PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady: trade bait???

Vikeman
12-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Many folks believe I am insane. Just take a minute to think this through. When TB returns, he will be 32 years old, and in effect, not have thrown a "live" pass in a game for nearly 2 years. He underwent three invasive infection clearing procedures on the knee that was bent like a pretzel! NOBODY knows if the knee will turn to sawdust from stress upon his return. Cassel has been playing excellent in his absence, and how many first rounders do you think a team like the Lions would give up for him??? Or, what else they might offer. The Pats would create cap space, and if you don't think this is not BBs M. O., then you haven't been paying attention.

BB sent the Browns beloved Bernie Kosar packing, as well as Drew Bledsoe. I am well aware of the fact that Bledsoe is no TB, but this move would serve BBs immense ego. Then if he was successful upon TBs departure, he could say, "See, it was me all the time, I am a freakn' Genius!" (No matter what, I willl never consider him a Genius.)

I believe ther is a 60% chance of this scenario playing out. Thoughts???

finfan3223
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Many folks believe I am insane. Just take a minute to think this through. When TB returns, he will be 32 years old, and in effect, not have thrown a "live" pass in a game for nearly 2 years. He underwent three invasive infection clearing procedures on the knee that was bent like a pretzel! NOBODY knows if the knee will turn to sawdust from stress upon his return. Cassel has been playing excellent in his absence, and how many first rounders do you think a team like the Lions would give up for him??? Or, what else they might offer. The Pats would create cap space, and if you don't think this is not BBs M. O., then you haven't been paying attention.

BB sent the Browns beloved Bernie Kosar packing, as well as Drew Bledsoe. I am well aware of the fact that Bledsoe is no TB, but this move would serve BBs immense ego. Then if he was successful upon TBs departure, he could say, "See, it was me all the time, I am a freakn' Genius!" (No matter what, I willl never consider him a Genius.)

I understand what your saying, but I just cant see it happening.

MarinePhinFan
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Anything is possible with Bellichick. If it happens it won't surprise me and if it doesn't happen it won't surprise me. Brady's not going to be any good from here on out anyways. I don't care either way...

And to the jetsjetsjet retard, I guess you think all the ESPN and other NFL experts saying the same thing are brain damaged?

Vikeman
12-17-2008, 10:51 PM
FYI. Tylenol doesn't help brain damage...

Yep...the Baltimore Colts would never trade Unitas...the Niners would never trade Montana, or get rid of Rice...and OMG, the Pack would never trade Favre! If your Jets do make the playoffs, you'll find out exactly why the Pack decided to call his bluff!

Tetragrammaton
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
This season has proven that the one thing Belicheck has needed is Brady. From 16-0 to 9-5 proves this. He can lose any receiver or coordinator, but not Brady. Cassel is not nearly as talented, despite his good play, and honestly, John Beck would have good numbers throwing to Moss and Welker.

Noodle Arm
12-18-2008, 12:15 AM
I remember when Marino went down with the achilles injury and Scott Mitchell played well in his place. People were saying the same thing...trade Marino, keep Mitchell (especially Greg Cote)...Shula stood his ground and kept Dan while Mitchell went to the Lions. Marino then proceeded to throw for over 450 yards opening day, while Mitchell faded away into obscurity.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if Brady left the Patriots, in fact I'd be ecstatic, but I'm sure that Patriots front office knows better.

#1dolphinsfan
12-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Im sorry to say this but Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in NFL history if not the best

TakeOne
12-18-2008, 02:03 AM
I think Peyton is better than Brady.

ih8brady
12-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Im sorry to say this but Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in NFL history if not the best

Obviously, the question is whether or not he is damaged goods. If so, then trading him when he still has value would be smart for NE in the long term.

Vikeman
12-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I remember when Marino went down with the achilles injury and Scott Mitchell played well in his place. People were saying the same thing...trade Marino, keep Mitchell (especially Greg Cote)...Shula stood his ground and kept Dan while Mitchell went to the Lions. Marino then proceeded to throw for over 450 yards opening day, while Mitchell faded away into obscurity.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if Brady left the Patriots, in fact I'd be ecstatic, but I'm sure that Patriots front office knows better.

Don Shula had much more class and loyalty than BB.

