PDA

View Full Version : Exorcism

emeraldfin
12-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Had a look at a couple of Excorisms on the web. Some of the videos I have to say are pretty chilling. But I find the whole idea of Exorcism very strange and the idea of demonic possession is something I find very difficult to get my head around.

Do people here of any religious faith believe that we can be possessed by "demons" or is it just a matter of mental illness?

Dolphan7
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Had a look at a couple of Excorisms on the web. Some of the videos I have to say are pretty chilling. But I find the whole idea of Exorcism very strange and the idea of demonic possession is something I find very difficult to get my head around.

Do people here of any religious faith believe that we can be possessed by "demons" or is it just a matter of mental illness?I think for the most part there are people who have mental illness and they think or it appears they have been possessed, but....can someone be possessed by a demon who is not mentally disabled or crazy? And the answer is ....yes....but you really have to invite it and want it to happen. And it isn't like you are completely taken over and lose your self and your identity, it isn't permanent. Don't worry that you will be taken over against your will.

There have been some very good cases of "channeling" wherein the "demon" or "spirit" is contacted and given the opportunity to express itself. Many of these have been thought to have been deceased relatives or loved ones, or heavenly angels or messengers, and one in particular to be Jesus, but all evidence points to them simply being demons from the underworld.

Research on mediums, spirit guides, channeling and psychics would be recommended to understand what that is all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channelling_(mediumistic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channelling_%28mediumistic))

But there are some quacks as well - like John Edwards.

emeraldfin
12-23-2008, 07:49 AM
I think for the most part there are people who have mental illness and they think or it appears they have been possessed, but....can someone be possessed by a demon who is not mentally disabled or crazy? And the answer is ....yes....but you really have to invite it and want it to happen. And it isn't like you are completely taken over and lose your self and your identity, it isn't permanent. Don't worry that you will be taken over against your will.

There have been some very good cases of "channeling" wherein the "demon" or "spirit" is contacted and given the opportunity to express itself. Many of these have been thought to have been deceased relatives or loved ones, or heavenly angels or messengers, and one in particular to be Jesus, but all evidence points to them simply being demons from the underworld.

Research on mediums, spirit guides, channeling and psychics would be recommended to understand what that is all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channelling_(mediumistic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channelling_%28mediumistic))

But there are some quacks as well - like John Edwards.

The strange thing I find about this doe D7 is that the Church actually has a practice and procedure for exorcising demons. IMO thats an awful lot of emphasis and time being put on something that could be just down to mental illness or like you said to channelling the spirits of the deceased or divine.

Exorcism I feel should'nt be part of any organised religion. IMO I would class demonic possession in the same ship as stigmata, bleeding statues or divine apparitions. But I still wonder why do most Chrsitian faiths pay alot of attention to exorcism when it seemingly has very little to do with the church

Dolphan7
12-23-2008, 01:07 PM
The strange thing I find about this doe D7 is that the Church actually has a practice and procedure for exorcising demons. IMO thats an awful lot of emphasis and time being put on something that could be just down to mental illness or like you said to channelling the spirits of the deceased or divine.

Exorcism I feel should'nt be part of any organised religion. IMO I would class demonic possession in the same ship as stigmata, bleeding statues or divine apparitions. But I still wonder why do most Chrsitian faiths pay alot of attention to exorcism when it seemingly has very little to do with the churchThe main church that has a set procedure and trained staff is the Catholic Church, and even they attempt to rule out mental illness and other psychological illness before moving forward with an exorcism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

True cases of demon possession are extremely rare and most protestant denominations never have to deal with them. I have been a Christian since 1993 and this thread is the first I have ever discussed it.

There are some charismatics that "claim" to have these abilities to spot demon possessed people, and then attempt a very dramatic removal of said demon, but in my opinion most of that is fake, if not all.

As far as looping demon possession right alongside stigmata, bleeding statues and apparitions I would caution against it. And I would also caution against the validity of such things when it is primarily a Catholic phenomenon. That speaks volumes to me as to the truth of these "sightings".

pumpingiron2k
03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a true demonic possession to share. So this kid I know his mother died about 5 or so years ago. My wife had been his Sunday school teacher along with his mother before she passed at the Church where her husband was pastor. When she passed (Killed in a car accident) he had a rough time accepting it and he blamed God. He even outright cursed him. The kid had stated that he wanted to kill himself and I spoke to him and convinced him to meet me. I left work early and went back to my mother in law's house with him where my wife could talk to him. He was angry and screaming when all of a sudden his eyes were completely blood shot and his voice changed. It took my wife and myself to hold him down while my mother in law was praying over him. During this time he proceed to keep cursing God and blaming him for his mother's death. Then my wife started to talk to him and tried calm him down when he said "How did you feel when he took your Grandmother". Now I am using "Grandmother" to conceal the name of the person but the demon in him called the person by name which this kid did not know, ever met or had heard of her because she had passed away when my wife was a child.

GoonBoss
03-20-2009, 03:03 PM
The main church that has a set procedure and trained staff is the Catholic Church, and even they attempt to rule out mental illness and other psychological illness before moving forward with an exorcism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

True cases of demon possession are extremely rare and most protestant denominations never have to deal with them. I have been a Christian since 1993 and this thread is the first I have ever discussed it.

There are some charismatics that "claim" to have these abilities to spot demon possessed people, and then attempt a very dramatic removal of said demon, but in my opinion most of that is fake, if not all.

As far as looping demon possession right alongside stigmata, bleeding statues and apparitions I would caution against it. And I would also caution against the validity of such things when it is primarily a Catholic phenomenon. That speaks volumes to me as to the truth of these "sightings".

The Catholic Church has long used ceremony and tightly controlled dogma to keep the rank and file in line. Most of this is an organization fighting for survival.

LouPhinFan
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
True possesions are very rare. Demons inhabiting buildings are much more common. Its much easier for a demon to hang around a house or building that has some "shady" stuff associated with than it is for them to fully possess a God-created human being.

BobDole
03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a true demonic possession to share. So this kid I know his mother died about 5 or so years ago. My wife had been his Sunday school teacher along with his mother before she passed at the Church where her husband was pastor. When she passed (Killed in a car accident) he had a rough time accepting it and he blamed God. He even outright cursed him. The kid had stated that he wanted to kill himself and I spoke to him and convinced him to meet me. I left work early and went back to my mother in law's house with him where my wife could talk to him. He was angry and screaming when all of a sudden his eyes were completely blood shot and his voice changed. It took my wife and myself to hold him down while my mother in law was praying over him. During this time he proceed to keep cursing God and blaming him for his mother's death. Then my wife started to talk to him and tried calm him down when he said "How did you feel when he took your Grandmother". Now I am using "Grandmother" to conceal the name of the person but the demon in him called the person by name which this kid did not know, ever met or had heard of her because she had passed away when my wife was a child.

well ... that's one of the most terrifying stories i've ever heard.

Flip Tanneflop
03-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Nonsense.

Jimi
03-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Nonsense.

Lol its certainly not impossible... There have been some compelling stories of both excorsims/hauntings.

Flip Tanneflop
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Lol its certainly not impossible... There have been some compelling stories of both excorsims/hauntings.

Stories being the key word.

Jimi
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Stories being the key word.

You can prove that though?

Perfect23
03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Spooky stuff

SpurzN703
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
You can prove that though?

Yet another topic there's no proof of :d-day: