PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Actor

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Like the rest of us I have a lot of favorites but if I had to pick one it would be Christian Bale. I'm not afraid to admit that I have a huge man crush on him. :lol:

Here's my favorite Christian Bale movies:
Empire of the Sun
American Psycho
Velvet Goldmine
Equilibrium
The Machinist
Harsh Times
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

I also enjoyed:
Reign of Fire
Swing Kids
3:10 to Yuma
Rescue Dawn
The New World

He's good at playing a bad guy. It doesn't seem too much of a reach for him to get into "Bateman" character. In Batman Begins I saw a flash of Patrick Bateman when Bruce Wayne had to have his guest exit his mansion.

His role in The Machinist was dynamic. If you haven't seen Harsh Times check it out, it may be his best role yet. The movie is very disturbing. As is The Machinist. He tends to take a lot of psychotic roles, I guess they're more challenging. Plus, he pulls them off well.

Although you can't sweat on his childhood role in Empire of the Sun. As a kid he stole the show in that movie.

tylerdolphin
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Hugh Laurie

Tetragrammaton
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Hmm. That is tough. Philip Seymour Hoffman tends to force me to cough up the money for admission to a film. He is just so good. Casey Affleck, a fairly new actor, has been good in just about everything he has done.

As for actresses, I am a big fan of Laura Linney for her talent and Scarlett Johansson for her looks.

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Hmm. That is tough. Philip Seymour Hoffman tends to force me to cough up the money for admission to a film. He is just so good. Casey Affleck, a fairly new actor, has been good in just about everything he has done.

As for actresses, I am a big fan of Laura Linney for her talent and Scarlett Johansson for her looks.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is up there. I put him in the same catagory as Paul Giamatti. I love both of those guys.

I'm not putting Paul Newman in there because he's on his own level. Same with Pacino and DeNiro, especially their earlier work. Heck I love Robert Duvall.

Actresses would be Rachel Weisz and Natalie Portman. I also like Kate Winslet. I'm sure I'm missing one or two.

Laura Linney is a great actress. She's been in some good movies from The Truman Show to Kinsey, The Life of David Gale, etc.

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I like Phillip Seymour Hoffman a lot, he was fantastic in Charlie Wilsons War. I actually own Capote on DVD but i've yet to watch it.

Casey Affleck was very good in Gone Baby Gone, that's all i've really seen of him.

I like Bale, but not that much. Honestly i don't like his portrayal of Batman, i think he's an excellent Bruce Wayne but his Batman is just stupid. The whole deep voice thing, the stupid looking bat suits, and the effects such as the gadgets that are down right stupid (whatever that electric balloon thing was in TDK). Bale however is good in movies such as Rescue Dawn, American Psycho, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma (i liked that a lot).

My personal favorite is Paul Newman, followed by Pacino, then De Niro, then Nicholson. Robert Duvall is a great mention, i love him. I love Steve McQueen just because he's so cool. Daniel Day Lewis, Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr.

Actresses i don't really care about. Their are many great actresses who are fantastic at their craft, but i wont pop in a movie just to see Julia Roberts or something.

X-Pacolypse
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Even though he's pretty much lost his mind these days, Tom Cruise has been in so many movies I like. I would have to say it's him.

JTBRLZ
11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Matthew Perry, Robin Williams, Paul Rudd, Casey Affleck

JTBRLZ
11-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Like the rest of us I have a lot of favorites but if I had to pick one it would be Christian Bale. I'm not afraid to admit that I have a huge man crush on him. :lol:

Here's my favorite Christian Bale movies:
Empire of the Sun
American Psycho
Velvet Goldmine
Equilibrium
The Machinist
Harsh Times
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

I also enjoyed:
Reign of Fire
Swing Kids
3:10 to Yuma
Rescue Dawn
The New World

He's good at playing a bad guy. It doesn't seem too much of a reach for him to get into "Bateman" character. In Batman Begins I saw a flash of Patrick Bateman when Bruce Wayne had to have his guest exit his mansion.

His role in The Machinist was dynamic. If you haven't seen Harsh Times check it out, it may be his best role yet. The movie is very disturbing. As is The Machinist. He tends to take a lot of psychotic roles, I guess they're more challenging. Plus, he pulls them off well.

Although you can't sweat on his childhood role in Empire of the Sun. As a kid he stole the show in that movie.

How could you forgot Newsies, possibly his greatest role :wink:? Seriously though, I did love him in The Prestige, the Batman movies, and American Psycho, he's a great actor.

Dolphins7273
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Little Ben from Growing Pains.

Locke
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Ryan Gosling.

Not for that crap role in The Notebook, but for all his other ones. He plays the "slightly off" character better than any other actor I've seen.

Don Cheadle and Christian Bale would be a tie for 2nd favorite actor..

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I like Don Cheadle

Not sure what i think of him appearing in Iron Man though. I had high hopes for that franchise but i hate when movies break continuity and recast people as the same characters, especially someone as important as Colonel Jim Rhodes.

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Ryan Gosling.

Not for that crap role in The Notebook, but for all his other ones. He plays the "slightly off" character better than any other actor I've seen.

Don Cheadle and Christian Bale would be a tie for 2nd favorite actor..

Gosling was great in The Slaughter Rule. That movie was amazing. In fact I'm going to go post that baby in the recommendation thread. Have you seen it?

Don Cheadle is another good one. Hotel Rwanda and Reign Over Me, forget about it.

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Morgan Freeman
Ed Harris
Clint Eastwood
Michael Caine

To name a few more......

Locke
11-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Gosling was great in The Slaughter Rule. That movie was amazing. In fact I'm going to go post that baby in the recommendation thread. Have you seen it?

Don Cheadle is another good one. Hotel Rwanda and Reign Over Me, forget about it.

Reign Over Me was an absolutely amazing movie that isn't nearly as popular as it should be. The advertising on it was horrible leading up to its release. They tried to sell it on it's ties to the 911 tragedy, so that turned off quite a few people initially, myself included. I rented it months later and loved it, and found it ironic that it had absolutely nothing to do with 911 outside of the one minor point in regards to the plot.

Never seen The Slaughter Rule, but I'll go rent it over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for the recommendation.. :up:

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Never seen The Slaughter Rule, but I'll go rent it over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for the recommendation.. :up:

You won't be disappointed, let me know what you think after you watch it.

SpaceMountain16
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Reign Over Me was an absolutely amazing movie that isn't nearly as popular as it should be. The advertising on it was horrible leading up to its release. They tried to sell it on it's ties to the 911 tragedy, so that turned off quite a few people initially, myself included. I rented it months later and loved it, and found it ironic that it had absolutely nothing to do with 911 outside of the one minor point in regards to the plot.

I liked Reign Over Me, thought Sandler was fantastic in a dramatic role that lacked the normal stupidity he displays in his movies.

Locke
11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I liked Reign Over Me, thought Sandler was fantastic in a dramatic role that lacked the normal stupidity he displays in his movies.

He is a surprisingly good actor. Punch Drunk Love and the one he did about the Mexican housekeeper(I can't recall the name of it at the moment) were also excellent performances by him..

JTBRLZ
11-26-2008, 02:02 AM
He is a surprisingly good actor. Punch Drunk Love and the one he did about the Mexican housekeeper(I can't recall the name of it at the moment) were also excellent performances by him..

Spanglish, yea I like that movie as well.

d-day
11-26-2008, 02:09 AM
I like more of the obscure actors. Crispin Glover would be my all time fave. His role as Layne in the River's Edge was money. 2 best cinematic performances i've ever seen were Christopher Walken in the Deer Hunter and Jack Nicholson's role as Jack Torrence in the Shining. Best comedic actor is hands down, Peter Sellers. His last role as Chance the gardener in Being There was outstanding!

SpaceMountain16
11-26-2008, 02:40 AM
- Wasn't too big on Spanglish, i don't know what it was but it just didn't do it for me. Even Click which was fairly dramatic compared to his previous roles. Reign Over Me Sandler was fantastic in though. I never saw Punch Drunk Love.

- Speaking of Spanglish, i saw a movie today called 10 Items or Less with Morgan Freeman, one of the aforementioned fantastic actors, and the house keeper from Spanglish who i'll admit is pretty cute. The movie was pretty good, check it out if you have Starz.

- Christopher Walken another guy i over looked, he's a tremendous actor and is just so damn cool. Deer Hunter, Dead Zone, many other classics.

- Crispin Glover is really good in Willard, other than that i'm not too familiar with his movies. He has minor non-speaking roles in Charlies Angels 1 and 2. I think he speaks like once. He's also Marty's Dad in Back to the Future.

Some more:
- James Caan (I've always liked his tough guy characters)
- Marlon Brando
- Martin Sheen
- Matt Damon
- Kevin Spacey

I like too many actors to name......

How about ones you hate? I personally can't stand Hayden Christenson from Star Wars. He's brutal. I don't like Dane Cook, mainly because i don't think he's funny at all. Sean William Scott everybody likes but he's always playing the same character and he just annoys me. I think John Travolta is way over rated. Jason Lee totally sucks.

Locke
11-26-2008, 03:16 AM
How about ones you hate? I personally can't stand Hayden Christenson from Star Wars. He's brutal. I don't like Dane Cook, mainly because i don't think he's funny at all. Sean William Scott everybody likes but he's always playing the same character and he just annoys me. I think John Travolta is way over rated. Jason Lee totally sucks.

