PDA

View Full Version : An Election About Nothing

BAMAPHIN 22
09-26-2008, 08:04 PM
All Presidential elections are important, of course, and they're usually important for reasons that nobody sees coming during the election itself. But given the evidence presented to date - the enormous constraints on American action abroad, a fiscal situation that more or less ensures that neither candidate's boldest ideas are likely to get off the ground, and the unimaginative, substance-averse politicking of the candidates themselves - there's good reason to think that the outcome of this election won't be nearly as transformational as many people seem to think. Partisans on both sides claim that we're staring into the abyss: If you listen to some conservatives, you'd think that John McCain and Sarah Palin are all that stands between turning over U.S. foreign policy to William Ayers and Jeremiah Wright; if you listen to some Obamaphiles, you'd think that a vote for McCain is a vote for fascism, or theocracy, or the Putinization of America. But if you watch the candidates themselves, and listen to them, the stakes seem much, much lower.

http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/an_election_about_nothing.php

Dolphins9954
09-26-2008, 08:14 PM
http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/an_election_about_nothing.php

Great article. This is something that I've been hammering away every day on this board. You have no choice. There is no difference. Both candidates and parties have nothing to offer besides the same thing. I think the next 4 years will lay the groundwork for a third party or independent candidate. All we can hope for is that McBama doesn't screw the country up beyond fixing. Cross your fingers.

Dolphan7
09-27-2008, 12:38 AM
I have said this many times. This next President will be a fix the problem type of Presidency, not by choice, but by necessity. At this time in America we don't need a bunch of new spending programs. Not now. Maybe later, but not right now. We need to focus on our economy and our fiscal discipline in Washington.

This recent financial fiasco has basically rendered any grandiose plans by either candidate moot and pointless.

There really is a difference in which candidate will make the most reforms and changes in the finance department.

When you look at it like this there really is only one choice for President.

MDFINFAN
09-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I have said this many times. This next President will be a fix the problem type of Presidency, not by choice, but by necessity. At this time in America we don't need a bunch of new spending programs. Not now. Maybe later, but not right now. We need to focus on our economy and our fiscal discipline in Washington.

This recent financial fiasco has basically rendered any grandiose plans by either candidate moot and pointless.

There really is a difference in which candidate will make the most reforms and changes in the finance department.

When you look at it like this there really is only one choice for President.

I disagree, of course, :sidelol:, I think you fix the existing problems, but you have to move us in a new direction, so that we don't get in these problems, to do nothing new, would only doom us to the same fate. You have to put money where we need to go, regularless of the present problems.

Dolphins9954
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I disagree, of course, :sidelol:, I think you fix the existing problems, but you have to move us in a new direction, so that we don't get in these problems, to do nothing new, would only doom us to the same fate. You have to put money where we need to go, regularless of the present problems.

Spending and Debt is something new?

That's exactly what got us into this problem. And to continue it will doom our fate. Your're trying to put out a fire with gasoline.