PDA

View Full Version : Coen Brothers

Blackocrates
12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
These guys are my favorite movie makers. I love their writing, I love their "period pieces". I've finally finished viewing all of their movies and I wasn't disappointed. There's only two that I didn't care that much for and they were Blood Simple and The Ladykillers. I'm going to have to watch The Ladykillers again because my taste in movies have changed since the first time I watched it. I was pleasantly surprised by Barton Fink and The Man Who Wasn't There, both of those movies are great, especially Barton Fink. Barton Fink has so many different interpretations that I'm sure some perspectives went right over my head.

It's hard to rank them but I'd have to put them like this: (top being the best)
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
No Country for Old Men
Barton Fink
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Miller's Crossing
Burn After Reading
The Hudsucker Proxy
Raising Arizona
Intolerable Cruelty
Blood Simple
The Ladykillers

Tetragrammaton
12-27-2008, 12:57 AM
I am of the opinion that The Big Lebowski is the funniest film ever made. I am also a fan of Burn After Reading and Raising Arizona as comedies. No Country for Old Men and Fargo are great, although I feel Fargo was robbed for Best Picture while No Country For Old Men did not deserve it.

I need to see more of their movies as soon as possible.

Blackocrates
01-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I am of the opinion that The Big Lebowski is the funniest film ever made. I am also a fan of Burn After Reading and Raising Arizona as comedies. No Country for Old Men and Fargo are great, although I feel Fargo was robbed for Best Picture while No Country For Old Men did not deserve it.

Check out Barton Fink, I think you'll really enjoy it. I don't know if you would like The Who Wasn't There or not. I loved it.

Noodle Arm
01-02-2009, 02:59 AM
They're great. I've never seen anybody mix comedy and violence (sometimes during the same scene!) in the way they do.

Oh and sorry you didn't like Blood Simple swordfish, but if you still have the DVD...I'd recommend you listen to the commentary track from Kenneth Loring of Forever Films. I'm sure you'll catch on to the joke right away...the whole commentary is a gag written by the Coen's themselves. Plenty of hysterical moments..."Yes, the dog was in fact....animatronic!"

Blackocrates
01-04-2009, 03:56 AM
They're great. I've never seen anybody mix comedy and violence (sometimes during the same scene!) in the way they do.

Oh and sorry you didn't like Blood Simple swordfish, but if you still have the DVD...I'd recommend you listen to the commentary track from Kenneth Loring of Forever Films. I'm sure you'll catch on to the joke right away...the whole commentary is a gag written by the Coen's themselves. Plenty of hysterical moments..."Yes, the dog was in fact....animatronic!"

It was a rental, I sent it back a while ago. I may rent it again just for the commentary.

You're right those guys sure have a perfect formula for mixing jokes and blood.

SpaceMountain16
01-15-2009, 04:18 AM
I saw Burn After Reading and thought it was pretty funny. Clooney, Pitt and Malkovich are excellent. As is Frances McDormand. The plot was a little ridiculous and pointless, but then again it is a Coen brothers movie. This movie isn't as good as The Big Lebowski, but it was pretty solid.

TheDon74
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I love "The Big Lebowski" along with being an all time great film it is also one of the greatest screenplays ever. It is studied in many film schools as an example of the 'perfect' screenplay.

If you enjoy reading as well as watching movies try an online screenplay site (there are many) and print out one of your favorite movies and give it a read. It is a different experience then a normal book. I would suggest any Coen brothers movie their screen plays make great reads.

BobDole
01-18-2009, 08:18 PM

could not agree more about fargo being robbed. thats hollywood for you. eight year olds dude.

CA Dolfan
02-15-2009, 12:05 AM
These guys are my favorite movie makers. I love their writing, I love their "period pieces". I've finally finished viewing all of their movies and I wasn't disappointed. There's only two that I didn't care that much for and they were Blood Simple and The Ladykillers. I'm going to have to watch The Ladykillers again because my taste in movies have changed since the first time I watched it. I was pleasantly surprised by Barton Fink and The Man Who Wasn't There, both of those movies are great, especially Barton Fink. Barton Fink has so many different interpretations that I'm sure some perspectives went right over my head.

It's hard to rank them but I'd have to put them like this: (top being the best)
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
No Country for Old Men
Barton Fink
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Miller's Crossing
Burn After Reading
The Hudsucker Proxy
Raising Arizona
Intolerable Cruelty
Blood Simple