PDA

View Full Version : The Sarah Palin pity party

BAMAPHIN 22
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Everyone seems to be oozing sympathy for the fumbling vice-presidential nominee. Please. Cry me a freaking river.

Is this the week that Democrats and Republicans join hands -- to heap pity on poor Sarah Palin?

At the moment, all signs point to yes, as some strange bedfellows reveal that they have been feeling sorry for the vice-presidential candidate ever since she stopped speaking without the help of a teleprompter.

Conservative women like Kathleen Parker (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDZiMDhjYTU1NmI5Y2MwZjg2MWNiMWMyYTUxZDkwNTE=) and Kathryn Jean Lopez (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTUzNTM3MDk0MmI3ZWM1N2ZkZDAwZTFmMjA5Nzk3MWM=) are shuddering with sympathy as they realize that the candidate who thrilled them, just weeks ago, is not in shape for the big game. They're not alone. The New Republic's Christopher Orr (http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/26/has-the-mccain-campaign-broken-sarah-palin.aspx) feels that Palin has been misused by the team that tapped her. In the New York Times, Judith Warner feels for Sarah, too! And over at the Atlantic, Ta-Nehisi Coates empathizes (http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/sarah_we_are_not_that_different_you_and_i.php) with intelligence and nuance, making clear that he's not expressing pity. Salon's own Glenn Greenwald (http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/09/25/palin/) watched the Katie Couric interview and "actually felt sorry for Sarah Palin." Even Amy Poehler, impersonating Katie Couric on last week's "Saturday Night Live," (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/couric-palin-open/704042/?dst=nbc|widget|NBC%20Video&__source=nbc|widget|NBC%20Video) makes the joke that Palin's cornered-animal ineptitude makes her "increasingly adorable."

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/09/30/palin_pity/

Tetragrammaton
09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
For all the talk of sexism for attacking her, it is just as sexist to protect her.

Unfortunately, the American public doesn't always see it that way.

BlueFin
09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
I have never seen a political party so obsessed with the VP candidate of the other party.

What is so shocking, is here is the democratic party, supposedly the party of inclusion and liberal progressive ideas, and it goes after this female candidate like a rabid pit bull.

It seems the democratic party's hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Tetragrammaton
09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
What is so shocking, is here is the democratic party, supposedly the party of inclusion and liberal progressive ideas, and it goes after this female candidate like a rabid pit bull.

This is the sexism I am talking about. Why does she get to be above everyone else?

MDFINFAN
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I have never seen a political party so obsessed with the VP candidate of the other party.

That's sexist, when gb1 vp spelled patato wrong, ppl went after him.. The vp is one step away, everyone should examine the whole ticket, we don't know what's going to happen in the future.. you guys are being stubborn if you don't see the problems with this ticket...The head wasn't that good already and then you add this vp....come on..Buefin, I can be stubborn, but I'll acknowledge a mistake when a mistake is made... Take a step back, look at the what everyone is looking at...and tell me with a straight face, this woman is ready to take over the presidency if neccessary..

Dolphan7
10-01-2008, 01:40 AM

It seems the democratic party's hypocrisy knows no bounds.Alas that she would have a capital D next to her name then the woman the left loves to hate becomes the next great woman of the party!

Ah the double standard in effect.

Ferretsquig
10-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Alas that she would have a capital D next to her name then the woman the left loves to hate becomes the next great woman of the party!

So to you she appears to be a smart person?

Blackocrates
10-01-2008, 02:17 AM

:lol:

ih8brady
10-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Geico.com: So easy, a hockey mom could do it.

Dude! Not cool, donchya know!

The_Dark_Knight
10-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Well, at least she didn't give us a history lesson how Franklin Roosevelt addressed the nation on television when the Great Depression hit like Biden did when criticizing the lack of leadership from Bush on or current economic crisis.

But then again...I guess it's OK for Biden to confused Roosevelt with Hoover...and television with radio, huh? One heart beat away guys!!! Let's be fair here!!!

