PDA

View Full Version : Smith hit on Boldin

emeraldfin
09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b2d727

I really do hope he did'nt mean this.

milldog
09-28-2008, 08:52 PM
He completely launched into him with his helmet. I don't enough about Smith to say he's a dirty player but he should and will be suspended and fined for sucha horrible act. It's not like he launched into him with his shoulder. I have a feeling the NFL will come down hard on him and rightly should!

Finfang
09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Latest I heard Boldin was moving his extremities and was talking. They sent him to hopital as a precaution. That is good news.

Definitely an illegal hit. He led with his helmet and launched. A flag should have been thrown on the play. Anyhow Smith's wallet will be lighter real soon.

Dtronic
09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
It looked like Smith knocked himself out too with that hit on replays. He should be suspended as well as fined. It was ugly.

DolfanDaveInATX
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
The hit turned out as badly as it did for Boldin because one of the Jet players hit Boldin in the back while Boldin was in the air, forcing Boldin's head down into Smith's helmet. That may mitigate it enough to where there's no suspension.

But I had flashbacks to Kenoy Kennedy on Chris Chambers.

shula_guy
09-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey it was a tough hit. Dirty? Im not sold on calling it dirty. Come over the middle like that and you pay the price. I feel for Boldin but Im not ready to cruicify anyone over what happened.

KlausC
09-29-2008, 01:03 AM
The hit turned out as badly as it did for Boldin because one of the Jet players hit Boldin in the back while Boldin was in the air, forcing Boldin's head down into Smith's helmet. That may mitigate it enough to where there's no suspension.

But I had flashbacks to Kenoy Kennedy on Chris Chambers.

This is how I saw it too. It was an awful looking hit and I pray that Boldin is OK.

I don't think Smith was trying to make a dirty hit, and he doesn't have any history of anything like that so I'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt. If they do decide to fine or suspend him then I'm sure it will be for good reason.

Let's just pray that Boldin is OK.

directFX
09-29-2008, 09:57 AM
When I saw this hit the first time on a replay, I immediately started praying for Anquan.

That hit was devistating.

Lappy
09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
They are both lucky they aren't seriously hurt. Regardless of whether or not he meant to hit him helmet to helmet IMO you need to be in more control over your body. He flew in there helmet first, and I've watched the replay countless times. He didn't need to be so high with the hit and leading with his head.

Hits do happen in football but something like that is dangerous and unnecessary.

A fine and a suspension should be on it's way.

I hope he gets well soon and he doesn't have any lingering effects.

TheCommonMan
09-29-2008, 10:41 AM
There was nothing wrong with that hit. He launched himself tryingt to make a big hit, Boldin got pushed from behind and that forced Boldins head into Smiths...

Not intentional, not dirty...unfortunate, but no fine or suspension. Watch the replay... Smith would have hit Boldin in the chest with his facemask if he wasn't pushed forward.

Lappy
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
There was nothing wrong with that hit. He launched himself tryingt to make a big hit, Boldin got pushed from behind and that forced Boldins head into Smiths...

Not intentional, not dirty...unfortunate, but no fine or suspension. Watch the replay... Smith would have hit Boldin in the chest with his facemask if he wasn't pushed forward.

I think you should watch the replay agian! He would have hit him in the chin regardless. He was high and leading with his head. They met almost at the same time. Sure Boldin was hit from behind but there is no way his head came down 1 foot!

It was an out of control hit and he was too high and leading with his head.

Jetsfan0099
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Saying Smith should be suspended? I've seen dirty hits and his was not one..... I've seen enough of Smith to say hes not a dirty player. He was just trying to put a hit on Boldin and it came out that way, I blame the Cardinals coaches for leaving Boldin and other starters in when their is 30 seconds left and your down 21 points....

Lappy
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Saying Smith should be suspended? I've seen dirty hits and his was not one..... I've seen enough of Smith to say hes not a dirty player. He was just trying to put a hit on Boldin and it came out that way, I blame the Cardinals coaches for leaving Boldin and other starters in when their is 30 seconds left and your down 21 points....

I'm not saying it was a dirty hit. I really don't think Smith has been or is that type of player to intentionally hurt a guy, but he was high with the hit and IMO out of control.

A suspension and a fine is a must here to send a message that these types of plays are not tollerated. It's for the safety of the entire league.

MR NFLFAN
09-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I thought both jets players speared and both should be fined/suspended.

Here's the hit http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b2d727

directFX
09-29-2008, 12:35 PM
He launched himself at Boldin leading with his head....the tape is clear.

Watch Smith.....he spots the ball coming and knows he cannot make a play, so his head turns to the reciever. He knows immediately that Boldin is tracking the ball and not him, so he has a clean shot.

Smith then put his head down and launched himself at Boldin high.

Only a JET fan would see that as unintentional. Dirty? I wouldn't go that far.....I dont think Smith wanted to hurt him, but he wanted to lay the wood to him.

djfresh47
09-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know what the intent was but he definately led with his head. He shouldn't be suspended. Though

directFX
09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't know what the intent was but he definately led with his head. He shouldn't be suspended. Though

?

Bro, leading with your head is an automatic suspension now.

ChambersWI
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
don't think it was dirty, but it was definatly reckless based on slow-mo replays. JMO but it looks like Smith put his head down and launched himself; probably just trying to jar the ball lose, and he probably would've hit Bolden in the chest had Bolden not been hit in the back.

Still, it was a defenseless WR which is a fine, and the league is now suspending people for what they feel is an unneeded hit (look at Eden from Tampa Bay). So if the league determines it was unneeded, he might be suspended (don't think he will, but he will probably be fined)

kilgore Trout
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
As per ESPN's Chris Mortensen:

Eric Smith fined $50k and suspended one game. No link yet.

djfresh47
09-29-2008, 09:58 PM
?

Bro, leading with your head is an automatic suspension now.

I disagree with alot of what Roger Gooddell has done. The suspension is IMO a reaction to the end result which was Boldin being knocked out.

shula_guy
09-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Lets just change the nfl to a flag league so noone hits anyone anymore. This game is becoming so watered down and offensivly bias that it is shamefull. Did he lay into him, absolutely he did. As well as he should of too. Boldin was coming across the middle, in traffic, at the endzone. If my defense isnt layiong wood on the guy under those circumstances Im screaming at the tv that my defense is a bunch of pansies. Sorry if I sound cruel but IMO defenses should be allowed to make those big hits on guys. It's really no wonder that we are seeing 90 point games with these rules. It's absolutly garbage to suspend somebody for this. There was nothing dirty or malicous about that hit.

If guys dont want to get hit like that maybe they should not design plays like that. Maybe we should make a rule that a QB cant throw the ball to someone unless there is noone within 10 yrds of his target. They did this same crap to Zach a couple years back too. He layed a good clean hit on a guy a got fined I think 10k for it.

MR NFLFAN
09-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Lets just change the nfl to a flag league so noone hits anyone anymore. This game is becoming so watered down and offensivly bias that it is shamefull. Did he lay into him, absolutely he did. As well as he should of too. Boldin was coming across the middle, in traffic, at the endzone. If my defense isnt layiong wood on the guy under those circumstances Im screaming at the tv that my defense is a bunch of pansies. Sorry if I sound cruel but IMO defenses should be allowed to make those big hits on guys. It's really no wonder that we are seeing 90 point games with these rules. It's absolutly garbage to suspend somebody for this. There was nothing dirty or malicous about that hit.

If guys dont want to get hit like that maybe they should not design plays like that. Maybe we should make a rule that a QB cant throw the ball to someone unless there is noone within 10 yrds of his target. They did this same crap to Zach a couple years back too. He layed a good clean hit on a guy a got fined I think 10k for it.

I disagree. I like hitting as mush as the next fan but not at the expense of a players career. Hits like that can end a players career in an instant. Thats why there is a spearing rule to begin with. Do you really want to see another incident like the Buffalo player last season? As a patriots fan I'll never forget the ending of Darryl Stingley's carrer by Jack Tatum of the raiders. It was senseless. The fact remains at the end of the day this is just a GAME and no one should be left to live the rest of their life in a wheel chair for a GAME.

BigJP
09-30-2008, 07:54 PM
brutal

jetsman
10-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I posted this in another thread about this subject.Smith was going straight into Bolden's chest until Rhodes hit Bolden from behind and drove his head down into the oncoming hit from Smith.Absolutely nothing dirty at all about this play,just players in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Here is an article from former Bills safety Matt Bowen about the hit:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/09/players-journal-the-boldin-hit/

shula_guy
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Does anybody have an update on Boldin? Is he expected to be playing this sunday?

djfresh47
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Does anybody have an update on Boldin? Is he expected to be playing this sunday?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11004135

No decision has been made yet.

jetsman
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
He is out indefinitely.