PDA

View Full Version : The Wrestler

Tetragrammaton
11-23-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cCNCU7zIiM

This looks like it is going to be the best film of 2008. I can't wait.

Crickett
11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Best movie of 2008? It looks like a fictionalized version of Beyond the Mat. Not to say it will be a bad movie or that Beyond the Mat wasn't a bad movie. But we've had better movies in 2008.

Tetragrammaton
11-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Like which? The only movies that blew me away this year were Rachel Getting Married and the Dark Knight. Then again, most great films hold off until December, so who knows?

Mickey Rourke looks like he is perfect for this role. We shall see how it goes, though.

Crickett
11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Like which? The only movies that blew me away this year were Rachel Getting Married and the Dark Knight. Then again, most great films hold off until December, so who knows?

Iron Man and The Dark Knight come to mind. I neglected to mention them by name anticipating a "feh" type reponse since both are comic book movies. :unsure:

Perfect23
11-23-2008, 01:32 PM
intresting

SpaceMountain16
11-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Iron Man and The Dark Knight come to mind. I neglected to mention them by name anticipating a "feh" type reponse since both are comic book movies. :unsure:

Iron Man and The Dark Knight were both very very good, i think that The Incredible Hulk was pretty solid.

But only TDK has any real chance at Oscar prestige with brilliant performances from Ledger and even Aaron Eckhart.

The Wrestler is supposed to be that sentimental Hollywood movie with brilliant writing, acting, drama etc. that will win all the awards. I will see it, i like Mickey Rourke. He's great in Sin City!

I really liked this Dennis Quaid movie "Smart People" i think that was a fantastic film that should get some award consideration. I believe it came out in early 2008 too. Not sure about Oscar cutoff dates or whatever.

Other than that, not too much is going on this year. Not with those typical award winning dramas. A lot of block busters though, Bond, Indiana Jones, Batman, Iron Man, Hulk, Narnia etc.

JTBRLZ
11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Looks great, definitely will see this.

Nappy Roots
11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Mickey Rourke looks stupid

Noodle Arm
11-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Those who have seen it have all said it's brilliant and Rourke gives one of the best performances of the year. I'm looking forward to it. I've always thought Rourke was a good actor who just made HORRIBLE career and life choices.

Tetragrammaton
11-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Those who have seen it have all said it's brilliant and Rourke gives one of the best performances of the year. I'm looking forward to it. I've always thought Rourke was a good actor who just made HORRIBLE career and life choices.

Judging from your avatar, you are a fan of good acting. I don't know if Rourke can surpass Day-Lewis' performance last year, but it will be fun to watch.

I really liked this Dennis Quaid movie "Smart People" i think that was a fantastic film that should get some award consideration. I believe it came out in early 2008 too. Not sure about Oscar cutoff dates or whatever.

The cutoff is based on calendar year. However, films released before September or so usually don't make it because the Academy forgets about them. Also, they have no momentum.

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
The trailer looks great. Rourke's character reminds me of Diamond Dallas Page. This looks like it's going to be a really good movie. I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the post Wayward.

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
The trailer looks great. Rourke's character reminds me of Diamond Dallas Page. This looks like it's going to be a really good movie. I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the post Wayward.

and that's not a bad thing......it's a GOOD thing :lol:

- (DDP catchphrase for those of you who dont remember)

Crickett
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
and that's not a bad thing......it's a GOOD thing :lol:

- (DDP catchphrase for those of you who dont remember)

I'd give you a high five for the reference. But I'm just sitting in front of my computer reading this thread. You're going to have to give yourself one. Kind of a self high five.

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I'd give you a high five for the reference. But I'm just sitting in front of my computer reading this thread. You're going to have to give yourself one. Kind of a self high five.

Done :up: