PDA

View Full Version : Burress Shoots Himself Accidentally

tylerdolphin
11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg accidentally in a club. Apparantly he had a loaded gun on him and it went off...
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/29/burress-shoots-himself-in-the-leg-accidentally/#comments

SpaceMountain16
11-29-2008, 02:01 PM
So Dick Cheney was NOT involved?

phinfan33
11-29-2008, 02:36 PM
what're the chances the Giants release him?

Flip Tanneflop
11-29-2008, 02:47 PM
So last year they win it without Shockey, this year they win it without Burress?

Here's a team that loads up with depth(Hixon will fill in nicely as did Boss) and continues to dominate when their problem children "stars" go down.

tylerdolphin
11-29-2008, 02:50 PM
I dont think I even want to know how you manage to shoot yourself in the leg while you're in a club.

Vertical Limit
11-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I dont think I even want to know how you manage to shoot yourself in the leg while you're in a club.
It only happens to idiots.

dlockz
11-29-2008, 03:55 PM
i definately hope Burress gets charged with some kind of friggin crime. I am not as concerned that he had a gun in the club as much as I am about him being such an idiot that he could have accidently killed someone. This definately warrents some kind of suspension if anything does.

djfresh47
11-29-2008, 04:06 PM
So last year they win it without Shockey, this year they win it without Burress?

Here's a team that loads up with depth(Hixon will fill in nicely as did Boss) and continues to dominate when their problem children "stars" go down.

Let's not forget Osi Umenyiora. I don't believe he's a problem child though. They've done a great job of finding guys. Even last year they won it without Barber who was considered a problem. Eli went from a potential bust to SB MVP and possible NFL MVP. Somebody probably will give Gilbride a job or consider him. Which will be a mistake. Spagnuolo should be given a job ASAP.

tylerdolphin
11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Let's not forget Osi Umenyiora. I don't believe he's a problem child though. They've done a great job of finding guys. Even last year they won it without Barber who was considered a problem. Eli went from a potential bust to SB MVP and possible NFL MVP. Somebody probably will give Gilbride a job or consider him. Which will be a mistake. Spagnuolo should be given a job ASAP.
For real. They lost Strahan and Osi from their D-line and STILL have maybe the best unit in the league. Their whole team is pure depth.

CedarPhin
11-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Burress is an idiot.

That is all.

tmont
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
i loled when i saw this. he gets dumber everyday.

BillParFan
11-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Simple.

He checked his brain at the door instead of his pistol!:d-day:

CedarPhin
11-29-2008, 05:56 PM
He'll be out looking for a new job in the offseason.

SpurzN703
11-29-2008, 07:04 PM

I am sure you've seen Three Stooges stunts before. I imagine it's similar to what Burress did

Dtronic
11-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I have a concelaed weapons permit and there is NO WAY it is legal to bring a gun into a nightclub, and that's in Florida. New York and Massachusetts are some of the most strict as far as firearms.

He's going to be in big trouble.

C-Money84
11-30-2008, 01:33 AM
As soon as I saw the story on Sportscenter, I couldn't believe it...he Barney Fife'd himself. LOL, man he is never gonna live this one down. Thank God no one else was hurt and Plax's injuries weren't life threatening.

aquaman54
11-30-2008, 01:49 AM
HaHa......What a criminal,and a thug! It couldn't have happened to a nicer team,besides the Jets/Jaguars.God I hate NY,and anything associated with it.If I ever have to go north,I will go out of my way to go around it,instead of through it.Definitely,in my opinion,the Cesspool of the United States!!!

aquaman54
11-30-2008, 01:50 AM
oops......sorry....I forgot I cant use that word,however fitting it may be......apologies.

Dolpfan_72
11-30-2008, 06:00 AM
He shot himself in the leg and thus shoots himself in the foot for ever being taken seriously again. Way to go Plax, you fail at life.

GoonBoss
11-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I just heard on the CBS pregame show that Buress does not have an NYC firearms permit. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a mandatory 3.5 year prison sentance in NYC. BTW, Antonio Pierce is also involved.

Oh...And guns don't just *Go off*. You must actually manipulate the trigger in order to fire the weapon. The only exception to this is shotguns, which *can* potentially fire if dropped hard enough on the stock if a round is in the chamber.

There is also no such thing as an accidental discharge. There are only negligent discharges.

SpaceMountain16
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I just heard on the CBS pregame show that Buress does not have an NYC firearms permit. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a mandatory 3.5 year prison sentance in NYC. BTW, Antonio Pierce is also involved.

Oh...And guns don't just *Go off*. You must actually manipulate the trigger in order to fire the weapon. The only exception to this is shotguns, which *can* potentially fire if dropped hard enough on the stock if a round is in the chamber.

