PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Calif. gay marriage ban driven by religion

BAMAPHIN 22
12-05-2008, 02:00 AM
Voters' economic status and religious convictions played a greater role than race and age in determining whether they supported the Nov. 4 ballot measure outlawing same-sex marriage in California, a new poll shows.

The ban drew its strongest support from both evangelical Christians and voters who didn't attend college, according to results released Wednesday by the Public Policy Institute of California.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-12-04-gay-poll_N.htm

LouPhinFan
12-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Suprised?

deephin
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
obviously it is driven by religion because most people have no problem with what sexuality you are as long as it does no harm myself along with many others do not see whay there would be a problem with it.

emeraldfin
01-16-2009, 11:45 AM
What was the issue for over-turning the ban on gay marrige?

What I mean is why did the anti gay marrige supports oppose same sex marrige? What was there reasoning behind it?

jguig
01-25-2009, 01:35 AM
I have my doubts about this "Public Policy Institute" based in California. That could be an organization with a bias as this kind of thing happens frequently. I wonder where they derive their funding from.

While one might try to infer a blaming of religion in the outcome of this "study," I wonder how this could be true since most people don't actively attend religious services. It just isn't logical to make such a comment which further weakens the credibility of the "study."

Perhaps most average Americans just don't want the definiton of marriage to change from what it has meant for more than 5,000 years. Is that the same as civil unions...no. But it is not marriage.

Locke
01-27-2009, 05:07 AM
While one might try to infer a blaming of religion in the outcome of this "study," I wonder how this could be true since most people don't actively attend religious services. It just isn't logical to make such a comment which further weakens the credibility of the "study."

Ingroup/outgroup effect. If someone considers themselves a christian, then they associate themselves with that group. Normally, to be accepted as part of a group, you have to behave in a way that is socially acceptable to that social circle. That applies to behavior, schools of thought, how leisure time is spent, etc. Since, in general, Christians don't believe same-sex marriages should be allowed, anyone who considers themself a member of that ingroup is going to answer that same way, regardless of their actual attendance to church.

This is by no means a slam on Christianity. The same thing is in effect for any kind of group you can think of. High school athletes, outdoorsmen, hunters, anything you could really put a 'group' label on. If you consider yourself a part of that group, you'll try to behave in a way that reinforces your status as a member....

PhinPhan1227
01-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Hypocracy. I know quite a few declared Christians who don't have much of a problem with adultry, but are terrified of homosexuals. It's not about religion, it's about fear.

ih8brady
03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Hypocracy. I know quite a few declared Christians who don't have much of a problem with adultry, but are terrified of homosexuals. It's not about religion, it's about fear.

How is it hypocrisy? It is disingenuous to claim it is about preserving the word "marriage" or the sanctity/honor of the concept, but they believe that the Bible is true, ergo gays are an abomination. They are honestly following the traditions of their books. It's not like the rapture or Xmas or Mormonism and other concepts added to the dogma centuries after the religion's creation.

Logical? No. Moral? No. But not hypocritical. They are lying when they say it is about the sanctity of marriage(no complaints when Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire or The Bachelor came out), but their discrimination is from the religion.

Stratman Tigers
03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Religion shouldn't be the basis of legislature. I'm a Christian, and even I believe this. There is no logical reason homosexuals can't enjoy the same rights in the 21st century.