I absolutely can't stand Jonah Hill, which sucks for me because Seth Rogan loves the guy and puts him in most of his movies. The dude does the exact same thing in every movie, just yells. Thats his comedy, yelling. Its not even funny...

SpaceMountain16
11-26-2008, 03:18 AM
I absolutely can't stand Jonah Hill, which sucks for me because Seth Rogan loves the guy and puts him in most of his movies. The dude does the exact same thing in every movie, just yells. Thats his comedy, yelling. Its not even funny...

Jonah Hill is awful, i completely forgot about him.

Arsenal WV
11-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Tom Hanks

Johnny Depp

Denzell Washington

SpaceMountain16
11-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Tom Hanks

Johnny Depp

Denzell Washington

Love Tom Hanks and Denzel.

Depp is good, but i'm not too fond of the weird roles he's been doing like Willy Wonka, Sweeney Todd and now the Mad Hatter in the upcoming Alice in Wonderland remake. Edward Scissorhands i never liked either. Love him in Blow and POTC though.

Zandimd
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
pacino,deniro,norton,nicholson,samuel l jackson

BobDole
11-29-2008, 03:38 AM
don't really have a favorite but some i like:

christopher walken
steve buscemi
edward norton
john cusack
bruce campbell
morgan freeman

Blackocrates
12-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Did you get a chance to watch it? They keep playing it every so often on IFC.

Locke
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Did you get a chance to watch it? They keep playing it every so often on IFC.

Not yet. Been bogged down with finals. I've got it on my list to rent though, I'll let you know once I see it..

Clipse
12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Al Pacino and Robert De Niro

Nappy Roots
12-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Tupac Shakur

:D

Captain Lou
12-25-2008, 10:22 PM

Casey Afflack has been around for awhile. He was in Goodwill Hunting 11 years ago!

Treh"0"Five
12-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Finfang
12-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I like more of the obscure actors. Crispin Glover would be my all time fave. His role as Layne in the River's Edge was money. 2 best cinematic performances i've ever seen were Christopher Walken in the Deer Hunter and Jack Nicholson's role as Jack Torrence in the Shining. Best comedic actor is hands down, Peter Sellers. His last role as Chance the gardener in Being There was outstanding!

Ah "River's Edge". Love that film. Glover was great. Dennis Hopper was also in that film and is one of my all time favorites. His role as Frank Booth in "Blue Velvet" was absolutely amazing.

Another guy that comes to mind is Mickey Rourke. Everyone needs to check out "Barfly". Based on a Bukowski short story about a struggling alcoholic writer. This film doesn't disappoint.

I've always really liked Gary Oldman. What a wonderful acting job as Sid Vicious. Check out "True Romance" sometime folks. That one still stands out.

These guys are a few of my favorites but way too many to mention.

Locke
12-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I've always really liked Gary Oldman.

Good call on Gary Oldman. Every movie I've seen him in, he takes his character and truly transforms them into a believable person. My girlfriend made me watch the Harry Potter movies with her. Overall I didn't like them, but Gary Oldman as Sirius Black really stood out from the rest of the cast. Overall, I'd say he is one of the best British actors, and easily top 10 overall...

Blackocrates
01-01-2009, 10:10 AM
It just dawned on me that I really enjoy watching Billy Bob Thornton. I don't know what it is about him, he just seems like one cool cat.

ih8brady
01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
My favorite actor is also the one I'd consider the best I've seen on film, Robert Shaw. An Englishman classically trained at the RADA, Shaw spent nearly three decades acting on stage, film and TV as well as writing plays, novels and screenplays.

He was a man with a stern voice and immense stature. This really shines through in From Russia with Love where he is James Bond's most worthy opponent, a psychotic hitman working for spectre as a mock Soviet assassin. The fight on the train is one of the highlights of the famous movie series. Also see Black Sunday, The Sting and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three for similar roles, although all four are great performances in good films.

He performed well in vulnerable roles, too. The film version of the famous play The Birthday Party features a rather meek Shaw as a man caught in a caper. The Caretaker is another small framed film with emotional turmoil between three men in a spartan flat. One of his most acclaimed performances is in a difficult to find movie called The Luck of Ginger Coffey. It is about a married Canadian man with struggles in his search for occupational success and dreams of a better life.

Not to leave out his two most famous roles. First was the classic period piece A Man for All Seasons where Shaw is the infamous King Henry VIII against the defiant Thomas Moore. It was a true epic by one of the best directors in the genre, Fred Zinnemann. And Shaw's incredible performance in one of my favorite films, Jaws, where the Englishman became a New Englander fisherman, Quint, hunting a giant shark. He really gave a saltiness and slight cruelty to the role while also showing that Quint was doing it all for the thrill. He wrote the USS Indianapolis speech, as he did the famous play The Man in the Glass Booth which he adopted (uncredited) into the cinematic version.

