PDA

View Full Version : Cuda's NFL Power Rankings, Week 3

baracuda
09-24-2003, 08:17 AM
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1) – Rebounded in grand fashion by taking care of business on the road against Atlanta. Get to lick their wounds for a week, as we take a BYE.
2. Kansas City Chiefs (3-0) – Definitely playing the best ball of anyone around. But I think Tampa would still be able to shut them down on a neutral field. Priest Holmes is my early favorite for NFL MVP.
3. Seattle Seahawks (3-0) – Pulling out a W over the Rams at home when they should have lost shows the merits of a contender. Somehow I don’t think they’ll continue winning if they play like that very often though. Key stat – they lead the league in turnover ratio at +12.
4. Indianapolis Colts (3-0) – Quietly going about their business. Struggled early against a desperate Jacksonville franchise, but quickly rebounded. Reggie Wayne you say? Scary to think that Manning has more to go to then just Marvin Harrison.
5. Denver Broncos (3-0) – Anyone else see that clinic they put on against the Raiders on Monday night? 21-0 in the first quarter against the defending AFC Champs. Portis is outstanding, and he keeps the pressure off of Plummer from committing his typical stupid mistakes.
6. Carolina Panthers (2-0) – On the basis of not playing this week they move up several notches on the charts here. That defense of theirs will keep them in every game. And having a back like Stephen Davis to grind it out means a lot of W’s for this team this year. Could grab a wild card.
7. Miami Dolphins (2-1) – One of the best defensive performances I’ve ever seen. When was the last time ANYONE held Drew Bledsoe to 98 yards passing? And 51 of those yards came on the last drive when the game was over. They will need the BYE to rest Ricky Williams, after he carried the ball for a franchise record 42 carries. Key stat though was time of possession against Buffalo – 40:50 to 19:10. Completely dominant against one of the best offenses in the league.
8. Minnesota Vikings (3-0) – By virtue of playing in the worst division in the league they have a great opportunity to win a lot of games over very weak opponents. But if Daunte Culpepper goes down, so does their season, as Gus Frerotte isn’t the answer.
9. Baltimore Ravens (2-1) – They better pray that Jamal Lewis doesn’t get injured. They have the #1 ranked rushing offense in the league, but overall the Ravens are ranked 21st in total offense, which tells you and me that they have NO passing game. I know – big shocker there.
10. Buffalo Bills (2-1) – A HUGE reality trip for them after a devastating loss in Miami. I’m also not touching their next game against a hungry Eagles team eager to get in the W column. Somehow I don’t see Bledsoe staying down for very long. They will rebound.
11. New England Patriots (2-1) – Very quietly going about their business. They are +4 in turnover ratio, which means that they are making things happen. Still, their conservative play calling won’t prevent them from losing to the better teams, as their defense is only so so.
12. Tennessee Titans (2-1) – Steve McNair continues to impress, with a 98.5 QB rating. Their defense is ranked 4th overall in the league, and will continue to keep them in every game. The key here is Eddie George. Can he still produce? He’s only averaging 2.9 a carry, and his longest run is 16 yards. Does he have anything left in the tank?
13. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1) – Pulling out a win over the Bungals does not impress me. Flip a coin, which team will show up this week against the Titans?
14. NJ Giants (2-1) – Do they have side betting going on with the bookies? Going up by 18 on the Deadskins, and letting them tie the score shows me that this team plays whenever it feels like it. They have a ton of talent, and the potential to go all the way. But they can’t take the 2nd half of games off, especially against better teams. This team can either go 8-8 or 12-4. It’s really up to them. Time for a gut check here.
15. Washington Redskins (2-1) – Too many stupid penalties tells you that we have a VERY undisciplined team here. But John Hall missing 2 field goals in a tight ball game could very well have cost the Skins dearly. But somehow I don’t think that would have mattered, as the Giants can turn it on when they want to. But if the Skins can improve on special teams, and keep their emotions in check, they have an opportunity to contend – this year.
16. Green Bay Packers (1-2) – I was tempted to drop the Pack down to the cellar after getting embarrassed against the lowly Cardinals. Because I haven’t seen this team play yet I can’t make a valid argument either way. That shall change on Monday night against the Bears. They are either going to show up and trounce the Bears, as they should, or they are going to play to the level of their competition and keep the bettors sweating it out. Either way, Favre is just too good to see this team failing miserably for very long.
17. Saint Louis Rams (1-2) – Their season is basically over once Marshall Faulk went down. It really doesn’t matter who is playing QB if you don’t have Faulk to play pitch and catch with. I also don’t like the coaching here, as they really let a sure W go out the window against the Seahawks. Mike Martz is a good O coordinator, but I have my reservations about him as a head coach.
18. Cleveland Browns (1-2) – Either the Niners are really bad, or the Browns are really fortunate. The Browns have the 31st ranked offense in the league, and their defense is only middle of the road. Evidently Kelly Holcomb isn’t the answer here. Same old mediocre Browns.
19. San Francisco 49er’s (1-2) – What do you do for an encore? You get to go to Minnesota and test your wares against a less then 100% Daunte Culpepper. Your offense is in the top 10, but so is Minnesota’s. I smell a track meet this coming Sunday in the Metrodome. Stand by.
20. Atlanta Falcons (1-2) – How long till Vick comes back? It’s going to be a long week if you can’t get on track against the Panthers this week. And how do you let Warren Sapp humiliate you by catching a TD pass? I have never liked Dan Reeves as a coach, and something like that only makes my opinion of him go right in the toilet.
21. New Orleans Saints (1-2) – The answer to your problems lies in a –3 turnover ratio. Both your offense and defense are middle of the road. What happened to the excitement of Aaron Brooks? He’s got a 92.6 rating, but the Deuce is only averaging 3.8 a carry. Are we healthy or not? Something smells rotten here. Jim Haslet can’t be comfortable.
22. Oakland Raiders (1-2) – Totally undressed by the Broncos on MNF. So what else is new? These guys look really old, and Jerry Rice without a helmet reminds me of the Klingons from Star Trek. Do something with that ugly head of yours Jerry – PLEASE!!!
23. Houston Texans (1-2) – My only question is – why didn’t Miami embarrass this team the way the Chefs did? Your defense is one of the worst in the league Don Capers. I thought that was your specialty?
24. Philadelphia Eagles (0-2) – Get a BYE and then travel to an angry Buffalo team? How’s that for scheduling hell. This my friends is a make or break game for Donovan McNabb and company. You either become competitive this week, or start working on your draft picks for next year.
25. Detroit Lions (1-2) – The good news – you are ranked 25th on this chart. The bad news – everyone else below you is just as bad or worse, which isn’t saying much of anything. The Vikings spotted you 10 points, and they still embarrassed you. Is there any hope in Motown? Don’t think so.
26. Arizona Cardinals (1-2) – Out of the cellar with a huge win over Green Bay. Nothing like playing in a steam room though. Too bad the temp in the desert doesn’t stay that hot all year long. We’ll just chalk this one up to the fluke category.
27. San Diego Chargers (0-3) – Is this team really that bad? Well, let’s put it this way, Drew Brees isn’t even ranked among the league leaders in anything, except INT’s (6). His passer rating is 58.6, which is a really bad sign, considering that the Chargers haven’t scored more then 14 in any of their three games, and they haven’t given up less than 24 in any of their games. No offense, and no defense is something usually reserved for the Bungals. And with all of that I guess it really doesn’t matter that Tomlinson is actually having another good year.
28. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-3) – They’ve got no defense – any questions? When you are giving up an average of 4 touchdowns a game it really doesn’t matter what your offense can do.
29. Dallas Cowgirls (1-1) – I just can’t stand Jerry Jones. They get a BYE week after beating the Giants on MNF, but I still can’t stand this man, or this team.
30. NJ Jets (0-3) – Absolutely woeful are the words that come to mind here. I give Herm Edwards a lot of credit though – he’s got a great attitude, and if anyone can turn this mess around, it’s him. Key stat – they were 1-4 last year and won the division. Never count the Jets out.
31. Chicago Bears (0-2) – Entertain the Pack in their new crib this week. Somehow I think opening a new stadium is not going to help their woes on the field. How long till they call the new Soldier Field, “The Spaceship”?
32. Cincinnati Bungals (0-3) – I don’t even know what to say here. Somehow I wonder if Marvin Lewis wishes he had stayed in DC? You couldn’t pay me enough money to coach this team, or even work anywhere in the vicinity of anything resembling this franchise. Mike Brown really needs to have someone feed him a heavy dose of reality.