PDA

View Full Version : GOP Challenges Law Allowing Same-Day Registration

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 02:56 AM
A battle over early voting in Ohio has brought a law passed by that state's Republican-controlled legislature three years ago to be challenged by the GOP before a federal court, while a separate lawsuit brought before the Republican-dominated Ohio Supreme Court is expected to be decided Monday.

The prize could be thousands of traditionally elusive voters in hard-fought Ohio who would have the chance to register and vote on the same day.

The one-stop voting Tuesday through Oct. 6 would be especially convenient for those Democratic-leaning voters who have traditionally had more trouble getting to the polls.

Hmmmm, more traffic stops, in courts already, haven't even counted one vote, and a way to stop the ppl who have it hardest to get to polls.. Ya'll can talk about Obama police, but he's not trying to stop ppl from voting..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/28/politics/main4483617.shtml

phinfan3411
09-29-2008, 05:48 AM
I agree with you on this one, he is in favor of everyone voting as many times as necessary. Dems have their tricks, Republicans have theirs.

phinfan3411
09-29-2008, 05:52 AM
MD, I do not care what you say, you know where I grew up, many people did not have cars, imo if voting is important to you, there should be NO reason why anybody cannot figure out a way to vote.

One thing is for sure though, if the election does not go a certain way, even though both sides use some questionable tactics, I know what will be blamed if Obama loses.

Tetragrammaton
09-29-2008, 09:19 AM
A lot of people end up not registering before the date. I would approve same-day registration and I don't see how someone could be against it.

phinfan3411
09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Are they also pushing no ID? It only makes sense, maybe we can have Obama driving the buses full of un-registered voters that have no ID. Sounds reasonable to me.

FinFatale
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Are they also pushing no ID? It only makes sense, maybe we can have Obama driving the buses full of un-registered voters that have no ID. Sounds reasonable to me.

Good gravy! You need an ID to write a CHECK at the grocery store but they are saying now you might not need one to vote????????????????
what nonsense is that?????????????

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm sure you have to prove who you are..sometimes I think ppl forget how difficult it is for poorer ppl, and that's all races...transportation is really hard for them, if they can get to work, that's where transportation money goes, not extra things like gettting to voting machines, even though they want to...

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree with you on this one, he is in favor of everyone voting as many times as necessary. Dems have their tricks, Republicans have theirs.

Then stop trying to make it seems like it's all Obama...when the repub's have had a history on this kind of stuff...

MoFinz
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
A lot of people end up not registering before the date. I would approve same-day registration and I don't see how someone could be against it.

I'm definitely for it, as long as they can prove their identity and proof of residence...otherwise you leave yourself wide open for Chicago Daly voting practices galore

Tetragrammaton
09-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm definitely for it, as long as they can prove their identity and proof of residence...otherwise you leave yourself wide open for Chicago Daly voting practices galore

Agreed. Security is an issue.

Dolphan7
09-29-2008, 03:25 PM
To me I don't care if it is same day, in advance, early ballot or absentee ballot, YOU have to prove who you are to vote. That requires some sort of picture ID.

A utility bill can be stolen and used to vote, but how would one know the name on the bill is really the person holding the bill?

Photo ID is the only way to go.

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
To me I don't care if it is same day, in advance, early ballot or absentee ballot, YOU have to prove who you are to vote. That requires some sort of picture ID.

A utility bill can be stolen and used to vote, but how would one know the name on the bill is really the person holding the bill?

Photo ID is the only way to go.

I agree, I just see this when the repubs start this stuff..

The GOP is working to keep eligible African-Americans from voting in several states.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/158392/output/print

Dolphan7
09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't think anyone is trying to keep people from voting.

I think people are trying to make sure that when people vote, they vote once, and they verify who they are when they vote.

To accuse one party of seeking to prevent people from voting while excluding the other party of any voter irregularities is absurd.

If one party is doing something wrong, you can safely bet the other is too!

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think anyone is trying to keep people from voting.