There is also no such thing as an accidental discharge. There are only negligent discharges.

Yeah i heard that too,

Plax is screwed.

GoonBoss
11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah i heard that too,

Plax is screwed.

Funny thing is; If he just applied for a permit, they would've let him have one. He's one of the landed gentry that are allowed Constitutional rights, unlike the peons, us common folk.

dlockz
11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Funny thing is; If he just applied for a permit, they would've let him have one. He's one of the landed gentry that are allowed Constitutional rights, unlike the peons, us common folk.

not sure that a permit would allow him to possess such firearm in a club. I have a concealed weapon license in Florida and there are certain restriction on where one can carry thier gun.

tucker
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
you can carry a gun in a club, just not a bar. no matter what..

he Cheddar Bob'd himself

dlockz
11-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Funny thing is Burress is pleading not guilty to criminal possesion of a weapon. Im trying to figure out the loophole they are looking for. He short himself, so he possessed a weapon. Is he claiming someone else shot him lol.

SpurzN703
11-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Funny thing is Burress is pleading not guilty to criminal possesion of a weapon. Im trying to figure out the loophole they are looking for. He short himself, so he possessed a weapon. Is he claiming someone else shot him lol.

It's like in 'Law and Order'. The guy clearly did it but he claims he wasn't guilty.

I'm sure it has to do with severeness of the penalty if he said he was guilty

SpurzN703
11-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Well maybe the judge will be a Jets fan and personally hates the Giants. If not, he might get off easy. :lol:

tylerdolphin
11-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Im guessing he is gonna end up pleading guilty to a lesser charge (one that doesn't have a 3.5 yr mandatory minimum).

GoonBoss
11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
not sure that a permit would allow him to possess such firearm in a club. I have a concealed weapon license in Florida and there are certain restriction on where one can carry thier gun.

You bring up a good point. In TX one is not allowed to carry in an establishment that has revenues of 51% alch sales by the drink. This effectivly means one can carry in a Booze Barn, but, NOT in a bar. I don't know any state that allows you to carry in a bar. Point is; The infraction is what it is. 3.5 years....Unless, because he's a rich football player, he gets away with it.

GoonBoss
11-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Im guessing he is gonna end up pleading guilty to a lesser charge (one that doesn't have a 3.5 yr mandatory minimum).

He's landed gentry. He's a rich popular football player....You're right.

dlockz
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
You bring up a good point. In TX one is not allowed to carry in an establishment that has revenues of 51% alch sales by the drink. This effectivly means one can carry in a Booze Barn, but, NOT in a bar. I don't know any state that allows you to carry in a bar. Point is; The infraction is what it is. 3.5 years....Unless, because he's a rich football player, he gets away with it.

Almost no state allows you to carry in an establishment that serves alcohal I agree though not much will happen. This really looks bad no matter how one paints it. I dont fault him so much for the gun, because I am a gun advocate, I though do fault him for him being irresponsible enough to accidently discharge it. He should definately get some kind of major penalty for that. Just because noone else was hurt is not even a consideration, its like drunk driving, you have to look at the possible occurance of the action.

djfresh47
12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Speculation is that he was allowed into the club with a gun because he was "ice'd," out. He also was driving around for two hours after being shot looking for a hospital that would treat him and not let his name get out.

In another positive story Eric Moulds punched a guy in the face who went to shake his hand. To make it even better he was a veteran. Gotta love pro's.

WestCKoastiN
12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
lmao ESPN reports that he tried to make it private and went under the name "Harris Smith" and claimed he was shot at a local Apple Bees.

tucker
12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
lol

dreday
12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Now that's how you "Break Yo-Self".......

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=break+yourself

tylerdolphin
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
He's landed gentry. He's a rich popular football player....You're right.
Wow. Looks like he won't be getting any treatment. They are saying no deals for Plax.

Prosecutors are not expected to go easy on Giants receiver Plaxico Burress (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/01/no-deals-expected-for-burress/#), according to the folks at SNY.tv.
Per SNY, prosecutors want Burress to be jailed for his alleged violations of New York weapons laws, and little or no concessions will be made for him.
The stance isnít surprising, given that popular New York mayor Michael Bloomberg made clear on Monday his desire that Burress be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
SNY also reports that Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce is not expected to be a focal point of the investigation. Pierce has been cooperating with authorities, which likely has prompted the powers-that-be to view him more favorably, especially since Pierceís testimony in court could go a long way toward delivering a verdict against Burress.
If convicted on either pending charge, Burress faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years.
Thus, if prosecutors arenít inclined to strike a deal, thereís simply no good way out of this for Burress. In the end, heíll likely choose to spend a ton of money fighting the charges in the hopes of drawing a jury that isnít inclined to convict a guy who made, as lawyer Benjamin Brafman already is characterizing it, an isolated mistake.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/01/no-deals-expected-for-burress/

He's screwed.

