PDA

View Full Version : Seattle, Minneapolis most literate of big cities

BAMAPHIN 22
12-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Minneapolis and Seattle are the USA's most literate cities, according to an annual study examining the "culture and resources for reading" in the nation's largest metro areas.

For the past six years, the two cities have traded the first and second spots in the rankings, which analyze six key indicators of literacy (newspaper circulation, number of bookstores, library resources, periodical publishing resources, educational attainment and Internet resources) against population rates for cities with populations of 250,000 or more.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-23-literatecities_N.htm

SpaceMountain16
12-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Seattle needs something to do now that they have no NBA team and their Football and Baseball teams are abysmal. I guess reading is a nice option.

Tetragrammaton
12-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Seattle needs something to do now that they have no NBA team and their Football and Baseball teams are abysmal. I guess reading is a nice option.

When it rains all the time, I can see why they would stay inside and read.

This really does not surprise me, although I am surprised more New England cities did not make it. It also needs to be said that only one city in a red state made it on the list (Atlanta).