Vikeman
12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Obviously, the question is whether or not he is damaged goods. If so, then trading him when he still has value would be smart for NE in the long term.

And people need to realize that is a big part of the equation!!!

emeraldfin
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
The thing is Cassel can play in that offense. I dont think the Pats 9-5 record is Cassel's fault. Injuries to key players, the secondary is awful and the front 7 dont get enough pressure on the QB are the reason why they are not doing as well as last season.

If its me, I would'nt find it easy letting go of a 26 year old QB with a 87.1 passer rating coming off his first full season in the NFL. In favour of a hall of famer that will be 32 when he comes back and coming off a serious knee injury that could still be problematic next season.

The Pats may never get a better QB to replace Brady again. If they do keep Brady and he retires in three years, the replacement then may not be near the quality Cassel has shown thus far.

I would'nt sleep on this coz there is alot of up-side in keeping Cassel

shula_guy
12-18-2008, 01:22 PM

I can absotlutly see them trading Brady. I dont know that they will, but I think it is being considered. I think at this point there is more upside to resigning Cassel and using Brady as trade bait then there is to letting Cassel go without anything in return. If this wasnt a contract year for Cassel it would not be a conversation.

theres two questions you have to ask yourself if your BB or Pioli.

1. Is Tom Brady going to return to his former level?
2. Can Cassel continue to play long term at the level he has played this year?

I think people overlook the impact that Cassel has been filling in for Brady because they only have nine wins. They went through an adjustment period that involved some growing pains. Cassel is now comfortable in his role and the team is comfortable with him.

I think by trading Brady it opens up needed cap relief for them, and nets them extra picks to inject more talent into their Defense, which is in dire need. They will have signed a franchisable QB and secured that postion for close to ten years(barring injuries of course).

I really hope they let Cassel walk. It would be a foolish mistake for their long term health. Even if Brady comes back at a high level, they will be in a postion of drafting another developmental QB project again plus have to look to FA this off season to sign a capable veteran for a b/u spot in case Brady's injury resurfaces.

satz
12-18-2008, 02:41 PM
After watching casell and brady from the 2001 games i have i can say comparing them i can brady is better .He took care of the ball better and his throws espeically the deep section of the field accuracy was phenominal. 01 just did not have have the horses in the WR position. They had no one who need double coverage or in the TE position. No one is talking about the OL which was bad then.The most important pt is brady in red zone even then was good. kevin falk was just moved to the role he plays now where he takes a little hitch pass for TD`s.

The most telling tales is the help casell is getting NE leads the NFL is YAC this year and 54 % of receiveing yards is after catch meaing WR and RB are padding casell`s number
of the 3,369 receiving 1,845 have come after catch and all that is added to casells number.
wes welker leads the league with 689 yds and second is antwain boulden with 595 yds .

NE has 28 million cap space now.they actually have no big name leaving so if CB from raiders become a FA they can make a run at him.

Casell will leave as they have vince wilfork becoming a FA if they hold on to both vince will become a FA. A 26 yr old NT is very rare and expensive.
seymour is also a FA but i think vince is biggest fish that will get away.

casell just does not have the accuracy of brady but he can develop it i think if he is put a environment and not a crappy team.

Last but not the least BB ,Kraft in every public question have said they want brady in for next year and cannot wait for him to get back.

I do not know what casell will become but brady is here to stay come on manning is 1 yr older and had the knee surgery do you think he should be gotten rid off ? . jets have a 39 yr old playing Qb so please stop saying 32 is old for a qb.

Vikeman
12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
After watching casell and brady from the 2001 games i have i can say comparing them i can brady is better .He took care of the ball better and his throws espeically the deep section of the field accuracy was phenominal. 01 just did not have have the horses in the WR position. They had no one who need double coverage or in the TE position. No one is talking about the OL which was bad then.The most important pt is brady in red zone even then was good. kevin falk was just moved to the role he plays now where he takes a little hitch pass for TD`s.

The most telling tales is the help casell is getting NE leads the NFL is YAC this year and 54 % of receiveing yards is after catch meaing WR and RB are padding casell`s number
of the 3,369 receiving 1,845 have come after catch and all that is added to casells number.
wes welker leads the league with 689 yds and second is antwain boulden with 595 yds .

