PDA

View Full Version : YES!!! Pacman Jones suspended indefinately

dolpns13
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/nfl_tracker/posts/14261

The NFL has taken action on Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones after last week's incident at a Dallas hotel. From the NFL press release:

Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Adam Jones of the Dallas Cowboys today that he is suspended indefinitely without pay as a result of his most recent violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy.

Jones will miss at least the next four games. Commissioner Goodell will determine the final length of the suspension following the Cowboys' Week 11 game against Washington on November 16. The decision on whether Jones can return to play will be based on Jones' strict compliance with his NFL and Dallas Cowboys treatment plans as well as on evaluations of Jones' progress that will be provided to Commissioner Goodell by clinical experts retained by the NFL.

Jones was involved in an alcohol-related physical altercation at a Dallas hotel on October 8 that resulted in hotel employees calling the police. Commissioner Goodell in today's letter to Jones called it a continuation of "a disturbing pattern of behavior and clearly inconsistent with the conditions I set for your continued participation in the NFL."

Jones was suspended for the entire 2007 season for multiple violations of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. In reinstating Jones on August 28 of this year, Commissioner Goodell said that the player's participation in the NFL depends on demonstrating that he can conduct himself in a socially responsible manner, avoiding any other conduct that brings disrespect to himself, his team, or the NFL.

SpurzN703
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
:lol:

burger13
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
pathetic....simply pathetic.

dlockz
10-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I will wait and see what really happened before I cast judegement although you would think he would go the extra mile to avoid trouble.

dolpns13
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I will wait and see what really happened before I cast judegement although you would think he would go the extra mile to avoid trouble.

Thats all he had to do if he actually cared about his life or the NFL... He knew the rules... He knew he was walking a tight rope... He knew the consequences... He pisses on the integrity of the NFL shield every chance he gets and Goodell pisses on the NFL shield, and his own reliablity with everyday he doesnt ban Pacman for life.

Blackocrates
10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't know what to think of this. Have the details of the incident come out yet?

dlockz
10-14-2008, 03:56 PM
too often we jump to conclusions. Remember when Levi Jones was just a wuss who could not handle Joey porter. Then the facts came out that Joey and his crew attacked Levi Jones and all of a sudden silence.

Dolpfan_72
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
What a pitiful person. You are getting paid millions of dollars to play a school yard game and you can't even conduct yourself like a responsible member of society. Pacman is, and forever will be living the....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

dlockz
10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Thats all he had to do if he actually cared about his life or the NFL... He knew the rules... He knew he was walking a tight rope... He knew the consequences... He pisses on the integrity of the NFL shield every chance he gets and Goodell pisses on the NFL shield, and his own reliablity with everyday he doesnt ban Pacman for life.

i agree but lets see what the details come out are he has a target on his back so anything is possible. Pacman has done some things but I dont see banning him for life espeicially when the court system does not deem him a threat to society.

GoonBoss
10-14-2008, 08:00 PM
It is actually remarkable simple to avoid what we in the army called "The appearance of impropriety". Don't put yourself in situations where you could get in trouble, and, you probably won't get in trouble. If you are in the hotel, go to your room. Play Madden...Go to bed...Whatever. It's your freaking CAREER!

Oh. Don't drink anywhere but in your home if you can't handle your booze.

JRob
10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
He got into a fight with his bodyguard, I don't think he should be suspended no more than two weeks.

BillParFan
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
He got into a fight with his bodyguard, I don't think he should be suspended no more than two weeks.

What more do you need?

Jerry Jones hired a "protection" team to follow Pacman and protect him from getting himself in trouble. He then attacks his bodyguard.

Pacman is one of those players you can count on playing his best games in the penal system.

GoonBoss
10-15-2008, 10:15 PM
What more do you need?

Jerry Jones hired a "protection" team to follow Pacman and protect him from getting himself in trouble. He then attacks his bodyguard.

Pacman is one of those players you can count on playing his best games in the penal system.

Sounds like they were doing their job.....Though, if they let him get booze, they didn't. Alldepends on thier orders. I'm in the protection buisness, and, believe me........Those of us doing the job are caught in the middle.

burger13
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
too often we jump to conclusions. Remember when Levi Jones was just a wuss who could not handle Joey porter. Then the facts came out that Joey and his crew attacked Levi Jones and all of a sudden silence.

LMFAO!!

but Ted Ginn is a bust already!!

burger13
10-16-2008, 10:17 AM

he got into a fight with a team employee (the bodyguard was hired by the cowboys) . there is a difference there as the NFL has specific language regarding fighting amongst co-workers.

