PDA

View Full Version : Movie Recommendations

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I figured we should have a thread dedicated to posting recommendations or asking for a recommendation.

I recommend the movie Beautiful Girls. It's about a guy that's going through somewhat of a mid-life crisis. He returns home to go to a high school reunion. His hometown is a sleepy town where nothing has changed since he left. He reunites with his old buddies. He's torn between staying with his current girl or getting a new one. It's well written and it has a large cast. Matt Dillon, Lauren Holly, Timothy Hutton, Rosie O'Donnell, Michael Rapaport, Natalie Portman, Mira Sorvino and Uma Thurman plus a few others.

If you watch it let me know what you think of it.

Cedarphin recommended A Fist Full of Dollars, I watched it the other day and enjoyed it. It's not as good as The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but it's still enjoyable. I'm waiting for For a Few Dollars More to come in.

I'm also waiting on some of ih8brady's recommendations.

As soon as I watch them I'll post them on here and let you know what I thought.

It's getting hard to keep up with all of the recommendations so I figured we should just dump them in one place to make it easier to keep track.

Tetragrammaton
11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I strongly suggest the movie Lost in Translation to anyone that hasn't seen it. That movie never gets old. Most people will hate it, but those that don't will keep it in their head for some time.

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I strongly suggest the movie Lost in Translation to anyone that hasn't seen it. That movie never gets old. Most people will hate it, but those that don't will keep it in their head for some time.

Great movie, i bought it for 5 dollars with no real reason to see it. Watched it one day and absolutely loved it.

In response to swordfish, i really like Natalie Portman so i might check that (beautiful girls) out.

Locke
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM

If you liked that movie Zest, I'd recommend The United States of Leland to you...

Tetragrammaton
11-25-2008, 03:04 PM
If you liked that movie Zest, I'd recommend The United States of Leland to you...

I will try it, but from a quick look at the description, it sounds like a completely different film. It is going on the Netflix queue regardless.

Locke
11-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I will try it, but from a quick look at the description, it sounds like a completely different film. It is going on the Netflix queue regardless.

Yeah, I didn't mean it was similar per se. Just judging by your taste from what I've seen, including Lost in Translation, I think it might be up your ally.

EDIT: Just read the netflix overview of it, it doesn't really do the movie justice. Kind of like with Lars and the Real Girl, description sounded stupid, but the movie was actually pretty good..

X-Pacolypse
11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
If you haven't seen Sin City, then by all means go out and rent it. Great movie!

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 06:17 PM
If you haven't seen Sin City, then by all means go out and rent it. Great movie!

Another movie i had no vested interest in seeing, figured i'd pick it up for a bargain price of 5 bucks and now i love it.

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I want to throw out another recommendation. The Slaughter Rule, it's about a boy who's growing up in the middle of no where in Montana. He's the quarterback for a six man football team. The movie follows his relationships with his friends/teammates, coach, and his girl. It's well worth the watch. They play it on IFC from time to time if you get that channel.

BTW, the football you see in the movie is real. No fake knock out blows. No flash, just old fashioned hard nosed football. Although it's not central to the movie.

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Seen it, great movie. I'm looking forward to The Spirit. Here's a little taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWm8U17QguA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1F-97xJ33E&feature=related

Blackocrates
12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Alright CedarPhin, I finally finished the trilogy. I watched A Fist Full of Dollars first and I enjoyed it. It definitely wasn't as good as TGTBTU, but I liked it. I loved the don't make fun of my mule scene. That cracked me up.

I think watched For a Few Dollars More the other day and I thought it was the second best movie out of the trilogy. I liked how Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef teamed up in this movie instead of duking it out. My favorite scene is definitely the final showdown, and then afterwards when Eastwood had a counting problem. :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations, you turned me onto spaghetti westerns and I love them. I was also able to take in a viewing of Once Upon a Time in the West and I loved that just as much as TGTBTU.

Blackocrates
12-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks ih8brady for recommending General Idi Amin Dada: Autoportrait. It was a great documentary. If anybody likes documentaries or crazy dictator's, this is your baby. I liked it much better than Triumph of the Will.

The scene that struck me the most was when Idi Amin is talking to the physicians and one stands up and makes some candid remarks. The camera focuses in on Idi's face and you can see the "killer within" look. He quickly goes from a jovial smile to a psychotic stare and it's creepy. What adds to it was the fact that you can hear his heavy breathing as if he was about to explode. What an odd but great film.

Blackocrates
12-06-2008, 05:38 PM
So I finally got one of Locke's picks in. I just finished The United States of Leland, great film. I had no idea what this was about, I just saw that Locke and Wayward were discussing it but I only glanced over the posts. I decided to quickly throw it in my queue and not read anything about it. So this is one of the rare times I got to watch a movie with a blank slate.

At the beginning I thought this was going to be a really weird movie that I wouldn't probably have to rewind in order to get a few scenes but it wasn't. The movie is weird but it flows well. It kept my attention throughout, so I didn't get lost. Ryan Gosling looks a lot different with dark hair. If you liked Don Cheadle's character you should check out Manic. It's a similar film and Don Cheadle plays a similar role. Although it's not as good as this movie.

Anyway, I definitely give it two thumbs up. If you haven't watched it check it out. Thanks for the recommendation Locke. Up next is Wayward's recommendation of 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. I'll get around to it in between football games.

ih8brady
12-07-2008, 03:29 AM
A request? I'm flattered. Well, here are a few movies I would recommend checking out, if you can find them.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Burn! (1969) This is a big-budget Italian epic about revolutionary politics and manipulation, starring Marlon Brando. A roman a clef of the Haitian Revolution, Brando is Sir William Walker* a charming and charismatic realist diplomat with a lust for women, brandy and fist fights sent by Her Majesty to a Portuguese controlled-Caribbean colony to spread the seeds of rebellion. A crafty black pick-pocket named Josť Dolores is enlisted by Walker to become a leader among black slaves working the sugar cane fields. Political pawns are pushed by the strategic Walker and the coup is a success. But the ideas of emancipation and liberation are taken seriously by Dolores and his followers and Walker is called again years later to the isle when British interests are threaten by the freedom-seekers they inspired....

Now this is breaking the trend of most film fans, but I never really liked Marlon Brando. He mumbles too much and besides the classics, he phoned in most of his performances. That said, he was fantastic in this role. He captures the charisma of a man devoted to a realist code but conflicted by the bond of friendship with Dolores that fluctuates through the film's progression. A great roman a clef on Haiti and also a commentary on camaraderie. The soundtrack and direction are quite excellent as well.

*-An odd and compelling choice for a name, he shares a certain cunningness similar to the American-Nicaguragan President but no biographical similarities.
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
The Night of the Demon (1957) Leave it to a French director's English B-movie starring a once-main stream alcoholic American actor to sum up why I watch movies. Dana Andrews stars as a skeptical American psychologist named John Holden who travels to the UK and discovers the colleague he came to visit had recently died under what would be mysterious circumstances. He meets an occultist named Karswell who leads an unusual satanic cult. Arrogant and disbelieving, Holden threatens to expose Karswell as a fraud and is given a hex. He soon learns this is the same hex supposedly put on his late friend and involves a nasty demon. The niece of said friend insists Holden investigates further and walks into a sub-culture of seances, spells, Runic texts, and superstition. Meanwhile, the time of the alleged hex is approaching.

It is odd to think that movie goers would see this with the laughably bad tripe that would supply MST3K with new episodes, but this is one of the best B-movies that was probably ever made. The mood and atmosphere is perfect with the right amount of set effects and cinematography to give a creepy feel to it and (dare I say) suspense. Jacques Tourneur does very well with direction. Dana Andrews, who was having severe real-life problems with alcoholism at the time, returned to his 1940s form and had a solid performance as the lead. Interesting was, intentionally or not, this may be the first post- Production Code portrayal of an atheist that wasn't negative. Dr. Holden was skeptical, dismissed the belief of an intervening spirit world in a direct and broad manner and was still the likable hero of the tale. Actor Neil MacGinnis was great as the charming satanist cult leader and Peggy Cummins is essentially eye candy as the cute niece of the demon's first victim. Still, a gem worth seeing for those who like monster or mystery films. Be forewarned, the demon probably won't scare anyone over the age of 10.

Trivia: The film is referenced in the lyrics of the opening song in The Rocky Picture Horror Show.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/12/ffolkes-1.jpg
ffolkes (1980) A wealthy eccentric named Rufus Excalibur ffolkes runs a paramilitary security firm called ffolkes ffusillers. When a team of terrorists hold three oil platforms for a ransom. British authorities seek ffolkes and his team of frogmen to tackle the problem as faux negotiations take place. As the terrorists prove to be ruthless, the importance of ffolkes' success proves vital as the deadline for ransom approaches.