I think people are trying to make sure that when people vote, they vote once, and they verify who they are when they vote.

To accuse one party of seeking to prevent people from voting while excluding the other party of any voter irregularities is absurd.

If one party is doing something wrong, you can safely bet the other is too!

Tell that to voters in FL from last election who were kept from voting..especially that pastor..over 20K eligble voters not allowed.. that's just wrong..all on repub challenges.. that were by the way, later on acknowledge as mistakes..yea right, it seems to be a lot of mistake every cycle..and always acknowledged afterwards..:rolleyes:

Megatron
09-29-2008, 04:55 PM
A lot of people end up not registering before the date. I would approve same-day registration and I don't see how someone could be against it. We have same day registration in Canada, it's not an issue.

MoFinz
09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
We have same day registration in Canada, it's not an issue.

Yeah, but thats only cuz y'all offer free Cruellers and Molson at the polls to encourage turnout :up:

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, but thats only cuz y'all offer free Cruellers and Molson at the polls to encourage turnout :up:

Hmmm, maybe we should think of something like that..:wink:

phinfan3411
09-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Then stop trying to make it seems like it's all Obama...when the repub's have had a history on this kind of stuff...

Uhhhh, you started the thread MD, I was replying to it. I would not mind same day registration, under the right circumstances, but absolutely, have to have a ID.

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Uhhhh, you started the thread MD, I was replying to it. I would not mind same day registration, under the right circumstances, but absolutely, have to have a ID.

ahhhhhh, I was responding to your post in another thread oheil obama, did you forget...you make it like Obama was the only ones using tactic's, repubs are famous for stopping ppl from voting.. and then apologize for being wrong after the fact...yea, how convienent..

phinfan3411
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
The

Heil Obama!

was in response to his "truth squad" getting people working for the state, county or federal governments to help "HIM" surpress questionable ads or whatever. One of my questions, who is going to watch him? They both have done it. I would love to have read your posts if the same people had come out for McCain, and said they are going to watch Obama.

I hope this response passes muster of the Obama "truth squad".

Heil Obama!

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
The

Heil Obama!

was in response to his "truth squad" getting people working for the state, county or federal governments to help "HIM" surpress questionable ads or whatever. One of my questions, who is going to watch him? They both have done it. I would love to have read your posts if the same people had come out for McCain, and said they are going to watch Obama.

Heil Obama!

For some reason, I don't think I would have said Heil McVain.. In terms of questionable ads, McVain's ahead of Obama this year, I really think Obama's intentions were to run clean ads, until a certain twrister started running negatives ads, claiming if Obama had done what he said, it wouldn't have happened... come on, if Obama had done his town halls and ran his campaign according to St. John all the ads would have been above board, he'd stop the 527's from running Obama's a muslim ads...yea right.. McVain is pitiful..and defintely a nasty politician... I have no respect for him at all now, and I couldn't have said that in the primaries, I've always had respect for McCain, but now really watching him, my respect level is way down. It's so bad that the lowest media for viewership for the debate was in Phoenix, his home, there ppl said they had seem enough of his bs for years..that's sad. Now I know why AZ is only leaning red and not solid red.

MDFINFAN
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
The

Heil Obama!

Heil Obama!

For some reason, I don't think I would have said Heil McVain.. In terms of questionable ads, McVain's ahead of Obama this year, I really think Obama's intentions were to run clean ads, until a certain twrister started running negatives ads, claiming if Obama had done what he said, it wouldn't have happened... come on, if Obama had done his town halls and ran his campaign according to St. John all the ads would have been above board, he'd stop the 527's from running Obama's a muslim ads...yea right.. McVain is pitiful..and defintely a nasty politician... I have no respect for him at all now, and I couldn't have said that in the primaries, I've always had respect for McCain, but now really watching him, my respect level is way down. It's so bad that the lowest media for viewership for the debate was in Phoenix, his home, there ppl said they had seem enough of his bs for years..that's sad. Now I know why AZ is only leaning red and not solid red.