...but regardless, this is his umpteenth problem, he's had way too many chances for this to be a short term thing. the guy should be out for good....he has proven that he can't stay out of trouble.

CedarPhin
10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
A bit extreme of a punishment IMO.

NYinBostonFin
10-17-2008, 10:02 AM
A bit extreme of a punishment IMO.

I would agree if he had a spotless record. This guy will never learn though, Goodell isn't going to put up with it.

After the strip club incident ( from what I've heard about it), I really don't believe he should play at all.

dlockz
10-17-2008, 01:11 PM
LMFAO!!

but Ted Ginn is a bust already!!

Please show me one post where I said Ginn was a bust. I said we overdrafted him based on Devin hester. I have said he is not performing well, but I have nver said he is a bust.

burger13
10-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Please show me one post where I said Ginn was a bust. I said we overdrafted him based on Devin hester. I have said he is not performing well, but I have nver said he is a bust.

you don't have to use the word to make the point:

Here are 2 posts from you in a thread about London where you clearly indicate that you think that Ginn is a bust, without actually using the word:

I see London as just another guy off the scrapheap but it would be nice to see somebody step up. We are still very talent challenged at WR.

right now as far as potential. i see London as having the most on our weak group of receivers. Still not enamoured with him but I can see some talent.

put those together and Ginn is worse than 'another guy off the scrapheap'. but yeah...you're not calling him a bust.

this is just the first example I found when reveiwing your post history. If you don't think he's a bust, and if you don't downright hate the guy.....you have a funny way of showing it. I know that's the perception that I get reading your posts....and I know I'm not alone.

dlockz
10-17-2008, 02:37 PM
you don't have to use the word to make the point:

Here are 2 posts from you in a thread about London where you clearly indicate that you think that Ginn is a bust, without actually using the word:

put those together and Ginn is worse than 'another guy off the scrapheap'. but yeah...you're not calling him a bust.

this is just the first example I found when reveiwing your post history. If you don't think he's a bust, and if you don't downright hate the guy.....you have a funny way of showing it. I know that's the perception that I get reading your posts....and I know I'm not alone.

My scrapheap opinion was based on a cut player. That being said The Giants have infininitly more talent than we do at Wr. i think they have 4 wr's that could start for us right away. I have always thought that we overdrafted Ginn and that he would be a solid poor man's Lee Evans. paired with a good receiver he would be a good number 2. Its not Ginn's fault we had a dumbazz at coach that drafted him over more talented players. I dont hold that against Ginn. I do not think Ginn is a special player like a Desean jackson. I think he was severely overrated based on his playing at Ohio St and Devin Hester's success. i do think Ginn needs to step up his game and am severly dissapointed that he cannot seem to make any plays this year. There was no excuse for being invisible against a suspect Houston secondary. there is no excuse for being pulled off of returns. I dont think in the long term that Ginn is a bust but I do agree that he should have never been drafted number nine overall. I think London overall has alot of raw potential that will probably go unrealized but he has skills that if he develops them will make him a good NFL player. If I had to say who will be the better NFl player it will be Ginn because he has shown an ability to make a catch, even if he does little after it.

WVDolphan
10-17-2008, 03:55 PM

No. He wouldnt. If anything he has proven he will go the extra mile to get into trouble.

tucker
10-17-2008, 06:33 PM
this was an over reaction by goodell? 4 games? this was an issue that should have been taken care of in house

NYPhinFan
10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
this was an over reaction by goodell? 4 games? this was an issue that should have been taken care of in house

Based on what? His prior ability to stay out of trouble? His history of not being able to keep his word to his teammates,coaches and league officials about staying out of trouble?

He was given a CLEAR...CRYSTAL CLEAR guideline of NO TOLERANCE...NONE and he made the Commisioner look really bad. Overreaction??? HARDLY. The process of him now entering Alcohol Rehab makes everyone involved look even worse. Pacman does not have little problems...he has HUGE ones and what compounds it is that he does not seem to realize this even after ALL he has gone through.

tucker
10-18-2008, 04:25 PM
goodell acts like he is the all mighty...he is acting like a dictator..yes 4 games for something like this is an over reactoin

GoonBoss
10-18-2008, 04:34 PM
goodell acts like he is the all mighty...he is acting like a dictator..yes 4 games for something like this is an over reactoin

Godell is acting within his authority granted him by the players and owners. Mr. Jones knew he was on zero tolerance, and, chose to violate the trust placed in him when he was renstated.

