PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino

Blackocrates
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Here's another good looking movie that's coming out soon. I won't pass up a Clint Eastwood movie anymore, never know when it could be his last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuJjTyEnKFA

Tetragrammaton
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't know how I feel about this one. The trailer made me laugh.

It should get Eastwood a Best Actor nomination, though.

phinfan3411
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I love Eastwood, and am looking forward to this movie.

phinfan3411
11-26-2008, 01:08 PM
A little off based here, but if you are an Eastwood fan, did you guys like Bloodwork? Not as well known of a movie, but I loved it.

Captain Lou
12-25-2008, 10:26 PM
A little off based here, but if you are an Eastwood fan, did you guys like Bloodwork? Not as well known of a movie, but I loved it.

With Jeff Daniels, right!

Treh"0"Five
12-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Ehh...

phinfan3411
12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
With Jeff Daniels, right!

Yeah, that's the one, did you like it?

fatkirstyalley
12-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Clint Eastwood ( grumpy old man with an arsenal)
Gang ( young punk kids with no ethics)

**** seems this theater will be filled with senior citizens living vicariously through Clint all the while thinking about that trouble making teen a couple houses down.

ih8brady
01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
The synopsis sounds interesting, but the trailer isn't really enticing. I'll probably see it anyways...

Blackocrates
01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I just finished watching it and it's really good. I give it a 7/10. I can't decide which is better this or The Wrestler. Walt (Eastwood) made the entire movie, and he didn't have much help. My only complaint is the horrible acting, especially by Thao. Thao ends up being one of the main characters in the movie. He's not bad the entire movie but his acting his horrible in the second half.

The first half of the movie is great to amazing, while the second half is only good to really good. I have a confession to make, I laughed at all of Walt's racist comments (and there's plenty).

Eastwood took a risk with this movie. Especially having an unproven cast around him. The story is a great story, it's original. All in all I would definitely recommend it.

DENVERDOLFAN
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM

The book was better. They took the ending in a totally different direction, but if you liked the story then I can highly recommend Michael Connelly as an author to you.

Tetragrammaton
01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Chris, we usually agree on a lot of movies, but I think Gran Torino was the worst movie I have paid to see in a long time, beating Slumdog Millionaire and the newest Indiana Jones. The ending is simply so implausible and ridiculous it numbed my brain.

If the movie was not starring Clint Eastwood, this would never be heard of.

Blackocrates
01-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Chris, we usually agree on a lot of movies, but I think Gran Torino was the worst movie I have paid to see in a long time, beating Slumdog Millionaire and the newest Indiana Jones. The ending is simply so implausible and ridiculous it numbed my brain.

I agree, but I'm partial towards Eastwood. I tend to rate movies a little more generously now a days.

Edit: I'm starting to find it more difficult to rate movies. I don't have a formula or anything I sort of just arbitrarily throw a number out there. I do it on imdb mostly to keep up with movies that I have seen.

Of the last few movies that I have seen, Defiance, Gran Torino, and The Wrestler, I can see where people would hate them or love them.

SpaceMountain16
01-15-2009, 04:15 AM
I saw Gran Torino the other night and really liked it. A lot of people are saying "Clint Eastwood plays the same character as his last 50 movies" and i think thats why i enjoyed it so much. Clint playing that rough and tough gritty old guy, i just can't get enough of it. He's terrific in this movie, giving a solid performance that could very well end his acting career.

Now outside of Clint's performance, the movie was....eh.....but we can't speak in hypotheticals, Clint WAS in it, and he DID have a terrific performance.

dreday
01-16-2009, 12:59 AM
The movie was solid..Thoroughly enjoyed it.

ih8brady
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
It was a good movie. It failed to capitalize on themes like racism or the aftermath of battle experience, so I thought it was rather blunt. Eastwood performed well as did the young priest he occasionally conversed with, but I agree all the other actors were awkward and poor in their roles. I know a lot of them were young, but Eastwood, as a director, should have produced better performances. I think he's maybe starting to lose it. Not nearly as good as Million Dollar Baby from a few years ago. I give it 6.5/10.

phinfan3411
01-24-2009, 12:35 AM
My wife, and I just saw it tonight, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Will agree with many posters on the acting performance of some, like thao, but loved the story, and Clint's character.

Honestly loved the racist barbs going back and forth, reminded me of how my friends, and I used to go at it in my younger days.

Arsenal WV
01-26-2009, 01:16 PM

The end really shocked me, but I thought it was a good ending.

The things to remember though. At the end he went to the doctor and found out he had Cancer or something like that and probably wouldnt make it long.

He knew the gang wouldnt stop ruining the lives of the people in that city and the family that lived beside him. So he took it into his own hands. He went to the confession and got it all of his chest. 3 things he'd done in his life that still bothered him. I think that was a huge scene in the movie, it's like he wasnt at peace, and not until he did that do I think he was clean and had nothing on his chest. Then he went and got a haircut and got a fitted suit (for his funeral) He didnt want the kid to have blood on his hands like he had fighting in Korea. He knew that he had to take it in his own hands. So he went down there with no wepons, so the gang couldnt claim self defense.

The bottom line is, he made peace with everything that bothered him in the past and knew what he had to do. Which was take those guys out, or let them take him out. He wasnt very close with his family at all. That's one of the things that bothered him, and I think him leaving his car to the kid really made it really sound that you can be closer to friends than family. Maybe not even by choice, but that's how it happened...

I loved that movie 8.5/10

CedarPhin
01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I really want to see this movie.

JTBRLZ
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Loved it as well, especially the ending. The whole movie was hilarious.

WeVie
01-31-2009, 12:49 AM
How did the book end compared to the movie?

ih8brady
02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
What killed me about the ending is how that an old man's paused-filled rant suddenly brings out the entire everybody in a neighborhood terrorized by gang violence to take a stand of solidarity. Especially considering how much of Eastwood's final stand was just hand gestures and his presence. Could have been a great movie with better supporting cast and something plausible to confront the gangs, especially since the movie did have a strong sense of authenticness for the most part.

CedarPhin
02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Watched this last night and thought it was a pretty good flick.