But what the hell, let's just keep pounding away on Palin guys. 50 threads attacking her just isn't enough. We'll just forget about that Biden guy and his own incompetence and hope Obama doesn't die in office.

ih8brady
10-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Well, at least she didn't give us a history lesson how Franklin Roosevelt addressed the nation on television when the Great Depression hit like Biden did when criticizing the lack of leadership from Bush on or current economic crisis.

But then again...I guess it's OK for Biden to confused Roosevelt with Hoover...and television with radio, huh? One heart beat away guys!!! Let's be fair here!!!

But what the hell, let's just keep pounding away on Palin guys. 50 threads attacking her just isn't enough. We'll just forget about that Biden guy and his own incompetence and hope Obama doesn't die in office.

Biden's comment was dumb, but at least he is educated. Anachronisms in historical reference is one thing, but he does have a BA in history and political science as well as a JD. Palin skipped from school to school over a six year period and finally received a BS in communications-jounalism. She sought no further higher education and spent little time in the field of sports broadcasting :rolleyes:

We know that Biden knows national politics. It's clear Palin does not. Heck, she described herself as an average hockey mom. She's giving herself too much credit BUT this is an exceptional responsibility she may have and it belongs to an exceptional person. No average joes or janes need apply.

Can you seriously name a national figure more embarassing than Palin in your lifetime?

Do you really think she's not dumb? Couldn't you just say, "I love McCain at the top but he blundered by selecting Palin. She should resign her canidacy and allow a new choice to emerge."?

The_Dark_Knight
10-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Biden's comment was dumb, but at least he is educated. Anachronisms in historical reference is one thing, but he does have a BA in history and political science as well as a JD. Palin skipped from school to school over a six year period and finally received a BS in communications-jounalism. She sought no further higher education and spent little time in the field of sports broadcasting :rolleyes:

We know that Biden knows national politics. It's clear Palin does not. Heck, she described herself as an average hockey mom. She's giving herself too much credit BUT this is an exceptional responsibility she may have and it belongs to an exceptional person. No average joes or janes need apply.

Can you seriously name a national figure more embarassing than Palin in your lifetime?

Do you really think she's not dumb? Couldn't you just say, "I love McCain at the top but he blundered by selecting Palin. She should resign her canidacy and allow a new choice to emerge."?
Biden should get his money back...

That's why she's appealing...she's not a coniving Washington insider who thinks he's better than everyone else and knows better than everyone else.

And yes I can...President Jimmy Carter...President Richard Nixon...VP Dan Quayle...Sen Ted Kennedy. I can go on and on

Dolphan7
10-01-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't think she is dumb. You don't get to positions as high as hers becasue you don't know what you are doing.

Look - I don't like some of her answers. I also don't like some of the interrogators, err I mean interviewers and their questions.

I say again I think she is being pressured to put too much into every answer and she just rambles.

She to me seems unpolished in a political Washingtonian way, the way we are used to. Certainly lacks a lot of history and experience of being in Washington for years and years, except Obama who has only been in Washington for what like 3 years?

Doesn't mean she won't bring a fresh set of eyes to DC, and look at things from an outsiders perspective.

I would have rather had Rice on the ticket over Palin though.

Besides you missed the point ferret - if she was a Democrat, the dems/libs would be all over her like white on rice.

BlueFin
10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
This is the sexism I am talking about. Why does she get to be above everyone else?

Not saying she does, but the end result of the left's behavior on this will backfire I believe .

milldog
10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Not saying she does, but the end result of the left's behavior on this will backfire I believe .

Even though there's no way to know, if she was a dem and on the Obama ticket, you would be ripping her just as hard IMO! Is some of it unfair, sure. But were talking about the Vice Presidency for God's sake. People are fed up with what we've had in office for the last 7 1/2 years and unfortunately for Mr. McCain he happens to represent a alot of the same ideas as GW. Hopefully America doesn't let it continue. I don't think they will!!!