I hope he never plays in the NFL again.

djfresh47
10-18-2008, 07:01 PM
The guys got issues. Though if he can play he'll get opportunities. I tend to think people are innocent til proven guilty though the NFL has it the other way around.

NYPhinFan
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
goodell acts like he is the all mighty...he is acting like a dictator..yes 4 games for something like this is an over reactoinAsk the guy who is crippled by PacMans antics if him walking the streets making mistake after mistake and excuse after excuse if missing 4 games is excessive. If Goodell is a dictator...what do you call someone who has no regard...NONE for following the rules..laws and guidelines we all have to follow??? Pacmans word and integrity alone is worth a 4game suspension.

GoonBoss
10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
The guys got issues. Though if he can play he'll get opportunities. I tend to think people are innocent til proven guilty though the NFL has it the other way around.

Due process is in criminal proceedings.

Jones has shown a pattern of conducting himself in such a way that it reflects badly on the NFL brand, and, by default, everyone in it. If you think Jones is not brought up in discussions regarding "Thugs" in the NFL, you are wrong.

This is not a civil rights issue. It is a workplace rules issue. The NFL has rules. You have a number of options as an employee.

1) Live with it.
2) Choose another profession.
3) Live with it until the next CBA negotions and make your issues known to your bargaining unit/team rep.
4) Willfully violate said rules until you are not allowed at the workplace anymore.

Jones made a choice. Instead of keeping himself out of trouble's way...which is remarkably easy...He went the extra mile to find trouble.

NYPhinFan
10-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Jones has shown a pattern of conducting himself in such a way that it reflects badly on the NFL brand, and, by default, everyone in it. If you think Jones is not brought up in discussions regarding "Thugs" in the NFL, you are wrong.

This is not a civil rights issue. It is a workplace rules issue. The NFL has rules. You have a number of options as an employee.

1) Live with it.
3) Live with it until the next CBA negotions and make your issues known to your bargaining unit/team rep.
4) Willfully violate said rules until you are not allowed at the workplace anymore.

Jones made a choice. Instead of keeping himself out of trouble's way...which is remarkably easy...He went the extra mile to find trouble.

Man you hit the nail right on the head. This is not a court of law..this is a CEO who has laid down workplace rules with someone on a last chance waiver. He decides who gets to stay and who gets to go. It has nothing to do with jail or criminal preceedings. Pacman knew EXACTLT the conditions of his reinstatement..and he violated it. Plain and simple.

GoonBoss
10-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Man you hit the nail right on the head. This is not a court of law..this is a CEO who has laid down workplace rules with someone on a last chance waiver. He decides who gets to stay and who gets to go. It has nothing to do with jail or criminal preceedings. Pacman knew EXACTLT the conditions of his reinstatement..and he violated it. Plain and simple.

And I willl also point out that the workers (players) union, the NFLPA, allowed Goodell to do what he is doing. Jones has not one person to blame but himself.

djfresh47
10-19-2008, 01:14 AM

1) Live with it.

Does it hurt the product? I don't think so the NFL is the most popular sport in America. One could argue than any publicity is good publicity. If Roger wants to make rules that's fine. Though nothing reflects badly on the NFL. It's a teflon league. Their are "thugs," in every sport and they do cast a shadow upon players which they shouldn't.

I could argue that ESPN covering these events and ignoring the good things alot of players do in the league reflects negatively upon the league. Jones is a troubled individual who obviously needs some kind of help. We're all responsible for our own actions. Though when Goodell sat down with Jones and reviewed everything. Could he not see a pattern of his problems? A year off apparently did absolutely nothing.

You didn't compare it to a common workplace which I think is correct. Anybody who says that "if I did this at my job, i'd be fired." Jones probably will get another chance because let's face it everybody does.

rainmaker1313
10-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Simply put: HES A BUM!!!!

GoonBoss
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Does it hurt the product? I don't think so the NFL is the most popular sport in America. One could argue than any publicity is good publicity. If Roger wants to make rules that's fine. Though nothing reflects badly on the NFL. It's a teflon league. Their are "thugs," in every sport and they do cast a shadow upon players which they shouldn't.

I could argue that ESPN covering these events and ignoring the good things alot of players do in the league reflects negatively upon the league. Jones is a troubled individual who obviously needs some kind of help. We're all responsible for our own actions. Though when Goodell sat down with Jones and reviewed everything. Could he not see a pattern of his problems? A year off apparently did absolutely nothing.