CedarPhin
12-02-2008, 02:06 PM
He's the legless guy on the beach with the tide coming in.

tucker
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
truthfully Bloomerberg is overreacting

on a side note, this is funny

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/12/BurressBullet-1.gif

tylerdolphin
12-02-2008, 10:34 PM
truthfully Bloomerberg is overreacting

on a side note, this is funny

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/12/BurressBullet-1.gif
:sidelol: Thats freakin hillarious

shula_guy
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Where is Godell on this?
Has he made a statement at least?
Why is it he can throw out a 15,000 dollar fine for name calling the very next day but on something like this he stays silent?
BTW I also heard today that not only cant the Giants get back his signing bonus money but he is also entitled to another million from them in December.

GoonBoss
12-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Where is Godell on this?
Has he made a statement at least?
Why is it he can throw out a 15,000 dollar fine for name calling the very next day but on something like this he stays silent?
BTW I also heard today that not only cant the Giants get back his signing bonus money but he is also entitled to another million from them in December.

I'm surprised. This is clearly a "Non football related' injury.

GoonBoss
12-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Almost no state allows you to carry in an establishment that serves alcohal I agree though not much will happen. This really looks bad no matter how one paints it. I dont fault him so much for the gun, because I am a gun advocate, I though do fault him for him being irresponsible enough to accidently discharge it. He should definately get some kind of major penalty for that. Just because noone else was hurt is not even a consideration, its like drunk driving, you have to look at the possible occurance of the action.

D....You will not find another more RTKAB advocate than me. He did not accidentally dischage that weapon. He NEGLIGENTLY discharged it. I hold resident permits in TX, and, non resident in certain Counties in PA and, in the state of Florida. I keep one on my hip stong side and, one in my off side ankle almost every time I leave the house. I simply do not go into places that restrict my rights.

Plax was a dummy. He was probably handleing the weapon and, he didn't have trigger disciplne, and, he discharged his weapon. One thing is for sure..That gun did NOT just "Go Off"
:lol:

shula_guy
12-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Anti gun advocates eat that "gun just went off stuff" up! It fits well into their agenda that they are too dangerous to own even if your a responsible owner.

Personally I wont need a gun once I get enough money saved for my F14 Tomcat navy fighter plane (used of course, the bank wont give me financing for a new one).

Im throwing a charity kegger this April to help raise funds if anyone is intrested on showing and making some donations. I promise you I wont be bringing it to any clubs. Pm me for directions if needed!

quinninin1
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I kinda find it stupid if Plax gets 3.5 years in jail, especially if Vick only get 23 months for being the mastermind of a dog fighting ring..... What is really a worse crime, carrying a gun and shooting yourself, or organizing animal torture?

Vertical Limit
12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, I am hoping that he does get that jail time. I'm sure the Mayor is too. Manhattan is a ****ing mess (especially around the radius of 125th and Lexington), and it can be pretty dangerous on some areas during the late hours. What better way to set an example about the law the Mayor wrote himself than using a known star in NY like Plaxico as an example.

tucker
12-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Less than 10% of people charged with having an illegal firearm under this new legislation have actually gone to prison. There's hope for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/nyregion/03about.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

dlockz
12-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Less than 10% of people charged with having an illegal firearm under this new legislation have actually gone to prison. There's hope for him.

good find. This does shed new light on this so called get tuff law. I truly do not like mandatory imposement laws because there are differant situations. i dont think Burress deserves a long jail term but he does deserve something. The problem with a mandatory law is that it treats him being stupid with possible bad things happening the same as someone that robs somebody and its not the same.

tylerdolphin
12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
good find. This does shed new light on this so called get tuff law. I truly do not like mandatory imposement laws because there are differant situations. i dont think Burress deserves a long jail term but he does deserve something. The problem with a mandatory law is that it treats him being stupid with possible bad things happening the same as someone that robs somebody and its not the same.
Anyone remember that teenager a few years ago that got a huge jail sentence for getting a ******* from a girl like a year or 2 younger than him. He was 17 and she was 15 or 16 I think. Mandatory minimums suck because things are almost never black and white. It should be up to the judge to assess the situation. Thats what they are paid for.

GoonBoss
12-04-2008, 05:32 PM

This is why there is absolutely no reason for any more gun control laws. They simply will not enforce the ones they have on the books already.