PDA

View Full Version : The Wrestler

ChambersWI
12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/12/The_Wrestler_poster-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cCNCU7zIiM&eurl=http://realwrestlecrap.proboards89.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=164737&page=2

I can NOT wait for this movie. I remember when Nicholas Cage was originally casted for this, and reading the plot of the movie thinking it would be awful, but I got to give Aronofsky and Rourke credit this looks amazing.

They went to several independent wrestling promotions and filmed parts of the movie (I was at the CZW show they filmed at), and the trailer just looks awesome.

Rourke is up for Best Actor, Marisa Tomei is up for Best Supporting Actress, and Bruce Springstein is up for Best Original Music, and the film has already won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

Again, this looks awesome

Tetragrammaton
12-16-2008, 03:30 AM
I have been excited for this for a while. Rourke looks like he deserves Best Actor, but the Academy loves Sean Penn, so who knows what will happen.

JTBRLZ
12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I am absolutely pumped to see this, anybody know when it comes out? Bill Simmons just put a review of it up on ESPN.com.

Tetragrammaton
12-19-2008, 10:45 PM
It isn't going to have a set release date. It will probably start limited and expand. Since you live in New York, you will get it before me. But to contend for the Oscars, it will premiere this month.

ChambersWI
12-19-2008, 11:18 PM
it's a stagnant showing. Different cities are getting the movie at different times. Harrisburg doesn't get the movie till January 23, Philly Jan 7th

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/3041

here's the list of release dates per city

Gonzo
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Damn, I have to wait until Jan. 9th.

Blackocrates
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I saw the movie today. I had really high expectations for it so it didn't blow me away. It's a really good movie, I give it a 7/10 tops. Rourke is great in the movie, you don't have to like wrestling to like the movie. Although if you were a fan of wrestling in the 80's (NWA, WCW) you'll appreciate it a little more. It's a sad story that speaks truth to a lot of peoples lives.

This movie took me back to my childhood when I would go to small shows where washed up wrestlers were still trying to make a buck with broken down bodies. I remember walking up to Ivan Koloff, Dusty Rhodes, Terry Funk, etc. and being able to talk to them. Ivan Koloff had dinner at our house after one show. You could tell he really wanted a home cooked meal. He was a really nice guy. We had to give Terry Funk a ride to the hotel one time because his clunker broke down. It was exciting as a kid to see wrestlers up close that you watched on television, but as I got older it was more and more sad to see.

MoFinz
01-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I saw the movie today. I had really high expectations for it so it didn't blow me away. It's a really good movie, I give it a 7/10 tops. Rourke is great in the movie, you don't have to like wrestling to like the movie. Although if you were a fan of wrestling in the 80's (NWA, WCW) you'll appreciate it a little more. It's a sad story that speaks truth to a lot of peoples lives.

This movie took me back to my childhood when I would go to small shows where washed up wrestlers were still trying to make a buck with broken down bodies. I remember walking up to Ivan Koloff, Dusty Rhodes, Terry Funk, etc. and being able to talk to them. Ivan Koloff had dinner at our house after one show. You could tell he really wanted a home cooked meal. He was a really nice guy. We had to give Terry Funk a ride to the hotel one time because his clunker broke down. It was exciting as a kid to see wrestlers up close that you watched on television, but as I got older it was more and more sad to see.

I know what ya mean brother, i have shared your visions.

BTW, did i mention me and a buddy are giving the Iron Sheik a ride up to West Va. in a couple weeks? Think i might take a video camera and some booze? Think ya smell a YouTube hit?:lol:

I never considered it sad to catch some of these guys working high school gym shows....they get another 15 minutes of glory, and i get to rub elbows with some idols.

As far as the movie, i'm afraid like you, my own desire to see it will make it hard to meet my expectation. But the reviews have me hopeful

SpaceMountain16
01-15-2009, 04:16 AM
I saw this the other day and really liked it. Mickey Rourke does a fine job as Randy the Ram. I can't even describe how cool this movie was, especially to a wrestling fan like myself. Rourke does a fantastic job of showing a guy who's broken down, but still trying to relive his glory days.

Also Marisa Tomei is in it and WHOA!

Blackocrates
01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I forgot to mention Tomei. :hitit: Her role should get every guy in this forum to see the movie. She plays a stripper and she doesn't cut corners. :D

Tetragrammaton
01-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Wow. What a great movie. It is my generation's Raging Bull.

fatkirstyalley
01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I have heard this is a great movie. I am a big wrestling fan...at least i used to be. I cant wait to see it.

Blackocrates
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow. What a great movie. It is my generation's Raging Bull.

I'm glad you liked it. Sucks that it didn't get a nomination for best picture.

mullet
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Tomei is still hot, Rourke is odd looking but played his character very well. The scenes with "The Ram"s daughter were heart wrenching in a way.

Overall, worth the time (and money) to see.

GoonBoss
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM
I just saw it on DVD. One thing I liked was the proper, and, easy use of wrestling lingo. Very good representation of "Bladeing" and the communication the wrestlers use inside the ring. I thought the scenes with the daughter are very good. I enjoyed the filming style. 8/10 from me. I actually think it could've stood to be longer and explored some of the relationships more.

Dolfan3773
05-14-2009, 09:39 PM
i saw it the other day...pretty good movie

jared81
06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

QUESTION:

why did it end so abruptly?
is it implied that he died at the end?

GoonBoss
06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

QUESTION:

why did it end so abruptly?
is it implied that he died at the end?

Yes, it's implied he dies at the end. If you notice, the ref, and, the other guy are trying to get him to pin, and, get out of the ring. They can tell he's in trouble. He doesn't WANT to get out of the ring. There's nothing for him anywhere elese BUT the ring. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way.

SoJoMike
06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I thought whether he died or not was irrelevant to the ending. I think it ended that way because that was the point he had come full circle at that point. It was the full commitment at that point doing his signature move even when it COULD kill him to do it.

I just saw it this weekend on DVD and thought it was great. I'd give it a 9/10 - taking one point away only because the daughter exercised her "William Shatner School of Overacting" chops a little too much.

Tetragrammaton
06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Whether or not he died at that moment is not important, because it is clear he is going to die in the ring at some point.

I had the same thought you did for awhile. Would it have had the same dramatic effect if we had to see his lifeless body? That cut to black and the strum of Springsteen's guitar is such a great ending. We last see him in his victory formation in the biggest fight he has had in years, and that is how he would want it.

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. My favorite moment his is monologue before the final fight. It really is heartbreaking.

SpurzN703
06-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Saw the movie a few weeks ago. I thought it was great. A+ for Rourke and for Tomei's hot *** :d-day:

GoonBoss
06-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Whether or not he died at that moment is not important, because it is clear he is going to die in the ring at some point.

I had the same thought you did for awhile. Would it have had the same dramatic effect if we had to see his lifeless body? That cut to black and the strum of Springsteen's guitar is such a great ending. We last see him in his victory formation in the biggest fight he has had in years, and that is how he would want it.

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. My favorite moment his is monologue before the final fight. It really is heartbreaking.

I guess what really killed me about the whole movie was how real it was. I've grown up around professional wrestling my whole life. Not really on the inside, but, sort of flitting around the edges.

The whole movie starts on the bottom, truth be told and, that's where Micky Rourke does his best work. "Bar Fly" anyone?

Absolutely there is no worth in seeing him die in the ring. It would be just....Painful, and, could've ruined the whole movie.

Honestly, tears started coming out of my eyes when the Ayathollah was saying..."PIN ME! PIN ME!" Get the show done and, we'll deal with this like professional wrestlers always do...Behind the "Kayfabe" mask. Where nobody else can go.

Truth be told..That movie got you close to a sub culture most of you guys wipe your feet on.

Maybe deservedly so.

72champagne
07-31-2009, 06:28 AM
great movie. Roarke was phenomenal.

BobDole
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
finally saw this a few months ago. great flick. for being her age, gravity has treated tomei extremely well. rourke was cast perfectly for this type of movie. hope to see more of him.