NE has 28 million cap space now.they actually have no big name leaving so if CB from raiders become a FA they can make a run at him.

Casell will leave as they have vince wilfork becoming a FA if they hold on to both vince will become a FA. A 26 yr old NT is very rare and expensive.

casell just does not have the accuracy of brady but he can develop it i think if he is put a environment and not a crappy team.

Last but not the least BB ,Kraft in every public question have said they want brady in for next year and cannot wait for him to get back.

I do not know what casell will become but brady is here to stay come on manning is 1 yr older and had the knee surgery do you think he should be gotten rid off ? . jets have a 39 yr old playing Qb so please stop saying 32 is old for a qb.

If you think you can believe one word that comes out of that lying, conniving fraud BBs mouth, you havn't been paying attention. It is clear that you did some homework. Unfortunately, I can sum up the argument against that in one sentence. [Matt Cassel does not have the luxury of SPYGATE.] Matt Cassel actually has to wait until the ball is snapped to find out exactly where blitzes are coming from! BTW, Favre has never had his knee bent like a pretzel.

shula_guy
12-18-2008, 06:00 PM
If brady has a full recovery. He has aprox 4 good years left in him. That makes him actractive as trade bait. The question is this; Is cassel the real deal? I think he is, in BB's system, with the surrounding cast he has. I dont think this thread is aimed at saying Brady's usefullness on the field has come n gone, its about maximizing value. Another excelent point that the OP makes is BB's ego. I'm sure BB loves Brady but would also love to win the big one without him to cement the argument that BB can build a champion team without Brady. This falls in line, hand in foot in the argument with Parcells. The typical nonsense argument that BB fans like to throw around is that Parcells never won the big one without him. The common counter argument is that BB's sucess is because he was fortunate enough to have aquired Brady. I dont think it is unreasonable that BB's ego might insist upon cutting ties with Brady to put his critics to rest once and for all by winning another championship with someone other then Brady under center. IMO, that is not a far fetched postion to take.

Straztheman
12-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Terrible post. Absolutely awful.

Tailgater
12-18-2008, 06:26 PM
If brady has a full recovery. He has aprox 4 good years left in him. That makes him actractive as trade bait. The question is this; Is cassel the real deal? I think he is, in BB's system, with the surrounding cast he has. I dont think this thread is aimed at saying Brady's usefullness on the field has come n gone, its about maximizing value. Another excelent point that the OP makes is BB's ego. I'm sure BB loves Brady but would also love to win the big one without him to cement the argument that BB can build a champion team without Brady. This falls in line, hand in foot in the argument with Parcells. The typical nonsense argument that BB fans like to throw around is that Parcells never won the big one without him. The common counter argument is that BB's sucess is because he was fortunate enough to have aquired Brady. I dont think it is unreasonable that BB's ego might insist upon cutting ties with Brady to put his critics to rest once and for all by winning another championship with someone other then Brady under center. IMO, that is not a far fetched postion to take.

One thing I know for sure is BB could care less about what his 'critics' say.

If Brady was traded, the Pats would take a 10M+ cap hit next year. Combine that with the money Cassel will command and they'll have as much tied up at the position as they would (will) have if (when) they apply the franchise tag to Cassel in February, then trade him. To me, thats a hell of a lot more likely than signing Cassel long-term and trading Brady this offseason.

Given Brady's injury, what team would give up anything but conditional picks anyways? I expect they can get a 1st rd pick for Cassel, or a high 2nd at worst. (If he leaves as a FA, they'll get a 3rd in 2010 anyway).

As many point out, BB does have a ginormous ego. Enough of one to let Cassel walk and replace him with O'Connell, the qb they got in the 3rd rd this last draft, or, worst case, Gutierrez.

djfresh47
12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
The thing is Cassel can play in that offense. I dont think the Pats 9-5 record is Cassel's fault. Injuries to key players, the secondary is awful and the front 7 dont get enough pressure on the QB are the reason why they are not doing as well as last season.

If its me, I would'nt find it easy letting go of a 26 year old QB with a 87.1 passer rating coming off his first full season in the NFL. In favour of a hall of famer that will be 32 when he comes back and coming off a serious knee injury that could still be problematic next season.

The Pats may never get a better QB to replace Brady again. If they do keep Brady and he retires in three years, the replacement then may not be near the quality Cassel has shown thus far.