Ferretsquig
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't think she is dumb. You don't get to positions as high as hers becasue you don't know what you are doing.

Why is it that people want to believe this? A long list of incompetent and borderline mentally ill politicians topped off with our current president isn't enough to rid people of the illusion that all people in office are somehow qualified for their position?

Dolphan7
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Why is it that people want to believe this? A long list of incompetent and borderline mentally ill politicians topped off with our current president isn't enough to rid people of the illusion that all people in office are somehow qualified for their position?
Hey if you want to question intelligence and qualifications for people in office go ahead take a whack at it.

My point is that stupid people don't get into office, no matter how stupid partisans try to make the other guy look dumb.

They have to have some level of intelligence. May not be the smartest in the class, but they meet a minimum criterion.

Ferretsquig
10-01-2008, 01:13 PM
My point is that stupid people don't get into office, no matter how stupid partisans try to make the other guy look dumb.

And you really believe this.... That's just sad. Either you and I have a very different viewpoint on what quantifies intelligence or you have some really low expectations.

poornate
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM

How can you not be obsessed? Do you know how terrifying she is to a lot of people? How dangerous she is to the stability of our nation? I don't care what she does or does not have in the genitalia department... It's her, not her sex, that disturbs so many people.... It's not a matter of being progressive... her sex is unrelated to the absurdity that is her candidacy....

Tetragrammaton
10-01-2008, 01:45 PM

True. After all, they are elected by a public who sides with the candidate they would rather have a beer with most of the time.

Dolphan7
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
And you really believe this.... That's just sad. Either you and I have a very different viewpoint on what quantifies intelligence or you have some really low expectations.Oh I guarantee you that we have differing views as to what constitutes intelligence!:wink:

Ferretsquig
10-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Oh I guarantee you that we have differing views as to what constitutes intelligence!:wink:

So just to clarify....you believe that every person who has been elected to office is an intelligent individual?

BillParFan
10-01-2008, 02:33 PM

:rolleyes:

McCain :rip: Palin

Dolphan7
10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
So just to clarify....you believe that every person who has been elected to office is an intelligent individual?Passes a minimal level of intelligence, yes.

Probably a little higher level than what one could find on a football message board!

Let me repeat and clarify again what I think....I don't think dumb people get elected to office.

FinFatale
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Passes a minimal level of intelligence, yes.

Probably a little higher level than what one could find on a football message board!

Let me repeat and clarify again what I think....I don't think dumb people get elected to office.

D7 You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't know what makes some people think that their opinon outmerits anyone elses without being based on FACT and truities.
I have noticed of late that anyone that supports Senator Obama can post whatever they want, opininate what they wish......but if someone, such as yourself, posts anything that doesn't stand in line with what they want to believe then BAM...........they are all over you like white on rice..........yet they don't do what they ask of others.
It kind of peeves me from time to time.

Ferretsquig
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I must say I find that deeply offensive. Personally I'm a big fan of truities and happen to back up every argument I make with at least one.

Dolphan7
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
D7 You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't know what makes some people think that their opinon outmerits anyone elses without being based on FACT and truities.
I have noticed of late that anyone that supports Senator Obama can post whatever they want, opininate what they wish......but if someone, such as yourself, posts anything that doesn't stand in line with what they want to believe then BAM...........they are all over you like white on rice..........yet they don't do what they ask of others.
It kind of peeves me from time to time.That's the POFO for ya. You gotta have a thick skin in here and have a good source of self-confidence and self-esteem from outside in order to be able to withstand the scrutiny on the inside.:up:

LouPhinFan
10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
It sounds like to me some people on here are applying their own standards of intelligence on a woman they have never met. I don't think its unreasonable at all to assume someone who obtains a level in life such as governor or President is somewhat intelligent. Sorry guys, Forest Gump doesn't make it that level. Maybe a small town mayor, or city councilperson, but not that high up on the food chain.

Do I think Palin was the wrong choice? Yes. Do I think she's in over her head? Right now, yes. Do I think she's "dumb"? No.

