PDA

View Full Version : Any documentary fans?

Blackocrates
11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
I really enjoy watching documentaries. A well made documentary can be better than a scripted film at times. My favorite documentary would have to be, Harlan County, U.S.A.. It won an Oscar for best documentary back in the 1970's. It's about a coal mine in Kentucky and the workers are on strike. It's a fascinating film that shows the struggle between labor and management.

Some of my other favorites are:
Comedian- follows Jerry Seinfeld around while he's building up a new act. It starts from his very first joke and ends with his final act. It also follows a little known comedian around while he's trying to get his big break.

The Corporation- I believe Presscoverage turned me onto this one. It shows how corporations act as an entity and how they affect the world around them.

Alone in the Wilderness- a man documents his life as he begins to live in the Alaskan wilderness alone. He makes his own tools, cabin, utensils, etc. He capsures and preserves his own food. He narrates the film which adds his thoughts as the movie progresses. This may very well be the best documentary that I've seen but I don't feel like splitting hairs over it.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse- this film follows the making of Apocalypse Now. It gives a fascinating insight into what was going on during the filming of the movie.

I enjoy Michael Moore's films. I also like Morgan Spurlock, got to give props to a fellow West Virginian. Spurlock made it big with Super Size Me, he also has a television series called 30 Days which I enjoy watching.

CedarPhin
11-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Cocaine Cowboys

Locke
11-19-2008, 12:31 AM
There is a fairly recent one called "Wal-Mart, the high cost of low prices". Its an eye-opener for sure. Also, if you want to see the straight up scariest movie ever, its a documentary called "Jesus Camp". Good god I was pissed beyond words after watching that....

Tetragrammaton
11-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Jesus Camp was interesting, but a bit too heavy handed for me.

The last documentary I saw was Man From Plains. An interesting take on Jimmy Carter.

CedarPhin
11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Control Room wasn't bad either.

The fact that "The Corporation" had Arcata, CA in it made it lose all credibility. If you've ever been to Arcata, you'd know why.

Eureka's pretty solid. Arcata...not so much. Good bud up that way though.

ih8brady
11-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Night and Fog was a very well-crafted, early Holocaust doc. Check it out, it's a short watch.

This year's Religulous was hilarious, but not as insightful as it could have been given Maher's intellect and craft. More PI than Real Time.

Locke
11-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Jesus Camp was interesting, but a bit too heavy handed for me.

The last documentary I saw was Man From Plains. An interesting take on Jimmy Carter.

Think it was heavy handed? I found it more interesting than most because there was very little besides the cameraman just following that lady around and filming everything. Outside of how it was edited, there was very little room for bias...

ih8brady
11-19-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't want to pimp it out in every thread or anything but Général Idi Amin Dada was a great documentary. The Ugandan leader is followed and Amin offers insight on his political thoughts, stance in the world, and on responsibility and leadership(all very deluded). He stages a "great military demonstration" for the film crew(a couple of soldiers running up a hill at a playground, sad). All of this access was approved by Idi Amin in hopes it would be his Triumph of the Will, but when the sane portion of the world saw this film....we knew his charcater as well as the mindset of many small-country dictators.

JTBRLZ
11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
King of Kong was awesome

LouPhinFan
11-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm assuming its considered a documentary, but my favorite is Planet Earth. It has some of the most amazing scenes I've ever laid eyes on. When I finally make the plunge into HD and get a Blu-ray player, that's the first Blu-ray disk I'm going to buy.

Tetragrammaton
11-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm assuming its considered a documentary, but my favorite is Planet Earth. It has some of the most amazing scenes I've ever laid eyes on. When I finally make the plunge into HD and get a Blu-ray player, that's the first Blu-ray disk I'm going to buy.

I have a Blu-Ray player via the PS3, and the Planet Earth series is worth every penny.

SpaceMountain16
11-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I really enjoy watching documentaries. A well made documentary can be better than a scripted film at times. My favorite documentary would have to be, Harlan County, U.S.A.. It won an Oscar for best documentary back in the 1970's. It's about a coal mine in Kentucky and the workers are on strike. It's a fascinating film that shows the struggle between labor and management.

Some of my other favorites are:
Comedian- follows Jerry Seinfeld around while he's building up a new act. It starts from his very first joke and ends with his final act. It also follows a little known comedian around while he's trying to get his big break.

The Corporation- I believe Presscoverage turned me onto this one. It shows how corporations act as an entity and how they affect the world around them.

Alone in the Wilderness- a man documents his life as he begins to live in the Alaskan wilderness alone. He makes his own tools, cabin, utensils, etc. He capsures and preserves his own food. He narrates the film which adds his thoughts as the movie progresses. This may very well be the best documentary that I've seen but I don't feel like splitting hairs over it.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse- this film follows the making of Apocalypse Now. It gives a fascinating insight into what was going on during the filming of the movie.

