PDA

View Full Version : 3.3 Earthquake rocks my house

Nublar7
12-27-2008, 02:28 AM
I just experienced my first earthquake. The fact that I live in South Eastern Pennsylvania, this was a very rare happening. My brother and I were actually sitting at the kitchen table playing Electronic Star Wars Battleship that my parents gave me as a Christmas present. Around about 12:05AM, the floor shook. The fact that I am 24 years old and never felt an earthquake, I thought something exploded outside. It was a very weird feeling.

I grabbed my coat and a flashlight and ran outside to see if there was anything. I thought maybe a car crashed, but I didn't think so because it felt to strong to be a car hitting a pole or a tree. Of course the worst thought I had in the back of my mind is the fact that I live pretty darn close to TMI. Remember people, I never felt an earthquake before.

I thought maybe it could have been an earthquake, so I came inside and logged onto the Millersville Seismic tracking website. I looked at their chart, and there was a big spike at 12:05AM.

I did some searching and found the USGS website. There I found what I was looking for. A 3.3 earthquake was recorded at 12:04:34 AM. The exact center of the quake was about 6 miles from our house. For the diagram though, we were located right in the big red circle of the center. It took our local news stations about a half an hour to actually start reporting it.

So, I experienced my first earthquake today. It was a little scary, mostly because I thought something exploded, but at the same time it was exciting. The bad news is that there is a huge crack running across our basement. A part of the floor is actually raised a little bit.

Dolpfan_72
12-27-2008, 02:46 AM
I thought that is what it was. I felt the quake too. Pretty exciting I gotta say but it has been so many years since I felt one I thought it was a neighbor watching a movie too loud or something at first. Last one I felt was back in 6th grade at school.

Nublar7
12-27-2008, 02:48 AM
I thought that is what it was. I felt the quake too. Pretty exciting I gotta say but it has been so many years since I felt one I thought it was a neighbor watching a movie too loud or something at first. Last one I felt was back in 6th grade at school.
They said it was felt as far away as Philadelphia and Baltimore. Being in York you still probably got a decent shake. We got a pretty good shake as(like I said above) it cracked our basement floor.

I found a news article on it:

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Earthquake-Reported-in-Lancaster-County/a8Ir9SKi3kuJqr1CRXS7dQ.cspx

CedarPhin
12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
That's always crazy when you feel an earthquake.

When they had that big one by San Jose, CA last year, I was sitting in my dorm room playing NCAA, leaning against the wall. All of a sudden, everything just started shaking, like a set of waves going through the room.

I got up, went outside, and my roommates told me that they had felt the same thing. Then I went outside and people were running around screaming.

I've felt them before, living in CA and out on Guam, but it's always a strange sensation when you feel them.

It's definitely a trip.

CalDolFan1014
12-27-2008, 06:41 PM
3.3!?!?! HAH! We don't even FEEL those over here in So Cal! :D

I think the biggest earthquake I've even experienced here was a 7.3 back in 1992. Now those are scary as hell! Good thing it was out in the middle of the desert and not near LA or any other big city otherwise there would've been a whole mess of destruction! It's been rather quiet for the last several years as far as major earthquakes have been concerned, though. They say we are over due for an 8.0 + on the San Andreas within the next 10 years!:foundout:

CedarPhin
12-27-2008, 06:45 PM
They always have bad ones hit either in So Cal or in the Bay Area it seems like.

There'll end up being a giant one off of NorCal at some point.

Amars
12-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Congrats in popping your cherry.

3.3 is nothing but when its your first one you get freaked on how the earth below you can move. The biggest I felt was Northridge 6.7. I think for every 1.0 reading it is 100x stronger then the previous number. So a 6.7 would be 300x stronger then the one you felt. The worst are the violent shaking earthquake, I prefer the rolling earthquake (imagine tremors movie).