Do I think Bush has done a horrible job as President? Yes. Do I think he's "dumb"? No.

I think some of you should get down off of your partisan, intellectual high horse.

FinFatale
10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
It sounds like to me some people on here are applying their own standards of intelligence on a woman they have never met. I don't think its unreasonable at all to assume someone who obtains a level in life such as governor or President is somewhat intelligent. Sorry guys, Forest Gump doesn't make it that level. Maybe a small town mayor, or city councilperson, but not that high up on the food chain.

Do I think Palin was the wrong choice? Yes. Do I think she's in over her head? Right now, yes. Do I think she's "dumb"? No.

Do I think Bush has done a horrible job as President? Yes. Do I think he's "dumb"? No.

I think some of you should get down off of your partisan, intellectual high horse.

IMO a very intelligent post!!!

Tetragrammaton
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
It sounds like to me some people on here are applying their own standards of intelligence on a woman they have never met.

Um, of course? Everyone's opinion is their own. Of course, compared to the manager of the local Abercrombie, she is a scholar. But compared to the other three people running, she is a lightweight.

I am not saying she is "dumb". She didn't have the George Bush advantage of getting through life off of her parents. To a degree, she is self-made, which is honorable.

But when you compare her to the Harvard grad, the war hero, and the public servant with a law degree. It took her six years and five colleges to get a degree in journalism, which is a ridiculous major in and of itself.

I would make the bet that 90% of Congress and other governors are more intelligent than her, both in abstract thinking and knowledge of the issues.

But none of us are running for the second highest office in the land.

lemonpepperfish
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Alas that she would have a capital D next to her name then the woman the left loves to hate becomes the next great woman of the party!

You are wrong! What about this woman do you think i could possibly embrace? What about her makes her so great? Its the republican-right that is drooling over her (convention bump?). I would quit my party if they nominated her. She is a joke! Mccain, totally blew it over these last six years. Wrong on everything but a surge which we only needed do to Mccain's poor judgement in goading myself and my country into war along side bush! Support them if you like. It is, after all, your right to cast your vote in privacy. This will keep me from knowing who to laugh at after the election, not for their disappointment at the result, but because somepeople will get hit in the head with a sledgehammer, get the head smashed, then stand back up and put their head right in front of the sledgehammer once again, get their head smashed, and then continue to do the same thing. Sigh. too bad i have to share a country that could be great if so many people weren't so moronic. Yeah, Palin for president. You go guys!

FinFatale
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
You are wrong! What about this woman do you think i could possibly embrace? What about her makes her so great? Its the republican-right that is drooling over her (convention bump?). I would quit my party if they nominated her. She is a joke! Mccain, totally blew it over these last six years. Wrong on everything but a surge which we only needed do to Mccain's poor judgement in goading myself and my country into war along side bush! Support them if you like. It is, after all, your right to cast your vote in privacy. This will keep me from knowing who to laugh at after the election, not for their disappointment at the result, but because somepeople will get hit in the head with a sledgehammer, get the head smashed, then stand back up and put their head right in front of the sledgehammer once again, get their head smashed, and then continue to do the same thing. Sigh. too bad i have to share a country that could be great if so many people weren't so moronic. Yeah, Palin for president. You go guys!

Didn't you say in your first post you did that. Seems you are having a difficult time keeping your posts straight....

Lemonpepperfish from another thread...

yeah, conservatives have done a great job of leading this country! I may be able to keep up with my mortgage if the bottom doesn't completely fall out on my portfolio. Eight years and i may be out almost half a million, all told. Hurray for the right wing!!! Four more years will do me in. Sorry guys, i think i'd be awfully foolish if i put my vote in for four more years. I can only eat so much sht before i have to switch my allegiance. For the first time in twenty years i'm voting democratic. I only wish i had figured this out sooner! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me three times, i must be a real idiot!

Ferretsquig
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM

Its this same stupid logic that people apply to those with wealth. Go meet your representative. Spend five minutes and watch these idiots on cspan and see how many of them can manage to string together multiple coherent sentences. Just because voters were dumb enough to vote for a person doesn't make them intellectually superior.

And yes, we do apply our own standards to our elected leaders. When I'm forced to go down to a guy's office and walk him through the process of opening an attachment in an email and appending an electronic signature it doesn't leave the best impression of his brilliance. I do not compare these people to the majority of the populous which are in large part uneducated imbeciles. I would hope most people would hold their leaders to a higher standard.

lemonpepperfish
10-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah buddy, registered independent out of high-school. thought Bush 1 was right direction, and never trusted clinton. Bush2 seemed the way to go. Gore was trying to take credit for a slew of things he never touched. And 4 years ago i figured Bush2 should at least get a chance to finish what he started. I see the finish now. Going the other way. Good luck in november.

The_Dark_Knight
10-02-2008, 02:05 AM
And yet, Biden is rationalized as being qualified for his education and years in the senate.

The_Dark_Knight
10-02-2008, 02:08 AM
How can you not be obsessed? Do you know how terrifying she is to a lot of people? How dangerous she is to the stability of our nation? I don't care what she does or does not have in the genitalia department... It's her, not her sex, that disturbs so many people.... It's not a matter of being progressive... her sex is unrelated to the absurdity that is her candidacy....
I'm sorry...I thought JOHN McCAIN was running for President, not Sarah Palin.

Let me check the newswires and see if something changed while I slept last night...

Nope, still shows John McCain as the GOP candidate. You can rest easy Nate!! :up:

dolphinzen
10-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Hey if you want to question intelligence and qualifications for people in office go ahead take a whack at it.

They have to have some level of intelligence. May not be the smartest in the class, but they meet a minimum criterion.

Seriously...what about Bush? He's a retard. Seriously.

LouPhinFan
10-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Best to leave personal evaluations about posters to a PM to that poster. Thanks!

Its this same stupid logic that people apply to those with wealth. Go meet your representative. Spend five minutes and watch these idiots on cspan and see how many of them can manage to string together multiple coherent sentences. Just because voters were dumb enough to vote for a person doesn't make them intellectually superior.

And yes, we do apply our own standards to our elected leaders. When I'm forced to go down to a guy's office and walk him through the process of opening an attachment in an email and appending an electronic signature it doesn't leave the best impression of his brilliance. I do not compare these people to the majority of the populous which are in large part uneducated imbeciles. I would hope most people would hold their leaders to a higher standard.

Sorry man but it sounds like you have some issues. Just because someone isn't computer literate doesn't mean they're "dumb". I don't know how to perform open heart surgery. I wonder if a surgeon thinks I'm dumb. I don't know how to read a defense. I wonder if Dan Marino thinks I'm dumb. I know how to build and maintain a computer. The lady in the cubical next to me asked me the other day how to attach an picture to an email so she could send a picture to her son who is on an aircraft carrier of the coast of South Africa. Do I think she's "dumb"? No.

**REMOVED**

Dolphan7
10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
You are wrong! What about this woman do you think i could possibly embrace? What about her makes her so great? Its the republican-right that is drooling over her (convention bump?). I would quit my party if they nominated her. She is a joke! Mccain, totally blew it over these last six years. Wrong on everything but a surge which we only needed do to Mccain's poor judgement in goading myself and my country into war along side bush! Support them if you like. It is, after all, your right to cast your vote in privacy. This will keep me from knowing who to laugh at after the election, not for their disappointment at the result, but because somepeople will get hit in the head with a sledgehammer, get the head smashed, then stand back up and put their head right in front of the sledgehammer once again, get their head smashed, and then continue to do the same thing. Sigh. too bad i have to share a country that could be great if so many people weren't so moronic. Yeah, Palin for president. You go guys!You really should open up more and share your feelings. Come on - tell us how you really feel?:wink:

BlueFin
10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry man but it sounds like you have some issues. Just because someone isn't computer literate doesn't mean they're "dumb". I don't know how to perform open heart surgery. I wonder if a surgeon thinks I'm dumb. I don't know how to read a defense. I wonder if Dan Marino thinks I'm dumb. I know how to build and maintain a computer. The lady in the cubical next to me asked me the other day how to attach an picture to an email so she could send a picture to her son who is on an aircraft carrier of the coast of South Africa. Do I think she's "dumb"? No.