I enjoy Michael Moore's films. I also like Morgan Spurlock, got to give props to a fellow West Virginian. Spurlock made it big with Super Size Me, he also has a television series called 30 Days which I enjoy watching.

I'm with you on this

I haven't seen too many documentaries though. Not ones that aren't sports related anyway.

BobDole
11-29-2008, 04:34 AM
trekkies was pretty hilarious if that counts.

hearts of darkness was awesome too. dennis hopper was drugged up to the extreme during the shooting of that flick. i can't believe that movie was made from an 86 page book.

Blackocrates
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I just watched Triumph of the Will the other day. I only thought it was decent. A lot of people have it rated extremely high. It's a propaganda film that the nazi's made back in 1934ish. It goes through a week of the annual nazi convention. There are some speeches that are interesting to watch. It's also interesting to watch the reactions of people when they see Hitler. However, the movie gets boring after a while. A lot of it is just watching a marching parade as each unit marches past Hitler.

My next documentary to come in will be ih8brady's Idi Amin recommendation. I should get it sometime this week.

Blackocrates
12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Alright, so I thought the Idi Amin documentary was coming in next but I just received Taxi to the Dark Side. I just finished watching it and it was a great movie but very disturbing. It's about how the US military has handled and treated prisoners in Bagram, Abu Ghraib, and GITMO. It's put together well with documents and other forms of evidence to back up their story. This is the first in a long line of Iraq War documentaries that I have in my queue.

I'd be interested in hearing anybody's thoughts if they have seen the movie.

ih8brady
12-04-2008, 01:09 AM
I really want to see it. Wasn't the guy who was killed through extensive torture, just a taxi driver? I need to see that and Gonzo. Anyone see that?

Blackocrates
12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I really want to see it. Wasn't the guy who was killed through extensive torture, just a taxi driver? I need to see that and Gonzo. Anyone see that?

Yep, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a really sad story. I haven't seen Gonzo, I'll have to check it out.

Blackocrates
12-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't want to pimp it out in every thread or anything but Général Idi Amin Dada was a great documentary. The Ugandan leader is followed and Amin offers insight on his political thoughts, stance in the world, and on responsibility and leadership(all very deluded). He stages a "great military demonstration" for the film crew(a couple of soldiers running up a hill at a playground, sad). All of this access was approved by Idi Amin in hopes it would be his Triumph of the Will, but when the sane portion of the world saw this film....we knew his charcater as well as the mindset of many small-country dictators.

Well I finally watched this. I don't know what to say, I laughed, I was shocked, I laughed some more. It's a great movie, it's bizarre, it's absurd, it's creepy.

I couldn't help but laugh at the "military demonstration". One rusted tank, one helicopter, two planes and a handful of troops. :lol:

He was definitely charismatic and even likeable until you saw the real man. His seven point talk to his leaders was creepy. Especially the part where he talks about how important it is to love your leader. You could tell he didn't have a personal relationship with his many children. I don't even know if he knew their names.

I also laughed at the swimming scene. He dives in and just starts cutting across people, unable to swim in a straight line. They all give up and he declares himself the winner. :lol:

Blackocrates
01-11-2009, 05:58 AM
I just finished watching Vernon, Florida. My goodness that's one of the funniest most entertaining documentary movies I have ever seen. It's not even an hour long, that's my only complaint.

Errol Morris is the director. I just happened upon the movie and thought I would give it a try. It was filmed in 1982 and it just documents some of the eccentric characters that live in a little town in Florida called Vernon. They're some of the most entertaining old-timers that I have ever seen. If you get a chance to see this movie pick it up, you won't be disappointed. Warning, you may have to use subtitles. They have some thick accents.

There's some of the funniest lines in this movie:

"He always said the last thing he'd do is shoot himself...it was.".
"There no better cure for diarrhea than to hear a turkey gobble.".
"You ever seen a man's brains? I've seen them. I've picked them up, scooped them up. Put them in, do them up like brains. You buying brains?".

I can't think of anymore right now, there are too many. There's a scene where a preacher is giving a sermon about the word "therefore". It's one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Edit: I just found a few clips from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZtK3ahEqe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyfxgL4AFWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmdgC7pZxg

Tetragrammaton
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM

I have seen both. Taxi to the Dark Side is really good. Gonzo is as well, but they are obviously very different. I would recommend seeing Taxi as soon as possible.

Predaphin
05-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm defintley a fan of documentaries....

The Big One
Bowling for Columbine
Farenhiet 911
Sicko
Coyote
and I've watched many more that were great.