This is quite a unique picture. The title role is taken by Sir Roger Moore, who was in the middle of his tenure as 007 at the time, a man known best for roles as suave casanovas. ffolkes is instead an asexual (possible homosexual?) misogynist who loves cats and needlepoint, and is bearded and mainly seen in wetsuits or boating clothes. Moore is great in this role that goes against most he took in main stream films/TV. James Bond fans should get a kick out of that. James Mason, Anthony Perkins and David Hedison also have roles in the film, but it is clearly Moore's show. The dialogue is fairly snappy and enjoyable. By no means a great film or must see, but I have a soft spot for it. An entertaining action film most people haven't heard of.

I will post more recommendation summaries and comments soon.....

Blackocrates
12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
ih8brady, how in the world do you find/come across these movies?

ih8brady
12-08-2008, 12:41 AM
I read (or skim) a lot about films (reviews, history, bios, etc.) and keep films in mind when picking up a new film to watch. I studied history as an undergrad including two semesters of American film history, so I learned a lot from there on now-obscure films/filmmakers. I'm different in that I hate most of modern day mainstream Hollywood films. They're cheap and lousy with poor professionals and unoriginal stories. I'd more rather count sand grains than watch a Tom Cruise movie. So, I usually look for older or foreign films. For instance, I saw Burn! in a history class on slavery, Night of the Demon through a friend and ffolkes was recommended to me because I like Roger Moore from the Saint and 007.

I also have a strong memory and can recall nearly all the films I've seen.

Blackocrates
12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
So I've had some time to take in a lot of recommendations and I'm going to post about them all here.

First, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days. I have to admit I quickly threw this puppy in my queue and I didn't fully read all of Wayward's post. Be that as it may, I was completely shocked at what the movie was about. About half way through I thought to myself, "what the hell was Wayward thinking!" :lol:. My thoughts on the films echo Wayward's to the letter, which I found odd. It is both a pro-life and pro-choice films. It's honest and horrific. My favorite scene was the same as Wayward's. I got one other little thing out of that scene. When Otillia is setting there and one of the older folks says something to the effect of, "you young people don't know what it's like to sacrifice.". You can see it all over Otillia's face that she sure does know what it's like. This film also grew on me the next day and I realized that this is a great movie.

Second, The Panic in Needle Park. Much like other drug user movies like, Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream, etc., they make me feel ill after watching them. That's their intent I suppose. This movie is worth watching especially if you like these types of movies.

Third, La Haine. Damn this movie was great. I don't know where I would rank it but it's probably in my top 30 or so. Those of you that haven't seen it check out Wayward's description in his Wayward's DVD Corner. This movie is amazing. I find it odd that the same things are still happening in Europe. At the time I watched this movie, nearly the same exact thing was going on in Greece. It's hard to pick a favorite scene but the one where the guy pulls out his system and turn tables and plays a song for the neighborhood stands out.

Fourth, Being John Malkovich. This was another goodie. I used to not like weird movies and I found out it was because I overthought the movie or while I was watching it I was looking for a twist or something. Now I've learned that when you watch a movie, especially the first time, you just watch it and let it play out. I did this with this movie and it was completely enjoyable. There are a ton of laughs in this dark comedy.

Fifth, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. This is one of ih8brady's recommendations and it was a good one. I say hurry up and watch this because they are remaking it. I was bummed to hear they are remaking this movie but the new one is going to have a loaded cast; Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Luis Guzman, John Turturro, James Gandolfini among others. The original has Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw and their characters interactions are great. Shaw plays a wonderful bad guy that thinks things through.

That's it for now, I'm still making my way through some of ih8brady's recommendations. A lot of your films are hard to find. :lol:

Tetragrammaton
12-27-2008, 01:00 AM
I am glad you liked them, swordfish.

However, you don't suggest often, which is a shame. I have the Dollars Trilogy in my queue somewhere, but I am trying to catch up on 2008 documentaries at the moment.

Finfang
12-27-2008, 01:44 AM
"The Dark Backward" '91

Blackocrates
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I am glad you liked them, swordfish.

However, you don't suggest often, which is a shame. I have the Dollars Trilogy in my queue somewhere, but I am trying to catch up on 2008 documentaries at the moment.