**REMOVED**

Sounds like a pretty fair psycho analysis to me.:up:

Ferretsquig
10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
If you have an issue with a MOD, please use proper procedure, PM them or an Admin. Thanks!

And you would probably vote her into office.... Again, I don't hold elected leaders to the same standards as everyone else, and it boggles the mind that others do. Why are you content to settle with mediocrity?

**REMOVED**Oh they are far from unobtainable. In fact I consider my standards relatively low.

As for the analysis I take no offense, **REMOVED** Now perhaps you understand the views expressed in confidence which offended you so?

LouPhinFan
10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
And you would probably vote her into office.... Again, I don't hold elected leaders to the same standards as everyone else, and it boggles the mind that others do. Why are you content to settle with mediocrity?

Unfortunately it seems that mediocrity is all we have to choose from in this election.

All I'm trying to say is that the argument should be if she's qualified to be the VP of this country or not. Attacking someone's overall intelligence and calling them dumb or stupid or mentally ill isn't fair or warrented. Leave that crap to the late night comics and SNL.

Oh they are far from unobtainable. In fact I consider my standards relatively low.

As for the analysis I take no offense, Now perhaps you understand the views expressed in confidence which offended you so?I went too far making my point in my post. Please accept my apologies. Hopefully the moderators will strike it for me.

Dolphan7
10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Lou - It has been striken from the record, the jury must disregard anything they just heard.:lol:

It has been a busy morning!

Ferretsquig
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Unfortunately it seems that mediocrity is all we have to choose from in this election.

All I'm trying to say is that the argument should be if she's qualified to be the VP of this country or not. Attacking someone's overall intelligence and calling them dumb or stupid or mentally ill isn't fair or warrented. Leave that crap to the late night comics and SNL.

So a person's overall intelligence has nothing to do with how qualified they are to hold office? I don't see how anything could be more important.

ih8brady
10-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Biden should get his money back...

That's why she's appealing...she's not a coniving Washington insider who thinks he's better than everyone else and knows better than everyone else.

So, an average person off the street is worthy of the highest positions of responsibility and authority because they don't come across as arrogant? Here's a hint: ALL modern politicians in America have huge egos. Don't let their propaganda ads fool you.

If you're in national politics, you should know better than everyone else. You're suppose to be a bright, rational and wise individual. That's a given. Being June Cleaver is nice and makes you a good mom, but it doesn't mean you should be placed anywhere near the authority of decisions that directly affect 300 million people and indirectly the entire world.

This isn't about sexism. Hillary Clinton, who I despise, is smart and worthy of being in politics. Condoleeza Rice is educated and experience in national and international politics. Madeline Albright was another undeniably qualified person. I agree or disagree with there women on their actions and positions, but they belong and are worthy of serving and representing this country. They're not pea-brained dolts like Quayle, Bush, or Palin.

And yes I can...President Jimmy Carter...President Richard Nixon...VP Dan Quayle...Sen Ted Kennedy. I can go on and on

Failures? Yes. Are they smarter than a fifth grader? Yes. Palin isn't. She's like the kid who comes home to brag to her parents about getting a F on their report card.

The_Dark_Knight
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
So, an average person off the street is worthy of the highest positions of responsibility and authority because they don't come across as arrogant? Here's a hint: ALL modern politicians in America have huge egos. Don't let their propaganda ads fool you.

If you're in national politics, you should know better than everyone else. You're suppose to be a bright, rational and wise individual. That's a given. Being June Cleaver is nice and makes you a good mom, but it doesn't mean you should be placed anywhere near the authority of decisions that directly affect 300 million people and indirectly the entire world.

