PDA

View Full Version : Another "atta boy" for socialized medicine

PhinPhan1227
09-25-2003, 11:46 AM
15k French died from the recent heatwave, and the reasons for those deaths are as follows...

"The new estimate came a day after the French Parliament released a harshly worded report blaming the deaths on a complex health system, widespread failure among agencies and health services to coordinate efforts, and chronically insufficient care for the elderly.

Researchers were to continue working to determine what the actual cause was for the spike in mortality, the Health Ministry said. They also were to recommend ways of improving France's warnings system to better manage heat-related crises in the future.

The heat wave swept across much of Europe, but the death toll was far higher in France than in any other country.

Health Minister Jean-Francois Mattei has ordered a separate study this month to investigate a possible link with vacation schedules after doctors strongly denied allegations their absence put the elderly in danger.

The heat wave hit during the August vacation period, when doctors, hospital staff and many others take leave. The results of that study are expected in November.

The role of vacations is a touchy subject. The National General Practitioners Union says that only about 20 percent of general practitioners were away during the heat wave. "

Massive bureaucracy combined with labor unions. If that's not a recipe for disaster I don't know what is.

Barbarian
10-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Actually i believe during the Heat wave, the French were told to stay indoors and do nothing... kinda like WWII.

PhinPhan1227
10-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Lol...you'd think all the white flags waving would have kept them cool...;o)

Kamikaze
10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
I knew there was a reason I've been staying out of this forum. :sleep: