9954
09-27-2008, 10:28 AM
You don't understand the fundamentals if you think these two parties are the same. The past 7.5 years of bush policy have been drastic I'm surprised we still have a constitution after that bum.

I can understand your thinking in that they are both politicians but the pictures they paint of our nation are very different.

Iraq.
Iran.
Pakistan.
Afghanistan.
War.
Debt.
Big Government.
Patriotic Act.
FISA.
700 billion dollar bailout.
The Federal Reserve.
Fiscal and Monetary policies.