I would'nt sleep on this coz there is alot of up-side in keeping Cassel

The upside in having one of the two best Qb's in the league on the field surely outweighs the upside of having a decent Qb. Cassel's been alright but really did everybody forget what Brady was doing last season? I think the Scott Mitchell arguement is pretty fair.

The one way I could see them trading Brady or entertaining the idea is if Cassel leads them to the SB and they win. Belicheck got rid of Kosar but really was he an all-time great? They traded Bledsoe after winning the SB.

Do people really believe Cassel is that good or do they just want to believe that Brady will be out of the division?

MarinePhinFan
12-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Wes Welker lead the league last year in YAC. :rolleyes:

Cassel this year and Brady last year both threw the ball at the same rate from 0 to 10 yrds down field. That rate is about 60%.

Brady comp% last year 68% (After 7 straight years of NFL play.)
Cassel comp% this year 64% (After not having played since high school)

The Pat's cap space as of Dec. 14th, 2008, is just over $2million. Where in THEE hell did you get $28million? http://www.patscap.com/

MarinePhinFan
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
One thing I know for sure is BB could care less about what his 'critics' say.

If Brady was traded, the Pats would take a 10M+ cap hit next year. Combine that with the money Cassel will command and they'll have as much tied up at the position as they would (will) have if (when) they apply the franchise tag to Cassel in February, then trade him. To me, thats a hell of a lot more likely than signing Cassel long-term and trading Brady this offseason.

Given Brady's injury, what team would give up anything but conditional picks anyways? I expect they can get a 1st rd pick for Cassel, or a high 2nd at worst. (If he leaves as a FA, they'll get a 3rd in 2010 anyway).

As many point out, BB does have a ginormous ego. Enough of one to let Cassel walk and replace him with O'Connell, the qb they got in the 3rd rd this last draft, or, worst case, Gutierrez.

You know that "for sure", huh? If you're "sure" is as sure as your azz pulling stats, then I don't believe you. :lol:

MR NFLFAN
12-18-2008, 11:34 PM

I see another book coming here. Tell me is fiction all you ever write?

MarinePhinFan
12-18-2008, 11:57 PM

So you deny that the Patriot cheated?

I bet BB and the Patriots wish they could get that $750,000 and 1st round draft pick back then.

Vikeman
12-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Obviously, you know NOTHING about your own coach, or his M. O. BTW, you stated previously that you've been a Pats fan for 53 years. The Pats have only been in existance since 1960, a total of 48 years. My book is FACT based, with commentary and opinions. You are clearly the fiction writer...or maybe just follow in your beloved coach's footsteps.

Vikeman
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Terrible post. Absolutely awful.

Stop sniffin' Brady and Bellichick's jock straps.

GoonBoss
12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I would not be in the least surprised if BB did trade Brady. Not in the least.

Tailgater
12-20-2008, 01:31 PM
You know that "for sure", huh? If you're "sure" is as sure as your azz pulling stats, then I don't believe you. :lol:

It's just sooo difficult to go to a site and pull stats out of my azz like you do. Any moron can manipuilate stats to back an opinion. It doesn't make it fact.

Brady is one of the best of all time. Thats my opinion. You think you're right that he's just an average qb.

I'm very comfortable with my viewpoint. You go ahead an believe what you want. Thats fine by me.

Roman529
12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I can see Cassell being moved but not Brady. It just isn't going to happen.

MarinePhinFan
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
It's just sooo difficult to go to a site and pull stats out of my azz like you do. Any moron can manipuilate stats to back an opinion. It doesn't make it fact.

Brady is one of the best of all time. Thats my opinion. You think you're right that he's just an average qb.

I'm very comfortable with my viewpoint. You go ahead an believe what you want. Thats fine by me.

Your "viewpoint" is fine. However, you trying to say that I can manipulate stats just proves more that you are either 12 yrs old or retarded. If Brady has never won more than 10 games when his defense is ranked 15th or worse and Cassel is about to match or beat that win total with a 16th ranked defense that just betters my argument. However, your lying about stats and refusing to include them in your viewpoint is crazy.

Straztheman
01-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Stop sniffin' Brady and Bellichick's jock straps.

your an idiot.