I'm afraid nobody will like my recommendations. :unsure:

I do have a couple though. I recently watched Once Upon a Time in America. It's a really long movie (had to do it in two days) but it's a good one. To me it's a mix between Godfather and Sleepers. It's sort of a gangster movie but it mostly follows the life of a man and his childhood friends. I figure most people have seen this one already.

Another one is American Splendor. How can a movie go wrong when it's about a guy that loves jazz records and comic books. This movie is amazing. I give it a 9/10. Paul Giamatti gives a great performance as Harvey Pekar. And Harvey Pekar gives a good narration and performance of himself. :D The movie is a biography of the comic book writer Harvey Pekar, it's just as honest as his real comic books about his real life. His comic books are also titled American Splendor, if anybody wants to have a gander at them.

On a side note, I watched the movie Elephant the other day on IFC. It was horrible. It's written and directed by Guss Van Sant, the movie won a couple of awards. But to me he missed the mark and the movie is just a pile of art house s**t. The acting is horrible, the editing is horrible. The long shots that have no meaning drive me crazy. If you like looking at the back of somebody's head or just their face as they are working on something then you might like it. What's sad is that the story is worth being told. It's a fictional movie about the Columbine school shooting. However, Gussy just exploits Columbine for his own artistic gain which is quite selfish and disgusting at the same time. The movie has high ratings but I absolutely hated it. I would be interested in hearing what others, that have seen it, think of the movie.

CedarPhin
12-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Once Upon a Time in America is a fantastic flick.

Blackocrates
01-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Once Upon a Time in America is a fantastic flick.

Sure is, it's just so frickin' long that I have to take a few breaks. Also, the cut scenes are so spaced out it would take me a minute or two to think back to the previous time.

CA Dolfan
01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Saw Valkeryie (sp?) yesterday. I thought it was good movie. I didn't want to see this movie because I thought it would be hard to believe Cruise as a german soldier. Great suspense thriller.

Blackocrates
01-10-2009, 01:27 AM
I've got a new one and man did I ever love this movie. It's called The Insider (1999). I'm sure many of you have seen it but I just got around to it. To me it has forever solidified Michael Mann as one of my favorite directors. It stars Al Pacino and Russell Crowe. It's a true story about a cigarette executive whistler blower that deals with threats and the struggles that come with deciding to do an interview with 60 Minutes.

It's a long movie but it flew by for me. I was absolutely taken in by the movie. I give it a rare 10/10. I can't recommend this film enough for those that haven't seen it. It was nominated for a lot of Oscar's but was beat out by American Beauty in almost all of the categories.

Locke
01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Just a few I'd recommend to most anyone...

The United States of Leland - I recommended this to Zest, but I strongly recommend it to anyone. Follows the thought process of a teenage boy who murdered a local mentally disabled kid. If you liked Lars and the Real Girl, or any movie in that genre really, this film will blow you away. Easily Ryan Goslings best acting job, which says a lot because he was brilliant in Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I'm thinking most of you who browse this forum have probably seen this. Simply a brilliant film. Jim Carrey is absolutely amazing in this role, which surprised me greatly because I've always found him to be a bit of an over-actor.

Snow Angels - This is gonna be a love it or hate it film, so I have no doubts a chunk who see it will not like it at all. Its along the lines of Garden State, but much much darker and serious. Sam Rockwell, probably the most underrated actor in my opinion, knocks this one out of the park. Kate Beckinsale, known more for her SciFi roles, is surprisingly believable as the single mom. I watched it with zero expectations, and walked away satisfied.

d-day
01-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Hell Night w/ Linda Blair - a true classic early 80's horror flick - starts off a little campy and cheesy but once they get locked in Garth Manor, it's all edge of your seat horror thrills - my favorite horror film next to the Shining

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082511/

Tetragrammaton
01-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Locke, I still haven't gotten to Leland, but I will soon, and I have seen Eternal Sunshine, but it is good to see someone else has heard of Snow Angels. A great film that was released to almost no attention in 2008. I only found it because I saw it on a few critics Top Ten lists.

d-day
01-13-2009, 02:36 AM
Inframan - later released as Super Inframan - an early Shaw Brothers classic! One of the best bionic kung-fu man vs mutant monsters movies ever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Inframan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073168/

omg - i found the trailor! do yourself a favor and check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okxWjilRY3s

probably my all-time favorite movie in my dvd collection

Locke
01-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Locke, I still haven't gotten to Leland, but I will soon, and I have seen Eternal Sunshine, but it is good to see someone else has heard of Snow Angels. A great film that was released to almost no attention in 2008. I only found it because I saw it on a few critics Top Ten lists.

Same, I found it while looking for another DVD to rent, decided to pick it up since I'm a Sam Rockwell fan. Beautiful Ohio is another along those lines. Can't seem to find it at all though. I'm interested to hear what you think about the U.S. of Leland once you get around to seeing it....

Blackocrates
01-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Locke, I watched United States of Leland a while back on your recommendation. I wrote about in this thread on page 1. I'm going to check out a few others you recommended once they come in, some are hard to find.

Locke
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Locke, I watched United States of Leland a while back on your recommendation. I wrote about in this thread on page 1. I'm going to check out a few others you recommended once they come in, some are hard to find.

Oh man, I completely missed your post about it. I'm glad you liked it. I'd say its probably my number 1 favorite film at the moment...

ih8brady
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
So I've had some time to take in a lot of recommendations and I'm going to post about them all here.

First, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days. I have to admit I quickly threw this puppy in my queue and I didn't fully read all of Wayward's post. Be that as it may, I was completely shocked at what the movie was about. About half way through I thought to myself, "what the hell was Wayward thinking!" :lol:. My thoughts on the films echo Wayward's to the letter, which I found odd. It is both a pro-life and pro-choice films. It's honest and horrific. My favorite scene was the same as Wayward's. I got one other little thing out of that scene. When Otillia is setting there and one of the older folks says something to the effect of, "you young people don't know what it's like to sacrifice.". You can see it all over Otillia's face that she sure does know what it's like. This film also grew on me the next day and I realized that this is a great movie.

Second, The Panic in Needle Park. Much like other drug user movies like, Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream, etc., they make me feel ill after watching them. That's their intent I suppose. This movie is worth watching especially if you like these types of movies.

Third, La Haine. Damn this movie was great. I don't know where I would rank it but it's probably in my top 30 or so. Those of you that haven't seen it check out Wayward's description in his Wayward's DVD Corner. This movie is amazing. I find it odd that the same things are still happening in Europe. At the time I watched this movie, nearly the same exact thing was going on in Greece. It's hard to pick a favorite scene but the one where the guy pulls out his system and turn tables and plays a song for the neighborhood stands out.

Fourth, Being John Malkovich. This was another goodie. I used to not like weird movies and I found out it was because I overthought the movie or while I was watching it I was looking for a twist or something. Now I've learned that when you watch a movie, especially the first time, you just watch it and let it play out. I did this with this movie and it was completely enjoyable. There are a ton of laughs in this dark comedy.

Fifth, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. This is one of ih8brady's recommendations and it was a good one. I say hurry up and watch this because they are remaking it. I was bummed to hear they are remaking this movie but the new one is going to have a loaded cast; Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Luis Guzman, John Turturro, James Gandolfini among others. The original has Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw and their characters interactions are great. Shaw plays a wonderful bad guy that thinks things through.

That's it for now, I'm still making my way through some of ih8brady's recommendations. A lot of your films are hard to find. :lol:

Check out TCM, they always have something good on and a few movies I've mentioned previously aired within the last week. It is probably the only TV channel with consistently good programming.

Thanks for the heads up on Elephant, I was somewhat curious about it but it doesnt sound too intriguing now.

Blackocrates
01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Check out TCM, they always have something good on and a few movies I've mentioned previously aired within the last week. It is probably the only TV channel with consistently good programming.

Thanks for the heads up on Elephant, I was somewhat curious about it but it doesnt sound too intriguing now.

Will do, I've been without a television for a month. Had to wait for somebody to replace a fuse that blew, I couldn't do it myself because it would have voided the warranty. So I was at their mercy. I have it back now.

You may like Elephant. I've seen plenty of critics that liked it and it has a lot of good marks on different websites. I admit that this could be one movie that I just differ with most people about.

ih8brady
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Given the current political process, I would suggest possibly seeking Advise and Consent. It is a 1962 film by Otto Preminger, my favorite director. Quite controversial at the time, about the would-be appointment to Secretary of State who is accused of Communist ties (cue to jokes about It Takes A Village). Obviously, Cold War politics and roman-a-clef details dominate the film but the cast's performances are impressive and I liked how it showed the intertwining of McCarthyism, racism, homophobia, and misogyny in D.C.