This isn't about sexism. Hillary Clinton, who I despise, is smart and worthy of being in politics. Condoleeza Rice is educated and experience in national and international politics. Madeline Albright was another undeniably qualified person. I agree or disagree with there women on their actions and positions, but they belong and are worthy of serving and representing this country. They're not pea-brained dolts like Quayle, Bush, or Palin.

Failures? Yes. Are they smarter than a fifth grader? Yes. Palin isn't. She's like the kid who comes home to brag to her parents about getting a F on their report card.
:sidelol: You kill me Brady...you really do!!! whoa...hang on a sec...:sidelol:...ok got it out of my system!!

Ok, first and foremost...:lol:...oops, last minute laugh there. Could the average Joe off the street be President? If that person has common sense, good leadership skills and can organize and multi-task? Yes!! Now, you ready to know why?

I'm going to let you and everyone else in here in on a little secret. Presidents don't know much about anything. Sure, they maybe "specialize" in the economy or education, or foreign affairs, but no President knows everything about everything. That's why they have...ready for this? Here's the secret...they have advisors!!!

Presidents don't have "power" so to speak...they have advisors...and they do exactly what they're advisors tell them to do. If it works, they're a Reagan, Kennedy or Roosevelt. If it doesn't...:unsure:...hmmmmm, Carter, Johnson, Hoover, Coolidge come to mind.

Now, I don't care what you say in rationalizing your opinion of Palin. At what, 42? 43? years of age you don't go from a small town mayor to a governor of a state like Alaska riddled with special interests, put them in check and have a 60-80% approval rating and even be CONSIDERED for the VP nomination without being smarter than a 5th grader!!

You're smarter than a 5h grader, but somehow I doubt you (or I for that matter) could do what she's done.

ih8brady
10-03-2008, 10:45 AM
:sidelol: You kill me Brady...you really do!!! whoa...hang on a sec...:sidelol:...ok got it out of my system!!

Ok, first and foremost...:lol:...oops, last minute laugh there. Could the average Joe off the street be President? If that person has common sense, good leadership skills and can organize and multi-task? Yes!! Now, you ready to know why?

I'm going to let you and everyone else in here in on a little secret. Presidents don't know much about anything. Sure, they maybe "specialize" in the economy or education, or foreign affairs, but no President knows everything about everything. That's why they have...ready for this? Here's the secret...they have advisors!!!

Presidents don't have "power" so to speak...they have advisors...and they do exactly what they're advisors tell them to do. If it works, they're a Reagan, Kennedy or Roosevelt. If it doesn't...:unsure:...hmmmmm, Carter, Johnson, Hoover, Coolidge come to mind.

Now, I don't care what you say in rationalizing your opinion of Palin. At what, 42? 43? years of age you don't go from a small town mayor to a governor of a state like Alaska riddled with special interests, put them in check and have a 60-80% approval rating and even be CONSIDERED for the VP nomination without being smarter than a 5th grader!!

You're smarter than a 5h grader, but somehow I doubt you (or I for that matter) could do what she's done.

She made it as mayor and then governor because voters fell in love with her story. She's a nice lady with a big family. Voters aren't concern with education, experience, capabilities, etc....They just care if he/she is the kind of person they would like to have a beer with. The ironic part of this ridiculous litmus test is that the average person would never be in the situation where they would be at a picnic with any state or national politician.

I don't like beer, so you're right that I couldn't pass the test with the Alaskan(or any other state) voters.

Tetragrammaton
10-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Hasn't George Bush proven that you don't have to be intelligent to be elected? You have to say what the fringe voters want to appear and be more folksy than the opponent, and you win.

Looking back as far as I can name Presidents, the likable guy is always the one that prevails.

poornate
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Hasn't George Bush proven that you don't have to be intelligent to be elected? You have to say what the fringe voters want to appear and be more folksy than the opponent, and you win.

Looking back as far as I can name Presidents, the likable guy is always the one that prevails.

Oh yeah? What about George McGovern?