PDA

View Full Version : New NFL head coaches in 09'

Nublar7
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
So, we are now in November of the NFL season and it is the main time of rumors about which coaches are going and which ones are coming.

Though it has been a very bizarre year compared to past ones. Here we are in Week 10 and three coaches have already been fired(Nolan, Linehan and Kiffin).

With three already removed, this appears to have the potential of a big coaching turnaround. Could be a repeat of a year like 2006 when there was ten coaching changes.

So, who do you think is likely to get the pink slip or retire between now and early January?

Already Fired:

Mike Nolan (49ers)
Scott Linehan (Rams)
Lane Kiffin (Raiders)

Retiring after the season:

Mike Holmgren (Seahawks)

Rumored to be retiring after the season:

Tony Dungy (Colts)

Probably should pack their bags now:

Rod Marinelli (Lions)
Marvin Lewis (Bengals)
Herm Edwards (Chiefs)

Could be on the hot seat:

Wade Phillips (Cowboys)
Brad Childress (Vikings)
Eric Mangini (Jets)
Romeo Crennel (Browns)
Jack Delo Rio (Jaguars)
Gary Kubiak (Texans)
Norv Turner (Chargers)

Linked to College openings:

Jon Gruden (Buccaneers)

Now, who would you peg as the "hot" candidates to take over in some of these places if the current coach does indeed get fired or retire? Will Cowher make a return? Will Carroll make the jump back to the NFL? Will the three interm coaches stay with their current team, or land a head coaching job with another? Or will another unknown name make the jump to the head position after proving it can be done with success(Sparano, Zorn, Harbaugh, Smith).

'Tis the season.

dlockz
11-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I definately think Herm Edwards, Marvin Lewis, Mike singletary, rod marinelli and possibly Turner are gone.

I can guarantee that cam Cameron will not be offered a job lol.

I think Pete carrol will take some big money to come to NFL.

Coaches that may get looked at
Kevin Gilbride OC of the giants
jim Swartz DC of the Titans
Dave Mcginnes of the Titans

Hard to really say. I know Mora is slated for the seattle job.

shula_guy
11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Man there is not enough coaches to go around to fill all those spots:sidelol:

thats like half the leauge you just named off on your lists

Captain_Chad
11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I really think Wade is gone in Dallas.

CedarPhin
11-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Norv gone in SD...though I think he bought himself some time with the Cottrell firing. Kubiak will probably get another year or two to get it turned around, they've been really beset by injuries this year.

I think that Holmgren will go to SF, no matter what he's been saying. Crennel has to be on the hot seat, maybe Cowher ends up there?

The DC of the Giants may be a good choice for a team as well.

Damn, this may be the most openings at the HC position that I've seen in a long time.

shula_guy
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
maybe the cowboys and the raiders could just trade coaches :sidelol:

GoonBoss
11-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I definately think Herm Edwards, Marvin Lewis, Mike singletary, rod marinelli and possibly Turner are gone.

Disagree. There is no rational reason for Carroll to leave USC.

Nublar7
11-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Disagree. There is no rational reason for Carroll to leave USC.I heard on Sporting News radio yesterday that they felt Carroll was leaving to go back to the NFL. When I turned it on they were talking as if he had already left. They were saying things like "Carroll has completed college and is going back to pro since he has unfinished business". They went to a caller(I think he was a regular analysist) and introduced him as "Here is (forget his name) to talk about Carroll's decision to go back to the NFL."

Obviously I got home and found nothing online about it. Only that Pete is fed up with the BCS system.

The guys on the radio did then mention that they thought he would end up in San Francisco with full control. Which is what Pete has wanted for some time. There is a reason he sat down with Wayne after Saban bolted. He wants back in, but wants full control.

djfresh47
11-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I think Bum's son is gone. Marinelli is dead man walking as should Marvin Lewis and Norv Turner. Childress should be gone. I don't believe Del Rio will be fired nor do I believe Crennel will be. I think Romeo just got an extension after last season or during last season.

As for interim coaches I don't look at it like they're being fired. Their interim coaches so generally they're not brought back. Singletary dropping his pants in the locker room probably cost him a shot at having that job. Haslett has the Rams looking not as pathetic so maybe he'll be brought back. They've gotta interview a minority though to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Steve Spagnuolo I believe is going to get a job and should. Garrett will be the coach in Dallas. Rumor is that Al Davis loves Jim Harbaugh who has coached in the pro's. Mora is set to replace Holmgren. Though wasn't Gregg Williams suppose to replace Gibbs last year too?

CedarPhin
11-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I heard on Sporting News radio yesterday that they felt Carroll was leaving to go back to the NFL. When I turned it on they were talking as if he had already left. They were saying things like "Carroll has completed college and is going back to pro since he has unfinished business". They went to a caller(I think he was a regular analysist) and introduced him as "Here is (forget his name) to talk about Carroll's decision to go back to the NFL."

Obviously I got home and found nothing online about it. Only that Pete is fed up with the BCS system.

The guys on the radio did then mention that they thought he would end up in San Francisco with full control. Which is what Pete has wanted for some time. There is a reason he sat down with Wayne after Saban bolted. He wants back in, but wants full control.

If I were Carroll, there's no way I'd leave USC..he's got too much of a good thing going. I know he's fed up with the BCS, but they should try and make their OOC a bit stronger. Of course, it doesn't help when the Pac 10 has a down year this year and you lose to Oregon State.

Maybe Del Rio will toss Koetter under the bus and UM can get him as an OC....one can hope.

FALCONS24-7-365
11-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Iowa's coach is pretty good....

djfresh47
11-08-2008, 08:57 PM
If I were Carroll, there's no way I'd leave USC..he's got too much of a good thing going. I know he's fed up with the BCS, but they should try and make their OOC a bit stronger. Of course, it doesn't help when the Pac 10 has a down year this year and you lose to Oregon State.

Maybe Del Rio will toss Koetter under the bus and UM can get him as an OC....one can hope.

Nobody will say this because of reputation but the SEC is no where near as good as it has been. Florida's lose to Ole Miss should be as damaging as USC's lose. Though Florida will get to make up for it by playing Alabama. I think the only people who like the BCS are the school presidents.

Carroll was an average NFL head coach. I think their have been rumblings about him going to SF or SD in years past. If I can recall he wants total control which rarely works for any HC. If he goes any place i'd say SD because he can win instantly. Norv Turner has been a garbage HC is whole career. He's a decent OC.

One name I forgot to mention is Marty Schottenheimer. Really I think he maybe the perfect guy for the 9ers.

RonnieBrown07
11-09-2008, 11:52 AM

yea he's done unless they turn it around after their buy

SpaceMountain16
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM

No chance, he's got the best job in the world at SC and would be insane to leave that to coach some horrible team like......The Raiders.

I think Wade Phillips is gone too. Dallas should hire Jason Garrett to replace him, and i think they will, but i could see them going after some big name candidate like Bill Cowher or something.
I could see Romeo Crennel being gone in Cleveland after they under achieved this year.
I could see Tony Dungy retiring after a disappointing season in Indianapolis.

Norv Turner could be in some trouble and i think Rod Marinelli (even though he shouldn't be) is going to be gone from Detroit.

Some other guys who could be on the hot seat in upcoming seasons if they don't start winning:
- Dick Jauron
- Sean Payton
- Eric Mangini
- Jack Del Rio
- Andy Reid (although he's got a really long leash)

CedarPhin
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Nobody will say this because of reputation but the SEC is no where near as good as it has been. Florida's lose to Ole Miss should be as damaging as USC's lose. Though Florida will get to make up for it by playing Alabama. I think the only people who like the BCS are the school presidents.

Carroll was an average NFL head coach. I think their have been rumblings about him going to SF or SD in years past. If I can recall he wants total control which rarely works for any HC. If he goes any place i'd say SD because he can win instantly. Norv Turner has been a garbage HC is whole career. He's a decent OC.

One name I forgot to mention is Marty Schottenheimer. Really I think he maybe the perfect guy for the 9ers.

I never really thought of Marty...he seems to do a good job wherever he goes.

SpaceMountain16
11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I never really thought of Marty...he seems to do a good job wherever he goes.

I think he'll be back somewhere, maybe reunite with Cleveland!?

sn9ke.eyes
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Rod Marinelli (Lions)
Marvin Lewis (Bengals)
Wade Phillips (Cowboys)
Norv Turner (Chargers)

These guys will all be gone

Cocelesti
11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Rod Marinelli (Lions)
Marvin Lewis (Bengals)
Wade Phillips (Cowboys)
Norv Turner (Chargers)

These guys will all be gone

I agree with the list. Another guy I think would be sacked after this season is Brad Childress from the Vikings.

X-Pacolypse
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Carroll is a Bay Area native, and if SF is willing to give him full control he'll take it. Although, I think Pete has a chance to have a Bobby Bowden/Joe Paterno type of legacy at USC. I think that kind of thing is really hard to pass up. If Pete takes the SF job, I wouldn't be shocked if Lane Kiffin takes over at USC.

sn9ke.eyes
11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I agree with the list. Another guy I think would be sacked after this season is Brad Childress from the Vikings.

I think he can save his job just by making the playoffs though, which I think they have a pretty good shot of doing by winning their division.

The other guys I listed are done unless they pull off a Super Bowl appearance, of which Wade Phillips is the only one with a chance, but he's going to do some serious coaching to get his team on a roll.

finfan3223
11-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah I really think he will be gone too. Theres just to much talent there to not win, and the Cowboys have no chemistry at all.

djfresh47
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM

He turns around bad teams. Doesn't win in the playoffs with them. Though he'd turn the culture around in Detroit or SF. Both of those places need a guy with experience, IMO. Their are only 32 head coaching jobs but what up and coming coach would want to sabotage their career by taking those god awful jobs.

CedarPhin
11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Carroll is a Bay Area native, and if SF is willing to give him full control he'll take it. Although, I think Pete has a chance to have a Bobby Bowden/Joe Paterno type of legacy at USC. I think that kind of thing is really hard to pass up. If Pete takes the SF job, I wouldn't be shocked if Lane Kiffin takes over at USC.

I'd think Sarkisian would be a better bet.

CedarPhin
11-10-2008, 08:29 PM

I'd think that Cowher would be a better bet than Marty...but you never know.

FINdestructible
11-11-2008, 03:54 PM

Me too.

djfresh47
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd think that Cowher would be a better bet than Marty...but you never know.

I thought Cowher stated he's not coaching next year.

X-Pacolypse
11-12-2008, 02:25 PM

If Norv gets the axe in San Diego, I think Cowher would love nothing more than to slide right into that job.

Pennington10
11-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I think if the Jets don't make the playoffs, I believe with the money they spent on players this season, Mangini AND the GM Tannenbaum are both out.

tmont
11-12-2008, 09:16 PM
wheres steve mariucci?!?!

SpaceMountain16
11-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Money talks.....

I don't believe anything people in professional sports say in regards to their futures. It's human nature to make up decisions based on something like cash, and if a team like Cleveland really poney'd up, i could see Cowher going there even if it meant tarnishing his legacy in Pittsburgh.

greasyObnoxious
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
a couple of guys i think will be considered for HC vacancies next season are:

Steve Spagnuolo
Kevin Gilbride
Leslie Frazier
Mike Singletary
Jim Schwartz
Rex Ryan

then there's some former HC i could see making a return like Cowher, Schottenheimer and Martz.

i'm just happy we're not in the same boat as the teams looking for a HC. we seem to have found the right guy for the job. still, it's going to be interesting who'll land where.

SpaceMountain16
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
a couple of guys i think will be considered for HC vacancies next season are:

Steve Spagnuolo
Kevin Gilbride
Leslie Frazier
Mike Singletary
Jim Schwartz
Rex Ryan

then there's some former HC i could see making a return like Cowher, Schottenheimer and Martz.

i'm just happy we're not in the same boat as the teams looking for a HC. we seem to have found the right guy for the job. still, it's going to be interesting who'll land where.

I don't think Singletary is going to get another gig as a head coach, he has a passion for the game but he's proving he's too crazy.

greasyObnoxious
11-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't think Singletary is going to get another gig as a head coach, he has a passion for the game but he's proving he's too crazy.

Martz got a HC job, too :-)

SpaceMountain16
11-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Martz got a HC job, too :-)

Not after St. Louis

But he's not crazy to the point of raving mad man who's players aren't going to respond to him when he acts so immature after a loss.

Zandimd
11-16-2008, 01:28 PM

He should be he is absolutely a terrible head coach, its not even his team....Parcells built that team and with all that talent they are doing terrible

Fins_ColtsFan
11-16-2008, 05:53 PM
They are saying Jim Caldwell will replace Dungy whenever he decides to leave