Somewhat predictable possibly because it has had many imitators or inspirations, one of the better films I've seen about politics.

d-day
01-17-2009, 03:12 AM
The Terror of Tiny Town 1938

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030845/

catching this classic right now on tcm - a western/musical with an entire cast of midgets! exploitation at it's finest - the only thing that would have made this movie better is if it was filmed in technicolor!

BobDole
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
i've got a few you guys should like.

the darwin awards - for those of you that are familiar with them this movie is exactly that. for those of you who aren't - they are awards given out every year to the people that die the most idiotic deaths - natural selection at its finest. its about a guy who is obsessed with finding a way to prevent these deaths. cast is superb. i've been aware of these awards for over a decade and was pissed i didn't think of the movie first.

wonder boys - i'm sure you guys have heard of this one. the plot is hard to describe - its about a writing professor who is getting a divorce, trying to finish a book, is sleeping with his boss's wife, and gets oddly involved with his students. the script and plot are fantastic. its kind of a mix between throw momma from the train and a love song for bobby long (not really). this movie made me hate tobey maguire slightly less.

eulogy - one of my favorites. its about the coming together of an extremely dysfunctional family after the death of the patriarch. definitely makes you look at the lighter side of death.

bubba ho-tep - this one is out there. its about two residents of a nursing home who have to fight some ancient egyptian creature who feeds off the old people's souls. one thinks he is elvis (bruce campbell from the evil dead trilogy) and the other thinks he is jfk (ossie davis). this movie is both weird and funny as hell.

outside providence - another one i hope you all have either heard of or seen. there is nothing at all special about the plot - but the script is hilarious and alec baldwin is freakin fantastic. i think the funniest scene in any movie ever belongs to this flick.

kiss kiss bang bang - another interesting plot. it begins with robert downey jr running from the police and somehow ending up at an audition - where he gets the part and goes to hollywood - and teams up with a gay val kilmer on a murder case. there is a hilarious scene in the beginning when downey jr catches some guy molesting a passed out michelle monaghan that results in him getting his *** beat for defending her honor.

four rooms - tim roth is a bell hop in some crappy hotel that keeps getting held up on new year's eve by various guests. the movie is broken up into 4 parts with 4 different directors - which includes robert rodriguez and quentin tarantino.

these are just a few kind of off the beaten path movies - sort of like the ones mentioned. i'm a fan of all those pseudo intellectual flicks - about schmidt, being john malkovich, lost in translation, adaptation, the united states of leland, etc.. the only one i really didn't like was the life aquatic - i didn't laugh once. way too dry.

BobDole
01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
and swordfish - i love the movie beautiful girls. michael rappaport is the man in that flick. the only thing i didn't like was it kind of ends unresolved. many questions are asked throughout the movie to which no answers are given. i know thats the point but it still bugged me.

ih8brady
01-19-2009, 02:28 AM
i've got a few you guys should like.

the darwin awards - for those of you that are familiar with them this movie is exactly that. for those of you who aren't - they are awards given out every year to the people that die the most idiotic deaths - natural selection at its finest. its about a guy who is obsessed with finding a way to prevent these deaths. cast is superb. i've been aware of these awards for over a decade and was pissed i didn't think of the movie first.

wonder boys - i'm sure you guys have heard of this one. the plot is hard to describe - its about a writing professor who is getting a divorce, trying to finish a book, is sleeping with his boss's wife, and gets oddly involved with his students. the script and plot are fantastic. its kind of a mix between throw momma from the train and a love song for bobby long (not really). this movie made me hate tobey maguire slightly less.

eulogy - one of my favorites. its about the coming together of an extremely dysfunctional family after the death of the patriarch. definitely makes you look at the lighter side of death.

bubba ho-tep - this one is out there. its about two residents of a nursing home who have to fight some ancient egyptian creature who feeds off the old people's souls. one thinks he is elvis (bruce campbell from the evil dead trilogy) and the other thinks he is jfk (ossie davis). this movie is both weird and funny as hell.

outside providence - another one i hope you all have either heard of or seen. there is nothing at all special about the plot - but the script is hilarious and alec baldwin is freakin fantastic. i think the funniest scene in any movie ever belongs to this flick.

kiss kiss bang bang - another interesting plot. it begins with robert downey jr running from the police and somehow ending up at an audition - where he gets the part and goes to hollywood - and teams up with a gay val kilmer on a murder case. there is a hilarious scene in the beginning when downey jr catches some guy molesting a passed out michelle monaghan that results in him getting his *** beat for defending her honor.

four rooms - tim roth is a bell hop in some crappy hotel that keeps getting held up on new year's eve by various guests. the movie is broken up into 4 parts with 4 different directors - which includes robert rodriguez and quentin tarantino.

these are just a few kind of off the beaten path movies - sort of like the ones mentioned. i'm a fan of all those pseudo intellectual flicks - about schmidt, being john malkovich, lost in translation, adaptation, the united states of leland, etc.. the only one i really didn't like was the life aquatic - i didn't laugh once. way too dry.