In short, Shaw was an incredible performer.

Humphrey Bogart, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Mitchum, William Holden, Gene Tierney, Christopher Walken and Charlton Heston are other actors that really grab my attention. They're all great.

d-day
01-25-2009, 10:44 PM
My favorite actor is also the one I'd consider the best I've seen on film, Robert Shaw. An Englishman classically trained at the RADA, Shaw spent nearly three decades acting on stage, film and TV as well as writing plays, novels and screenplays.

He was a man with a stern voice and immense stature. This really shines through in From Russia with Love where he is James Bond's most worthy opponent, a psychotic hitman working for spectre as a mock Soviet assassin. The fight on the train is one of the highlights of the famous movie series. Also see Black Sunday, The Sting and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three for similar roles, although all four are great performances in good films.

He performed well in vulnerable roles, too. The film version of the famous play The Birthday Party features a rather meek Shaw as a man caught in a caper. The Caretaker is another small framed film with emotional turmoil between three men in a spartan flat. One of his most acclaimed performances is in a difficult to find movie called The Luck of Ginger Coffey. It is about a married Canadian man with struggles in his search for occupational success and dreams of a better life.

Not to leave out his two most famous roles. First was the classic period piece A Man for All Seasons where Shaw is the infamous King Henry VIII against the defiant Thomas Moore. It was a true epic by one of the best directors in the genre, Fred Zinnemann. And Shaw's incredible performance in one of my favorite films, Jaws, where the Englishman became a New Englander fisherman, Quint, hunting a giant shark. He really gave a saltiness and slight cruelty to the role while also showing that Quint was doing it all for the thrill. He wrote the USS Indianapolis speech, as he did the famous play The Man in the Glass Booth which he adopted (uncredited) into the cinematic version.

In short, Shaw was an incredible performer.

Humphrey Bogart, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Mitchum, William Holden, Gene Tierney, Christopher Walken and Charlton Heston are other actors that really grab my attention. They're all great.

robert shaw had a bit role in one of my fave all time movies the golden voyage of sinbad w/ john phillip law and the very hot caroline munro - he played the oracle - a very under rated film and the best of the sinbad movies

LtDan
01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Mark Wahlberg
Leo Dicaprio
Matt Damon
Tom Hanks
John Cusack

GoonBoss
01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a few....But, pushed to chose one?

Sir Richard Attenborough. No question. A true master of his craft.

GoonBoss
01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
robert shaw had a bit role in one of my fave all time movies the golden voyage of sinbad w/ john phillip law and the very hot caroline munro - he played the oracle - a very under rated film and the best of the sinbad movies

Did you stay home sick from school alot too?

GoonBoss
01-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Mark Wahlberg
Leo Dicaprio
Matt Damon
Tom Hanks
John Cusack

+1 for Cusack. Very unappreciated. I'd add in Tom Berrenger and Nicholas Cage as well.

GoonBoss
01-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Ah "River's Edge". Love that film. Glover was great. Dennis Hopper was also in that film and is one of my all time favorites. His role as Frank Booth in "Blue Velvet" was absolutely amazing.

Another guy that comes to mind is Mickey Rourke. Everyone needs to check out "Barfly". Based on a Bukowski short story about a struggling alcoholic writer. This film doesn't disappoint.

I've always really liked Gary Oldman. What a wonderful acting job as Sid Vicious. Check out "True Romance" sometime folks. That one still stands out.

These guys are a few of my favorites but way too many to mention.

Rivers edge was very underrated. Even in it's day.

Blackocrates
02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I guess my man Christian Bale is having a hard time focusing on set. I bet nobody will disrupt him anymore. :lol:

BobDole
02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Rivers edge was very underrated. Even in it's day.

was river's edge the one with keanu where his buddy killed his girlfriend and just left her there naked and they let people come look at her? if so that was one of the worst movies ever. painful to watch.

fatkirstyalley
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Kirstie Alley

Phinish-Him
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Kate Winslet and Nicholas Cage

Blackocrates
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Kirstie Alley

Pre-Cheers or post?

#1dolphinsfan
02-16-2009, 09:27 PM
will smith and terrence howard

GoonBoss
02-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I've always enjoyed Tom Berringer, Sir Richard Attenborough, Jeff and Beau Bridges, Dennis Quaid, Nicholas Cage, and Matthew Modine. I also enjoy Jim Paxton. Actresses usually strike me a great deal less than actors do, but I enjoy Sandra Bullock a great deal in comedic roles. GLenn Close is very good but simply isn't impactful, AFAIC.

DENVERDOLFAN
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Val Kilmer

SpaceMountain16
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Paul Newman
Steve McQueen
Robert De Niro
Al Pacino
Jack Nicholson

Bumpus
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM