PDA

View Full Version : Oct 1: Happy Birthday NASA, welcome to your "midlife crisis".

LouPhinFan
10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,430542,00.html

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration, which opened its doors on Oct. 1 1958, is struggling with its identity and its future.

The agency's angst is Velcroed to the vehicle that NASA has been married to for more than half its life and is seeking to dump the space shuttle.

The space shuttle is going to have to remain in service longer. We can't rely on the Russians and their government to ferry us there for 5 years. Not in their present political state.

NASA has some choices to make.

Lukin
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
The space shuttle program is a joke. I mean, it took us less than 10 years to get to the moon once we set our mind to it, then for the last 30 years we've essentially been running a shuttle service back and forth to a space station. What happened to space exploration? Why didn't we set our sights on Mars, or establishing a base on the moon?

America's space program is, in my mind, one of our greatest shortcommings as a nation. We have the capabilities, we need to begin thinking about colonizing space. Its the only way to ensure the future of hummanity.

LouPhinFan
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
The space shuttle program is a joke. I mean, it took us less than 10 years to get to the moon once we set our mind to it, then for the last 30 years we've essentially been running a shuttle service back and forth to a space station. What happened to space exploration? Why didn't we set our sights on Mars, or establishing a base on the moon?

America's space program is, in my mind, one of our greatest shortcommings as a nation. We have the capabilities, we need to begin thinking about colonizing space. Its the only way to ensure the future of hummanity.

A number of different factors, but mainly it was the waining public interest. The late 1960's and early 1970's saw civic unrest. Also Jimmy Carter and the economic troubles of the 1970's contributed to it.

What the fact of the matter is, its expensive to go to the moon, but it is outragously expensive, not to mention dangerous, to go on to Mars. If going to the moon is like taking the first step down the staircase in your house, then going to Mars is like jumping down the entire flight of stairs.

Personally I think we should concentrate on getting back to the moon and setting up a permanent lunar base. A trip to Mars is still a long time off.

Lukin
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
A trip to Mars is a long way off now because up until recently, nobody was planning for one. I know hindsight is 20/20, but we should have started working on this 30 years ago. We could have been there by now. Sure, space travel is expensive, and we've spent, I don't know, billions? of dollars on the Shuttle, and for what? Yeah, we have learned a lot about living and working in space, but all in all, it's no wonder that a lot of people think space travel is a waste of money. Because we aren't doing enough with the money we're spending.

Tetragrammaton
11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I have to selfishly hope they keep the space program going, regardless of the results. It is the only thing keeping my county (Brevard and Cape Canaveral in general) alive at this point.