Kiss Kiss... was really enjoyable. Mainly comedy, but maintained a neo-noir style and never became goofy or cartoonish. Downey was great and Val Kilmer was (surprisingly) good in his role as well.

Four Rooms was fairly good, but I think it was trying to hard to be a sort-of Pulp Fiction like mold. "The Hatchet" story and the hostage segment made the film. Tim Roth is a talented actor but seems to shine in early Tarantino movies.

uga3406
01-20-2009, 01:12 AM
This past weekend with the weather being so cold and snome snow i decided to rent some movies..so here goes...tropical thunder- 4 stars, that movie was hilarous, started out slow but funny as it went on..highly recommene it...wanted- 2 stars- thought it would b better, lots of stunts and i thought both angelina jolie and morgan freeman were wasted...the house bunny- 2 and a half stars- good for a laugh...anna farris i freakin hot..good for a laugh...traitor- 2 and a half stars- not a bad movie was kinda slow thought there would be a little more action but good acting jobs...well i hope this helped some 1 out there

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
and swordfish - i love the movie beautiful girls. michael rappaport is the man in that flick. the only thing i didn't like was it kind of ends unresolved. many questions are asked throughout the movie to which no answers are given. i know thats the point but it still bugged me.

It's nice to hear somebody else likes the movie. I know what you mean about the unresolved bit but it didn't bother me.

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I recently watched one of Locke's recommendations, which Wayward also had a nice post about in his DVD Corner. It was Lars and the Real Girl. I didn't know what to expect with this movie but it turned out to be amazing. The first half of the film has a lot of laughs and the second half turns into a sweet, endearing movie about a community coming together to help out one of their own. I can't remember a time when I saw a movie walk such a tight rope and pull it out. The movie could have easily turned into an absurd blob or a big sentimental tear jerker but it didn't.

Spoilers:

I loved watching how Lars was able to use the doll to go through all the emotions he missed out on with his mother. He experienced love, he argued with the doll, and the he mourned the loss. It's exactly what he needed.

Tetragrammaton
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Glad you liked Lars.

If anyone has not seen The Wrestler, go see it. If you have already seen it, see it again.

TheDon74
01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
If you want a quirky little movie from the 80's try "3'o clock High". It's very cleverly shot and a cult classic.

d-day
01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
If you want a quirky little movie from the 80's try "3'o clock High". It's very cleverly shot and a cult classic.

have it my dvd collection - one of the best "teen" movies from that decade - the scene where jerry gives his book report and then makes out with his teacher is classic!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094138/

Tetragrammaton
02-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Anyone who likes documentaries should see Flow: For Love of Water. It has shaken me to my core.

BARF
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
any movie from wicked pictures...

BARF
02-07-2009, 12:05 PM
just kidding just saw the movie eagle eye very good movie ver original

Dolpfan_72
02-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Curse of the Golden Flower is always a favorite of mine. Just about any of the Marvel Comics movies and you can't go wrong with One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest as far as old films go.

Blackocrates
08-08-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm going to dust this thread off and give it some life.

I have a movie I'd like to recommend, it's called The Edukators (2004). I haven't watched many newer movies in the last few months but this was one of them. I had Locke and Wayward in my mind for this recommendation but many of you may enjoy this as well.

To Wayward and Locke, watch this movie. You'll like it, maybe love it.

Sort of spoilerish but not really:

It's a German movie about a few friends that are trying to spark a new form of political demonstration. They break into rich peoples homes and rearrange their furniture to scare them. Something goes wrong and they're left with a difficult decision. They make their decision and you watch them work out their consequences throughout the rest of the movie.

It's a beautiful movie. It has many different layers to it. I gave it a 9/10 and this is while I was watching tons of old classic movies that have stood the test of time.