You didn't compare it to a common workplace which I think is correct. Anybody who says that "if I did this at my job, i'd be fired." Jones probably will get another chance because let's face it everybody does.

The NFL is most certainly not teflon, and, it's become the most popular sport in this country specificly by commisioners protecting and tweaking the brand and, the product on the field. Football constantly undergoes changes in the offseason that Baseball wouldn't dream of...Consequently? Football has overtaken Baseball. No leauge is immune to damage. Growth of 3%/yr is generally considered adequate in the corporate world. Now, I don't have the numbers, but, I'd suggest the NFL is exceeding that. The quickest way to sabatoge yourself is to assume that your product is teflon. Ask the Big 3 automakers in Detroit.

I agree that there are thugs in every leauge, and, no leauge is immune to that, but, as a CEO, the Commissioner is tasked with mitigateing ANY imagry that could, or could potentially damage a brand. Thug like behavior takes your growth margin (casual fans) away.

As far as a workplace, the only thing that separates it from a common workplace is the product and the money. Your top salespeople in any company can get away with stuff that gets good ol' Fred over in accounting sacked in a hot second...Why? because salesguy is a producer. Now, will Jones get another chance? MAybe or maybe not. Goodell doesn't play and, I think he was serious about the zero tolerance. The only thing I think saves Jones is that it was a fight with a team employee. That, to me is team internal issue.

djfresh47
10-20-2008, 08:51 PM
The NFL is most certainly not teflon, and, it's become the most popular sport in this country specificly by commisioners protecting and tweaking the brand and, the product on the field. Football constantly undergoes changes in the offseason that Baseball wouldn't dream of...Consequently? Football has overtaken Baseball. No leauge is immune to damage. Growth of 3%/yr is generally considered adequate in the corporate world. Now, I don't have the numbers, but, I'd suggest the NFL is exceeding that. The quickest way to sabatoge yourself is to assume that your product is teflon. Ask the Big 3 automakers in Detroit.

I agree that there are thugs in every leauge, and, no leauge is immune to that, but, as a CEO, the Commissioner is tasked with mitigateing ANY imagry that could, or could potentially damage a brand. Thug like behavior takes your growth margin (casual fans) away.

As far as a workplace, the only thing that separates it from a common workplace is the product and the money. Your top salespeople in any company can get away with stuff that gets good ol' Fred over in accounting sacked in a hot second...Why? because salesguy is a producer. Now, will Jones get another chance? MAybe or maybe not. Goodell doesn't play and, I think he was serious about the zero tolerance. The only thing I think saves Jones is that it was a fight with a team employee. That, to me is team internal issue.

The NFL is teflon. Though partly because of moves by the commisoner. It's nothing like a common workplace. I believe it's drastically harder to find people who have the physical ability of players in any sport. Plus players average careers are much shorter.

Any sport will always have the diehards. What seperates the NFL, IMO is that it is a once a week thing so it doesn't really get stale. A team went undefeated last year and had a 1st rd pick taken away because they were allegedly spying. Not only that but it wasn't the first time caught. Baseball got crucifixed for 'roids. Yet when guys get suspended for it in the NFL it's pushed under the rug. All the guys in MLB were one step ahead but the guys in the NFL weren't?

I love football and love the NFL and to the majority of fans it can do no wrong.

GoonBoss
10-20-2008, 09:09 PM
The NFL is teflon. Though partly because of moves by the commisoner. It's nothing like a common workplace. I believe it's drastically harder to find people who have the physical ability of players in any sport. Plus players average careers are much shorter.

Any sport will always have the diehards. What seperates the NFL, IMO is that it is a once a week thing so it doesn't really get stale. A team went undefeated last year and had a 1st rd pick taken away because they were allegedly spying. Not only that but it wasn't the first time caught. Baseball got crucifixed for 'roids. Yet when guys get suspended for it in the NFL it's pushed under the rug. All the guys in MLB were one step ahead but the guys in the NFL weren't?

I love football and love the NFL and to the majority of fans it can do no wrong.

This is not meant as a dig at all. I enjoy this sort of discussion, but, were you alive during the Lyle Alzado period? The NFL has been VERY much more proactive in terms of performance enhancers. Does drug abuse exist? Certainly. The counter-tech will always be a helf step ahead of the police -tech, but, to compare football to baseball in "Sweeping under the rug" is complete fallicy. Baseball's issue was that it was accepted practice to abuse drugs of various sorts.

I agree with the point you made about die hards. Any sport will have those. The NFL is not reaching out to those fans anymore, if you haven't noticed. They are reaching out to the casual fan, which is thier growth margin.

djfresh47
10-20-2008, 11:52 PM
This is not meant as a dig at all. I enjoy this sort of discussion, but, were you alive during the Lyle Alzado period? The NFL has been VERY much more proactive in terms of performance enhancers. Does drug abuse exist? Certainly. The counter-tech will always be a helf step ahead of the police -tech, but, to compare football to baseball in "Sweeping under the rug" is complete fallicy. Baseball's issue was that it was accepted practice to abuse drugs of various sorts.

I agree with the point you made about die hards. Any sport will have those. The NFL is not reaching out to those fans anymore, if you haven't noticed. They are reaching out to the casual fan, which is thier growth margin.

I was 8 when the SI article came out. Which was really the thing that brought people to wonder about roids. Though his assertion was false that they cause his tumor.

This is just my opinion but I believe the NFL has alot more people using performance enhancers than most other sports. Part of my reasoning is the non-guranteed contracts. Teams are given the benefit of the doubt except the Bengals who seem to not care about what guys do off the field.

Jones is a bad guy from all accounts. If alcohol truely was his problem and not a PR move than I applaud him for checking in to rehab. This once again is just opinion, it just doesn't seem sincere. By all parties involved. The NFL, Cowboys, and Jones.

shula_guy
10-21-2008, 12:12 AM
It is actually remarkable simple to avoid what we in the army called "The appearance of impropriety". Don't put yourself in situations where you could get in trouble, and, you probably won't get in trouble. If you are in the hotel, go to your room. Play Madden...Go to bed...Whatever. It's your freaking CAREER!

Oh. Don't drink anywhere but in your home if you can't handle your booze.

devils advocate: Im pacman jones, im reconginized, im attacked, its my word against the other guys, the guy says lets settle out of court for a million. i, pacman jones was in a hotel room walkinh down the icemachine for a bucket of ice when this happened. should his career be ruined? I think its safe pacman probally started this fight but lets try him before convicting him.

GoonBoss
10-21-2008, 03:34 AM
devils advocate: Im pacman jones, im reconginized, im attacked, its my word against the other guys, the guy says lets settle out of court for a million. i, pacman jones was in a hotel room walkinh down the icemachine for a bucket of ice when this happened. should his career be ruined? I think its safe pacman probally started this fight but lets try him before convicting him.

Jones is not going to be in this position. My bet? Being in the personal protection biz? Here's what happened...Guy, as a PPO hired by Dallas was trying to keep Jones out of problems. Dude probably saved Jones career. He's out for 4 games but, I bet he kept Jones out of a situation that gets him life.

GoonBoss
10-21-2008, 03:44 AM
I was 8 when the SI article came out. Which was really the thing that brought people to wonder about roids. Though his assertion was false that they cause his tumor.

This is just my opinion but I believe the NFL has alot more people using performance enhancers than most other sports. Part of my reasoning is the non-guranteed contracts. Teams are given the benefit of the doubt except the Bengals who seem to not care about what guys do off the field.

Jones is a bad guy from all accounts. If alcohol truely was his problem and not a PR move than I applaud him for checking in to rehab. This once again is just opinion, it just doesn't seem sincere. By all parties involved. The NFL, Cowboys, and Jones.

Thanks for continueing this as an informitive discussion. First, I'll adress Jones. He's not a good person, nor do I expect most to be that play the game. .....You've just got to hold it together. You can't "dis" the Commish....(As the kids say) He's a human. But now it's tiem to pay the piper to which he danced.

As to the performance enhancers....I think the NFL is out front.

djfresh47
10-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Though this was the 13th time or so he's "been in the wrong place at the wrong time." I don't believe his career should be ruined. He's got talent that's undeniable. Rather than straightening himself out to get back into the league. He should probably be worrying about getting himself right so he's not lumped in with say a Lawerence Phillips.

Antoni
10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Jones just needs to be banned from the NFL permenantely. You would think that after all that **** he went thru last time he'd straighten out. Nope. What a clown. Do him a favor Roger and send him to the WWE. I'm sure Vince McMahon won't care

Antoni
10-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Oh comon :D Why is it only Pacman and a few other clowns that are always getting in trouble. The scenario above OK I'll believe you if you're Eli Manning, but Pacman obviously started the fight